|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(b) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(c) That he had cancer.
(d) That he wanted a divorce.
2. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
(b) She outran her sister.
(c) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(d) She had entered a new phase of her life.
3. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Built a snowman.
(b) Cooked the family's traditional holiday food.
(c) Nailed a homemade wreath onto a tree.
(d) Lit kerosene lanters and candles.
4. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her oldest son.
(b) Her youngest son.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her older brother.
5. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) Joan's separation from her husband.
(b) The seals in the harbor.
(c) A local murder.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
6. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) He was not coming.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
7. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(d) Her children were grown.
8. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a much younger man.
(b) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(c) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(d) That she and her husband were separated.
9. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) Her children's education.
(b) Most of the family's extras.
(d) The mortgage.
10. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
(b) A fishing boat.
(c) A military store.
(d) A school.
11. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They attacked her.
(c) They ignored her.
(d) They swam away from her.
12. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(b) A motorized wheelchair.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) A skateboard.
13. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) The fish market owner.
(d) Her oldest son.
14. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(b) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
15. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(b) A lonely mausoleum.
(c) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(d) A chrome and glass condominium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
2. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
4. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
5. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)