|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was Joan's husband?
2. How did Joan define menopause?
3. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
4. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
2. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
3. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
4. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
5. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
6. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
7. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
8. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
9. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
10. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)