|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(a) Mary Alice.
(d) The English teacher Miss Butler.
2. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
(a) Six muskrats.
(b) One bear.
(c) Two beavers.
(d) Four foxes.
3. Who invited the two ancient ladies to the DAR event?
(a) Mary Alice.
(c) Mrs. Weidenbach.
(d) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
4. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
(a) Mary Alice has gotten herself into trouble at school.
(b) She needs a place to host the party.
(c) Mrs. Vottsmeier will not bake any cherry tarts.
(d) Mrs. Weidenbach wants to be popular.
5. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
6. What is "Newsy Notes?"
(a) A newspaper column containing bits of gossip or other town-related observations.
(b) A column in the paper that gives private information about Mary Alice.
(c) An essay Mary Alice has written for school.
(d) A letter Mary Alice has written to the local paper.
7. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
(b) Buy a Christmas tree.
(c) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(d) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
8. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A case of makeup.
(b) A new pair of earrings.
(c) A halo she made from tin cans.
(d) A toy crown.
9. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
(a) She has a large home.
(b) Grandma Dowdel is the best cook she knows.
(c) She is Mary Alice's guardian.
(d) Grandma wants to be a member of the DAR.
10. Grandma discovers Arnold is a single man, and ___________.
(a) He would be perfect for Miss Butler.
(b) He may be looking for a wife.
(c) Man-hungry Maxine Patch will be trying to seduce him.
(d) He may try to seduce Mary Alice.
11. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Asks him to dinner.
(b) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(c) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(d) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
12. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was tutor Maxine.
(b) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
(c) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(d) He was having tea with Maxine.
13. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They are cautious around him.
(b) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They tease him.
14. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Old clothes.
(b) Nylon pantyhose.
(c) Bottle caps.
(d) Shoe strings.
15. How does Grandma know the child is a Burdick?
(a) It is being held by Mildred.
(b) It has one green eye and one blue eye.
(c) It does not stop screaming.
(d) It has bright red hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. At ________ o' clock, a reluctant Mary Alice follows Grandma out into the cold.
2. What is the DAR?
3. Why is the answer to number 113 a problem?
4. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
5. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)