|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
2. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
3. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
4. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
5. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
2. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
3. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
4. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
5. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
6. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
7. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
8. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
9. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan Anderson's technique of using epigraphs to introduce each chapter in "A Year by the Sea." How did the epigraphs relate to the titles of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to the content of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to Joan and her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's reliability as a narrator. How reliable is she? In what ways might she be biased? Do you think her perceptions of her experiences are accurate? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)