|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) The fish market owner.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Her husband.
2. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
(b) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(c) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(d) White pants and black tee-shirts.
3. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) The local pastor.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Her younger son.
4. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(d) The Philippines.
5. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Three dozen.
6. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
7. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) An alcoholic family.
(b) A musical family.
(c) An artistic family.
(d) A diabetic family.
8. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
9. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their swimming skills.
(b) Their home in the ocean.
(c) Their cuteness.
(d) Their warm layer of body fat.
10. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) The seals in the harbor.
(b) Joan's separation from her husband.
(c) The bad economy for fishing that year.
(d) A local murder.
11. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her neighbor.
(c) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(d) Joan Erickson.
12. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
(a) She walked a couple of miles every day.
(b) She took vitamins every day.
(c) She swam a lot.
(d) She was a vegetarian.
13. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
(c) An umbrella.
(d) Better food.
14. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He worked with her husband.
(b) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
(c) He was her editor.
(d) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
15. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
(b) Roller skating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
2. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
3. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
4. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
5. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)