|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually gets Meg through the object containing her father and able to get to him?
2. Why does Mr. Murry hand Mrs. Who's glasses back to Meg in Chapter 11?
3. At first, Meg cannot get enough of the Beasts' delicious food, but she loses her appetite when her father says ____________________________.
4. What does Meg give her father in Chapter 9 when she realizes what is wrong with him upon their being reunited?
5. When Meg is reunited with her father at the Beasts' dining table, why does she feel distant from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Meg comes to in Chapter 10, she doesn't know where she is and she can't move. What has happened to her after tessering from Camazotz?
2. Calvin says that if three of the Beasts arrived on his planet, he would shoot them. What does that say about his beliefs?
3. Who does Aunt Beast resemble?
4. Describe IT and your first reaction to reading what IT actually is.
5. Describe Mr. Murry when the children see him in Chapter 9.
6. What does Meg say she understands when she agrees to go on her own to rescue Charles Wallace?
7. What does Mr. Murry tell Calvin about his experience in Camazotz that leads Meg to doubt her father?
8. Describe Meg's reaction to the Beast who first touches her cheek with its tentacle.
9. How does the hypnotized Charles Wallace describe Camazotz?
10. In Chapter 10, what disappoints Meg most about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Sandy and Dennis as normal boys. Analyze how these boys (older than Charles Wallace but younger than Meg) appear more like the norm for young boys. Main points include (1) they are average students, (2) they are interested in sports and know Calvin for his ball playing ability, and (3) they are critical of Meg and Charles Wallace because they are different.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay using at least three of Mrs. Who's quotes as main points. Write down the quote and its translation as given by Mrs. Who and then explain what the quote means in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the teenage years in a young person's life, discuss the self-loathing Meg goes through. Is she really different from most other pre-adolescent girls? Compare Meg and Calvin to discuss whether growing up is more difficult for a girl than for a boy.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)