|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Calvin, Meg, and Charles Wallace see at the end of the room filled with machines in the CENTRAL Central Intelligence building?
(a) A platform made to look like a boxing ring.
(b) A platform with a chair, and a man.
(c) A platform with ballerinas dancing to music.
(d) A platform with just a chair on it and nothing else.
2. In Chapter 11, Calvin urges Meg to try explaining to everyone who Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which are, but when Meg tries, she fumbles. Why?
(a) She can't remember what each woman looks like.
(b) She realizes that she liked Mrs. Whatsit the most.
(c) Since her paralysis, she has forgotten many words.
(d) She only describes the women's appearances.
3. In Chapter 11, when Mr. Murry demands the Beasts put Meg down, who do they ask to speak with?
(b) Mrs. Murry.
4. What sense do the Beasts not have that surprises Meg?
5. What does the Man with Red Eyes say when Calvin accuses him of hypnotizing Charles Wallace?
(a) He calls Charles's state of mind sweet and kind.
(b) He completely agrees Charles is hypnotized.
(c) He thinks hypnotized is a primitive way of describing it.
(d) The Man with Red Eyes says nothing at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the children reach Mr. Murry in Chapter 8, who does Charles Wallace show them?
2. What is the reminder Mrs. Whatsit says about Camazotz that pains Meg?
3. What does Calvin attempt with Charles Wallace in Chapter 8 that nearly costs him and Meg to lose their chance to get to Mr. Murry?
4. Despite escaping IT with her father, why does Meg feel things have gotten worse and worse?
5. What eventually gets Meg through the object containing her father and able to get to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate the message Mrs. Which gives Meg when she lands for the second time on Camazotz.
2. Describe Mr. Murry when the children see him in Chapter 9.
3. The Beasts have a much smaller vocabulary than the humans, yet they are very capable of communicating well. Why is that?
4. Describe IT and your first reaction to reading what IT actually is.
5. Who does Aunt Beast resemble?
6. Other than being forced, is there another reason that makes Meg follow Charles Wallace when he says he'll lead them to their father?
7. In Chapter 10, what disappoints Meg most about her father?
8. Do you think it's dawning on Meg at all by Chapter 11 that she might end up rescuing her little brother on her own?
9. Meg goes from a baby having a tantrum to a somewhat-mature young woman in a flash when she suddenly decides to go alone to rescue Charles Wallace. Is this turn-around too quick?
10. Meg and Calvin accuse the Man with Red Eyes of hypnotizing Charles Wallace. The Man with Red Eyes says that's a "primitive" way of describing what he's done. How would you describe it?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)