|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(b) Her grandparents home.
(c) Missionary orphanage.
(d) United States.
2. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
3. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
4. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
5. What race was Bessie's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
2. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
3. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
4. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
5. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
2. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
3. What facts about her parentage were brutally told to Bessie by the magistrate and the missionary?
4. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
5. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
6. How was African Independence celebrated in Botswana?
7. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
8. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
9. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe poverty in Africa?
10. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)