|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(d) The Philippines.
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) Her life and herself.
(b) The cottage.
(d) The book she was writing.
3. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
4. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her younger son.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) Her husband.
5. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(b) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
2. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
3. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
5. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
2. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
3. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
4. How did Joan's winter days and nights with her husband and children compare to her winter on Cape Cod?
5. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
7. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
8. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
9. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
10. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)