|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(b) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(c) A boarding school in England.
(d) An orphanage.
2. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) Peanut butter.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A stale bagel.
3. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) A for sale sign.
(c) An angel statue.
(d) A broken bicycle.
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They were trying to please everyone.
(b) They had too many parties to plan.
(c) They had too much shopping to do.
(d) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
5. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
(a) Her boss at the fish market.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her children.
(d) A bearded customer who looked like Santa Claus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
2. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
3. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
4. What was the dress code at the fish market?
5. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
3. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
4. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
5. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
6. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
7. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
8. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
10. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)