|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
2. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) She had everything she was told she should want.
(b) She did have everything she wanted.
(c) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(d) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
3. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's husband.
(b) Joan's brother.
(c) Joan's older son.
(d) Joan's younger son.
4. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(a) The Philippines.
5. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
(b) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(c) The book club members left town for the holidays.
(d) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
2. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
3. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
4. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
5. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
2. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
3. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
4. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
5. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
6. What did Joan think of the wealthy wives who came into the fish market and ordered expensive fish?
7. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
8. Who was Joan Erikson and how did Joan meet her?
9. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
10. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)