|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joan Erickson.
(b) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(c) Her neighbor.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
2. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A motorized wheelchair.
3. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(d) Her publisher went out of business.
4. What news did Joan get about her house in the city after her return from the seal island?
(a) It had been painted.
(b) It had been damaged in a fire.
(c) It had been vandalized.
(d) It had been sold.
5. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
2. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
3. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
5. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
2. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
3. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
4. How did Joan's husband respond to her day with the seals and what does his response indicate about their marriage?
5. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan get angry at the fish market customer who looked like Santa Claus?
7. How did Joan's personality differ from her husband's?
8. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
9. What was Joan's husband's childhood like, and how did his childhood experiences affect the couple's marriage?
10. Where did Joan and her husband meet, and how did Joan's in-laws feel about the couple's relationship?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)