|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are rumors of trying to do what to Arnold?
(a) Run him out of town as a corrupting influence.
(b) Get him to marry Maxine.
(c) Convince him to stay permanently.
(d) Put him in jail.
2. What is "Newsy Notes?"
(a) An essay Mary Alice has written for school.
(b) A letter Mary Alice has written to the local paper.
(c) A column in the paper that gives private information about Mary Alice.
(d) A newspaper column containing bits of gossip or other town-related observations.
3. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Old clothes.
(b) Nylon pantyhose.
(c) Bottle caps.
(d) Shoe strings.
4. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
(a) To relax and enjoy good food.
(b) To show her friends how popular she is.
(c) To bring the women of the town together.
(d) To put Mrs. Weidenbach in her place.
5. Grandma also has a vial of ________ to attract the animals.
6. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Help out at a soup kitchen.
(b) Buy a Christmas tree.
(c) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
(d) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
7. What does Bootsie bring that he will not allow Mary Alice to keep?
(a) A ball of yarn.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A twig.
8. The man was sent by the government as part of the ________________ administration's ambitious public works project.
9. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Humored by.
(b) Happy with.
(c) Surprised by.
(d) Horrified by.
10. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She is not surprised.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She laughs.
11. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
12. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
13. Things are just about to go great when what happens?
(a) A tornado hits.
(b) Arnold Green comes down from the attic.
(c) Royce says he must go home.
(d) An ear-rending scream from the attic fills the air.
14. When do Mary Alice and Royce meet?
(a) On a Tuesday.
(b) On a Sunday.
(c) On a Thursday.
(d) On a Saturday.
15. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier will not bake any cherry tarts.
(b) Mary Alice has gotten herself into trouble at school.
(c) She needs a place to host the party.
(d) Mrs. Weidenbach wants to be popular.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next day, Grandma negotiates a good deal for the hides with whom?
2. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
3. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
4. Mrs. Weidenbach is ready to__________ at these horrible new revelations.
5. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)