|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bessie first get published?
2. In "Despite broken bondage . . .," in the old days a woman was only regarded as sacred if she what?
(a) Knew her place.
(b) Owned cattle.
(c) Was a virgin.
(d) Was an elder.
3. How many major tribes are there in Botswana?
4. What did the British bring to South Africa, which aided women as food producers?
(d) Iron hand-plough.
5. In "Notes on novels," how is pre-colonial invasion South Africa described?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
2. According to Bessie in "Despite broken bondage . . .," what do men in Botswana mostly do?
3. What did Bessie feel defeated her in South Africa as a writer?
4. Who is the main character in Bessie's first novel, "When Rain Clouds Gather"?
5. In 1968, where was Bessie told that South African literature wasn't very popular?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)