|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charles Wallace say Mrs. Whatsit lives with her two friends?
(a) In a large building in the neighboring town.
(b) In the old shingled house in the back of the woods.
(c) In the old shingled house across the street.
(d) In the house around the corner from theirs.
2. What does the Happy Medium live in?
(a) On the top of a remote mountain.
(b) A cave.
(c) A secret bunker.
(d) A victorian style house.
3. During the tesseract, the children nearly stop somewhere before a voice says they can't because _____________________________.
(a) They've accidentally bounced back to earth.
(b) It's a two-dimensional planet where they can't materialize.
(c) It's a planet so evil that it will destroy the children.
(d) It's a planet whose dimensions they don't know.
4. What does Calvin read to Charles Wallace before putting him to bed in Chapter 3?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The New Testament.
5. Charles Wallace and Mrs. Murry offer food to Mrs. Whatsit. She expresses a fondness for what?
(b) Russian caviar.
(c) Marshmallows and cocoa.
(d) Bread and jam.
6. In Chapter 5, when does Mrs. Whatsit say the children will return home?
(a) In a few days unless something goes wrong.
(b) About five minutes before they left.
(c) With any luck, in five weeks.
(d) Unless something goes wrong, in one year.
7. What does Mrs. Whatsit give to Charles Wallace before they part ways in Chapter 6?
(a) A sword and a Bible.
(b) A blessing and some private words of advice.
(c) The resilience of his childhood.
(d) A slingshot.
8. After Meg sees the dark thing, who is she most concerned for?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Charles Wallace.
9. Who are the children and the ladies going to visit in Chapter 5?
(a) A very old cranky woman.
(b) Mrs. Who's parents.
(c) A wise old man.
(d) The Happy Medium.
10. When Meg first sees Mrs. Whatsit in Chapter 1, how is she dressed?
(a) Bundled up in scarves from head to toe.
(b) Bundles up in men's clothing.
(c) Bundled up with several scarves tied over her head.
(d) Bundled up in soft, warm clothes and a pretty hat on.
11. Why does Calvin come to the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Because he's avoiding his family.
(b) Because his family kicked him out of their house.
(c) Because he's homeless and looking for shelter.
(d) Because he thought it would be neat to live on his own.
12. What do the children see when they look into the Happy Medium's ball?
(a) They see Uriel not their planet.
(b) They see their planet as it is in photographs.
(c) They see only the oceans.
(d) They see their planet covered with the Dark Thing.
13. What is the individual that the children meet in the haunted house in Chapter 2 wearing and doing?
(a) She's wearing a black suit and is reading a book.
(b) She's wearing thick glasses and is sewing.
(c) She's wearing a witch's costume and is sewing.
(d) She's wearing sunglasses and is knitting.
14. Who do the children meet when they enter the haunted house in Chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Murry.
(b) Mrs. Whatsit.
(c) Mrs. Who.
(d) Mr. Jenkins.
15. What does school principal Jenkins call Meg when he scolds her in his office?
(a) The most belligerent, uncooperative child in school.
(b) The most intelligent and cooperative child in school.
(c) The most beautiful and brilliant child in school.
(d) The most bizarre and frightening child in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles Wallace offer to make in the kitchen?
2. According to Mrs. Whatsit, how long has the Dark Thing been darkening the beauty of the earth?
3. When Charles Wallace, Meg, and Calvin enter town on Camazotz, what do they think is odd about the children?
4. When Meg enters the kitchen at the beginning of the book, who is already there?
5. What impresses the twins about Calvin more than Meg?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)