|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one thick-set old man with a florid nose ask the nurse when she couldn't prick the tough skin of his thumb?
(a) "Are you a real nurse"
(b) "Do you want me to fetch the butcher?"
(c) "Are you afraid to hurt me?"
(d) "Don't you like my looks?"
2. Describe time in Provence
(a) It passes quickly.
(b) It's elastic.
(c) It drags on and on.
(d) Punctuality is important.
3. Peter offers a ride to whom?
(a) two Australian students
(b) a Swiss man
(c) three German tourists
(d) two Italians
4. How long do the students at the cafe keep their sunglasses on?
(a) until the waiter arrives
(b) the whole time they're at the cafe
(c) until an acquaintance is identified at one of the tables.
(d) until the sun goes down
5. What is as affordable in Provence as linoleum is in England?
(b) wood paneling
Short Answer Questions
1. Who started calling the Mayles in February?
2. How many people move the stone table into the courtyard?
3. How many fountains are there along the length of the main street in Aix?
4. What was the problem with the guests who visited the Mayles in May?
5. What guide book do the Mayles become familiar with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Cours Mirabeau considered the most handsome main street in France?
2. What strikes you about the students in Aix?
3. Explain why Peter was cheered up by the story he hears about Christian , his architect
4. What was the biggest obstacle to the Mayles in buying a house in Provence?
5. Why did the workmen the Mayles hired disappear in March?
6. What does Menicucci's assistant wear in April?
7. How does donating blood in Provence differ from donating blood in England?
8. Describe how the dogs reacted to the snow and ice.
9. What were some of the characteristics of the stone in Provence?
10. Describe the clothes Thierry Fructus, the insurance agent, wore.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)