|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
2. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
3. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
4. How tall was Joan's husband?
5. What snack did the bartender put out without charge for Joan's party for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
3. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
4. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
5. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
6. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
7. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
8. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
9. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
10. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's husband with Joshua Cahoon. What did each man represent to Joan? What aspects of herself did each man reflect back to Joan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)