|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They tease him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They are cautious around him.
(d) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
2. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
(a) Work as a postmaster.
(b) Paint a mural on the post office wall.
(c) Build a statue.
(d) Teach school.
3. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
4. How is the crowd shocked?
(a) Carleen is not wearing anything.
(b) An actual baby is in the manger.
(c) Mildred is standing there with her baby.
(d) Mary Alice is in one of her new dresses.
5. How does Grandma know the child is a Burdick?
(a) It does not stop screaming.
(b) It has bright red hair.
(c) It is being held by Mildred.
(d) It has one green eye and one blue eye.
6. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
(a) Public opinion shifts for Maxine and away from Arnold.
(b) Public opinion shifts against Maxine and for Arnold.
(c) Public opinion shifts against Grandma and for Arnold.
(d) Public opinion shifts against Royce and for Arnold.
7. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(b) He was having tea with Maxine.
(c) He was tutor Maxine.
(d) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
8. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her family lineage.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her husband.
9. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
(b) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(d) Aunt Mae.
10. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
11. The town seems to come down on whose side, regarding this event?
12. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
(a) The East.
(d) The west.
13. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A case of makeup.
(b) A new pair of earrings.
(c) A toy crown.
(d) A halo she made from tin cans.
14. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
(a) To relax and enjoy good food.
(b) To bring the women of the town together.
(c) To put Mrs. Weidenbach in her place.
(d) To show her friends how popular she is.
15. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Carleen Lovejoy.
(b) Jamie Dowdel.
(c) Mildred Burdick.
(d) Ina-Rae Gage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Alice feel about meeting Royce?
2. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
3. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
4. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
5. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)