|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan think she was like beach glass?
2. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
3. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
4. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
5. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
2. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
3. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
4. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
5. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
6. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
7. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
8. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
9. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
10. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan's reliability as a narrator. How reliable is she? In what ways might she be biased? Do you think her perceptions of her experiences are accurate? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)