|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
(a) Her priest.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) Her husband, her sons, and her daughters-in-law.
2. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Eight days
3. How tall was Joan's husband?
(a) Six foot one.
(b) Five feet nine.
(c) Six foot four.
(d) Five feet eleven.
4. What gift did Joan give her husband at the party?
(a) A tide clock.
(b) A new tie.
(c) A coffee maker.
(d) A gold watch.
5. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
(a) Wrought iron enches.
(b) Milk cartons.
(c) Old church pews.
(d) Rocking chairs.
6. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(b) That she wanted to have another baby.
(c) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
(d) That she wanted to move to Europe.
7. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) A hand--painted sign that said "Tradition".
(c) A necklace.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
8. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
(a) Cut it off with a pair of scissors.
(b) Wore it as a headband.
(c) Threw it into the sea.
(d) Threw it into the lobster tank.
9. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(b) She didn't learn anything about herself.
(c) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(d) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
10. How many pounds of clams did Joshua Cahoon like to dig in a single day?
(a) Twelve pounds.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) Three hundred pounds.
11. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To stop living for others.
(b) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To become finished.
12. What did Hazel cook Joan for breakfast?
(a) Scrambled eggs and bacon.
(b) An omelet.
(c) Oatmeal and buttered toast.
(d) Blueberry pancakes.
13. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) To forgive is divine.
(b) Love conquers all.
(c) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
(d) The opposite of love is indifference.
14. How did Joan think she was like beach glass?
(a) She was sharp and could cut.
(b) She had been discarded like trash.
(c) She was bright and shiny.
(d) She had been through a lot and had become new.
15. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a psychoanalyst.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
2. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
3. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
4. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
5. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)