|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
(a) Ina-Rae Gage.
(b) Jamie Dowdel.
(c) Mildred Burdick.
(d) Carleen Lovejoy.
2. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
(a) By telling her it's her favorite holiday.
(b) By helping her get dressed for the program.
(c) By having her pick out a pair of new shoes to buy from the Sears catalogue.
(d) By buying her a new wardrobe.
3. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She is not surprised.
4. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Asks him to dinner.
(b) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(c) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(d) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
5. DAR is having its annual gathering to celebrate what?
(a) George Washington's birthday.
(b) Armistice Day.
(c) The creation of the NRA.
(d) The founding of the town.
6. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Ina-Rae Gage.
(b) Jamie Dowdel.
(c) Carleen Lovejoy.
(d) Mildred Burdick.
7. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
(a) Buy a Christmas tree.
(b) Make a wreath out of fallen fir tree branches.
(c) Cut down a fir tree to act as a Christmas tree.
(d) Help out at a soup kitchen.
8. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
9. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
(a) Build a statue.
(b) Paint a mural on the post office wall.
(c) Teach school.
(d) Work as a postmaster.
10. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(b) Mary Alice.
(d) The English teacher Miss Butler.
11. Grandma discovers Arnold is a single man, and ___________.
(a) He may try to seduce Mary Alice.
(b) He would be perfect for Miss Butler.
(c) Man-hungry Maxine Patch will be trying to seduce him.
(d) He may be looking for a wife.
12. It turns out Grandma had been setting _______ traps earlier that day.
13. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Nylon pantyhose.
(b) Old clothes.
(c) Shoe strings.
(d) Bottle caps.
14. Why does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) Mrs. Weidenbach is her best friend.
(b) She wants to be a member of the DAR.
(c) Mary Alice has begged her to agree.
(d) The DAR meeting take place at Grandma's own house.
15. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Horrified by.
(b) Humored by.
(c) Happy with.
(d) Surprised by.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
2. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
3. What are Mary Alice and Grandma helping each other do when a man with a strange accent comes calling in April?
4. To everyone's surprise, Mary Alice is chosen to play what part?
5. Who turns out to be Mrs. Weidenbach's long-lost sistert?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)