|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many races had Joan run prior to the New Year's Day race?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, which of the following was not a task Joan had to do in her job at Nickerson's Fish Market?
(a) Climbing up to the lobster tanks.
(b) Hauling and weighing fish.
(c) Catching fish.
(d) Dealing with customers.
3. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(b) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(c) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
(d) She ran for charity.
4. With what did Joan and her husband decorate their Christmas tree in Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(b) Joan's old necklaces.
(c) Old Victorian ornaments from Joan's grandmother.
(d) Garlands of popcorn and candy canes.
5. What did Joan envy about the seals?
(a) Their home in the ocean.
(b) Their cuteness.
(c) Their warm layer of body fat.
(d) Their swimming skills.
6. Who voided Joan's many mistakes at the fish market cash register?
(a) The market owner.
(b) The market owner's wife.
(c) A female coworker.
(d) Joan E.
7. What career loss did Joan suffer at the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In?
(a) Her publisher went out of business.
(b) Her editor quit & the new editor hated Joan's writing.
(c) Her agent retired, leaving her agentless.
(d) Her collaborator moved & ended their collaboration.
8. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
(a) The book she was writing.
(c) The cottage.
(d) Her life and herself.
9. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
(b) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
(c) He worked with her husband.
(d) He was her editor.
10. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) A local bar.
(b) Larry's PX.
(c) Her oldest son's house.
11. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A school.
(b) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
(c) A military store.
(d) A fishing boat.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(b) That he had cancer.
(c) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(d) That he wanted a divorce.
13. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
(b) Roman soldiers.
14. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) Joan's separation from her husband.
(b) The seals in the harbor.
(c) A local murder.
(d) The bad economy for fishing that year.
15. When did Nickerson's Fish Market close for the winter?
(a) At the end of December.
(b) At the beginning of January.
(c) At Thanksgiving.
(d) At Christmas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
2. In Chapter 4, Riptide, what did Joan get up each morning to watch?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
4. What costume Joan did Joan wear for the New Year's Day race?
5. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)