|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was ill.
(b) It was molting.
(c) It was a plastic lobster.
(d) It was sleeping.
2. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stood up to greet her.
(b) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(c) They bought her drinks.
(d) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
3. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Eight years.
4. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(b) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(c) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
(d) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
5. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) Eight hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One week.
6. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They attacked her.
(c) They swam away from her.
(d) They ignored her.
7. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Nailed a homemade wreath onto a tree.
(b) Built a snowman.
(c) Cooked the family's traditional holiday food.
(d) Lit kerosene lanters and candles.
8. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
(a) The market owner.
(b) The market owner's wife.
(c) A female coworker.
(d) Joan E.
9. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's brother.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) Joan's younger son.
(d) Joan's older son.
10. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
11. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(b) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(c) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(d) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
12. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) Larry's PX.
(c) Her oldest son's house.
(d) A local bar.
13. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
(a) Warm clothes and a sandwich.
(b) A camera.
(c) A blanket, coat and gloves.
(d) A bathing suit and sunscreen.
14. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She became afraid.
(b) She rejoiced.
(c) She cried.
(d) She begged him to come back.
15. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) One mile.
(b) Fifty yards.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
2. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
3. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
4. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
5. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)