|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meg react when the Happy Medium shows her mother in the crystal ball?
2. Why is school "all wrong" for Meg in Chapter 1?
3. What does Charles Wallace offer to make in the kitchen?
4. During the tesseract, the children nearly stop somewhere before a voice says they can't because _____________________________.
5. What does the individual that the children meet in the haunted house in Chapter 2 call Charles Wallace and Meg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the image of Calvin's mother make the Happy Medium react in a negative way?
2. How would you explain the reason(s) for Meg's anger?
3. Why is Meg so perturbed that Charles Wallace and Mrs. Murry are so quick to welcome Mrs. Whatsit into their home?
4. Initially, Charles and Meg are suspicious of Calvin. What makes them warm up to him?
5. When Meg and Calvin talk about Meg's missing father, at one point she says she wishes she were a different person because she hates herself. Do you think she wishes she were more like her mother?
6. Why does Meg sob heavily when she discovers her father is probably behind the Dark Thing?
7. Do you think the family's worries about how Charles Wallace will fit into school next year when he starts are warranted?
8. Do you think Meg reacts too strongly to Charles' and Mrs. Who's talk about her father in Chapter 2?
9. Why is it important to know that Mrs. Whatsit is over two million years old?
10. How would you define the tesseract?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of gossip in the novel. The main points of your essay should include (1) how gossip starts like it does from the post office in the novel, (2) how gossip hurts innocent people as it does for Meg, and (3) how it is best to deal with gossip as Mrs. Murry handles it.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on mysteries of the universe. As your three main points, discuss recent findings of planets revolving around other stars, discovery of galaxies never before known to exist, and important scientific discoveries such as finding water on the moon. Conclude your essay with how these mysteries become fertile ground for science fiction writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of A Wrinkle In Time pointing out what you consider its strong points and its weaknesses. Consider writing style, vocabulary, use of metaphor and foreshadowing. Conclude with your recommendation for reading the novel.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)