|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
(d) Penn State.
2. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) Her children were grown.
(b) She was a writer.
(c) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(d) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(b) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
(c) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(d) To take a leisurely shower.
4. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(b) A clock.
(c) A painting of an Indian village.
(d) A painting of a crossroads.
5. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a much younger man.
(b) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(c) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(d) That she and her husband were separated.
6. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
7. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) A boarding school in England.
(b) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) An Episcopalian boarding school.
8. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) An angel statue.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A broken bicycle.
(d) A for sale sign.
9. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(b) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(c) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
(d) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
10. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They attacked her.
(b) They swam alongside her.
(c) They swam away from her.
(d) They ignored her.
11. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) The fish market owner.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
12. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her younger son.
(d) The local pastor.
13. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They had too many parties to plan.
(b) They had too much shopping to do.
(c) They were trying to please everyone.
(d) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
14. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A military store.
(b) A fishing boat.
(c) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
(d) A school.
15. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(b) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(c) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(d) She had taxes to pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
2. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
3. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
4. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
5. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)