|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) The breadwinner.
(b) Pampered housewife.
(c) An equal partner.
(d) Nurturer and caregiver.
2. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) He was not coming.
4. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(b) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(c) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(d) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
5. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) Her children were grown.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(d) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
2. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
3. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
4. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
5. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
2. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
3. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
5. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
6. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
7. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
8. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
9. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
10. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)