|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
2. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
3. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
4. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
5. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
2. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
3. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
4. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
5. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
6. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
7. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
8. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
9. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
10. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)