|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car did Joan's oldest son own?
(a) A Dodge.
(b) A Chevrolet.
(c) A Ford.
(d) A Toyota.
2. What snack did the bartender put out without charge for Joan's party for her husband?
(a) A cheese ball and crackers.
(b) Mixed nuts.
(c) A tray of veggies and dip.
(d) Tortilla chips and salsa.
3. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
(a) With fish market earnings and an unexpected royalty check.
(b) She sold a new book.
(c) She borrowed the money from Joan Erikson.
(d) By clamming.
4. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To become artistic.
(b) To stop living for others.
(c) To become finished.
(d) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
5. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
(a) Threw it into the sea.
(b) Cut it off with a pair of scissors.
(c) Wore it as a headband.
(d) Threw it into the lobster tank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
2. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
3. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
4. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
5. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
2. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
3. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
4. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
5. How did Joan's family spend Memorial Day weekend in Chapter 13, Treading Water, and how did Joan make this holiday different than previous holidays?
6. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
7. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
8. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
9. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
10. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)