|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
(a) French perfume.
(b) Lemon-scented perfume.
(c) Honeysuckle and lavender perfume.
(d) Tea rose and gardenia perfume.
2. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, who came to Cape Cod to shoot a film?
(a) Joan's older son.
(c) Joan's nephew.
(d) A famous Hollywood producer.
3. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
(a) As a racer with sleek lines and a fast speed.
(b) As a thrift store model with chipped paint.
(c) As a workhorse with large tires and a rusting chain.
(d) As a showpiece with a fancy horn and a big basket.
4. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
(a) Grand Central Station at rush hour.
(b) A quiet funeral.
(c) Dulles Airport at Christmas.
(d) The New York Stock Exchange.
5. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
(a) High winds, a heavy mist, and Joan's inexperience.
(b) Joan's fever and shortage of tools.
(c) Joan's fear of drowning or falling while searching for clams.
(d) A clam shortage and a rainstorm.
6. How much did a license for clamming cost Joan?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Fifteen dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Eighty dollars.
7. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
(a) A pillow and blanket so she could enjoy a nap.
(b) A book and a glass of iced tea.
(c) A glass of lemonade and some chocolate chip cookies.
(d) A radio.
8. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
(a) She borrowed the money from Joan Erikson.
(b) She sold a new book.
(c) With fish market earnings and an unexpected royalty check.
(d) By clamming.
9. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Stomping around on the sand.
(b) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
(c) Pouring water on the sand.
(d) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
10. Where did Joan Erickson tell Joan A. was the only place to find answers about herself?
(a) In her own heart.
(b) From her family.
(c) From her friends.
(d) From her physician.
11. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) To forgive is divine.
(b) The opposite of love is indifference.
(c) Love conquers all.
(d) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
12. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
(a) The hot water heater.
(b) The refrigerator.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The washing machine.
13. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(b) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(c) She didn't learn anything about herself.
(d) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
14. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If he quit his job.
(b) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
(c) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(d) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
15. How did Joan's family feel when they learned she had a job digging for clams?
(d) Surprised but impressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
3. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
4. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
5. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)