|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan fear losing if she reunited with her husband?
2. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
3. How did Joan think the seals had influenced her life?
4. How much did a license for clamming cost Joan?
5. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
2. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
3. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
4. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
5. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
6. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
7. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
8. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
9. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
10. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's technique of using epigraphs to introduce each chapter in "A Year by the Sea." How did the epigraphs relate to the titles of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to the content of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to Joan and her life?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)