|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan's family feel when they learned she had a job digging for clams?
2. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
4. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
5. What did Joan think that all women in long-term relationships should consider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)