|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Catching fish.
(b) Dealing with customers.
(c) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
(d) Hauling and weighing fish.
2. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(a) Orange and green.
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(b) They had too many parties to plan.
(c) They had too much shopping to do.
(d) They were trying to please everyone.
4. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She had taxes to pay.
(b) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(c) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(d) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
5. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) Her older brother.
(d) Her youngest son.
6. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stood up to greet her.
(b) They bought her drinks.
(c) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(d) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
7. What is ebb tide?
(a) The time when the tide rises.
(b) The intermediate time when the tide neither rises nor falls.
(c) The time when it floods.
(d) The time when the tide falls.
8. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They swam away from her.
(c) They attacked her.
(d) They ignored her.
9. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorized wheelchair.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
10. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
11. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Mercedes.
(b) A Toyota Camry.
(c) A Volvo.
(d) A Chevrolet Impala.
12. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(b) A local bar.
(c) Larry's PX.
(d) Her oldest son's house.
13. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(b) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(c) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(d) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
14. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A school.
(b) A military store.
(c) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
(d) A fishing boat.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(b) That he wanted a divorce.
(c) That he had cancer.
(d) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
2. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
3. What did Joan envy about the seals?
4. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
5. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)