|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their cuteness.
(b) Their home in the ocean.
(c) Their swimming skills.
(d) Their warm layer of body fat.
2. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(b) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(c) A chrome and glass condominium.
(d) A lonely mausoleum.
3. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(d) Her publisher went out of business.
4. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(a) Orange and green.
5. What did Joan's neighbor think of Joan's job at the fish market?
(a) That it was easy work.
(b) That it would pay Joan well.
(c) That it was men's work.
(d) That it was work Joan would love.
6. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One week.
(c) Eight hours.
7. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Going to the post office.
(b) Going to the laundromat.
(c) Picking her daughter up from school.
(d) Walking her dog.
8. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
(b) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(c) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(d) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
9. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) The sunrise.
(b) Her husband walking the dog.
(c) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
(d) The neighborhood children walking to school.
10. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(b) Her oldest son's house.
(d) Larry's PX.
11. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Eight years.
12. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) Her children were grown.
(b) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(c) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(d) She was a writer.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he had cancer.
(b) That he wanted a divorce.
(c) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(d) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
14. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(b) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
(c) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(d) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
15. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her older brother.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her youngest son.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, what was really happening with the lobster the two customers thought was dead?
2. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
3. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
5. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)