|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Sandy and Dennys upset that they weren't awakened when the "tramp" was in the house?
(a) Because they wanted to join the fun.
(b) They wanted to retrieve Mrs. Buncombe's sheets.
(c) They wanted to report the tramp to the police.
(d) Because they wanted to protect their mother and family.
2. Why does the Happy Medium feel embarrassed when she shows Calvin's mother in her crystal ball?
(a) Because she's messy, ugly and yells at her children.
(b) Because she curses between every word.
(c) Because she's not wearing any clothing.
(d) She's so beautiful that she worries Meg will be jealous.
3. In Chapter 5, where does Mrs. Whatsit say Meg's father is?
(a) On a rocket that has landed on an unnamed planet.
(b) On a planet that has only two dimensions.
(c) On a planet that the Happy Medium will show them.
(d) On a planet that has given in.
4. What does Calvin call Charles Wallace in Chapter 2?
(a) Charles Wallace.
(c) Little one.
5. What explanation does Mrs. Whatsit give for stopping on the planet they do in Chapter 4?
(a) For everyone to catch his breath before going on.
(b) To use the restroom.
(c) To look at the pretty and unusual flowers.
(d) To decide whether they should all continue the journey.
6. What is the example Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who utilize to illustrate how tessering works?
(a) An ant crawling on the stem of a flower.
(b) An insect on a string.
(c) A bee flying from flower to flower.
(d) An ant scurrying into a hole in the ground.
7. According to Mrs. Whatsit, how long has the Dark Thing been darkening the beauty of the earth?
(a) A couple of years.
(b) Less than one year.
(c) About one year.
(d) A good many years.
8. How old is Calvin?
9. Before dinner is served in Chapter 3, Mrs. Murry tells Meg to do what?
(a) Take out the garbage.
(b) Finish her homework.
(c) Clean the house.
(d) Write in her journal.
10. Why does Dennys believe that Charles Wallace will have a hard time in school next year?
(a) Charles Wallace can walk but cannot talk.
(b) Because people are used to thinking he's dumb.
(c) Because Charles Wallace is so handsome.
(d) Charles Wallace has two names instead of one.
11. Where does Charles Wallace say Mrs. Whatsit lives with her two friends?
(a) In a large building in the neighboring town.
(b) In the old shingled house in the back of the woods.
(c) In the house around the corner from theirs.
(d) In the old shingled house across the street.
12. How could Mrs. Who's manner of speech be described?
(a) She speaks in quotes, sometimes in other languages.
(b) She speaks in quotes then forgets what she has said.
(c) She lisps very heavily.
(d) She can only speak in Shakespearan sonnet form.
13. Through Charles Wallace, readers discover that Mrs. Whatsit took something from Mrs. Buncombe. What did she take?
(a) Baking pans.
14. During the tesseract, the children nearly stop somewhere before a voice says they can't because _____________________________.
(a) They've accidentally bounced back to earth.
(b) It's a planet whose dimensions they don't know.
(c) It's a two-dimensional planet where they can't materialize.
(d) It's a planet so evil that it will destroy the children.
15. Why does Mrs. Whatsit give each child a flower for the journey?
(a) The flowers will give them the oxygen they will need.
(b) Because the flowers have magical qualities.
(c) So that they will look nice during their journey.
(d) The flowers smell nice at high altitudes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Meg bored in math class?
2. Seeing the picture of Meg's father, who does Calvin say he looks like?
3. What does Calvin do in Chapter 4 that Mrs. Whatsit tells him never to do in her presence?
4. Just as Calvin tells Meg she has "dream-boat eyes," who appears from out of nowhere?
5. What does Mrs. Who tell Meg she must learn in order to help her father?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)