|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Female friendships.
(b) Being alone to think and write.
(c) Living on Cape Cod.
(d) Having secrets.
2. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) One month.
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight days
3. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
(a) She missed her husband.
(b) She liked being around other people.
(c) She was in control of her life & when guests came and left.
(d) She hated socializing.
4. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A book of poems.
(c) A hand--painted sign that said "Tradition".
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
5. Who advised Joan to dig for clams to earn the money to replace her broken appliance?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Joan Erickson.
6. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a psychoanalyst.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He was a chef.
7. What did Hazel do for a living?
(a) She was a pediatrician.
(b) She was an attorney.
(c) She was an ophthalmologist.
(d) She was an accountant.
8. What snack did the bartender put out without charge for Joan's party for her husband?
(a) A tray of veggies and dip.
(b) Tortilla chips and salsa.
(c) Mixed nuts.
(d) A cheese ball and crackers.
9. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
(a) Wrought iron enches.
(b) Old church pews.
(c) Milk cartons.
(d) Rocking chairs.
10. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
(b) One in western Utah.
(c) One in Coral Gables.
(d) One in Europe.
11. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) To grieve for her dead father.
(b) To decide if she wanted to marry Joshua Cahoon.
(c) To conduct research for a book on seals.
(d) To contemplate the future of her marriage.
12. What did Joan tuck into the corners of the boxes of fish she packed at the fish market?
(a) Styrofoam packing.
(d) Bluefish paté.
13. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) One dozen.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two dozen.
14. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
(a) A book and a glass of iced tea.
(b) A pillow and blanket so she could enjoy a nap.
(c) A glass of lemonade and some chocolate chip cookies.
(d) A radio.
15. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
(a) She did not want to miss a single thing.
(b) She had a low supply of ink.
(c) She was tired of writing and was thinking of changing jobs.
(d) She had a low supply of paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. Although Joan missed her sons after they left the cottage once Memorial Day ended, what did she look forward to regaining?
3. What did Joan fear losing if she reunited with her husband?
4. How did Joan think the seals had influenced her life?
5. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)