|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(a) White people.
2. What did Boeta L revert to when no one accepts his cause?
3. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
(a) She had no family.
(b) She couldn't get her stories published.
(c) Violence was overtaking common sense.
(d) Blacks were just giving in to the white government.
4. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
5. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(b) North Africa.
(c) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
2. What race was Bessie's father?
3. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
4. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
5. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bessie react when she was forbidden to visit her adoptive family on school holidays?
2. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
3. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
4. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
5. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
6. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
7. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
8. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
9. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
10. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)