|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
2. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
3. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
4. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
5. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
2. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
3. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
4. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
6. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
7. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
8. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
9. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
10. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the seal island to Joan. What lessons did she learn from the island and the seals that inhabit it? Why did her husband not understand the importance of the island to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)