|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) The bad economy for fishing that year.
(b) A local murder.
(c) Joan's separation from her husband.
(d) The seals in the harbor.
2. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She ran for charity.
(b) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(c) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(d) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
3. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(b) She outran her sister.
(c) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(d) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
4. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was funny.
(b) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
(c) That she was childish.
(d) That she had changed and become more free.
5. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) A sweater.
(c) Peanut butter.
(d) A stale bagel.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(b) That he wanted a divorce.
(c) That he had cancer.
(d) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
7. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) One week.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Two hours.
8. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Recover from an automobile accident.
(b) Sell her family's cottage.
(c) Work on a book.
(d) Paint and sell her art work.
9. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Built a snowman.
(b) Cooked the family's traditional holiday food.
(c) Lit kerosene lanters and candles.
(d) Nailed a homemade wreath onto a tree.
10. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(d) Her publisher went out of business.
11. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A phone call from her youngest son.
(b) The young men who work at the fish market.
(c) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(d) An approaching holiday.
12. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
13. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
14. What is ebb tide?
(a) The time when the tide falls.
(b) The time when the tide rises.
(c) The time when it floods.
(d) The intermediate time when the tide neither rises nor falls.
15. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
(a) Joan's husband.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) The fish market owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
2. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
3. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
4. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
5. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)