|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
2. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
4. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the seal island to Joan. What lessons did she learn from the island and the seals that inhabit it? Why did her husband not understand the importance of the island to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Joan and her husband reunited. Discuss whether you found this ending satisfying or not and why. Did it negate Joan's feminist precepts for her to take her husband back? Was it believable that Joan would reunite with her husband after her unhappiness during her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)