|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she and her husband were separated.
(b) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(c) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(d) That she was married to a much younger man.
2. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
(a) That she longed for a close family again.
(b) That she had been a lonely, homely child.
(c) That she fit in by being what others wanted her to be.
(d) That she didn't look like her other relatives.
3. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(c) Orange and green.
4. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Volvo.
(b) A Toyota Camry.
(c) A Chevrolet Impala.
(d) A Mercedes.
5. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
6. Why did Joan's old book club always end up canceling their December meetings?
(a) The women had no time to read during the holidays.
(b) The women were involved in the church's holiday play.
(c) Winter weather made travel too hazardous.
(d) The book club members left town for the holidays.
7. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
8. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
(a) Cape Cod.
(b) Key Biscayne.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(b) That he had cancer.
(c) That he wanted a divorce.
(d) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
10. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(d) Roman soldiers.
11. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) Most of the family's extras.
(b) Her children's education.
(c) The mortgage.
12. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their warm layer of body fat.
(b) Their cuteness.
(c) Their home in the ocean.
(d) Their swimming skills.
13. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Her younger son.
(b) Her husband.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) Joshua Cahoon.
14. What was the dress code at the fish market?
(a) Jeans or khaki pants with a tucked-in navy blue top.
(b) Black tee-shirts and overalls.
(c) White pants and black tee-shirts.
(d) Brown pants and red sweaters.
15. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
(b) He worked with her husband.
(c) He was her editor.
(d) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
2. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
3. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
4. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
5. How many children did Joan and her husband have?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)