|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(b) Asks him to dinner.
(c) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(d) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
2. How is the crowd shocked?
(a) An actual baby is in the manger.
(b) Mary Alice is in one of her new dresses.
(c) Carleen is not wearing anything.
(d) Mildred is standing there with her baby.
3. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was tutor Maxine.
(b) He was having tea with Maxine.
(c) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
(d) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
4. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
(a) They do not have a teacher guiding them.
(b) They have never sung before.
(c) They have never practiced together before.
(d) No student at the school can really sing.
5. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
(c) Walnut shells.
6. There are rumors of trying to do what to Arnold?
(a) Run him out of town as a corrupting influence.
(b) Convince him to stay permanently.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Get him to marry Maxine.
7. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
8. What are Mary Alice and Grandma helping each other do when a man with a strange accent comes calling in April?
(a) Wash their hair.
(b) Wash the dishes.
(c) Make dinner.
(d) Wash the laundry.
9. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(a) Mary Alice.
(c) Baby Jesus.
10. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
11. At ________ o' clock, a reluctant Mary Alice follows Grandma out into the cold.
12. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Surprised by.
(b) Humored by.
(c) Happy with.
(d) Horrified by.
13. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
(a) Grandma's intelligence.
(b) Grandma's interest in the DAR.
(c) Grandma's beauty.
(d) Grandma's understanding of the DAR.
14. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her family lineage.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her daughter.
15. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
(a) The west.
(d) The East.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
2. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
3. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
4. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
5. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)