|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
2. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
3. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
2. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
3. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
4. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
5. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
6. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
7. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
8. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
9. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
10. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's husband with Joshua Cahoon. What did each man represent to Joan? What aspects of herself did each man reflect back to Joan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)