|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
(a) High winds, a heavy mist, and Joan's inexperience.
(b) Joan's fear of drowning or falling while searching for clams.
(c) A clam shortage and a rainstorm.
(d) Joan's fever and shortage of tools.
2. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
(a) As a workhorse with large tires and a rusting chain.
(b) As a showpiece with a fancy horn and a big basket.
(c) As a thrift store model with chipped paint.
(d) As a racer with sleek lines and a fast speed.
3. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A welcome party.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) An anniversary party.
(d) A change-of-life party.
4. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
(a) Joan Erikson.
(c) Her oldest son and his wife.
(d) Her husband.
5. How tall was Joan's husband?
(a) Five feet eleven.
(b) Six foot one.
(c) Five feet nine.
(d) Six foot four.
6. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Pouring water on the sand.
(b) Stomping around on the sand.
(c) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
(d) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
7. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what was Joan hired to do for the film crew?
8. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to have another baby.
(b) That she wanted to move to Europe.
(c) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(d) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
9. How long was the film crew on Cape Cod?
(a) Eight days
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One month.
10. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two days.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) One week.
11. What did Joan cook for Memorial Day dinner?
(a) Hot dogs and baked beans.
(b) Nothing - she refused to cook.
(d) A bouillabaisse.
12. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(b) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
(c) If he quit his job.
(d) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
13. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joan's cousin.
(b) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(c) An old friend of Joan.
(d) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
14. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
(a) A pot and lid.
(b) A fishing pole and bait.
(c) A stick and a bag.
(d) A rake and a basket.
15. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
(a) The crew hated her cooking.
(b) Joan didn't have many cooking utensils at the cottage.
(c) The crew had various dietary preferences.
(d) Joan wasn't a skilled cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. At the end of Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, who did Joan realize was planning to live with her in the cottage?
3. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
4. What things did Joan notice during her bicycle ride in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor?
5. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)