|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are rumors of trying to do what to Arnold?
(a) Put him in jail.
(b) Get him to marry Maxine.
(c) Convince him to stay permanently.
(d) Run him out of town as a corrupting influence.
2. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
3. Two ancient ladies arrive for the DAR event, _______________, but they certainly aren't DAR ladies.
(a) Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Greene.
(b) Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Alderson.
(c) Mrs. DeVane and Mrs. Castagliola.
(d) Mrs. Wilcox and Aunt Mae Griswold.
4. Why does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) She wants to be a member of the DAR.
(b) Mary Alice has begged her to agree.
(c) The DAR meeting take place at Grandma's own house.
(d) Mrs. Weidenbach is her best friend.
5. The town seems to come down on whose side, regarding this event?
6. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
7. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(a) Baby Jesus.
(b) Mary Alice.
8. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
(a) Grandma wants to be a member of the DAR.
(b) She is Mary Alice's guardian.
(c) Grandma Dowdel is the best cook she knows.
(d) She has a large home.
9. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(c) Aunt Mae.
10. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Nylon pantyhose.
(b) Shoe strings.
(c) Old clothes.
(d) Bottle caps.
11. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Dumb girl.
(b) Mean girl.
(c) Rich girl.
(d) Poor girl.
12. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
(a) Two beavers.
(b) One bear.
(c) Four foxes.
(d) Six muskrats.
13. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(a) Mary Alice.
(b) The English teacher Miss Butler.
14. Who turns out to be Mrs. Weidenbach's long-lost sistert?
(a) Mrs. Greene.
(b) Mrs. Wilcox.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
15. The heart of the program is what?
(a) The speech made by a senior.
(b) The dance number.
(c) The Nativity scene.
(d) The Hallelujah Chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
2. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
3. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
4. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
5. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)