|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They were trying to please everyone.
(b) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(c) They had too much shopping to do.
(d) They had too many parties to plan.
2. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) A stale bagel.
(c) A sweater.
(d) Peanut butter.
3. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(b) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(c) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(d) She ran for charity.
4. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their cuteness.
(b) Their swimming skills.
(c) Their home in the ocean.
(d) Their warm layer of body fat.
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
(b) Penn State.
6. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(b) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(c) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(d) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
7. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) The young men who work at the fish market.
(b) An approaching holiday.
(c) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(d) A phone call from her youngest son.
8. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She became afraid.
(b) She rejoiced.
(c) She cried.
(d) She begged him to come back.
9. What is ebb tide?
(a) The time when the tide rises.
(b) The time when it floods.
(c) The intermediate time when the tide neither rises nor falls.
(d) The time when the tide falls.
10. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) Six and twelve.
(b) They were grown.
(c) They were infants.
(d) Three and ten.
11. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at a party.
(b) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
(c) They met at the fish market.
(d) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
12. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(b) Two hundred.
(c) One hundred.
13. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Joan's old necklaces.
(b) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(d) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
14. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) Her children were grown.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(d) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
15. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) Three dozen.
(c) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
3. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
4. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
5. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)