|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Meg sees the dark thing, who is she most concerned for?
2. As the children fly up in Chapter 4, why does Meg look at Charles Wallace with a bit of sadness?
3. After Mrs. Whatsit metamorphoses, what do the children call her?
4. How many children are bouncing balls out of rhythm in Camazotz?
5. Why does Calvin come to the house in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Charles Wallace a little too protective of Meg? Does he keep her from growing up?
2. Why is it important to know that Mrs. Whatsit is over two million years old?
3. Do you think the family's worries about how Charles Wallace will fit into school next year when he starts are warranted?
4. How would you define the tesseract?
5. Describe the dark shadow's power over the children after they see it.
6. Why do you think Mrs. Whatsit gives Charles Wallace the "resilience of your childhood"?
7. When the Happy Medium shows Meg her mother, she reacts with anger. Why might this reaction be a good thing this time?
8. When Meg and Calvin talk about Meg's missing father, at one point she says she wishes she were a different person because she hates herself. Do you think she wishes she were more like her mother?
9. How does Mrs. Whatsit use the example of an insect traveling across a piece of string to explain how she and the other women "tesser?"
10. Do you think the principal acts professionally in his office when he scolds Meg and suggests that her father won't return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on mysteries of the universe. As your three main points, discuss recent findings of planets revolving around other stars, discovery of galaxies never before known to exist, and important scientific discoveries such as finding water on the moon. Conclude your essay with how these mysteries become fertile ground for science fiction writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on knowing happiness by knowing sorrow. Is it possible to know what real happiness is when there is no deviation from set patterns in life? The people of Camazotz never show any sign of happiness. Discuss the emotion the people of Camazotz do show, and what it is the result of. How do you think L'Engle is commenting on communism as a controlled way of life? Why do some people in your opinion prefer living under such a system?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of A Wrinkle In Time pointing out what you consider its strong points and its weaknesses. Consider writing style, vocabulary, use of metaphor and foreshadowing. Conclude with your recommendation for reading the novel.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)