|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) A tent.
(b) A radio.
(c) Food and water.
(d) A sleeping bag and backpack.
2. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, who came to Cape Cod to shoot a film?
(a) Joan's older son.
(b) Joan's nephew.
(c) A famous Hollywood producer.
3. Why did Joan feel that her previous hiking adventures had not tested her independence?
(a) Someone besides herself had paid for her previous trips.
(b) She was a child on her previous trips.
(c) She went on the trips with others rather than going alone.
(d) They were easy trips without physical challenges.
4. How much did a license for clamming cost Joan?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
5. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
(a) Returning to her husband.
(b) Leaving Cape Cod to return to the city.
(c) Letting others know her secrets.
(d) Turning her back on her female friends.
6. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two dozen.
(d) One dozen.
7. In Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did Joan tell Joan Erikson she would miss if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Being alone to think and write.
(b) Living on Cape Cod.
(c) Having secrets.
(d) Female friendships.
8. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in Coral Gables.
(b) One in Europe.
(c) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
(d) One in western Utah.
9. While riding her bicycle in Chapter 14, Safe Harbor, with whom did Joan wonder if she could ever share a bike ride?
(b) Her oldest son and his wife.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Joan Erikson.
10. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
(a) She had overtaxed the appliance.
(b) She could ask one of her fishermen friends for the money.
(c) She should have been living with him as he had planned.
(d) He could give her the money right away.
11. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
(a) Tea rose and gardenia perfume.
(b) Honeysuckle and lavender perfume.
(c) French perfume.
(d) Lemon-scented perfume.
12. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
(b) Pouring water on the sand.
(c) Stomping around on the sand.
(d) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
13. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To become finished.
(b) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(c) To become artistic.
(d) To stop living for others.
14. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If he quit his job.
(b) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
(c) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
(d) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
15. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
(a) Putting up a new picket fence.
(b) Replacing her garage door.
(c) Painting her house.
(d) Repairing her roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tools did Joan need for clamming?
2. What gift did Joan give her husband at the party?
3. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
5. How had Joan spent Labor Days prior to her year alone by the sea?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)