|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
2. Valentine's Day is coming. Around this time, Mary Alice has been secretly doing what?
(a) Planning a trip to visit her family.
(b) Making presents for Grandma.
(c) Courting Augie.
(d) Writing a brief column in the local newspaper.
3. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Two and a half dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) One dollar.
4. The annual _______________ program at the school is coming.
5. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
(a) Four foxes.
(b) Six muskrats.
(c) One bear.
(d) Two beavers.
6. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(a) Baby Jesus.
(c) Mary Alice.
7. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
(a) By helping her get dressed for the program.
(b) By having her pick out a pair of new shoes to buy from the Sears catalogue.
(c) By buying her a new wardrobe.
(d) By telling her it's her favorite holiday.
8. There are rumors of trying to do what to Arnold?
(a) Convince him to stay permanently.
(b) Run him out of town as a corrupting influence.
(c) Get him to marry Maxine.
(d) Put him in jail.
9. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
(a) Ina-Rae actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(b) The entire class plotted against Carleen to make her jealous of Ina-Rae.
(c) Mary Alice actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(d) Mary Alice and Ina-Rae had hidden all the cards meant for Carleen.
10. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Rich girl.
(b) Poor girl.
(c) Mean girl.
(d) Dumb girl.
11. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
(a) Naked except for a long black snake wrapped around her neck.
(b) Dancing and laughing.
(c) Quickly and quietly.
(d) Singing at the top of her lungs.
12. What is "Newsy Notes?"
(a) A letter Mary Alice has written to the local paper.
(b) An essay Mary Alice has written for school.
(c) A column in the paper that gives private information about Mary Alice.
(d) A newspaper column containing bits of gossip or other town-related observations.
13. Mrs. Weidenbach is the wife of the ___________, and is the leader of the local chapter of the DAR.
(b) Land speculator.
14. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
(a) Jamie Dowdel.
(b) Carleen Lovejoy.
(c) Mildred Burdick.
(d) Ina-Rae Gage.
15. What are used to cover up the human scent in order to confuse these animals?
(a) The rubber waders and walnut shells.
(b) The rubber waders and the pecans.
(c) The rubber waders and the pumpkins.
(d) The rubber waders and the corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. DAR is having its annual gathering to celebrate what?
2. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
3. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
4. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
5. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)