|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had Joan spent Labor Days prior to her year alone by the sea?
(a) Organizing family picnics.
(b) Watching tv.
(c) Doing housework.
(d) Visiting her in-laws.
2. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(b) To stop living for others.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To become finished.
3. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(b) She didn't learn anything about herself.
(c) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
(d) She had hoped for a longer visit.
4. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(b) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(c) Joan's cousin.
(d) An old friend of Joan.
5. What did Hazel cook Joan for breakfast?
(a) Blueberry pancakes.
(b) Scrambled eggs and bacon.
(c) An omelet.
(d) Oatmeal and buttered toast.
6. Where did Joan Erickson tell Joan A. was the only place to find answers about herself?
(a) From her physician.
(b) From her friends.
(c) From her family.
(d) In her own heart.
7. What kind of car did Joan's oldest son own?
(a) A Dodge.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A Toyota.
(d) A Chevrolet.
8. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) To conduct research for a book on seals.
(b) To contemplate the future of her marriage.
(c) To decide if she wanted to marry Joshua Cahoon.
(d) To grieve for her dead father.
9. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Having secrets.
(b) Living on Cape Cod.
(c) Female friendships.
(d) Being alone to think and write.
10. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Two dozen.
(d) One dozen.
11. Who applauded Joan's job of clamming?
(a) The fish market owner's wife.
(c) Joan's husband.
(d) Joan Erickson.
12. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
(a) The washing machine.
(b) The refrigerator.
(c) The hot water heater.
(d) The dishwasher.
13. How did Joan think she was like beach glass?
(a) She had been discarded like trash.
(b) She had been through a lot and had become new.
(c) She was bright and shiny.
(d) She was sharp and could cut.
14. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Eight days
15. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
(a) Replacing her garage door.
(b) Putting up a new picket fence.
(c) Repairing her roof.
(d) Painting her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
2. What was Hazel's marital state?
3. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
4. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
5. How did Joan define menopause?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)