|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A Little Red Riding Hood costume.
(c) A mermaid costume.
(d) A Cinderella costume.
2. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) A musical family.
(b) An alcoholic family.
(c) An artistic family.
(d) A diabetic family.
3. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Eight years.
4. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) A broken bicycle.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A for sale sign.
(d) An angel statue.
5. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her publisher went out of business.
(d) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
2. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
3. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
4. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
5. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What costume did Joan wear for the New Year's Eve footrace, and what did it symbolize to her?
2. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
3. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
5. What kind of Christmas tree did Joan and her husband have on Cape Cod, and how did they decorate?
6. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
7. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
8. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
9. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
10. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)