|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) An equal partner.
(b) Nurturer and caregiver.
(c) The breadwinner.
(d) Pampered housewife.
2. What news did Joan get about her house in the city after her return from the seal island?
(a) It had been painted.
(b) It had been vandalized.
(c) It had been damaged in a fire.
(d) It had been sold.
3. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A phone call from her youngest son.
(b) The young men who work at the fish market.
(c) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(d) An approaching holiday.
4. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She attended drama school.
(b) She worked in the African bush.
(c) She sold a magazine story.
(d) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
5. Which of the following items was not something Joan brought with her when she visited the seal island?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A stale bagel.
(d) Peanut butter.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(b) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(c) To take a leisurely shower.
(d) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
7. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
(a) A Little Red Riding Hood costume.
(b) A mermaid costume.
(c) A wicked witch costume.
(d) A Cinderella costume.
8. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(c) Roman soldiers.
9. What was Joan instructed to bring for her trip to the seal island?
(a) Warm clothes and a sandwich.
(b) A camera.
(c) A bathing suit and sunscreen.
(d) A blanket, coat and gloves.
10. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(b) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(c) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
(d) Joan's old necklaces.
11. When Joan's father died, which relative angered Joan by not attending his funeral?
(a) Joan's older son.
(b) Joan's husband.
(c) Joan's younger son.
(d) Joan's brother.
12. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her younger son.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) Her husband.
13. What activity did Joan's older son and his wife share?
(a) Roller skating.
14. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(b) Her publisher went out of business.
(c) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(d) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
15. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
(a) Her youngest son.
(b) Her oldest son.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ebb tide?
2. How did Joan's husband see his primary role in their marriage?
3. How did the other patrons of Larry's PX respond when Joan entered?
4. In Chapter 5, Water Therapy, who invites Joan to have a glass of wine and talk?
5. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)