|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan feel that her previous hiking adventures had not tested her independence?
(a) They were easy trips without physical challenges.
(b) She went on the trips with others rather than going alone.
(c) She was a child on her previous trips.
(d) Someone besides herself had paid for her previous trips.
2. How many buckets of clams did Joan set as her goal for her first day of clamming?
3. On what did men sit while drinking coffee outside the general store?
(a) Wrought iron enches.
(b) Old church pews.
(c) Rocking chairs.
(d) Milk cartons.
4. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
(a) Her husband got ill and needed her.
(b) Her mother got ill and needed her.
(c) A procession of visitors to her cottage.
(d) Her son's wife was pregnant and needed her help.
5. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To become finished.
(b) To stop living for others.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
6. Who applauded Joan's job of clamming?
(a) Joan Erickson.
(c) The fish market owner's wife.
(d) Joan's husband.
7. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
8. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
(a) It was very hot and she feared dehydrating.
(b) It was hurricane season.
(c) It was too foggy to see and she feared falling or drowning.
(d) A blizzard struck.
9. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One hour.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
10. What did Hazel cook Joan for breakfast?
(a) An omelet.
(b) Scrambled eggs and bacon.
(c) Oatmeal and buttered toast.
(d) Blueberry pancakes.
11. Who was paying for the work of the men Joan found at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
(a) Joan's older son and his wife.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) The fishermen.
12. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
(a) Joan wasn't a skilled cook.
(b) The crew hated her cooking.
(c) The crew had various dietary preferences.
(d) Joan didn't have many cooking utensils at the cottage.
13. What did Joan decide at the end of her month of increased socializing in Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow?
(a) She was in control of her life & when guests came and left.
(b) She hated socializing.
(c) She missed her husband.
(d) She liked being around other people.
14. What strong women inspired Joan to think that she could find a way to replace her broken appliance?
(a) Joan Erickson and Hazel.
(b) Her mother-in-law and daughters-in-law.
(c) Her mother, grandmother, and aunt.
(d) The wives of the Cape Cod fishermen.
15. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
(a) Hot dogs and baked beans.
(b) A bouillabaisse.
(c) Nothing - she refused to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan define menopause?
2. How tall was Joan's husband?
3. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. What gift did Joan receive from her daughter-in-law on Memorial Day?
5. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what flowers did Joan's neighbors say she could pick from their yard?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)