|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
(b) If he quit his job.
(c) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(d) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
2. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
(a) Returning to her husband.
(b) Leaving Cape Cod to return to the city.
(c) Turning her back on her female friends.
(d) Letting others know her secrets.
3. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) One month.
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Eight days
(d) Six weeks.
4. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(b) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
(c) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(d) She didn't learn anything about herself.
5. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
(a) The number of tourists at Cape Cod.
(b) The traffic in the town.
(c) The friendliness of everyone she met.
(d) The sights and scents of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who applauded Joan's job of clamming?
2. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
4. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
5. What term had Joan Erickson's late husband coined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift did Joan's boss at the fish market give her, and what did the gift indicate about his acceptance of Joan in the Cape Cod community?
2. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
3. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
4. What evidence in Chapter 16, Port of Call, indicated that Joan's husband had grown and changed during their separation?
5. How did Joan ultimately earn the money to fix her broken hot water heater?
6. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
7. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, how did Joan feel about letting her husband move back in with her after he retired and where did she go to think over the prospect?
8. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
9. Who was Hazel, and why did she come to visit Joan?
10. What was ironic about how Joan felt once she arrived on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)