|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "African religions," Bessie states that African religion doesn't receive value because they don't have what?
(a) Money for recruiting followers.
(b) Large congregations.
(c) Ornate houses of worship.
(d) Deity figurines to worship.
2. In old African custom, what were women forbidden to handle?
3. What is the meaning of "didactic" works?
(a) Historical, yet fiction.
(b) Pre-planned conclusions and principles.
(c) Geographical works.
(d) Dealing with African culture.
4. What does Bessie attribute her bad habits and violent nature to?
(a) Mental instability.
(c) How she grew up.
(d) Fellow refugees.
5. What was Bessie suffering from when she was trying to forge a friendship with the American woman?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(c) Mental troubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
2. In Chapter 2, what did the British go to Rhodesia to find?
3. Who is the main character in Bessie's first novel, "When Rain Clouds Gather"?
4. Bessie views the author, Pasternak, as the liberator of what?
5. According to Bessie, revolutionary movements are composed of people living with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
3. Why does Bessie think of the American woman as some sort of goddess?
4. In "God and The Underdog," what does Bessie feel fuels revolutions?
5. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
6. In "Notes on Novels," why is Bessie having difficulty writing about her years in South Africa?
7. Why was Bessie able to write in Botswana rather than South Africa?
8. What is Bessie's opinion of Botswana men?
9. In "Despite Broken Bondage . . .," how were women treated in Africa before independence?
10. In Chapter 2, why is the friendship between Bessie and the American woman painful?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)