|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They were trying to please everyone.
(b) They had too much shopping to do.
(c) They had too many parties to plan.
(d) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(b) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(c) To take a leisurely shower.
(d) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
4. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) Her younger son.
5. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) Her life and herself.
(c) The book she was writing.
(d) The cottage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
2. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
3. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
4. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
5. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
2. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
3. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
4. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
5. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
6. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
7. When Joan's husband mentioned retirement at the beginning of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, how did his idea of retirement differ from Joan's?
8. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
9. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
10. What did Joan find several workmen doing at her home upon her return from her bike ride, and what did the fact that her husband was paying for the repairs indicate about him and their marriage?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)