|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
2. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
3. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
4. What was Larry's PX?
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
2. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
3. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
4. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
5. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
6. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
7. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
8. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
9. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
10. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subtitle of "A Year by the Sea" is "Thoughts of An Unfinished Woman." Discuss why you think Joan chose this title. How did she depict herself as being unfinished in the book? Was she "finished" by the end, or was she still "unfinished" at the book's end? Did her definition of unfinished change during the course of the book? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor of the sea and the tide in "A Year by the Sea." How did each phase of the tide relate to Joan and her life? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)