|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(b) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(c) She ran for charity.
(d) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
2. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She cried.
(b) She became afraid.
(c) She rejoiced.
(d) She begged him to come back.
3. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
(a) They stood up to greet her.
(b) They forbade her to enter the all-male establishment.
(c) They stopped talking for a few minutes.
(d) They bought her drinks.
4. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorized wheelchair.
(b) A skateboard.
(c) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(d) A motorcycle.
5. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(b) To take a leisurely shower.
(c) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(d) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
7. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(b) An approaching holiday.
(c) The young men who work at the fish market.
(d) A phone call from her youngest son.
8. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(c) Roman soldiers.
9. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(b) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
(c) She did have everything she wanted.
(d) She had everything she was told she should want.
10. Approximately how many other runners showed up with Joan to participate in the New Year's Day race?
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
11. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) An artistic family.
(b) A musical family.
(c) A diabetic family.
(d) An alcoholic family.
12. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(b) A sweater.
(c) Peanut butter.
(d) A stale bagel.
13. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
(a) That she needed to swim more.
(b) That she needed to be in the sea more.
(c) That she needed to live like a child again and enjoy life.
(d) That she needed to interact with animals more.
14. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(b) She had taxes to pay.
(c) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(d) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
15. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She attended drama school.
(b) She worked in the African bush.
(c) She sold a magazine story.
(d) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
2. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
3. Who hauled and chopped wood for Joan during her stay at the cottage?
4. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
5. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)