|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
2. What did Hazel do for a living?
3. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
4. What kind of car did Joan's oldest son own?
5. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)