|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was childish.
(b) That she was funny.
(c) That she had changed and become more free.
(d) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
2. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
(a) Her grandmother.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Her mother.
3. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A motorized wheelchair.
4. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
(b) Roller skating.
5. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joan Erickson.
(b) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(c) Her neighbor.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
2. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
3. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
4. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
5. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
2. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
3. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
4. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
5. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
6. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
7. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
8. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
9. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
10. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)