|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
2. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
3. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
4. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
5. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
2. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
4. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
5. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
6. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
7. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
8. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
9. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
10. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan Anderson's use of figurative language in "A Year by the Sea" as well as her other narrative techniques. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan Anderson's technique of using epigraphs to introduce each chapter in "A Year by the Sea." How did the epigraphs relate to the titles of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to the content of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to Joan and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of family and community in the book. When Joan isolated herself on Cape Cod, who became her family and her community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)