|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Joan Erickson's late husband?
(a) Famed psychoanalyst Erik Erikson.
(b) Actor Denholm Elliott.
(c) Scientist Albert Einstein.
(d) Actor Buddy Ebson.
2. How many buckets of clams did Joan set as her goal for her first day of clamming?
3. How did Joan's family feel when they learned she had a job digging for clams?
(c) Surprised but impressed.
4. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
(b) Pouring water on the sand.
(c) Stomping around on the sand.
(d) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
5. While walking with Joan Erickson in Chapter 10, Seal Woman, what animal did Joan see staring into a puddle?
(a) A leopard.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A brown bear.
(d) A red fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hazel?
2. How much money did it cost to replace Joan's broken appliance?
3. How tall was Joan's husband?
4. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
5. As Joan let sand flow through her fingers in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did the sand symbolize to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
2. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
3. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
5. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did Joan feel once her older son and his wife left?
7. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
8. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
9. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
10. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)