|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
2. What was Larry's PX?
3. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
5. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
2. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
3. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
5. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
6. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
7. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
8. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
9. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
10. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes and growth in Joan's husband during his wife's year at Cape Cod. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)