|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
2. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
4. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
5. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
2. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
4. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
5. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
6. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
7. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
8. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
9. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
10. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan Erickson, Hazel, and Joan's daughters-in-laws. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of family and community in the book. When Joan isolated herself on Cape Cod, who became her family and her community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)