|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
2. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They are cautious around him.
(c) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
(d) They tease him.
3. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Buy a Christmas tree.
(b) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(c) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
(d) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
4. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A new pair of earrings.
(b) A halo she made from tin cans.
(c) A toy crown.
(d) A case of makeup.
5. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
(a) Mary Alice and Ina-Rae had hidden all the cards meant for Carleen.
(b) Mary Alice actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(c) The entire class plotted against Carleen to make her jealous of Ina-Rae.
(d) Ina-Rae actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
6. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
(a) Grandma wants to be a member of the DAR.
(b) She has a large home.
(c) She is Mary Alice's guardian.
(d) Grandma Dowdel is the best cook she knows.
7. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
8. At ________ o' clock, a reluctant Mary Alice follows Grandma out into the cold.
9. There are rumors of trying to do what to Arnold?
(a) Convince him to stay permanently.
(b) Run him out of town as a corrupting influence.
(c) Get him to marry Maxine.
(d) Put him in jail.
10. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
(a) Her family lineage.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her daughter.
11. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
(a) Grandma's beauty.
(b) Grandma's understanding of the DAR.
(c) Grandma's interest in the DAR.
(d) Grandma's intelligence.
12. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
(a) Paint a mural on the post office wall.
(b) Work as a postmaster.
(c) Build a statue.
(d) Teach school.
13. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
(c) Walnut shells.
14. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
(a) Two beavers.
(b) Four foxes.
(c) One bear.
(d) Six muskrats.
15. Who turns out to be Mrs. Weidenbach's long-lost sistert?
(a) Mrs. Wilcox.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mrs. Greene.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Maxine is gone, Grandma explains that she kept a _________ in the rafters of the attic in order to keep the birds away.
2. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
3. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
4. Does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
5. Who is her true family?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)