|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
2. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
3. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
4. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
5. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
Essay Topic 1
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)