|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter2, how does Bessie describe her third novel, "A Question of Power"?
(a) The most satisfying.
(b) Intensely personal and private.
(c) A work of excruciating detail.
(d) Difficult to write.
2. What makes people suffer according to Bessie?
3. In "God and the underdog," Bessie states that there is nothing that moves her more deeply than what?
(b) Children with no future.
(c) The history of the Jews.
(d) The emancipation of African blacks.
4. Bessie states that the system in South Africa sees blacks as not what?
5. In "Notes on novels," how is pre-colonial invasion South Africa described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie state was totally absent in her?
2. In her research for her novel, "Maru," Bessie worked right at the roots of what?
3. According to Bessie in "Despite broken bondage . . .," what do men in Botswana mostly do?
4. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that the only education for blacks in South Africa is what?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie say is the root of traditional African life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so difficult for Bessie to deal with South Africa creatively?
2. In "A Note on Rain Clouds," what does Bessie state is thwarting young, idealistic, black men and their ideals?
3. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
4. In "Notes on Novels," why is Bessie having difficulty writing about her years in South Africa?
5. In "Social and Political Pressures . . . ," what astonished Bessie about the book "One Hundred Years of Solitude"?
6. Why was Bessie able to write in Botswana rather than South Africa?
7. Why does Bessie think of the American woman as some sort of goddess?
8. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
9. How does Bessie describe the world that a black South African is born into?
10. In "African Religions," what, does Bessie state is the main difference between Asian and African religious ideals?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)