|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(b) Orange and green.
2. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Walking her dog.
(b) Going to the laundromat.
(c) Going to the post office.
(d) Picking her daughter up from school.
3. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
(c) Roller skating.
4. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
(b) The book club members left town for the holidays.
(c) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(d) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
5. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Fifty yards.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) One mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
2. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
3. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
4. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
5. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about how Joan felt once her husband drove away from their house on the day they separated?
2. What incident told Joan that the other workers at the fish market had accepted her?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon treat Joan when he took her to the seal island?
4. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
5. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan compare women to fog?
6. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
7. What kind of job did Joan get in Chapter 4, Riptide, and why didn't she ask her husband for financial help instead of getting a job?
8. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
9. How much did Joan tell the townspeople in Cape Cod about her reasons for being in town?
10. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, why was Joan concerned about her writing career?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)