|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what did the British go to Rhodesia to find?
2. Which of Bessie's novels is the only one that truly reflects a black South African viewpoint?
(b) A Question of Power.
(c) When Rain Clouds Gather.
3. What was the name of the conquered tribe in Botswana?
4. How did the British refer to Botswana in the early 1800's?
(a) Desert full of blacks.
(b) God-awful country to live in.
(c) Hell on earth.
(d) Barren land of heathens.
5. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
(b) Mutual cooperation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "African religions," why did Bessie say that most of Asia was blanked out as barbaric in her school's geography book?
2. Bessie feels that the main function of a writer is to communicate what?
3. Bessie states that one day all nations shall dwell under what shadow?
4. In Chapter 2, whose religious ideas hold great appeal for Bessie?
5. In "God and the underdog," why does Bessie say the Klansmen make God a white man with blue eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Social and Political Pressures . . . ," what astonished Bessie about the book "One Hundred Years of Solitude"?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
3. What is Bessie's opinion of Botswana men?
4. Why was it so difficult for Bessie to deal with South Africa creatively?
5. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
6. In "African Religions," what does Bessie state is at the root of religion in Africa?
7. In what ways did emancipation slowly make it's way to Botswana?
8. What was Bessie's life like during the two years that she lived in the refugee community in northern Botswana?
9. Why does Bessie consider Botswana the "most unique and distinguished country in Africa"?
10. When Bessie arrived in Botswana in 1964, what were the major differences that she noticed between that country and South Africa?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)