|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strong women inspired Joan to think that she could find a way to replace her broken appliance?
2. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
3. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. Why did Joan feel that her previous hiking adventures had not tested her independence?
5. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
2. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
3. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
4. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
5. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
6. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
7. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
8. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
9. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
10. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)