|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
2. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
3. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
4. How much money was a basket of clams worth?
5. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)