|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
2. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
3. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
4. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
5. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
2. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
3. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
4. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
5. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
7. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
8. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
9. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
10. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's use of figurative language in "A Year by the Sea" as well as her other narrative techniques. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)