|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
2. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she was funny.
(b) That she was childish.
(c) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
(d) That she had changed and become more free.
3. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(b) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(d) Joan's old necklaces.
4. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They had too many parties to plan.
(b) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(c) They were trying to please everyone.
(d) They had too much shopping to do.
5. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) Three dozen.
(c) One hundred.
6. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
(b) Hauling and weighing fish.
(c) Catching fish.
(d) Dealing with customers.
7. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(b) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(c) She ran for charity.
(d) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
8. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(b) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(c) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(d) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
9. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She worked in the African bush.
(b) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(c) She sold a magazine story.
(d) She attended drama school.
10. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was a writer.
(b) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(c) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(d) Her children were grown.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To take a leisurely shower.
(b) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(c) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(d) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
12. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(b) The Philippines.
13. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
(a) An umbrella.
(b) Better food.
14. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(b) A boarding school in England.
(c) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(d) An orphanage.
15. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
(a) Joan's husband.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) The fish market owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Joan get the wobbly kitchen table in the cottage?
2. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
3. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
4. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
5. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)