|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan Erickson's cousin do for a living?
(a) He was a psychoanalyst.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He was a chef.
2. What did one of the party guests do to Joan's husband's tie?
(a) Threw it into the lobster tank.
(b) Threw it into the sea.
(c) Cut it off with a pair of scissors.
(d) Wore it as a headband.
3. What did Joan discover that her sons' wives wanted after their marriages?
4. What did Joan find workmen doing at her cottage upon her return from the general store?
(a) Putting up a new picket fence.
(b) Repairing her roof.
(c) Painting her house.
(d) Replacing her garage door.
5. What factors complicated Joan's first day of clamming?
(a) Joan's fever and shortage of tools.
(b) A clam shortage and a rainstorm.
(c) Joan's fear of drowning or falling while searching for clams.
(d) High winds, a heavy mist, and Joan's inexperience.
6. In Chapter 16, Port of Call, what flowers did Joan's neighbors say she could pick from their yard?
(a) Some white lillies.
(b) Some pink roses.
(c) Some orange begonias.
(d) Some Shasta daisies.
7. Under what conditions did Joan decide she could let her husband return home?
(a) If they collaborated & it wasn't just a matter of convenience.
(b) If he quit his job.
(c) If he begged her forgiveness for his past selfishness.
(d) If he agreed to let her remain at Cape Cod.
8. What did Hazel do for a living?
(a) She was an accountant.
(b) She was an attorney.
(c) She was a pediatrician.
(d) She was an ophthalmologist.
9. What did Joan fear losing if she reunited with her husband?
(a) Her self-confidence.
(b) Her new friends.
(c) Her autonomy.
(d) Her job at the fish market.
10. What did Joan Erikson say in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty, would be giving away some of Joan's strength?
(a) Leaving Cape Cod to return to the city.
(b) Returning to her husband.
(c) Letting others know her secrets.
(d) Turning her back on her female friends.
11. What action made the clams spit, i.e. make holes in the sand that revealed where they were?
(a) Stomping around on the sand.
(b) Pouring water on the sand.
(c) Putting raw hamburger on the sand as clam bait.
(d) Singing loudly to scare the clams.
12. While walking with Joan Erickson in Chapter 10, Seal Woman, what animal did Joan see staring into a puddle?
(a) A brown bear.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A beaver.
(d) A red fox.
13. What did Joan think that all women in long-term relationships should consider?
(a) Cutting their hair very short.
(b) New relationships.
(c) A vegetarian diet.
(d) A separation from their men.
14. What kind of party did Joan throw for her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
(a) A welcome party.
(b) An anniversary party.
(c) A change-of-life party.
(d) A birthday party.
15. What gift did Joan give her husband at the party?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A coffee maker.
(c) A tide clock.
(d) A new tie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of footwear did Joan wear to the island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
2. What previous hiking trips did Joan think of while traveling to the seal island in Chapter 15, Wild and Salty?
3. What outfit did Joan wear to greet her husband in Chapter 16, Port of Call?
4. Who was Hazel?
5. How much did a license for clamming cost Joan?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)