|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(b) Mud huts.
(c) Beautiful landscapes.
2. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The people's savior.
(b) The ample artist.
(c) The innocent escapist.
(d) The exuberant innocent.
3. What race was Bessie's father?
4. What race was Bessie's mother?
5. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's maid.
(b) Her father's parents.
(c) Her mother's sister.
(d) A black foster mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
2. What did Bessie create in Botswana?
3. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
4. What did Bessie's father take care of?
5. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so difficult for Bessie to deal with South Africa creatively?
2. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
3. Why do the South African blacks relate to the artist, Gladys Mgudlandlu?
4. Why was Bessie able to write in Botswana rather than South Africa?
5. How does Bessie describe the world that a black South African is born into?
6. How did the African National Congress come into being?
7. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
8. When Bessie arrived in Botswana in 1964, what were the major differences that she noticed between that country and South Africa?
9. What was Bessie's life like during the two years that she lived in the refugee community in northern Botswana?
10. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)