|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the wife of Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
(a) She was a psychologist.
(b) She was an actress.
(c) She was a seamstress.
(d) She was an Episcopal priest.
2. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
(a) She had a low supply of paper.
(b) She did not want to miss a single thing.
(c) She had a low supply of ink.
(d) She was tired of writing and was thinking of changing jobs.
3. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. What term had Joan Erickson's late husband coined?
(b) Identity crisis.
(c) Midlife crisis.
5. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what flowers did Joan's neighbors say she could pick from their yard?
(a) Some white lillies.
(b) Some orange begonias.
(c) Some Shasta daisies.
(d) Some pink roses.
6. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in Coral Gables.
(b) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
(c) One in western Utah.
(d) One in Europe.
7. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
(a) As a showpiece with a fancy horn and a big basket.
(b) As a thrift store model with chipped paint.
(c) As a workhorse with large tires and a rusting chain.
(d) As a racer with sleek lines and a fast speed.
8. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
(a) The hot water heater.
(b) The washing machine.
(c) The refrigerator.
(d) The dishwasher.
9. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A bathing suit and towel.
(b) Jeans and a black linen blazer.
(c) A tailored gray wool suit and black boots.
(d) A red evening gown and heels.
10. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
(a) The crew hated her cooking.
(b) Joan wasn't a skilled cook.
(c) The crew had various dietary preferences.
(d) Joan didn't have many cooking utensils at the cottage.
11. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(b) To stop living for others.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To become finished.
12. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(b) If he quit his job.
(c) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
(d) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
13. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
(a) A gift certificate to a local restaurant.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A gift certficate to the local spa.
(d) A swordfish steak.
14. What did the T-shirt Joan wore on the seal island say?
(a) I love me.
(b) I am woman.
(c) This is what it looks like to be fifty.
(d) I love Cape Cod.
15. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
(a) Her husband got ill and needed her.
(b) A procession of visitors to her cottage.
(c) Her son's wife was pregnant and needed her help.
(d) Her mother got ill and needed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hazel?
2. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
3. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
4. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. What gift did Joan give her husband at the party?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)