|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stood up to greet her.
(b) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(c) They bought her drinks.
(d) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
2. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
(b) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(c) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(d) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
3. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was molting.
(b) It was sleeping.
(c) It was ill.
(d) It was a plastic lobster.
4. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) The fish market owner's wife.
(d) A lady cop.
5. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A skateboard.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A motorized wheelchair.
(d) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
3. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
4. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
5. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
2. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
3. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
6. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
7. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
8. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
9. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
10. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)