|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what person made Bessie's natural hatred of the white man ebb?
(a) The American woman.
(c) Cambridge volunteer.
(d) A child.
2. What was the name of the conquered tribe in Botswana?
3. Bessie feels that the main function of a writer is to communicate what?
(a) One's passion.
(b) True life.
(d) A sense of wonder.
4. What writer does Bessie quote in "Social and political pressures . . ."?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
5. Bessie states that Botswana men do not care about what?
(b) Their pride.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie says that people in Botswana lead very what lives?
2. In 1968, where was Bessie told that South African literature wasn't very popular?
3. How many cattle died in the major drought in Botswana?
4. Bogadi marriages are arranged to retain what?
5. In her research for her novel, "Maru," Bessie worked right at the roots of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why according to Bessie has Botswana survived by "sheer luck and unexpected good fortune"?
2. In "God and The Underdog," what does Bessie feel fuels revolutions?
3. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
4. In "A Note on Rain Clouds," what does Bessie state is thwarting young, idealistic, black men and their ideals?
5. How is Bessie's hatred of the white man lessened in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Bessie think of the American woman as some sort of goddess?
7. Why was it so difficult for Bessie to deal with South Africa creatively?
8. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
9. In "Despite Broken Bondage . . .," how were women treated in Africa before independence?
10. How does Bessie describe the world that a black South African is born into?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)