|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) One week.
2. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
(a) Martha's Vineyard.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) Key Biscayne.
3. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Four thirty.
(c) Five thirty.
(d) Six thirty.
4. What did the other patrons of Larry's PX talk about during Joan's first visit to the PX?
(a) A local murder.
(b) The bad economy for fishing that year.
(c) The seals in the harbor.
(d) Joan's separation from her husband.
5. How did Joan Erickson keep herself strong and healthy?
(a) She swam a lot.
(b) She was a vegetarian.
(c) She walked a couple of miles every day.
(d) She took vitamins every day.
6. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A motorized wheelchair.
(b) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A motorcycle.
7. Which of the following is not something for which Joan's writing money paid during her marriage?
(a) The mortgage.
(c) Her children's education.
(d) Most of the family's extras.
8. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
(a) There were no clothing stores in the town.
(b) She had gained weight and her clothes no longer fit her.
(c) She didn't have money for a party outfit.
(d) She had brought only jeans to Cape Code.
9. How old was Joan Erickson when Joan met her?
10. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They swam away from her.
(b) They ignored her.
(c) They attacked her.
(d) They swam alongside her.
11. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
(a) The breadwinner.
(b) Nurturer and caregiver.
(c) An equal partner.
(d) Pampered housewife.
12. In Chapter 3, Seal Sense Analysis, who gave Joan some clams he had dug up?
(a) Joshua Cahoon.
(b) Her younger son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The local pastor.
13. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
(a) Penn State.
14. Once Joan's husband left in Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, how did Joan react?
(a) She rejoiced.
(b) She begged him to come back.
(c) She became afraid.
(d) She cried.
15. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
(a) They met at the fish market.
(b) They met on the beach while walking in the fog.
(c) They met at a party.
(d) They met at a mutual neighbor's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ebb tide?
2. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
3. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
4. How old were Joan's children at the beginning of the book?
5. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, how many years had passed since Joan's sons had spent Christmas with her?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)