|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. What did the sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan wonder about herself?
3. What gift did Joan give her husband at the party?
4. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
5. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
2. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
3. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
6. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
7. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
8. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
10. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)