|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan tuck into the corners of the boxes of fish she packed at the fish market?
(c) Bluefish paté.
(d) Styrofoam packing.
2. How many buckets of clams did Joan set as her goal for her first day of clamming?
3. What did Hazel do for a living?
(a) She was a pediatrician.
(b) She was an accountant.
(c) She was an attorney.
(d) She was an ophthalmologist.
4. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) A radio.
(b) A sleeping bag and backpack.
(c) Food and water.
(d) A tent.
5. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
(a) The New York Stock Exchange.
(b) Grand Central Station at rush hour.
(c) Dulles Airport at Christmas.
(d) A quiet funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
2. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
3. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
4. Which of the following people were not guests Joan invited to her husband's party?
5. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
2. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
4. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
5. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
6. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
7. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
8. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
9. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
10. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)