|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
2. How much money did it cost to replace Joan's broken appliance?
3. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
4. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
3. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
4. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
5. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
6. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
7. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
8. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
9. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
10. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the seal island to Joan. What lessons did she learn from the island and the seals that inhabit it? Why did her husband not understand the importance of the island to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of family and community in the book. When Joan isolated herself on Cape Cod, who became her family and her community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)