|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's husband.
(b) Joan's younger son.
(c) Joan's brother.
(d) Joan's older son.
2. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was funny.
(b) That she was childish.
(c) That she had changed and become more free.
(d) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
3. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She attended drama school.
(b) She worked in the African bush.
(c) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(d) She sold a magazine story.
4. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was molting.
(b) It was sleeping.
(c) It was a plastic lobster.
(d) It was ill.
5. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(b) Roman soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
2. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
3. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
4. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
5. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
3. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
4. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
5. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
6. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
7. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
8. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
9. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
10. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)