|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
2. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
3. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
4. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
5. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
2. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
4. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
5. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
6. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
7. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
8. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
9. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
10. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the influence of nature in Joan's life during her year at Cape Cod. What aspects of nature did Joan encounter, and how did they help her healing and growth? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the seal island to Joan. What lessons did she learn from the island and the seals that inhabit it? Why did her husband not understand the importance of the island to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)