|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
(a) They wanted to make Joan's ailing mother happy.
(b) Neither of them wanted to be alone.
(c) They wanted to make a show of unity for their children.
(d) They missed each other.
2. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(b) The Philippines.
3. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) She did have everything she wanted.
(b) She had everything she was told she should want.
(c) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
(d) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
4. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's younger son.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) Joan's older son.
(d) Joan's brother.
5. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(b) A painting of an Indian village.
(c) A painting of a crossroads.
(d) A clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
2. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
3. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
4. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
5. What was Larry's PX?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
2. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
3. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, how did Joan relate the state of her marriage to a riptide?
5. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
6. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
7. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
8. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
9. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
10. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)