|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan think she was like beach glass?
(a) She had been through a lot and had become new.
(b) She had been discarded like trash.
(c) She was bright and shiny.
(d) She was sharp and could cut.
2. Who was Hazel?
(a) Joan's cousin.
(b) Joan's daughter-in-law.
(c) Joshua Cahoon's wife.
(d) An old friend of Joan.
3. Why did Joan feel that her previous hiking adventures had not tested her independence?
(a) She went on the trips with others rather than going alone.
(b) They were easy trips without physical challenges.
(c) She was a child on her previous trips.
(d) Someone besides herself had paid for her previous trips.
4. Why did Joan decide not to write in her journal on the seal island?
(a) She did not want to miss a single thing.
(b) She was tired of writing and was thinking of changing jobs.
(c) She had a low supply of paper.
(d) She had a low supply of ink.
5. How tall was Joan's husband?
(a) Six foot four.
(b) Five feet eleven.
(c) Five feet nine.
(d) Six foot one.
6. What did the sign in front of the Methodist Church make Joan wonder about herself?
(a) If she needed to forgive more.
(b) If she had been indifferent about her life and her marriage.
(c) If she needed to treat others more nicely.
(d) If she needed to love more.
7. Why did Joan plant the tulips?
(a) She needed to cover a bare patch of her lawn.
(b) To remind herself to keep blooming like the flowers.
(c) They were her favorite flowers.
(d) They were her husband's favorite flowers.
8. What kind of car did Joan's oldest son own?
(a) A Toyota.
(b) A Chevrolet.
(c) A Ford.
(d) A Dodge.
9. How many tulip bulbs did Joan plant in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(b) One hundred.
(c) One dozen.
(d) Two dozen.
10. What disappointed Joan about her visit with Joan Erickson's cousin?
(a) She found Joan Erickson's cousin dull.
(b) She had hoped for a longer visit.
(c) She had hoped for a shorter visit.
(d) She didn't learn anything about herself.
11. With which Greek goddess did Joan feel an affinity when she swam with the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
12. What did the T-shirt Joan wore on the seal island say?
(a) I love Cape Cod.
(b) This is what it looks like to be fifty.
(c) I am woman.
(d) I love me.
13. Which of the following was not something Joan took with her to the island of the seals in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
(a) A sleeping bag and backpack.
(b) Food and water.
(c) A tent.
(d) A radio.
14. What did Hazel do for a living?
(a) She was an attorney.
(b) She was an ophthalmologist.
(c) She was a pediatrician.
(d) She was an accountant.
15. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what did Joan take with her to the chaise longue to enjoy some peace and quiet before her husband arrived at the cottage?
(a) A book and a glass of iced tea.
(b) A radio.
(c) A glass of lemonade and some chocolate chip cookies.
(d) A pillow and blanket so she could enjoy a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was a basket of clams worth?
2. What worry did Joan have about the weather during her time on the seal island?
3. What did Joan conclude while visiting the general store?
4. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
5. In Chapter 12, Low Tide, what appliance in Joan's cottage broke?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)