|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Sandy and Dennys upset that they weren't awakened when the "tramp" was in the house?
2. Where does Charles Wallace say Mrs. Whatsit lives with her two friends?
3. Why does Dennys believe that Charles Wallace will have a hard time in school next year?
4. What does Mrs. Whatsit say in Chapter 1 that makes Mrs. Murry's face turn white?
5. How old does Mrs. Whatsit say she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the principal acts professionally in his office when he scolds Meg and suggests that her father won't return?
2. When Meg and Calvin talk about Meg's missing father, at one point she says she wishes she were a different person because she hates herself. Do you think she wishes she were more like her mother?
3. Is it a good idea to bring the children to Uriel before traveling to the next planet?
4. Initially, Charles and Meg are suspicious of Calvin. What makes them warm up to him?
5. Why is it important to know that Mrs. Whatsit is over two million years old?
6. Why do the children need the flowers during the flight with Mrs. Whatsit?
7. What was Mrs Whatsit and what did she do before she became who she is now?
8. What's the first thing the children notice about Camazotz that indicates it's a strange place?
9. What upsets Charles Wallace and Meg about finding Calvin at the haunted house?
10. What does Mrs. Whatsit give to each of the children before they part on Camazotz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how things are so in fantasy fiction if the author says they are so. Find at least three things in the novel that the reader accepts as true because the author says they are. Be specific with your examples, giving lines from the novel to back up your contention.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Charles Wallace, being sure to address the fact that he is a savant, as well as the implied connection between Charles and Calvin. Be sure to also define how his character is essential to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three extraterrestrial women in the novel with the three witches in Shakespeare's Macbeth. What is the purpose of the witches in Shakespeare's play? Do the three strange women in the novel serve a similar function? Explain your answer giving clear examples.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)