|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dennys believe that Charles Wallace will have a hard time in school next year?
(a) Charles Wallace has two names instead of one.
(b) Charles Wallace can walk but cannot talk.
(c) Because people are used to thinking he's dumb.
(d) Because Charles Wallace is so handsome.
2. What does Calvin say to Meg on their way to her house in Chapter 3?
(a) He's happy to know that the rumors about Meg are true.
(b) He's happy they will never meet again after today.
(c) He's happy they met and thinks they'll become friends.
(d) He's happy they met but won't be good friends.
3. How does Meg react when the Happy Medium shows her mother in the crystal ball?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She can't stop crying.
(c) She gloats because her mother is so beautiful.
(d) At first she cries, then resolves to find her father.
4. How old is Calvin?
5. Why does Meg look at her mother with a mixture of admiration and resentment in Chapter 1?
(a) Her mother works at home and always looks fresh.
(b) Her mother is beautiful and speaks fluent French.
(c) Her mother is pretty and every man wants to marry her.
(d) Her mother is a kind and beautiful woman, as well as a brilliant scientist.
6. When Meg slides off Mrs. Whatsit's back in Chapter 4, what does she ask Mrs. Which about the dark shadow?
(a) "Is that what my father is fighting?"
(b) "What is that dark thing called?"
(c) "Is my father's research going to eliminate the dark thing? "
(d) "Is that dark thing a new weather pattern?"
7. Along the way, Meg hears some birds who seem to be telling her something. Who translates their words for her?
(a) Mrs. Whatsit.
(b) Charles Wallace.
(d) A strange voice in the ether.
8. Whose vegetable garden do Meg and Calvin walk through in Chapter 3?
(a) The Twins' vegetable garden.
(b) Meg's vegetable garden.
(c) Charles Wallace's vegetable garden.
(d) The neighbors' vegetable garden.
9. Who accompanies Meg on the flight to see the Black Thing?
(a) Charles Wallace and Mrs. Whatsit.
(b) Calvin and Mrs. Whatsit.
(c) Charles Wallace, Calvin, and Mrs. Whatsit.
(d) Charles Wallace, Calvin, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Whatsit.
10. When Charles Wallace, Meg, and Calvin enter town on Camazotz, what do they think is odd about the children?
(a) They aren't children but small adults.
(b) They hold skip ropes and balls but aren't play with them.
(c) They speak a strange language.
(d) They are all skipping rope and bouncing balls in rhythm.
11. What worries Charles Wallace about going to school next year?
(a) He thinks he knows nothing.
(b) He thinks that if he plays dumb, he'll become dumb.
(c) He thinks it will be hard to fit in.
(d) He thinks he'll be bored to death
12. After Mrs. Whatsit metamorphoses, what do the children call her?
(a) Mrs. Whatsit.
(b) Mrs. W.
(c) Mrs. Flying Unicorn.
(d) Beautiful Lady.
13. When Meg enters the kitchen at the beginning of the book, who is already there?
(a) Mrs. Murry.
(b) Charles Wallace.
(c) Mrs. Buncombe, the constable's wife.
(d) Sandy and Dennys.
14. During the tesseract, the children nearly stop somewhere before a voice says they can't because _____________________________.
(a) It's a planet whose dimensions they don't know.
(b) It's a planet so evil that it will destroy the children.
(c) They've accidentally bounced back to earth.
(d) It's a two-dimensional planet where they can't materialize.
15. In Chapter 5, when does Mrs. Whatsit say the children will return home?
(a) In a few days unless something goes wrong.
(b) With any luck, in five weeks.
(c) About five minutes before they left.
(d) Unless something goes wrong, in one year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Happy Medium first show in her crystal ball?
2. When Calvin goes to a house to return the ball that a little boy dropped on the street, the boy's mother is reluctant to let him in because ____________________.
3. What does Mrs. Whatsit call Mrs. Murry that "one wouldn't ordinarily think of calling Mrs. Murry?"
4. Why does Charles Wallace insist they go and see Mrs. Whatsit in Chapter 2?
5. How does the author describe Calvin O'Keefe when Meg and Charles Wallace first meet him?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)