|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Whatsit, how long has the Dark Thing been darkening the beauty of the earth?
(a) Less than one year.
(b) About one year.
(c) A couple of years.
(d) A good many years.
2. What worries Charles Wallace about going to school next year?
(a) He thinks he'll be bored to death
(b) He thinks he knows nothing.
(c) He thinks it will be hard to fit in.
(d) He thinks that if he plays dumb, he'll become dumb.
3. Who is Fortinbras?
(a) Meg's father.
(b) The Constable.
(c) The mailman.
(d) The Murry family dog.
4. When Meg enters the kitchen at the beginning of the book, who is already there?
(a) Sandy and Dennys.
(b) Mrs. Murry.
(c) Mrs. Buncombe, the constable's wife.
(d) Charles Wallace.
5. As the children fly up in Chapter 4, why does Meg look at Charles Wallace with a bit of sadness?
(a) She feels he's growing away from her.
(b) She realizes that he's smarter than she.
(c) She thinks he's being mean to her.
(d) She thinks he's a secret spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Wallace and Mrs. Murry offer food to Mrs. Whatsit. She expresses a fondness for what?
2. What does Calvin call Charles Wallace in Chapter 2?
3. When Meg realizes she's hungry and hasn't had much to eat since the stew at home, what does Charles Wallace reveal about the three old ladies and their eating habits?
4. When Meg first sees Mrs. Whatsit in Chapter 1, how is she dressed?
5. What happens in Chapter 4 when Meg suddenly finds herself alone in darkness and has no sense of where she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it a good idea to bring the children to Uriel before traveling to the next planet?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Whatsit gives Charles Wallace the "resilience of your childhood"?
3. How would you explain the reason(s) for Meg's anger?
4. How does Calvin's personal life form him?
5. Why is Meg so perturbed that Charles Wallace and Mrs. Murry are so quick to welcome Mrs. Whatsit into their home?
6. Why does the image of Calvin's mother make the Happy Medium react in a negative way?
7. Why does Meg sob heavily when she discovers her father is probably behind the Dark Thing?
8. Describe the dark shadow's power over the children after they see it.
9. Mrs. Whatsit says that when they return back to earth, Mrs. Murry won't notice that they were gone at all. Why?
10. Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who continue to elaborate about the fight against the Black Thing by naming other fighters. Who are some of those fighters, and what does it say about the Black Thing?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)