|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(b) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
(c) Her publisher went out of business.
(d) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
2. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Catching fish.
(b) Dealing with customers.
(c) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
(d) Hauling and weighing fish.
4. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) Joan's separation from her husband.
(b) The seals in the harbor.
(c) A local murder.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
5. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
(c) Penn State.
6. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He was her editor.
(b) He worked with her husband.
(c) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
(d) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
7. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Walking her dog.
(b) Picking her daughter up from school.
(c) Going to the laundromat.
(d) Going to the post office.
8. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) An approaching holiday.
(b) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(c) A phone call from her youngest son.
(d) The young men who work at the fish market.
9. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A chrome and glass condominium.
(b) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(c) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(d) A lonely mausoleum.
10. In what kind of family was Joan's husband raised?
(a) A musical family.
(b) An alcoholic family.
(c) A diabetic family.
(d) An artistic family.
11. Where did Joan and her husband go to work for the Peace Corps in the early days of their marriage?
(b) The Philippines.
12. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(b) Orange and green.
13. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
(b) A warm house.
(c) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
(d) Christmas carolers at the front door.
14. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The book club members left town for the holidays.
(b) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(c) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
(d) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
15. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their warm layer of body fat.
(b) Their cuteness.
(c) Their swimming skills.
(d) Their home in the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
2. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
3. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
4. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
5. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)