|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(b) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(c) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(d) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
2. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(b) They were trying to please everyone.
(c) They had too much shopping to do.
(d) They had too many parties to plan.
3. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(b) Her oldest son's house.
(c) Larry's PX.
4. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
(b) They met at the fish market.
(c) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
(d) They met at a party.
5. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
6. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Six thirty.
(b) Five thirty.
(c) Eight thirty.
(d) Four thirty.
7. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A lonely mausoleum.
(b) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(c) A chrome and glass condominium.
(d) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
8. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Twelve years.
9. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a much younger man.
(b) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(c) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(d) That she and her husband were separated.
10. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) A musical family.
(b) A diabetic family.
(c) An artistic family.
(d) An alcoholic family.
11. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(b) An approaching holiday.
(c) The young men who work at the fish market.
(d) A phone call from her youngest son.
12. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Three dozen.
13. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
(a) That she needed to live like a child again and enjoy life.
(b) That she needed to swim more.
(c) That she needed to interact with animals more.
(d) That she needed to be in the sea more.
14. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A fishing boat.
(b) A school.
(c) A military store.
(d) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
15. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(d) Orange and green.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
2. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
3. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
4. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
5. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)