|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
2. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) The connect you to the right people.
(b) They help you laugh.
(c) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(d) They protect you.
3. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(b) She is very vocal about oppression.
(c) Her art sales benefit the community.
(d) Her art subjects are all local.
4. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) A common bond.
(b) A deep faith.
(d) Respect for one another.
5. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Free expression.
(c) Educational opportunities.
(d) Repetition and simplicity in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
2. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
3. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
4. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
5. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bessie's life like during the two years that she lived in the refugee community in northern Botswana?
2. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
3. In "God and The Underdog," what does Bessie feel fuels revolutions?
4. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
5. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
6. What was Bessie's first experience of racism in a black form?
7. In Chapter 2, why is the friendship between Bessie and the American woman painful?
8. In "The Inspiration of Bertolt Brecht," how did Brecht bring Marxism to life?
9. How did Bessie react when she was forbidden to visit her adoptive family on school holidays?
10. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)