Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(b) A lady cop.
(c) Joan Erickson.
(d) The fish market owner's wife.
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) Larry's PX.
(b) A local bar.
(d) Her oldest son's house.
3. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) The fish market owner.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
(a) They wanted to make a show of unity for their children.
(b) Neither of them wanted to be alone.
(c) They wanted to make Joan's ailing mother happy.
(d) They missed each other.
5. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) The young men who work at the fish market.
(b) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(c) A phone call from her youngest son.
(d) An approaching holiday.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
3. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
4. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
5. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism did Joan see in the sandbar?
2. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon help Joan learn clamming?
4. Who did Joan ask for money to replace her broken hot water heater, and what was his response?
5. To where did Joan ride her bike in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, and how did she like the experience?
6. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
7. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
8. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
9. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
10. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)