|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) Two days.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) One week.
(d) One hour.
2. How tall was Joan's husband?
(a) Five feet eleven.
(b) Five feet nine.
(c) Six foot one.
(d) Six foot four.
3. How did Joan define menopause?
(a) Old age.
(b) Middle age.
(c) A pause from men.
(d) Absence of childbearing.
4. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
(a) The washing machine.
(b) The refrigerator.
(c) The hot water heater.
(d) The dishwasher.
5. Where were Joan's oldest son and his wife going for a bike trip once leaving the cottage after Memorial Day?
(b) The Far East.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
2. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
3. What strong women inspired Joan to think that she could find a way to replace her broken appliance?
4. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
5. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
2. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
3. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
4. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
5. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
6. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
7. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
8. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
9. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
10. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)