|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
2. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
3. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
4. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
5. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
2. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
4. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
5. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
6. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
7. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
8. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
9. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
10. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)