|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) Twenty-four hours.
3. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
(a) Joan Erikson.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her oldest son and his wife.
4. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Being alone to think and write.
(b) Female friendships.
(c) Having secrets.
(d) Living on Cape Cod.
5. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
(a) Honeysuckle and lavender perfume.
(b) Lemon-scented perfume.
(c) French perfume.
(d) Tea rose and gardenia perfume.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people were not guests Joan invited to her husband's party?
2. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
3. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
4. How tall was Joan's husband?
5. Who was paying for the work of the men Joan found at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
2. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
4. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
5. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
6. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
7. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
8. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
9. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
10. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)