|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the strange feeling that Calvin has before they go to CENTRAL Central Intelligence?
2. Why does Mrs. Whatsit tell Meg not to cry after seeing the dark shadow?
3. What does Calvin read to Charles Wallace before putting him to bed in Chapter 3?
4. During the tesseract, the children nearly stop somewhere before a voice says they can't because _____________________________.
5. Through Charles Wallace, readers discover that Mrs. Whatsit took something from Mrs. Buncombe. What did she take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dark shadow's power over the children after they see it.
2. How would you define the tesseract?
3. Is Charles Wallace a little too protective of Meg? Does he keep her from growing up?
4. As Charles Wallace and Meg head into the woods to the haunted house, several things happen between these two siblings that show their closeness. Name one thing that happens and how it demonstrates their close bond.
5. Do you think Meg reacts too strongly to Charles' and Mrs. Who's talk about her father in Chapter 2?
6. How does seeing her planet from a distance covered in a black haze help Meg better understand her home?
7. Do you think the principal acts professionally in his office when he scolds Meg and suggests that her father won't return?
8. What does Mrs. Whatsit give to each of the children before they part on Camazotz?
9. How does Mrs. Whatsit use the example of an insect traveling across a piece of string to explain how she and the other women "tesser?"
10. Is it a good idea to bring the children to Uriel before traveling to the next planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depict the moral message of A Wrinkle in Time. Define the message or messages you think L'Engle is trying to get across and cite specific passages to back up your opinion. Evaluate the strength of moral messages in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think L'Engle used the term 'tesseract' in her novel? Consider: (1) the exotic nature of the geometric tesseract, (2) the little known vocabulary word, (3) the sense of being scientific the term gives to the novel, and (4) the illusion presented by a rotating tesseract.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on knowing happiness by knowing sorrow. Is it possible to know what real happiness is when there is no deviation from set patterns in life? The people of Camazotz never show any sign of happiness. Discuss the emotion the people of Camazotz do show, and what it is the result of. How do you think L'Engle is commenting on communism as a controlled way of life? Why do some people in your opinion prefer living under such a system?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)