|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(c) Three dozen.
(d) One hundred.
2. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A lonely mausoleum.
(b) A chrome and glass condominium.
(c) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(d) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
3. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at the fish market.
(b) They met at a party.
(c) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
(d) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
4. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(b) That she was married to a much younger man.
(c) That she and her husband were separated.
(d) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
5. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She attended drama school.
(b) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(c) She worked in the African bush.
(d) She sold a magazine story.
6. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(b) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(c) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
(d) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
7. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
8. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(d) Roman soldiers.
9. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
(b) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(c) She had everything she was told she should want.
(d) She did have everything she wanted.
10. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She begged him to come back.
(b) She cried.
(c) She rejoiced.
(d) She became afraid.
11. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) A warm house.
(b) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
(c) Christmas carolers at the front door.
(d) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
12. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
(a) As an equal partner.
(b) As the victim of Joan's nagging.
(c) As breadwinner.
(d) As Joan's protector.
13. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) Three and ten.
(b) Six and twelve.
(c) They were grown.
(d) They were infants.
14. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Two months.
15. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A phone call from her youngest son.
(b) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(c) An approaching holiday.
(d) The young men who work at the fish market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Larry's PX?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
3. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
4. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
5. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)