|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) A for sale sign.
(b) A broken bicycle.
(c) An angel statue.
(d) A lost puppy.
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They had too many parties to plan.
(b) They had too much shopping to do.
(c) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(d) They were trying to please everyone.
3. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) A musical family.
(b) An artistic family.
(c) An alcoholic family.
(d) A diabetic family.
4. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
5. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a much younger man.
(b) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(c) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(d) That she and her husband were separated.
6. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(b) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(c) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(d) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
7. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at a party.
(b) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
(c) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
(d) They met at the fish market.
8. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) A local murder.
(b) The seals in the harbor.
(c) Joan's separation from her husband.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
9. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She rejoiced.
(b) She begged him to come back.
(c) She cried.
(d) She became afraid.
10. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Recover from an automobile accident.
(b) Sell her family's cottage.
(c) Work on a book.
(d) Paint and sell her art work.
11. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(d) The Philippines.
12. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They ignored her.
(c) They attacked her.
(d) They swam away from her.
13. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was ill.
(b) It was molting.
(c) It was a plastic lobster.
(d) It was sleeping.
14. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) He was not coming.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
15. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) They were grown.
(b) Three and ten.
(c) Six and twelve.
(d) They were infants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
2. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
3. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
4. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
5. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)