|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(c) The social service system.
(d) The legal system.
2. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
(a) A pail of water.
(b) A chicken.
(d) A meal.
3. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
4. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(b) Free expression.
(c) Educational opportunities.
5. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(c) United States.
(d) North Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
2. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
3. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
4. Bessie Head was born in what year?
5. What did the American woman send Bessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
2. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
3. How was African Independence celebrated in Botswana?
4. How does Bessie describe Botswana in 1964?
5. In 1966, what changes were made regarding refugees in Botswana?
6. Why is Bessie so drawn to the American woman in "Woman from America"?
7. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
8. What facts about her parentage were brutally told to Bessie by the magistrate and the missionary?
9. What did Bessie think of the mission orphanage that she was sent to at age 13?
10. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)