|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
2. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
3. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
4. What strong women inspired Joan to think that she could find a way to replace her broken appliance?
5. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
2. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
3. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
4. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
5. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
6. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
7. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
8. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
9. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
10. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's husband with Joshua Cahoon. What did each man represent to Joan? What aspects of herself did each man reflect back to Joan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)