|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(b) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(c) A boarding school in England.
(d) An orphanage.
2. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(b) Los Angeles.
3. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(d) The Philippines.
4. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) He was not coming.
(d) One day.
5. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her publisher went out of business.
(d) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
6. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A motorized wheelchair.
7. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(b) They bought her drinks.
(c) They stood up to greet her.
(d) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
8. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) A lady cop.
(d) The fish market owner's wife.
9. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
(a) Joan's husband.
(c) The fish market owner.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
10. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
(b) Catching fish.
(c) Hauling and weighing fish.
(d) Dealing with customers.
11. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(b) An approaching holiday.
(c) A phone call from her youngest son.
(d) The young men who work at the fish market.
12. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
13. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Fifty yards.
(c) Two miles.
(d) One mile.
14. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(a) Orange and green.
15. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(b) She did have everything she wanted.
(c) She had everything she was told she should want.
(d) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
2. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
3. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
4. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)