Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
2. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
4. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)