|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) One day.
(b) He was not coming.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
2. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was sleeping.
(b) It was ill.
(c) It was a plastic lobster.
(d) It was molting.
3. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) They were infants.
(b) Three and ten.
(c) They were grown.
(d) Six and twelve.
4. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their home in the ocean.
(b) Their cuteness.
(c) Their warm layer of body fat.
(d) Their swimming skills.
5. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They swam away from her.
(c) They ignored her.
(d) They attacked her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
2. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
3. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
4. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
5. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
2. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
3. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
4. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
5. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
6. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
7. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
8. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
9. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
10. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)