|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(b) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(c) A boarding school in England.
(d) An orphanage.
2. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a comedian.
(c) He was a plumber.
(d) He was a doctor.
3. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(b) Larry's PX.
(c) Her oldest son's house.
4. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(b) She had taxes to pay.
(c) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(d) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
5. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A chrome and glass condominium.
(b) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(c) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(d) A lonely mausoleum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
2. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
3. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
5. What did Joan envy about the seals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
2. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
3. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
4. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
5. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
6. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
7. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
8. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
9. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
10. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)