|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to have another baby.
(b) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(c) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
(d) That she wanted to move to Europe.
2. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) An anniversary party.
(b) A change-of-life party.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) A welcome party.
3. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
(a) A stick and a bag.
(b) A rake and a basket.
(c) A pot and lid.
(d) A fishing pole and bait.
4. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
(a) A bouillabaisse.
(b) Nothing - she refused to cook.
(c) Hot dogs and baked beans.
5. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
(a) Letting others know her secrets.
(b) Turning her back on her female friends.
(c) Returning to her husband.
(d) Leaving Cape Cod to return to the city.
6. Where were Joan's oldest son and his wife going for a bike trip once leaving the cottage after Memorial Day?
(b) The Far East.
7. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
8. Who advised Joan to dig for clams to earn the money to replace her broken appliance?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Joan Erickson.
9. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
(a) Joan's fever and shortage of tools.
(b) Joan's fear of drowning or falling while searching for clams.
(c) A clam shortage and a rainstorm.
(d) High winds, a heavy mist, and Joan's inexperience.
10. Which of the following people were not guests Joan invited to her husband's party?
(a) The postmistress and the fish market employees.
(b) Joan Erikson and Josh Cahoon.
(c) A female photographer and the plumber and his wife.
(d) Her sons and their wives.
11. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
(a) A diet cola.
(b) Iced tea.
(c) Bottled water.
12. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
(b) One in western Utah.
(c) One in Coral Gables.
(d) One in Europe.
13. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
(a) It was hurricane season.
(b) It was very hot and she feared dehydrating.
(c) It was too foggy to see and she feared falling or drowning.
(d) A blizzard struck.
14. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
(a) With fish market earnings and an unexpected royalty check.
(b) She borrowed the money from Joan Erikson.
(c) She sold a new book.
(d) By clamming.
15. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
(a) A quiet funeral.
(b) Dulles Airport at Christmas.
(c) The New York Stock Exchange.
(d) Grand Central Station at rush hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the T-shirt Joan wore on the seal island say?
2. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
3. What snack did the bartender put out without charge for Joan's party for her husband?
4. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
5. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)