|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
2. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
3. How did Joan's family feel when they learned she had a job digging for clams?
4. As Joan let sand flow through her fingers in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did the sand symbolize to her?
5. How tall was Joan's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
2. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
3. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
4. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
5. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
6. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
7. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
8. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
10. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of family and community in the book. When Joan isolated herself on Cape Cod, who became her family and her community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)