|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joan Erickson tell Joan A. was the only place to find answers about herself?
(a) In her own heart.
(b) From her family.
(c) From her friends.
(d) From her physician.
2. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her sons and their wives.
(c) Joan Erikson.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
3. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
(a) It was very hot and she feared dehydrating.
(b) It was hurricane season.
(c) A blizzard struck.
(d) It was too foggy to see and she feared falling or drowning.
4. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(b) An old friend of Joan.
(c) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(d) Joan's cousin.
5. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
(b) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(c) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(d) She didn't learn anything about herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
2. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
3. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
4. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
5. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
2. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
3. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
4. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
5. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
6. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
7. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
9. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
10. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)