|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
2. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
3. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
4. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
Short Essay Questions
1. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
3. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
5. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
6. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
7. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
8. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
9. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
10. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)