|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
(a) She worked in the African bush.
(b) She worked as a fashion model in New York.
(c) She attended drama school.
(d) She sold a magazine story.
2. Where would Joan go before she went to meetings with editors?
(a) Her oldest son's house.
(c) A local bar.
(d) Larry's PX.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Waves of Truth, what was Joan's morning ritual as winter approached?
(a) To sleep late and breakfast on oatmeal and toast.
(b) To rise early to watch the seagulls.
(c) To put a log on the stove and heat water for tea.
(d) To take a leisurely shower.
4. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) A boarding school in England.
(b) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(c) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(d) An orphanage.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 9, Fogged In, how long a walk does Joan begin taking each day?
(a) A two-mile walk.
(b) A half-mile walk.
(c) A four-mile walk.
(d) A one-mile walk.
6. What was Larry's PX?
(a) A fishing boat.
(b) A military store.
(c) A school.
(d) A restaurant where the local fishermen hung out.
7. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
(a) Going to the post office.
(b) Walking her dog.
(c) Going to the laundromat.
(d) Picking her daughter up from school.
8. How long was Joan left alone on Seal Island?
(a) One week.
(b) Eight hours.
(d) Two hours.
9. What is ebb tide?
(a) The time when the tide falls.
(b) The intermediate time when the tide neither rises nor falls.
(c) The time when it floods.
(d) The time when the tide rises.
10. Who honked her horn and flashed her lights and encouraged an exhausted Joan to continue the race when Joan was about to quit?
(a) A lady cop.
(b) Joan Erickson.
(d) The fish market owner's wife.
11. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(c) Orange and green.
12. How long was the town's New Year's Day race?
(a) Five miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) Two miles.
13. Which of the following items was not something Joan wished she had brought with her to the seal island?
(a) Better food.
(b) An umbrella.
14. Which of the following is not something Joan woke up to the morning after her husband's arrival for Christmas?
(a) Christmas carolers at the front door.
(b) The sound of her husband shoveling snow from the drive.
(c) A cup of fresh coffee on her bedside table.
(d) A warm house.
15. In what town did Joan and her husband live?
(a) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan envy about the seals?
2. Who told Joan she had everything she wanted for Christmas?
3. Who called Joan the evening after she returned from the seal island?
4. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
5. How soon before Christmas was Joan's husband scheduled to arrive at the cottage?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)