|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan think the seals had influenced her life?
(a) By setting her onto a different path.
(b) By helping her swim more.
(c) By giving her a new book idea.
(d) By making her become a vegetarian.
2. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(b) Joan's cousin.
(c) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(d) An old friend of Joan.
3. Although Joan missed her sons after they left the cottage once Memorial Day ended, what did she look forward to regaining?
(a) Her kitchen.
(b) Her space.
(c) Her time.
(d) Her solitude.
4. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
5. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
(a) To remind herself to keep blooming like the flowers.
(b) They were her favorite flowers.
(c) They were her husband's favorite flowers.
(d) She needed to cover a bare patch of her lawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
2. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
3. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
4. While walking with Joan Erickson in Chapter 10, Seal Woman, what animal did Joan see staring into a puddle?
5. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
2. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
3. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
4. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
5. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
6. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
7. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
8. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
9. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
10. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)