|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) She is very vocal about oppression.
(b) Her art subjects are all local.
(c) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(d) Her art sales benefit the community.
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(a) To get away from her family.
(b) To be with her husband.
(c) Research for a book.
3. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Be controlled.
(b) Practice Christianity.
(d) Adhere to western culture.
4. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) Take medication.
(b) See a psychiatrist.
(c) Report regularly to the police.
(d) Get her manuscript censored.
5. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(b) They help you laugh.
(c) The connect you to the right people.
(d) They protect you.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
2. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
3. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
4. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
5. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
2. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
3. What are Bessie's beliefs about racists?
4. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
5. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
6. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
7. How was African Independence celebrated in Botswana?
8. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
9. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
10. How does Bessie describe Botswana in 1964?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)