|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
2. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
(a) She was a vegetarian.
(b) She swam a lot.
(c) She took vitamins every day.
(d) She walked a couple of miles every day.
3. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(a) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
4. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) He was not coming.
5. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(c) Her neighbor.
(d) Joan Erickson.
6. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Six thirty.
(b) Five thirty.
(c) Four thirty.
(d) Eight thirty.
7. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) Her husband walking the dog.
(b) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
(c) The sunrise.
(d) The neighborhood children walking to school.
8. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
9. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) The young men who work at the fish market.
(b) An approaching holiday.
(c) A phone call from her youngest son.
(d) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
10. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Going to the laundromat.
(b) Going to the post office.
(c) Walking her dog.
(d) Picking her daughter up from school.
11. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Chevrolet Impala.
(b) A Mercedes.
(c) A Volvo.
(d) A Toyota Camry.
12. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(b) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(c) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(d) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
13. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
14. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(b) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(c) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(d) She had taxes to pay.
15. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was funny.
(b) That she had changed and become more free.
(c) That she was childish.
(d) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
2. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
3. What is ebb tide?
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
5. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)