|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
2. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(b) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
(c) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
(d) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
3. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A painting of an Indian village.
(b) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(c) A clock.
(d) A painting of a crossroads.
4. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) A local murder.
(b) The seals in the harbor.
(c) Joan's separation from her husband.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
5. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) Five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
2. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
3. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
4. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
5. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
3. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
5. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
6. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
7. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
8. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
9. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
10. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)