|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter2, how does Bessie describe her third novel, "A Question of Power"?
(a) A work of excruciating detail.
(b) Intensely personal and private.
(c) The most satisfying.
(d) Difficult to write.
2. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
(d) Mutual cooperation.
3. Bessie says that people in Botswana lead very what lives?
4. Josef Herman, the artist who lived through the Nazi invasion of Poland, fled to what country?
(c) United States.
5. In Chapter 2, what did the British go to Rhodesia to find?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Bessie believes that God is embodied in whom?
2. In "A Question of Power," Bessie states that what can lead a people or a nation into a terrible abyss of destruction?
3. In Chapter 2, whose religious ideas hold great appeal for Bessie?
4. In "African religions," why did Bessie say that most of Asia was blanked out as barbaric in her school's geography book?
5. How did the British refer to Botswana in the early 1800's?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Despite Broken Bondage . . .," how were women treated in Africa before independence?
2. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
3. In Chapter 2, why is the friendship between Bessie and the American woman painful?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
5. In what ways did emancipation slowly make it's way to Botswana?
6. In "Notes on Novels," why is Bessie having difficulty writing about her years in South Africa?
7. How does Bessie describe the world that a black South African is born into?
8. Why does Bessie think of the American woman as some sort of goddess?
9. What was Bessie's life like during the two years that she lived in the refugee community in northern Botswana?
10. In "Social and Political Pressures . . . ," what astonished Bessie about the book "One Hundred Years of Solitude"?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)