|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
(a) She swam a lot.
(b) She walked a couple of miles every day.
(c) She took vitamins every day.
(d) She was a vegetarian.
2. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her neighbor.
(c) Her coworkers at the fish market.
(d) Joan Erickson.
3. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
4. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) The cottage.
(b) The book she was writing.
(c) Her life and herself.
5. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A boarding school in England.
(c) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(d) An Episcopalian boarding school.
6. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(b) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
(c) She outran her sister.
(d) She showed her husband she could do new things.
7. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(b) Orange and green.
8. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) He was not coming.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
9. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) A for sale sign.
(b) A broken bicycle.
(c) A lost puppy.
(d) An angel statue.
10. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She had taxes to pay.
(b) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(c) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(d) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
11. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
(a) A bathing suit and sunscreen.
(b) A camera.
(c) A blanket, coat and gloves.
(d) Warm clothes and a sandwich.
12. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
(b) Christmas carolers at the front door.
(c) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
(d) A warm house.
13. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was funny.
(b) That she had changed and become more free.
(c) That she was childish.
(d) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
14. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A lonely mausoleum.
(b) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(c) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(d) A chrome and glass condominium.
15. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(b) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(c) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(d) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
2. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
3. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
4. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
5. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)