Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
3. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
5. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
2. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
4. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
5. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
6. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
7. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
8. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
9. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
10. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Compare and contrast Joan's two jobs on Cape Cod with her career as a writer. How did her two jobs on Cape Cod change Joan, her relationships, and her marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)