|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Joan and her family lived in their big old family house?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Two months.
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) The neighborhood children walking to school.
(b) The sunrise.
(c) Her husband walking the dog.
(d) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
3. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
(a) A one-mile walk.
(b) A two-mile walk.
(c) A four-mile walk.
(d) A half-mile walk.
5. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
6. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
(a) A wicked witch costume.
(b) A mermaid costume.
(c) A Little Red Riding Hood costume.
(d) A Cinderella costume.
7. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Her younger son.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) The local pastor.
8. How many Christmas cards did Joan send during her year alone at the cottage?
(a) Three dozen.
(b) One hundred.
9. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) An alcoholic family.
(b) A musical family.
(c) An artistic family.
(d) A diabetic family.
10. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(b) She sold a magazine story.
(c) She attended drama school.
(d) She worked in the African bush.
11. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
12. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her oldest son.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her youngest son.
(d) Her older brother.
13. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
(a) Better food.
(c) An umbrella.
14. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) An equal partner.
(b) Pampered housewife.
(c) The breadwinner.
(d) Nurturer and caregiver.
15. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(b) A lonely mausoleum.
(c) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(d) A chrome and glass condominium.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
2. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
3. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
4. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
5. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)