|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) Love conquers all.
(b) The opposite of love is indifference.
(c) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
(d) To forgive is divine.
2. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Female friendships.
(b) Having secrets.
(c) Living on Cape Cod.
(d) Being alone to think and write.
3. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
(b) Nothing - she refused to cook.
(c) A bouillabaisse.
(d) Hot dogs and baked beans.
4. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her priest.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) Her husband, her sons, and her daughters-in-law.
5. What did the sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan wonder about herself?
(a) If she needed to treat others more nicely.
(b) If she had been indifferent about her life and her marriage.
(c) If she needed to love more.
(d) If she needed to forgive more.
6. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
(a) Wore it as a headband.
(b) Threw it into the sea.
(c) Threw it into the lobster tank.
(d) Cut it off with a pair of scissors.
7. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in western Utah.
(b) One in Europe.
(c) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
(d) One in Coral Gables.
8. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(b) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
(c) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(d) She didn't learn anything about herself.
9. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Playing hostess to her husband and his friends.
(b) Generating new ideas.
(c) Laughing and risking adventures.
(d) Sipping coffee by the shore.
10. What did Joan fear losing if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Her self-confidence.
(b) Her autonomy.
(c) Her new friends.
(d) Her job at the fish market.
11. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
(a) A gift certificate to a local restaurant.
(b) A swordfish steak.
(c) A gift certficate to the local spa.
(d) A bottle of wine.
12. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
(a) With fish market earnings and an unexpected royalty check.
(b) By clamming.
(c) She sold a new book.
(d) She borrowed the money from Joan Erikson.
13. How many pounds of clams did Joshua Cahoon like to dig in a single day?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Three hundred pounds.
(d) Twelve pounds.
14. What did Hazel do for a living?
(a) She was an accountant.
(b) She was an attorney.
(c) She was a pediatrician.
(d) She was an ophthalmologist.
15. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
(a) She liked being around other people.
(b) She missed her husband.
(c) She was in control of her life & when guests came and left.
(d) She hated socializing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
2. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
3. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
4. Who was paying for the work of the men Joan found at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
5. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)