|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
2. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
3. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
4. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
5. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
2. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
3. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
5. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
7. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
8. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
9. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
10. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan during her year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)