|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
(a) He was a comedian.
(b) He was a plumber.
(c) He was a doctor.
(d) He was a lawyer.
2. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's brother.
(b) Joan's older son.
(c) Joan's younger son.
(d) Joan's husband.
3. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
(a) That she needed to interact with animals more.
(b) That she needed to live like a child again and enjoy life.
(c) That she needed to swim more.
(d) That she needed to be in the sea more.
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) Nurturer and caregiver.
(b) The breadwinner.
(c) Pampered housewife.
(d) An equal partner.
5. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a much younger man.
(b) That she and her husband were separated.
(c) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(d) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
6. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(b) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(c) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(d) She ran for charity.
7. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(b) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
(c) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(d) She outran her sister.
8. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
(b) The neighborhood children walking to school.
(c) The sunrise.
(d) Her husband walking the dog.
9. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her neighbor.
(c) Joan Erickson.
(d) Her coworkers at the fish market.
10. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) Joan's separation from her husband.
(b) A local murder.
(c) The seals in the harbor.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
11. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stood up to greet her.
(b) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(c) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(d) They bought her drinks.
12. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(b) Most of the family's extras.
(c) Her children's education.
(d) The mortgage.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(b) That he wanted a divorce.
(c) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(d) That he had cancer.
14. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
15. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(b) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
(c) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
(d) The book club members left town for the holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
2. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
3. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
4. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
5. What is ebb tide?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)