|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the example Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who utilize to illustrate how tessering works?
(a) An ant crawling on the stem of a flower.
(b) An insect on a string.
(c) An ant scurrying into a hole in the ground.
(d) A bee flying from flower to flower.
2. How does the author describe Calvin O'Keefe when Meg and Charles Wallace first meet him?
(a) Tall, with black hair, pale skin and blue eyes.
(b) Short with black hair and blue eyes.
(c) Tall and blond.
(d) Tall, with orange hair, freckles, and blue eyes.
3. Meg asks her mother to tell her more about the tesseract in Chapter 3, but what does Mrs. Murry tell her instead?
(a) Walk to the supermarket and pick up some milk.
(b) Walk to the library and research it herself.
(c) To forget about it; it was nothing after all.
(d) Go for a walk with Calvin.
4. As the children fly up in Chapter 4, why does Meg look at Charles Wallace with a bit of sadness?
(a) She thinks he's being mean to her.
(b) She thinks he's a secret spy.
(c) She feels he's growing away from her.
(d) She realizes that he's smarter than she.
5. What impresses the twins about Calvin more than Meg?
(a) His appetite for stew and jell-o.
(b) His height.
(c) His red hair.
(d) His athletic record.
6. What prompted Calvin to go to the haunted house?
(a) He got lost on his way home.
(b) Someone told Calvin that he would find a treasure there.
(c) A school assignment.
(d) A compulsion that he simply needed to go there.
7. Why does Mrs. Whatsit tell Meg not to cry after seeing the dark shadow?
(a) Mrs. Whatsit is confident that Meg can help her father.
(b) Mrs. Whatsit doesn't understand why the dark shadow frightens Meg.
(c) Mrs. Whatsit thinks crying is pointless.
(d) Mrs. Whatsit thinks Meg's being silly.
8. Who are the children and the ladies going to visit in Chapter 5?
(a) A wise old man.
(b) A very old cranky woman.
(c) Mrs. Who's parents.
(d) The Happy Medium.
9. on what planet have the children landed in Chapter 4?
(a) On an obscure planet whose identity no one knows because it's just a pit-stop.
(b) Ariel, the planet where everything is clean because stars shine on it.
(c) Uriel, the third planet of the star Malak in the spiral nebula Messier 101.
(d) Orion, the planet where the stars are very close together all the time.
10. When Charles Wallace, Meg, and Calvin enter town on Camazotz, what do they think is odd about the children?
(a) They are all skipping rope and bouncing balls in rhythm.
(b) They aren't children but small adults.
(c) They speak a strange language.
(d) They hold skip ropes and balls but aren't play with them.
11. What does the Happy Medium first show in her crystal ball?
(d) The sun.
12. When Meg finally joins Charles Wallace and Calvin in Chapter 4, what does she first notice about her surroundings?
(a) She's in an ugly, neglected, and scary looking field.
(b) She's in a beautiful sunlit field on a fine spring day.
(c) She's in a field with exotic animals.
(d) She's in a place that's identical to the one she left.
13. What does Calvin say to Meg on their way to her house in Chapter 3?
(a) He's happy they met and thinks they'll become friends.
(b) He's happy to know that the rumors about Meg are true.
(c) He's happy they met but won't be good friends.
(d) He's happy they will never meet again after today.
14. According to the Route Boy, what is in this most oriented city on the planet?
(a) The largest shopping center in the universe.
(c) A crime syndicate that rules the planets.
(d) An intelligence center that prevents crimes from ever happening,
15. How does Meg react when the Happy Medium shows her mother in the crystal ball?
(a) She can't stop crying.
(b) She has no reaction.
(c) At first she cries, then resolves to find her father.
(d) She gloats because her mother is so beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does school principal Jenkins call Meg when he scolds her in his office?
2. How does Meg feel when she notices the dark shadow?
3. After Mrs. Whatsit metamorphoses, what do the children call her?
4. How did Mrs. Whatsit know where Charles Wallace lived?
5. Why isn't Charles Wallace scared or suspicious of Mrs. Who when he meets her?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)