|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(b) A lady cop.
(c) Joan Erickson.
(d) The fish market owner's wife.
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) Larry's PX.
(b) A local bar.
(d) Her oldest son's house.
3. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) The fish market owner.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
(a) They wanted to make a show of unity for their children.
(b) Neither of them wanted to be alone.
(c) They wanted to make Joan's ailing mother happy.
(d) They missed each other.
5. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) The young men who work at the fish market.
(b) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(c) A phone call from her youngest son.
(d) An approaching holiday.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(b) To take a leisurely shower.
(c) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(d) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
7. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) The cottage.
(b) Her life and herself.
(c) The book she was writing.
8. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(b) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(c) Her children were grown.
(d) She was a writer.
9. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
10. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) He was not coming.
11. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
(b) That she was childish.
(c) That she was funny.
(d) That she had changed and become more free.
12. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(b) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(c) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(d) She had taxes to pay.
13. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
(a) Key Biscayne.
(b) Cape Cod.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
14. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Two months.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Twelve years.
15. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) Christmas carolers at the front door.
(b) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
(c) A warm house.
(d) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
2. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
3. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
4. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
5. What is ebb tide?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)