Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
2. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
4. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)