|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and Chapter 9, Fogged In.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Nailed a homemade wreath onto a tree.
(b) Lit kerosene lanters and candles.
(c) Cooked the family's traditional holiday food.
(d) Built a snowman.
2. Where was Joan's husband sent to live at age twelve?
(a) An Episcopalian boarding school.
(b) A boarding school in England.
(c) His grandparents' home in Kentucky.
(d) An orphanage.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he wanted a divorce.
(b) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(c) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(d) That he had cancer.
4. What color was the inside of Nickerson's Fish Market painted?
(b) Orange and green.
5. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Six thirty.
(c) Five thirty.
(d) Four thirty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Joan's relatives got multiple scholarship offers from Ivy League colleges?
2. What kind of car did Joan drive at the beginning of the book?
3. Why did Joan have trouble finding something to wear to the fish market's Christmas party?
4. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
5. What news did Joan get about her house in the city after her return from the seal island?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)