|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) A common bond.
(b) Respect for one another.
(c) A deep faith.
2. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(d) Cape Town.
3. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
4. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
5. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
(c) With pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
2. What race was Bessie's mother?
3. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
4. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
5. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Bessie's beliefs about racists?
2. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
3. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe poverty in Africa?
4. In "The Woman From America," what was the biggest threat that this woman and her husband posed to the village?
5. In "An Unspeakable Crime," why does Bessie feel discouraged by the South African blacks?
6. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
7. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
8. In "The Old Woman," what is Bessie referring to when she says "Gods walk around Africa barefoot with nothing"?
9. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
10. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)