|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
2. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
3. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
4. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. How many pounds of clams did Joshua Cahoon like to dig in a single day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
2. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
3. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
4. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
5. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
6. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
7. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
8. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
9. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
10. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)