|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Riptide, and Chapter 5, Water Therapy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joan and her husband meet?
(c) Penn State.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, Ebb Tide, what did Joan's husband announce?
(a) That he wanted a divorce.
(b) That he had a secret son from a previous romance.
(c) That he was taking a job hundreds of miles away.
(d) That he had cancer.
3. Where was the cottage to which Joan wanted to retreat at the beginning of the book?
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) Key Biscayne.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
4. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(b) Her children were grown.
(c) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(d) She was a writer.
5. During her stay at the cottage, what fact did Joan not reveal to her neighbors and coworkers about her marriage?
(a) That she and her husband were separated.
(b) That it was a sham and she was not truly married.
(c) That she was married to a man who had been in prison.
(d) That she was married to a much younger man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ebb tide?
2. In Chapter 2, The Call of the Seal, what time do the birds begin chattering in the morning at Joan's cottage?
3. In Chapter 4, Riptide, with what did Joan think she needed to fall in love?
4. What did Joan think her role in her marriage would be?
5. What did Joan envy about the seals?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)