|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
(a) A trick.
(c) Good for the people.
2. What happened to Snowball?
(a) He left town.
(b) He got into a bar fight.
(c) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
(d) His dinghy collapsed.
3. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(b) North Africa.
(c) United States.
4. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The ample artist.
(b) The exuberant innocent.
(c) The people's savior.
(d) The innocent escapist.
5. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(a) Beautiful landscapes.
(d) Mud huts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
2. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
3. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
4. What startled Bessie in 1965?
5. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
2. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
3. What facts about her parentage were brutally told to Bessie by the magistrate and the missionary?
4. In "The Old Woman," what is Bessie referring to when she says "Gods walk around Africa barefoot with nothing"?
5. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
6. How does Bessie describe Botswana in 1964?
7. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
8. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe poverty in Africa?
9. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
10. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)