|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
2. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
3. Mary Alice figures her zany household has done what?
(a) Made Royce like her even more.
(b) Ruined all chances of romance with Royce.
(c) Given Royce something about which to write a story.
(d) Entertained Royce.
4. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
(a) Mildred Burdick.
(b) Ina-Rae Gage.
(c) Carleen Lovejoy.
(d) Jamie Dowdel.
5. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
(a) Ina-Rae actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(b) Mary Alice actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(c) Mary Alice and Ina-Rae had hidden all the cards meant for Carleen.
(d) The entire class plotted against Carleen to make her jealous of Ina-Rae.
6. The next day, Grandma negotiates a good deal for the hides with whom?
(a) The Burdick family.
(b) Augie Fluke.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) The local fur broker.
7. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
(a) Dancing and laughing.
(b) Quickly and quietly.
(c) Naked except for a long black snake wrapped around her neck.
(d) Singing at the top of her lungs.
8. What is "Newsy Notes?"
(a) A column in the paper that gives private information about Mary Alice.
(b) A letter Mary Alice has written to the local paper.
(c) A newspaper column containing bits of gossip or other town-related observations.
(d) An essay Mary Alice has written for school.
9. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(b) Mary Alice.
(d) The English teacher Miss Butler.
10. It turns out Grandma had been setting _______ traps earlier that day.
11. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
(a) He protects her at night.
(b) He sleeps by her to keep her warm.
(c) He hunts for her.
(d) He brings little knick-knacks from the field.
12. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
(a) Four foxes.
(b) Six muskrats.
(c) Two beavers.
(d) One bear.
13. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Mean girl.
(b) Dumb girl.
(c) Rich girl.
(d) Poor girl.
14. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Carleen Lovejoy.
(b) Ina-Rae Gage.
(c) Jamie Dowdel.
(d) Mildred Burdick.
15. What are Mary Alice and Grandma helping each other do when a man with a strange accent comes calling in April?
(a) Wash the laundry.
(b) Wash their hair.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Make dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
2. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
3. How does Mary Alice feel about meeting Royce?
4. Things are just about to go great when what happens?
5. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)