|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her art sales benefit the community.
(b) Her art subjects are all local.
(c) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(d) She is very vocal about oppression.
2. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
3. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
(a) Her father was a criminal.
(b) She had to leave the country.
(c) Her mother was white.
(d) She was a ward of the state.
4. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Practice cultural customs.
(c) Visit her adoptive mother.
(d) Visit friends.
5. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Bessie?
2. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
3. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
4. What did Bessie learn to hate?
5. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bessie describe Botswana in 1964?
2. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
3. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
4. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
5. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
6. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
7. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
8. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
9. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
10. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)