|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(b) White people.
2. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
(a) People ridiculed her.
(b) She got angry over issues and her ideas died away.
(c) No one was interested in them.
(d) She panicked and felt dead inside.
3. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Made him clean.
(b) Cut his hair.
(c) Kicked him out.
(d) Mistreated him.
4. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(a) New York.
5. Where was Bessie born?
(a) In a mental hospital.
(b) Her mother's home.
(c) The horse stables.
(d) Medical hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
2. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
3. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
4. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
5. What happened to Snowball?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
2. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
3. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
4. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
5. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
6. In "Writings of Southern Africa," why does Bessie state no writer ever plans on a career in writing?
7. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
8. What is Bessie's opinion of Botswana men?
9. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
10. In "Social and Political Pressures . . . ," what astonished Bessie about the book "One Hundred Years of Solitude"?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)