|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What race was Bessie's father?
2. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(d) New York.
3. Where was Bessie born?
(a) Medical hospital.
(b) The horse stables.
(c) In a mental hospital.
(d) Her mother's home.
4. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
5. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's sister.
(b) Her mother's maid.
(c) A black foster mother.
(d) Her father's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
4. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
5. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
2. What facts about her parentage were brutally told to Bessie by the magistrate and the missionary?
3. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
4. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
5. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
6. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
7. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
8. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe poverty in Africa?
9. How did Bessie react when she was forbidden to visit her adoptive family on school holidays?
10. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)