|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) Eight days
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) One month.
2. Why did Joan feel that her previous hiking adventures had not tested her independence?
(a) She was a child on her previous trips.
(b) They were easy trips without physical challenges.
(c) Someone besides herself had paid for her previous trips.
(d) She went on the trips with others rather than going alone.
3. What did Joan think that all women in long-term relationships should consider?
(a) New relationships.
(b) A vegetarian diet.
(c) Cutting their hair very short.
(d) A separation from their men.
4. How did Joan think the seals had influenced her life?
(a) By making her become a vegetarian.
(b) By setting her onto a different path.
(c) By giving her a new book idea.
(d) By helping her swim more.
5. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
(a) A book and a glass of iced tea.
(b) A pillow and blanket so she could enjoy a nap.
(c) A radio.
(d) A glass of lemonade and some chocolate chip cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
2. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
3. How had Joan spent Labor Days prior to her year alone by the sea?
4. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
5. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
2. How did the friendship between Joan Anderson and Joan Erikson develop in Chapter 10, Seal Woman?
3. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
4. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
5. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
6. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
7. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
8. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
9. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
10. Did Joan and her husband seem happier or more unhappy at the end of their year-long separation, and did they decide to divorce or reunite?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)