|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. Which of the following people were not guests Joan invited to her husband's party?
3. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
4. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
5. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, who came to Cape Cod to shoot a film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
2. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
3. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
4. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
5. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
6. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
7. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
9. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
10. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's reliability as a narrator. How reliable is she? In what ways might she be biased? Do you think her perceptions of her experiences are accurate? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)