|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
(a) Her oldest son and his wife.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Joan Erikson.
2. What strong women inspired Joan to think that she could find a way to replace her broken appliance?
(a) Her mother, grandmother, and aunt.
(b) The wives of the Cape Cod fishermen.
(c) Her mother-in-law and daughters-in-law.
(d) Joan Erickson and Hazel.
3. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A book of poems.
(d) A hand--painted sign that said "Tradition".
4. Who was paying for the work of the men Joan found at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
(a) The fishermen.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) Joan's older son and his wife.
5. Who advised Joan to dig for clams to earn the money to replace her broken appliance?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
2. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
3. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
4. As Joan let sand flow through her fingers in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did the sand symbolize to her?
5. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
2. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
3. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
4. Describe the retirement party Joan gave for her husband and how pleased her husband was with it.
5. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
6. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
7. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
8. How did Joan's acceptance of her body change in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
9. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
10. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)