|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, Seal Woman, and Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hazel's marital state?
(a) She was divorced.
(b) She was widowed.
(c) She was married.
(d) She was single and had never been married.
2. What was Joan Erickson looking into getting instead of a car to transport herself around town?
(a) A skateboard.
(b) A golf cart or three-wheel bicycle.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) A motorized wheelchair.
3. In Chapter 11, Ebb and Flow, what forced Joan to end her solitude?
(a) Her husband got ill and needed her.
(b) Her mother got ill and needed her.
(c) Her son's wife was pregnant and needed her help.
(d) A procession of visitors to her cottage.
4. What victory did Joan think she had won when she reached the finish line of the race?
(a) She showed her husband she could do new things.
(b) She had entered a new phase of her life.
(c) She proved a middle-aged woman could run fast.
(d) She outran her sister.
5. Why did Joan think she was better off than the rich local women who bought fish from her in the market?
(a) She was free while they had to live by their husbands' rules.
(b) She was useful in a job, unlike them.
(c) She was a writer.
(d) Her children were grown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan and her husband decide to spend Christmas together during their separation year?
2. Which of the following was not something that Joan achieved in her early twenties?
3. Who was Hazel?
4. What number did Joan wear in the town's New Year's Day race in Chapter 8, Getting My Feet Wet?
5. How did Joan's husband describe the home he lived in while Joan occupied their Cape Cod cottage?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)