|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her youngest son.
(b) Her older brother.
(c) Her oldest son.
(d) Her cousin.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
(a) A half-mile walk.
(b) A four-mile walk.
(c) A two-mile walk.
(d) A one-mile walk.
3. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A boarding school in England.
(c) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(d) An Episcopalian boarding school.
4. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(b) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(c) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(d) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
5. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
2. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
4. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
5. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
2. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
3. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
4. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
5. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
6. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
7. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
8. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
10. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, how did reflecting upon the women in her family inspire Joan?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)