|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the answer to number 113 a problem?
(a) Mary Alice has never been in trouble before.
(b) Grandma does not allow guests in her home.
(c) Grandma and Mrs. Vottsmeier do not get along.
(d) Every DAR member looks forward to the famous cherry tarts, and it will be a terrible blow if tarts are not made.
2. Does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) Yes, if she provides all the refreshments.
(c) Yes, if Mrs. Vottsmeier does not attend.
(d) Yes, if Mary Alice may attend as well.
3. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A new pair of earrings.
(b) A case of makeup.
(c) A halo she made from tin cans.
(d) A toy crown.
4. Grandma discovers Arnold is a single man, and ___________.
(a) He may be looking for a wife.
(b) He would be perfect for Miss Butler.
(c) He may try to seduce Mary Alice.
(d) Man-hungry Maxine Patch will be trying to seduce him.
5. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
6. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
(a) By buying her a new wardrobe.
(b) By having her pick out a pair of new shoes to buy from the Sears catalogue.
(c) By telling her it's her favorite holiday.
(d) By helping her get dressed for the program.
7. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(a) The English teacher Miss Butler.
(c) Mary Alice.
8. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Ina-Rae Gage.
(b) Mildred Burdick.
(c) Jamie Dowdel.
(d) Carleen Lovejoy.
9. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They are cautious around him.
(b) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They tease him.
10. Why does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) Mary Alice has begged her to agree.
(b) The DAR meeting take place at Grandma's own house.
(c) Mrs. Weidenbach is her best friend.
(d) She wants to be a member of the DAR.
11. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(a) Baby Jesus.
(c) Mary Alice.
12. The heart of the program is what?
(a) The speech made by a senior.
(b) The dance number.
(c) The Nativity scene.
(d) The Hallelujah Chorus.
13. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
(a) Public opinion shifts against Royce and for Arnold.
(b) Public opinion shifts against Maxine and for Arnold.
(c) Public opinion shifts against Grandma and for Arnold.
(d) Public opinion shifts for Maxine and away from Arnold.
14. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Dumb girl.
(b) Poor girl.
(c) Rich girl.
(d) Mean girl.
15. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Buy a Christmas tree.
(b) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(c) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
(d) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
2. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
3. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
4. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
5. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)