|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mary Alice and Grandma helping each other do when a man with a strange accent comes calling in April?
(a) Make dinner.
(b) Wash their hair.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Wash the laundry.
2. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
(b) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
(c) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(d) Buy a Christmas tree.
3. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
4. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Poor girl.
(b) Rich girl.
(c) Dumb girl.
(d) Mean girl.
5. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Carleen Lovejoy.
(b) Jamie Dowdel.
(c) Ina-Rae Gage.
(d) Mildred Burdick.
6. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier will not bake any cherry tarts.
(b) She needs a place to host the party.
(c) Mrs. Weidenbach wants to be popular.
(d) Mary Alice has gotten herself into trouble at school.
7. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
(c) They are cautious around him.
(d) They tease him.
8. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her family lineage.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her daughter.
9. Why does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) Mary Alice has begged her to agree.
(b) She wants to be a member of the DAR.
(c) Mrs. Weidenbach is her best friend.
(d) The DAR meeting take place at Grandma's own house.
10. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
(a) To show her friends how popular she is.
(b) To put Mrs. Weidenbach in her place.
(c) To relax and enjoy good food.
(d) To bring the women of the town together.
11. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
(a) He sleeps by her to keep her warm.
(b) He hunts for her.
(c) He protects her at night.
(d) He brings little knick-knacks from the field.
12. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
(b) He was having tea with Maxine.
(c) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(d) He was tutor Maxine.
13. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A case of makeup.
(b) A new pair of earrings.
(c) A toy crown.
(d) A halo she made from tin cans.
14. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
(a) No student at the school can really sing.
(b) They have never sung before.
(c) They have never practiced together before.
(d) They do not have a teacher guiding them.
15. Who is her true family?
(a) The Fluke family.
(b) Grandma's family.
(c) Ina-Rae's family.
(d) The Burdick family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Alice figures her zany household has done what?
2. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
3. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
4. Two ancient ladies arrive for the DAR event, _______________, but they certainly aren't DAR ladies.
5. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)