|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
2. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
3. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
4. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
5. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
5. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
6. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
7. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
8. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
9. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
10. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how holidays affected Joan in the book. Did her feelings about holidays change during her year by the sea? In what ways do holidays illustrate Joan's feelings about the traditional role of women in society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influence of nature in Joan's life during her year at Cape Cod. What aspects of nature did Joan encounter, and how did they help her healing and growth? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan Anderson's technique of using epigraphs to introduce each chapter in "A Year by the Sea." How did the epigraphs relate to the titles of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to the content of each chapter? How did the epigraphs relate to Joan and her life?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)