|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Fire within.
(b) Innocent simplicity.
(c) Deep respect for the culture.
(d) Love and warmth.
2. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(a) The legal system.
(c) The social service system.
3. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
4. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
(c) Those who fear.
(d) The impoverished.
5. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
2. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
3. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
4. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
5. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Bessie's beliefs about racists?
2. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
3. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
4. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
5. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
6. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
7. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
8. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
9. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
10. How does Bessie describe Botswana in 1964?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)