|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet, and Chapter 9, Fogged In.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following actions was not something Joan did prior to her husband's arrival for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights?
(a) Built a snowman.
(b) Cooked the family's traditional holiday food.
(c) Lit kerosene lanters and candles.
(d) Nailed a homemade wreath onto a tree.
2. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
(a) A chrome and glass condominium.
(b) An old barn that looked like Ralph Lauren designed it.
(c) An overpriced and undersized studio apartment.
(d) A lonely mausoleum.
3. What lesson did the seals teach Joan?
(a) That she needed to interact with animals more.
(b) That she needed to be in the sea more.
(c) That she needed to swim more.
(d) That she needed to live like a child again and enjoy life.
4. How did Joan meet Joshua Cahoon?
(a) He was her editor.
(b) He worked with her husband.
(c) He sat next to her at Larry's PX.
(d) He was her neighbor on Cape Cod.
5. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was a writer.
(b) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(c) Her children were grown.
(d) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did most people on the island think Joan was in town to do?
2. What wall decoration from New Mexico made Joan think she was at a crossroads in her life?
3. What news did Joan get about her house in the city after her return from the seal island?
4. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what was Joan's only daily outing for her first three weeks on the island?
5. At the church Christmas pageant that Joan and her husband attended n Chapter 7, Silent Seas, Silent Nights, what were the children dressed as instead of shepherds?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)