|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pounds of clams did Joshua Cahoon like to dig in a single day?
(a) Three hundred pounds.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Twelve pounds.
(d) One hundred pounds.
2. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One hour.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Twenty-four hours.
3. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
(a) High winds, a heavy mist, and Joan's inexperience.
(b) Joan's fever and shortage of tools.
(c) A clam shortage and a rainstorm.
(d) Joan's fear of drowning or falling while searching for clams.
4. Who advised Joan to dig for clams to earn the money to replace her broken appliance?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Joan Erickson.
5. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what flowers did Joan's neighbors say she could pick from their yard?
(a) Some pink roses.
(b) Some Shasta daisies.
(c) Some white lillies.
(d) Some orange begonias.
6. Once Joan was dropped off on the seal island, how did she feel?
(a) Afraid, knowing that she was alone if any emergency arose.
(b) Angry, knowing her husband would soon return.
7. What factors complicated Joan's job for the film crew?
(a) The crew hated her cooking.
(b) The crew had various dietary preferences.
(c) Joan wasn't a skilled cook.
(d) Joan didn't have many cooking utensils at the cottage.
8. What kind of perfume did Joan wear to greet her husband in the final chapter of the book?
(a) Honeysuckle and lavender perfume.
(b) Tea rose and gardenia perfume.
(c) Lemon-scented perfume.
(d) French perfume.
9. What beverage did Joan buy at the general store?
(a) Iced tea.
(c) Bottled water.
(d) A diet cola.
10. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(b) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(c) Joan's cousin.
(d) An old friend of Joan.
11. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One in Europe.
(b) One in Coral Gables.
(c) One in western Utah.
(d) One in the Andes and one in the Grand Canyon.
12. Who visited Joan on Memorial Day?
(a) Her mother-in-law.
(b) Her priest.
(c) Her husband, her sons, and her daughters-in-law.
(d) Her mother.
13. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
(a) A procession of visitors to her cottage.
(b) Her mother got ill and needed her.
(c) Her husband got ill and needed her.
(d) Her son's wife was pregnant and needed her help.
14. How had Joan spent Labor Days prior to her year alone by the sea?
(a) Doing housework.
(b) Visiting her in-laws.
(c) Watching tv.
(d) Organizing family picnics.
15. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
(a) She was tired of writing and was thinking of changing jobs.
(b) She had a low supply of paper.
(c) She did not want to miss a single thing.
(d) She had a low supply of ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan describe her bicycle?
2. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
3. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
4. As Joan let sand flow through her fingers in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, what did the sand symbolize to her?
5. How did Joan pay for her husband's party?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)