|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(b) Her art sales benefit the community.
(c) She is very vocal about oppression.
(d) Her art subjects are all local.
2. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(a) Cape Town.
3. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(b) African hunger.
(c) The Afrikaners.
4. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) They are doomed.
(b) They shall overcome.
(c) Their culture will survive.
(d) The rest of the world will save them.
5. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) White teeth.
(b) Pink soles of his feet.
(c) White hair.
(d) Red lips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
2. Bessie Head was born in what year?
3. What did Bessie learn to hate?
4. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
5. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "African Religions," what, does Bessie state is the main difference between Asian and African religious ideals?
2. Why did Robert Sobukwe break away from the the African National Congress?
3. How was African Independence celebrated in Botswana?
4. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
5. How did the African National Congress come into being?
6. How does Bessie describe the world that a black South African is born into?
7. What was the "zamindari" system that was in place in certain areas of South Africa, before 1913?
8. Why was Bessie able to write in Botswana rather than South Africa?
9. In "Makeba Music," how does Bessie describe the musician, Makeba?
10. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)