|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
2. What is ebb tide?
(a) The time when the tide falls.
(b) The time when the tide rises.
(c) The intermediate time when the tide neither rises nor falls.
(d) The time when it floods.
3. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(b) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(c) She ran for charity.
(d) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
4. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) One mile.
5. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) A warm house.
(b) Christmas carolers at the front door.
(c) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
(d) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
6. Who did Joan ask to take her in his boat to the seal island?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) The fish market owner.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her oldest son.
7. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Picking her daughter up from school.
(b) Going to the post office.
(c) Going to the laundromat.
(d) Walking her dog.
8. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Recover from an automobile accident.
(b) Work on a book.
(c) Sell her family's cottage.
(d) Paint and sell her art work.
9. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A chrome and glass condominium.
(b) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(c) A lonely mausoleum.
(d) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
10. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Joshua Cahoon.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
11. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam alongside her.
(b) They swam away from her.
(c) They ignored her.
(d) They attacked her.
12. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
(a) Three and ten.
(b) Six and twelve.
(c) They were infants.
(d) They were grown.
13. Which of the following statements was not one of Joan's thoughts about the remark that she had everything she wanted?
(a) She did have everything she wanted.
(b) What she had was a far cry from what she really desired.
(c) Women got used to wanting only what was available.
(d) She had everything she was told she should want.
14. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
(a) Her neighbor.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) Joshua Cahoon.
(d) Her coworkers at the fish market.
15. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(b) The fish market owner's wife.
(c) A lady cop.
(d) Joan Erickson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
2. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
3. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
4. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
5. What did Joan's husband think when Joan made an angel in the snow?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)