|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
2. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
3. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
4. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
5. What did Joan envy about the seals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
2. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
3. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
5. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
6. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
7. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
8. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
9. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
10. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influence of nature in Joan's life during her year at Cape Cod. What aspects of nature did Joan encounter, and how did they help her healing and growth? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)