|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
2. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
4. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
5. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
2. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
3. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
4. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
5. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
6. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
7. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
8. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
9. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
10. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of sacrifice in "A Year by the Sea." What did Joan think she sacrificed during her marriage? What might her husband think he sacrificed during their marriage? Is the concept of sacrifice a gender issue in the book, i.e. is the author saying that women sacrifice themselves and their desires for their husbands and children? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)