|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
(a) Joan Erikson.
(b) Her oldest son and his wife.
(d) Her husband.
2. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
(a) Her husband, her sons, and her daughters-in-law.
(b) Her priest.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) Her mother.
3. How did Joan think she was like beach glass?
(a) She was sharp and could cut.
(b) She had been through a lot and had become new.
(c) She was bright and shiny.
(d) She had been discarded like trash.
4. What did Hazel cook Joan for breakfast?
(a) An omelet.
(b) Oatmeal and buttered toast.
(c) Blueberry pancakes.
(d) Scrambled eggs and bacon.
5. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) Love conquers all.
(b) The opposite of love is indifference.
(c) To forgive is divine.
(d) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
2. What snack did the bartender put out without charge for Joan's party for her husband?
3. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
4. As Joan let sand flow through her fingers in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did the sand symbolize to her?
5. Who was Hazel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
2. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
3. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
4. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
5. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
6. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
7. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
8. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
9. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
10. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)