|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(b) A clock.
(c) A painting of a crossroads.
(d) A painting of an Indian village.
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(b) They had too much shopping to do.
(c) They were trying to please everyone.
(d) They had too many parties to plan.
3. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) One mile.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) Five miles.
4. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her youngest son.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her older brother.
(d) Her oldest son.
5. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) They were grown.
(b) Six and twelve.
(c) They were infants.
(d) Three and ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
2. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
3. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
4. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
5. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
2. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
3. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
4. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
5. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
6. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
7. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
8. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
9. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
10. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)