|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) Three dozen.
(b) One hundred.
2. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(c) Los Angeles.
3. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(b) A clock.
(c) A painting of an Indian village.
(d) A painting of a crossroads.
4. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(a) The Philippines.
5. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
(a) The market owner.
(b) Joan E.
(c) A female coworker.
(d) The market owner's wife.
6. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(b) They stood up to greet her.
(c) They bought her drinks.
(d) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
7. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
8. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her oldest son.
(b) Her youngest son.
(c) Her older brother.
(d) Her cousin.
9. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(b) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
(c) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(d) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
10. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
(a) It was ill.
(b) It was sleeping.
(c) It was molting.
(d) It was a plastic lobster.
11. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
(a) As breadwinner.
(b) As the victim of Joan's nagging.
(c) As an equal partner.
(d) As Joan's protector.
12. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She attended drama school.
(b) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(c) She sold a magazine story.
(d) She worked in the African bush.
13. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
(a) Cape Cod.
(b) Martha's Vineyard.
(c) Key Biscayne.
14. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
15. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The book club members left town for the holidays.
(b) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
(c) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
(d) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
2. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
4. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
5. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)