|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) He was not coming.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
2. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
(b) Roller skating.
3. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) One week.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Eight hours.
4. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(b) Orange and green.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(b) To take a leisurely shower.
(c) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
(d) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
6. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorized wheelchair.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
7. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's older son.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) Joan's brother.
(d) Joan's younger son.
8. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
(a) A clock.
(b) A painting of a crossroads.
(c) A cross made of mesquite wood.
(d) A painting of an Indian village.
9. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
(a) As breadwinner.
(b) As Joan's protector.
(c) As an equal partner.
(d) As the victim of Joan's nagging.
10. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
(a) That she would freeze after laying in the cold, wet snow.
(b) That she had changed and become more free.
(c) That she was childish.
(d) That she was funny.
11. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
(a) Joshua Cahoon jogging.
(b) Her husband walking the dog.
(c) The neighborhood children walking to school.
(d) The sunrise.
12. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
13. Why did Joan want a job at the fish market?
(a) She wanted to work with Joshua Cahoon.
(b) She didn't want to ask her husband for money.
(c) She wanted to feel like a local woman.
(d) She had taxes to pay.
14. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(b) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
(c) Brown pants and red sweaters.
(d) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
15. What did Joan see on her front lawn as she left her house in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide?
(a) A broken bicycle.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A for sale sign.
(d) An angel statue.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
2. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
3. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
4. What is ebb tide?
5. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)