|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
2. What is ebb tide?
3. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
4. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
5. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
2. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
3. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
4. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
5. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
6. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
7. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
8. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
10. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of gender roles in "A Year by the Sea." What characteristics and roles were ascribed to women in the book? What characteristics and roles were ascribed to men in the book? Did the men in the fishing community of Cape Cod treat the women as equals, or did they try to dominate them? Did Joan's husband treat Joan as an equal prior to their year-long separation, or did he try to dominate her? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)