|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
3. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
5. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
2. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
4. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
5. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
6. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
7. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
8. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
9. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
10. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's relationship with her sons and their wives. What parallels did Joan see between her marriage and her sons' marriages? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan Anderson's relationship with Joan Erickson. What did Joan learn from the older woman? In what ways were the women similar, and in what ways were they different? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance in the book. How did Joan demonstrate self-reliance at Cape Cod, and was she self-reliant all her life, or did she become more so during her year by the sea? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,893 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)