|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
(b) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(c) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
(d) Buy a Christmas tree.
2. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
(a) A new pair of earrings.
(b) A toy crown.
(c) A case of makeup.
(d) A halo she made from tin cans.
3. Valentine's Day is coming. Around this time, Mary Alice has been secretly doing what?
(a) Courting Augie.
(b) Planning a trip to visit her family.
(c) Making presents for Grandma.
(d) Writing a brief column in the local newspaper.
4. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(a) The English teacher Miss Butler.
(b) Mary Alice.
5. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Two and a half dollars.
6. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
(a) By having her pick out a pair of new shoes to buy from the Sears catalogue.
(b) By telling her it's her favorite holiday.
(c) By helping her get dressed for the program.
(d) By buying her a new wardrobe.
7. Grandma also has a vial of ________ to attract the animals.
8. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Humored by.
(b) Horrified by.
(c) Happy with.
(d) Surprised by.
9. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Dumb girl.
(b) Mean girl.
(c) Poor girl.
(d) Rich girl.
10. Two ancient ladies arrive for the DAR event, _______________, but they certainly aren't DAR ladies.
(a) Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Greene.
(b) Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Alderson.
(c) Mrs. DeVane and Mrs. Castagliola.
(d) Mrs. Wilcox and Aunt Mae Griswold.
11. Who turns out to be Mrs. Weidenbach's long-lost sistert?
(b) Mrs. Wilcox.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mrs. Greene.
12. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Bottle caps.
(b) Shoe strings.
(c) Nylon pantyhose.
(d) Old clothes.
13. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(b) He was tutor Maxine.
(c) He was having tea with Maxine.
(d) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
14. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
(a) To bring the women of the town together.
(b) To show her friends how popular she is.
(c) To put Mrs. Weidenbach in her place.
(d) To relax and enjoy good food.
15. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Jamie Dowdel.
(b) Ina-Rae Gage.
(c) Mildred Burdick.
(d) Carleen Lovejoy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invited the two ancient ladies to the DAR event?
2. What does Bootsie bring that he will not allow Mary Alice to keep?
3. The heart of the program is what?
4. The next day, Grandma negotiates a good deal for the hides with whom?
5. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)