|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he wanted a divorce.
(b) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(c) That he had cancer.
(d) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
2. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
(a) The market owner's wife.
(b) Joan E.
(c) A female coworker.
(d) The market owner.
3. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
4. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A school.
(b) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
(c) A fishing boat.
(d) A military store.
5. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their cuteness.
(b) Their swimming skills.
(c) Their home in the ocean.
(d) Their warm layer of body fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
3. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
4. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
5. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
2. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
3. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
4. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
5. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
6. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
7. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
8. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
9. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
10. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)