|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall was Joan's husband?
(a) Five feet nine.
(b) Six foot one.
(c) Six foot four.
(d) Five feet eleven.
2. What did the sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan wonder about herself?
(a) If she needed to treat others more nicely.
(b) If she needed to forgive more.
(c) If she had been indifferent about her life and her marriage.
(d) If she needed to love more.
3. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
(a) They were her husband's favorite flowers.
(b) To remind herself to keep blooming like the flowers.
(c) They were her favorite flowers.
(d) She needed to cover a bare patch of her lawn.
4. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her sons and their wives.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Joan Erikson.
5. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
(a) A rake and a basket.
(b) A pot and lid.
(c) A stick and a bag.
(d) A fishing pole and bait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. What did Hazel cook Joan for breakfast?
3. Who was Hazel?
4. While walking with Joan Erickson in Chapter 10, Seal Woman, what animal did Joan see staring into a puddle?
5. How did Joan's family feel when they learned she had a job digging for clams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
2. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
3. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
4. How did Joan initially feel about letting people into her home, and how did she feel about having guests at the end of Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
5. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
6. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
7. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
8. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
10. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)