|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bessie born?
(a) The horse stables.
(b) Her mother's home.
(c) Medical hospital.
(d) In a mental hospital.
2. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
(a) No one was interested in them.
(b) She got angry over issues and her ideas died away.
(c) People ridiculed her.
(d) She panicked and felt dead inside.
3. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) August, September, and October.
(b) November, December, and January.
(c) May, June, and July.
(d) March, April, and May.
4. What startled Bessie in 1965?
(a) The liberation of Africa.
(b) A tsunami.
(c) A letter from her father.
(d) An arrest.
5. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(b) They help you laugh.
(c) The connect you to the right people.
(d) They protect you.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
2. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
3. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
4. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
5. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Old Woman," what is Bessie referring to when she says "Gods walk around Africa barefoot with nothing"?
2. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
3. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
4. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe poverty in Africa?
5. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
6. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
7. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
8. What more compassionate details concerning her mother did Bessie learn over time?
9. What are Bessie's beliefs about racists?
10. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)