|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorized wheelchair.
(b) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A motorcycle.
2. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(b) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(c) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(d) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
3. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Work on a book.
(b) Paint and sell her art work.
(c) Sell her family's cottage.
(d) Recover from an automobile accident.
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) An equal partner.
(b) Pampered housewife.
(c) The breadwinner.
(d) Nurturer and caregiver.
5. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She had taxes to pay.
(b) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(c) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(d) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
2. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
3. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
4. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
5. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
3. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
5. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
6. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
7. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
8. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
9. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
10. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)