|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(b) A lonely mausoleum.
(c) A chrome and glass condominium.
(d) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(b) Her oldest son's house.
(c) Larry's PX.
3. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She worked in the African bush.
(b) She sold a magazine story.
(c) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(d) She attended drama school.
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) The breadwinner.
(b) Pampered housewife.
(c) An equal partner.
(d) Nurturer and caregiver.
5. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(b) A stale bagel.
(c) A sweater.
(d) Peanut butter.
6. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They were trying to please everyone.
(b) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(c) They had too many parties to plan.
(d) They had too much shopping to do.
7. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A painting of a crossroads.
(b) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(c) A clock.
(d) A painting of an Indian village.
8. What did Joan's neighbor think of Joan's job at the fish market?
(a) That it was work Joan would love.
(b) That it was easy work.
(c) That it would pay Joan well.
(d) That it was men's work.
9. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
(a) They missed each other.
(b) They wanted to make Joan's ailing mother happy.
(c) Neither of them wanted to be alone.
(d) They wanted to make a show of unity for their children.
10. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) Joan's separation from her husband.
(b) The bad economy for fishing that year.
(c) The seals in the harbor.
(d) A local murder.
11. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She cried.
(b) She became afraid.
(c) She begged him to come back.
(d) She rejoiced.
12. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Five miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) Two miles.
13. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
14. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
15. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
3. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
4. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
5. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)