|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) Most of the family's extras.
(c) The mortgage.
(d) Her children's education.
2. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Joan's old necklaces.
(b) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(c) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
3. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
(a) A camera.
(b) Warm clothes and a sandwich.
(c) A bathing suit and sunscreen.
(d) A blanket, coat and gloves.
4. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(b) Three dozen.
(d) One hundred.
5. What did Joan's neighbor think of Joan's job at the fish market?
(a) That it would pay Joan well.
(b) That it was easy work.
(c) That it was work Joan would love.
(d) That it was men's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
2. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
3. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
4. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
2. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
4. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
5. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
7. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
8. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
9. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
10. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)