|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
(b) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
(c) They met at a party.
(d) They met at the fish market.
2. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) Her children's education.
(c) The mortgage.
(d) Most of the family's extras.
3. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) Larry's PX.
(c) A local bar.
(d) Her oldest son's house.
4. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) A sweater.
(c) Peanut butter.
(d) A stale bagel.
5. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) Nurturer and caregiver.
(b) Pampered housewife.
(c) The breadwinner.
(d) An equal partner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
2. What was the dress code at the fish market?
3. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
4. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
5. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
Short Essay Questions
1. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
2. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
5. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
6. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
7. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
8. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
9. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
10. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)