|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car did Joan's oldest son own?
2. What did Hazel do for a living?
3. How many buckets of clams did Joan set as her goal for her first day of clamming?
4. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
5. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
2. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
3. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
5. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
6. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
7. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
8. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
9. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
10. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)