|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(a) Roman soldiers.
2. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Picking her daughter up from school.
(b) Walking her dog.
(c) Going to the post office.
(d) Going to the laundromat.
3. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) She did have everything she wanted.
(b) She had everything she was told she should want.
(c) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(d) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
4. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Five thirty.
(b) Eight thirty.
(c) Four thirty.
(d) Six thirty.
5. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She rejoiced.
(b) She begged him to come back.
(c) She became afraid.
(d) She cried.
6. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(b) Joan's old necklaces.
(c) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
7. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
(b) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(c) The book club members left town for the holidays.
(d) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
8. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(a) The Philippines.
9. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(d) Los Angeles.
10. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(c) Larry's PX.
(d) Her oldest son's house.
11. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) Her children were grown.
(d) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
12. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) A stale bagel.
(b) Peanut butter.
(c) A sweater.
13. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They bought her drinks.
(b) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(c) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(d) They stood up to greet her.
14. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
(a) Warm clothes and a sandwich.
(b) A camera.
(c) A blanket, coat and gloves.
(d) A bathing suit and sunscreen.
15. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Fifty yards.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) One mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
2. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
3. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
4. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
5. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)