|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in western Utah.
(b) One in Coral Gables.
(c) One in Europe.
(d) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
2. What did the sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan wonder about herself?
(a) If she needed to forgive more.
(b) If she needed to love more.
(c) If she had been indifferent about her life and her marriage.
(d) If she needed to treat others more nicely.
3. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
(a) It was very hot and she feared dehydrating.
(b) A blizzard struck.
(c) It was hurricane season.
(d) It was too foggy to see and she feared falling or drowning.
4. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Joan Erikson.
(d) Her sons and their wives.
5. Who advised Joan to dig for clams to earn the money to replace her broken appliance?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Joan Erickson.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
2. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
3. How far of a bike ride from Joan's home was the general store?
4. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
5. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
2. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
3. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
4. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
5. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
6. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
7. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
8. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
9. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
10. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)