Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
2. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A boarding school in England.
(d) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
3. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(b) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(c) She ran for charity.
(d) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
4. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) A motorized wheelchair.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
5. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(d) The Philippines.
6. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(b) Los Angeles.
7. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
8. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Four thirty.
(c) Five thirty.
(d) Six thirty.
9. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) Pampered housewife.
(b) Nurturer and caregiver.
(c) An equal partner.
(d) The breadwinner.
10. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
(b) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(c) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(d) White pants and black tee-shirts.
11. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He was her editor.
(b) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
(c) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
(d) He worked with her husband.
12. What did Joan's neighbor think of Joan's job at the fish market?
(a) That it was work Joan would love.
(b) That it was easy work.
(c) That it was men's work.
(d) That it would pay Joan well.
13. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They bought her drinks.
(b) They stood up to greet her.
(c) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(d) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
14. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a comedian.
(d) He was a plumber.
15. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A lonely mausoleum.
(b) A chrome and glass condominium.
(c) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(d) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
2. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
3. What is ebb tide?
4. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
5. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)