|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(b) They have alot of money.
(c) He loves her and is loyal to her.
(d) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
2. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) A one-sided truce.
(d) Only a dream.
3. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) Pink soles of his feet.
(b) White teeth.
(c) White hair.
(d) Red lips.
4. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Christianity and Hinduism.
(b) Blacks and whites.
(c) Science and spiritualism.
(d) Western and African cultures.
5. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(a) African hunger.
(b) The Afrikaners.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
2. What startled Bessie in 1965?
3. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
4. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
5. What happened to Snowball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts about her parentage were brutally told to Bessie by the magistrate and the missionary?
2. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
3. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
4. What are Bessie's beliefs about racists?
5. In "The Old Woman," what is Bessie referring to when she says "Gods walk around Africa barefoot with nothing"?
6. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
7. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
8. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
9. Why was Bessie given up for adoption?
10. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)