|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people were not guests Joan invited to her husband's party?
2. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
3. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
4. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
5. What did Joan fear losing if she reunited with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
3. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
4. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
5. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
6. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
7. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
8. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
9. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
10. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan Anderson's technique of using epigraphs to introduce each chapter in "A Year by the Sea." How did the epigraphs relate to the titles of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to the content of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to Joan and her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)