|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(b) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
(c) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(d) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
2. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) Her children were grown.
(d) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
3. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
4. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(c) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(d) Joan's old necklaces.
5. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joan Erickson.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(d) Her neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
2. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
3. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
5. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ebb tide and how did Joan relate the concept of ebb tide to her own life?
2. How did other people respond when they learned Joan was working at a fish market?
3. How did Joshua Cahoon differ from Joan's husband?
4. In Chapter 9, Fogged In, how did Joan become estranged from her brother?
5. Why did Joan and her husband decide to separate?
6. In Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, why did Joan mentally compare her marriage to several boats which had gotten frozen in place in the harbor?
7. What was Larry's PX and how did the men who congregated there respond to Joan's presence?
8. What was Joan's day with the seals like?
9. What reflections did the seals give Joan on her body image?
10. When Joan and her husband spent Christmas together at the cottage, what changes did each of them display?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)