|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Paint and sell her art work.
(b) Sell her family's cottage.
(c) Recover from an automobile accident.
(d) Work on a book.
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Hauling and weighing fish.
(b) Dealing with customers.
(c) Catching fish.
(d) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
3. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
(a) A female coworker.
(b) The market owner.
(c) The market owner's wife.
(d) Joan E.
4. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was a plastic lobster.
(b) It was sleeping.
(c) It was ill.
(d) It was molting.
5. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) He was not coming.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
2. What is ebb tide?
3. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
5. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan fare in the footrace in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and what did the race symbolize to her?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
3. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
7. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
8. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
9. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
10. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)