|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Peter call when there was a problem with the house or property?
2. Who is summoned to fix the washed out drive?
3. What had some friends of the Mayles seen in their hotel room which frightened them?
(a) a bat
(b) a large spider
(c) a rat
(d) a falcon
4. What happens during the outside buffet at the party?
(a) The Mistral begins to blow.
(b) The guests watch fireworkd.
(c) Some local peasants crash the party.
(d) Some of the guests get food poisoning.
5. What takes place at the Mayles' house in August?
(a) A television set is installed.
(b) Many visitors arrive
(c) The Mayles have a lot of parties
(d) Major renovation work begins again
6. What present do the workers give the Mayles?
(a) an antique stone tub filled with flowers
(b) a music box which plays the French national anthem
(c) a bust of Napoleon
(d) a signed photo of the workmen and their wives
7. What did the Mayles hope the sanitation men would do with the tip they gave them?
(a) donate it to a local charity
(b) give it to the church on Christmas
(c) go out and have a glorious, messy meal and have someone else clear up
(d) buy Christmas presents for their families with it
8. What is the name of the bakery they visit in Cavaillon?
(a) Chez Auzet
(b) Chez Gu
(c) Maison du Pain
(d) Pain Divin
9. What happened to the elegant gathering when Vivaldi was replaced by Little Richard?
(a) The guests were shocked.
(b) The guests left in a huff.
(c) The guests protested.
(d) The elegant guests became loose and danced wildly.
10. What are the "Sayings of August?"
(a) Statements made by Menicucci and his men about the work they had to do.
(b) folk sayings of the Provencal peasants
(c) Faustin's statements about the forest fire near Grasse
(d) Statements made by mystified, tightfisted or apologetic visitors.
11. What did Massot plan to possibly do when he retired and sold his home?
(a) get married
(b) buy a little bar-tabac in Cavaillon
(c) move to Paris
(d) viksit America
12. What idea did Madame Mayle have for getting the work on the house done before Christmas?
(a) threatening to hire other workmen if they didn't finish before Christmas
(b) Inviting the workmen and their wives to a party the Sunday before Christmas.
(c) offering them more money if they finished before Christmas
(d) breaking into tears in front of the workmen at the prospect of not having the work done before Christmas.
13. What picture in the calendar he gives Peter does the postman show him?
(a) a picture of the national forest
(b) a girl wearing two coconut shells
(c) a picture of the village under snow
(d) a picture of the the goat race Peter had witnessed
14. Why can't the meter reader read the Mayles' meter?
(a) The Mistral damaged the meter.
(b) Hornets have nested there.
(c) An ant colony has made a nest there.
(d) Bees have stored their honey there.
15. What is Henriette, Faustin's wife, handy at?
(c) servicing their truck as a mechanic
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bakers are listed in the yellow pages in Cavaillon?
2. What terrible story did Faustin tell about a fire near Grase?
3. What year does Massot feel would be the ideal year to sell his home?
4. Why was the Mayles' friend looking ill at ease when they found him at the dinner?
5. What did Massot say to Peter that was uncharacteristic of him?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)