|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(b) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(c) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(d) Joan's old necklaces.
2. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) Her children's education.
(c) Most of the family's extras.
(d) The mortgage.
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(b) The book she was writing.
(c) Her life and herself.
(d) The cottage.
4. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He worked with her husband.
(b) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
(c) He was her editor.
(d) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
5. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
(a) A bearded customer who looked like Santa Claus.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her boss at the fish market.
(d) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
3. What is ebb tide?
4. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual lesson did Joan learn from clamming?
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how did Joan feel about her sons' plans to spend Christmas with their wives' families instead of with Joan and her husband?
3. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
4. How did a sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan reflect upon her marriage?
5. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
6. What was the Cape Cod general store like, and what did being there help Joan decide about her stay in the community?
7. Who did Joan Erikson send to stay with Joan and how did Joan feel about having these guests?
8. What did Joan take with her to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, and how did what she took on this trip show her growth since her initial trip to the island?
9. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
10. Why did Joan's nephew send guests to stay with Joan, and how did Joan feel about being part of her nephew's project?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)