|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
(a) They were her husband's favorite flowers.
(b) To remind herself to keep blooming like the flowers.
(c) She needed to cover a bare patch of her lawn.
(d) They were her favorite flowers.
2. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(b) That she wanted to have another baby.
(c) That she wanted to move to Europe.
(d) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
3. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
(a) She had a low supply of paper.
(b) She had a low supply of ink.
(c) She was tired of writing and was thinking of changing jobs.
(d) She did not want to miss a single thing.
4. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Eight days
5. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A birthday party.
(b) A change-of-life party.
(c) An anniversary party.
(d) A welcome party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
2. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
3. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
5. How many buckets of clams did Joan set as her goal for her first day of clamming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
2. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
5. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
6. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
7. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
8. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
9. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
10. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)