|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. How much money was a basket of clams worth?
3. How far of a bike ride from Joan's home was the general store?
4. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
5. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of family and community in the book. When Joan isolated herself on Cape Cod, who became her family and her community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influence of nature in Joan's life during her year at Cape Cod. What aspects of nature did Joan encounter, and how did they help her healing and growth? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)