|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(b) A painting of an Indian village.
(c) A clock.
(d) A painting of a crossroads.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
(a) A half-mile walk.
(b) A four-mile walk.
(c) A two-mile walk.
(d) A one-mile walk.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(b) That he wanted a divorce.
(c) That he had cancer.
(d) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
4. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(b) They bought her drinks.
(c) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(d) They stood up to greet her.
5. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
2. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
4. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
5. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
2. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
3. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
4. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
5. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
6. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
7. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
8. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
9. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
10. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)