|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the musician, Makeba, have a passion for?
(a) The cello.
(c) Public performances.
2. Bogadi marriages are arranged to retain what?
(a) Suppression of women.
(d) Cattle wealth.
3. What kind of large mine was discovered in Africa after independence?
4. Bessie states that the system in South Africa sees blacks as not what?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie say is the root of traditional African life?
(a) Work, rest and prayer.
(b) Being at one with all things.
(c) Respecting your neighbor.
(d) The land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only industry that the British used Botswana for?
2. In Chapter2, how does Bessie describe her third novel, "A Question of Power"?
3. In "A Question of Power," Bessie states that what can lead a people or a nation into a terrible abyss of destruction?
4. What, does Bessie feel that exploitation and evil are dependent on?
5. Josef Herman, the artist who lived through the Nazi invasion of Poland, fled to what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Note on Rain Clouds," what does Bessie state is thwarting young, idealistic, black men and their ideals?
2. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie think that the spirit of the Nigra Goddess has done for the blacks in America?
4. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
5. In "Despite Broken Bondage . . .," how were women treated in Africa before independence?
6. Why was it so difficult for Bessie to deal with South Africa creatively?
7. What is Bessie's opinion of Botswana men?
8. In "God and The Underdog," what does Bessie feel fuels revolutions?
9. Why does Bessie think of the American woman as some sort of goddess?
10. How are Bessie and the American woman different?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)