|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Mercedes.
(b) A Volvo.
(c) A Toyota Camry.
(d) A Chevrolet Impala.
2. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(b) A skateboard.
(c) A motorized wheelchair.
(d) A motorcycle.
3. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(b) Larry's PX.
(c) Her oldest son's house.
(d) A local bar.
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) The book she was writing.
(b) The cottage.
(c) Her life and herself.
5. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(b) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(c) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(d) There were no clothing stores in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
2. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
3. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
4. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
5. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What truths about her life were revealed to Joan during her trip to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
4. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
6. What did Joan give her husband for his retirement, and what did her gift symbolize?
7. What did Joan Anderson expect to learn from the psychoanalyst, and what did Joan Erikson tell her when she didn't learn what she expected?
8. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
9. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
10. What evidence was there in Chapter 16, Port of Call, that Joan had grown during her year in Cape Cod?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)