|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(b) She outran her sister.
(c) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(d) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
2. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at a party.
(b) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
(c) They met at the fish market.
(d) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
3. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(b) She had everything she was told she should want.
(c) She did have everything she wanted.
(d) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
4. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Volvo.
(b) A Toyota Camry.
(c) A Mercedes.
(d) A Chevrolet Impala.
5. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(a) A lady cop.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) The fish market owner's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
2. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
3. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
5. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
2. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
3. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
7. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
8. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
9. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
10. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)