|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
2. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
3. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
4. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
5. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
Short Essay Questions
1. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
3. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
4. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
5. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
6. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
7. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
8. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
9. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
10. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)