|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(b) A one-sided truce.
(d) Only a dream.
2. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) Get her manuscript censored.
(b) Report regularly to the police.
(c) Take medication.
(d) See a psychiatrist.
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
(a) Good for the people.
(b) A trick.
4. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
5. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
2. What did Bessie learn to hate?
3. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
4. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
5. How does Bessie describe the people from the place that the American woman hails from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
2. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
3. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
4. In "The Old Woman," what is Bessie referring to when she says "Gods walk around Africa barefoot with nothing"?
5. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
6. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
7. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
8. What more compassionate details concerning her mother did Bessie learn over time?
9. How was African Independence celebrated in Botswana?
10. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)