|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the old British Bechuanaland Protectorate established in Botswana?
2. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that the South African blacks have been stripped bare of what?
(a) All personal integrity.
(b) Every human right.
(c) Their basic natures.
(d) Hopes and dreams.
3. In Chapter 2, what person made Bessie's natural hatred of the white man ebb?
(a) A child.
(b) The American woman.
(c) Cambridge volunteer.
4. What special category did Bessie see her writing in?
(a) Sufferer exposing the truth.
(b) Black woman with her own style.
(c) South African telling a South African story.
(d) Blazing a new trail into the future.
5. Bessie feels that literature in South Africa is very what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessie in "Despite broken bondage . . .," what do men in Botswana mostly do?
2. What is the result of the casual sexual practices of the men of Botswana?
3. Bessie describes Botswana men as what?
4. By the 1830's, most of the tribes of South Africa were what?
5. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why is the friendship between Bessie and the American woman painful?
2. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
3. Why according to Bessie has Botswana survived by "sheer luck and unexpected good fortune"?
4. In "Notes on Novels," why is Bessie having difficulty writing about her years in South Africa?
5. How are Bessie and the American woman different?
6. In "A Note on Rain Clouds," what does Bessie state is thwarting young, idealistic, black men and their ideals?
7. When Bessie arrived in Botswana in 1964, what were the major differences that she noticed between that country and South Africa?
8. Why was Bessie able to write in Botswana rather than South Africa?
9. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
10. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)