|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, why did Joan think women looked exhausted as the holidays approached?
(a) They had too much shopping to do.
(b) There was a flu epidemic and everyone had the flu.
(c) They were trying to please everyone.
(d) They had too many parties to plan.
2. Why did Joan want to enter the New Year's Day race?
(a) She had neglected her body and wanted to be more fit.
(b) She ran for charity.
(c) She wanted to prove she was still fast at her age.
(d) She ran with her new neighbors and coworkers.
3. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(b) That she was married to a much younger man.
(c) That she and her husband were separated.
(d) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
4. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
(a) Recover from an automobile accident.
(b) Paint and sell her art work.
(c) Work on a book.
(d) Sell her family's cottage.
5. How did the seals respond when Joan dove into the ocean?
(a) They ignored her.
(b) They attacked her.
(c) They swam alongside her.
(d) They swam away from her.
6. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Chevrolet Impala.
(b) A Mercedes.
(c) A Volvo.
(d) A Toyota Camry.
7. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(b) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
(c) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(d) She outran her sister.
8. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(a) The fish market owner's wife.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(c) A lady cop.
9. Because Joan entertained their guests at parties while her husband sat quietly in the corner, how did Joan's husband describe himself and his wife?
(a) Joan was Technicolor while he was black-and-white.
(b) Joan was a diamond while he was cubic zirconium.
(c) Joan was champagne while he was plain water.
(d) Joan was an extrovert while he was an introvert.
10. What made Joan miss her sons at the end of Chapter 5, Water Therapy?
(a) A football game that reminded her of her son's school days.
(b) A phone call from her youngest son.
(c) The young men who work at the fish market.
(d) An approaching holiday.
11. What did studying her old photos reveal to Joan about herself?
(a) That she had been a lonely, homely child.
(b) That she didn't look like her other relatives.
(c) That she fit in by being what others wanted her to be.
(d) That she longed for a close family again.
12. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She sold a magazine story.
(b) She attended drama school.
(c) She worked in the African bush.
(d) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
13. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A motorized wheelchair.
(d) A skateboard.
14. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) He was not coming.
(d) Two days.
15. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
(a) They wanted to make Joan's ailing mother happy.
(b) They wanted to make a show of unity for their children.
(c) Neither of them wanted to be alone.
(d) They missed each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan's father-in-law do for a living?
2. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
3. How did Joan meet her new friend, Joan Erickson.?
4. What did Joan envy about the seals?
5. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)