|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(b) Her neighbor.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Joan Erickson.
2. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) Pampered housewife.
(b) The breadwinner.
(c) Nurturer and caregiver.
(d) An equal partner.
3. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her youngest son.
(c) Her older brother.
(d) Her oldest son.
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) The sunrise.
(b) Her husband walking the dog.
(c) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
(d) The neighborhood children walking to school.
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
3. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
5. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
2. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
3. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
4. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
5. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
6. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
7. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
8. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
9. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
10. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)