|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
(a) As a showpiece with a fancy horn and a big basket.
(b) As a racer with sleek lines and a fast speed.
(c) As a thrift store model with chipped paint.
(d) As a workhorse with large tires and a rusting chain.
2. What did Joan think that all women in long-term relationships should consider?
(a) A vegetarian diet.
(b) Cutting their hair very short.
(c) New relationships.
(d) A separation from their men.
3. What term had Joan Erickson's late husband coined?
(a) Midlife crisis.
(b) Identity crisis.
4. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
(a) Her husband, her sons, and her daughters-in-law.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her priest.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
5. Where were Joan's oldest son and his wife going for a bike trip once leaving the cottage after Memorial Day?
(d) The Far East.
6. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
7. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
(a) Tea rose and gardenia perfume.
(b) Honeysuckle and lavender perfume.
(c) Lemon-scented perfume.
(d) French perfume.
8. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
(b) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(c) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
(d) If he quit his job.
9. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) Rubber boots.
(d) Tennis shoes.
10. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
(a) Turning her back on her female friends.
(b) Leaving Cape Cod to return to the city.
(c) Letting others know her secrets.
(d) Returning to her husband.
11. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
(a) A stick and a bag.
(b) A fishing pole and bait.
(c) A rake and a basket.
(d) A pot and lid.
12. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A change-of-life party.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A welcome party.
(d) An anniversary party.
13. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) Love conquers all.
(b) The opposite of love is indifference.
(c) To forgive is divine.
(d) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
14. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
(a) Bottled water.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) A diet cola.
15. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A tailored gray wool suit and black boots.
(b) Jeans and a black linen blazer.
(c) A bathing suit and towel.
(d) A red evening gown and heels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
2. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
3. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. Which of the following was not something that Joan thought would help her maintain her new self if she reunited with her husband?
5. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)