|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, to what did Joan equate Labor Day at the fish market?
(a) Grand Central Station at rush hour.
(b) A quiet funeral.
(c) Dulles Airport at Christmas.
(d) The New York Stock Exchange.
3. What did Joan think the task of an unfinished woman was?
(a) To become finished.
(b) To become artistic.
(c) To acknowledge her life as a work in progress.
(d) To stop living for others.
4. What gift did the fish market owner give Joan at the end of the season?
(a) A gift certficate to the local spa.
(b) A gift certificate to a local restaurant.
(c) A swordfish steak.
(d) A bottle of wine.
5. During her bicycle ride, what words did Joan see on a sign in front of the Methodist Church?
(a) To forgive is divine.
(b) Love conquers all.
(c) The opposite of love is indifference.
(d) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
6. How did Joan think the seals had influenced her life?
(a) By setting her onto a different path.
(b) By helping her swim more.
(c) By making her become a vegetarian.
(d) By giving her a new book idea.
7. How long did Joan spend alone on the island with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) One hour.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
8. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
(a) That she wanted to divorce her husband.
(b) That she wanted to move to Europe.
(c) That she wanted to stay in Cape Cod.
(d) That she wanted to have another baby.
9. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, who came to Cape Cod to shoot a film?
(a) Joan's older son.
(b) Joan's nephew.
(d) A famous Hollywood producer.
10. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
11. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A tailored gray wool suit and black boots.
(b) A red evening gown and heels.
(c) Jeans and a black linen blazer.
(d) A bathing suit and towel.
12. Why did Joan want to be alone on the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) To decide if she wanted to marry Joshua Cahoon.
(b) To contemplate the future of her marriage.
(c) To conduct research for a book on seals.
(d) To grieve for her dead father.
13. Which of the following statements was not something Joan's husband said when she called to ask him if he could help her pay for the broken appliance?
(a) She had overtaxed the appliance.
(b) She could ask one of her fishermen friends for the money.
(c) She should have been living with him as he had planned.
(d) He could give her the money right away.
14. Who was Hazel?
(a) An old friend of Joan.
(b) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(c) Joan's cousin.
(d) Joan's daughter-in-law.
15. What did Joan think that all women in long-term relationships should consider?
(a) New relationships.
(b) A separation from their men.
(c) A vegetarian diet.
(d) Cutting their hair very short.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
2. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
3. While walking with Joan Erickson in Chapter 10, Seal Woman, what animal did Joan see staring into a puddle?
4. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
5. How tall was Joan's husband?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)