|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
(a) Iced tea.
(b) A diet cola.
(c) Bottled water.
2. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
(b) Love conquers all.
(c) The opposite of love is indifference.
(d) To forgive is divine.
3. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A hand--painted sign that said "Tradition".
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
4. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
(a) They were her favorite flowers.
(b) To remind herself to keep blooming like the flowers.
(c) They were her husband's favorite flowers.
(d) She needed to cover a bare patch of her lawn.
5. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, who came to Cape Cod to shoot a film?
(a) Joan's older son.
(c) A famous Hollywood producer.
(d) Joan's nephew.
6. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
(a) A fishing pole and bait.
(b) A stick and a bag.
(c) A pot and lid.
(d) A rake and a basket.
7. Who applauded Joan's job of clamming?
(a) Joan Erickson.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) The fish market owner's wife.
8. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
(a) Milk cartons.
(b) Rocking chairs.
(c) Wrought iron enches.
(d) Old church pews.
9. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
10. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to move to Europe.
(b) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(c) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
(d) That she wanted to have another baby.
11. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Stomping around on the sand.
(b) Pouring water on the sand.
(c) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
(d) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
12. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) Two days.
(b) One hour.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) One week.
13. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To stop living for others.
(b) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To become finished.
14. How far of a bike ride from Joan's home was the general store?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Ten miles.
15. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
(a) A radio.
(b) A pillow and blanket so she could enjoy a nap.
(c) A glass of lemonade and some chocolate chip cookies.
(d) A book and a glass of iced tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
2. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
3. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
4. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
5. Who was Joan Erickson's late husband?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)