|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
2. At the end of the book, where did Joan's husband ask Joan to take him the next morning?
3. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
4. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
5. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
2. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
3. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
4. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
5. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
6. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
7. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
8. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
9. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
10. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)