|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Two months.
2. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) One week.
(b) Two hours.
(d) Eight hours.
3. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(a) A lady cop.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) The fish market owner's wife.
4. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) Three dozen.
(b) One hundred.
5. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) Pampered housewife.
(b) Nurturer and caregiver.
(c) An equal partner.
(d) The breadwinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
2. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
3. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
4. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
3. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
4. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
5. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
6. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
7. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
8. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
10. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)