|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bessie, what had the blacks in Cape Town not made use of?
(b) Food coupons.
(c) Government issued cash coupons.
(d) Special travel privileges.
2. What happened to Snowball?
(a) He got into a bar fight.
(b) He left town.
(c) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
(d) His dinghy collapsed.
3. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(b) White people.
4. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
(d) With pride.
5. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
(a) Weary effort.
(b) Unconscious dignity.
(c) Determined resignation.
(d) Benign acceptance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
2. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
3. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
4. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
5. What did the American woman send Bessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1982, Bessie writes about her reaction when people discussed her writing. Why did she get so frustrated?
2. In "Village People," how does Bessie describe the black African people?
3. How did Bessie react when she was forbidden to visit her adoptive family on school holidays?
4. Why did Bessie keep all the notes that the American woman gave her?
5. How does Bessie describe the Botswana flag to students during the independence celebration?
6. What lasting effect did the treatment by the missionaries have on Bessie?
7. In "A Gentle People," what are Bessie's feelings regarding the black people of Cape Town?
8. What does Bessie say about refugees and friendship in "Letter from South Africa"?
9. Why is there no rage and oppression in Botswana?
10. In "preface to Witchcraft," why is Bessie angry with South Africa?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)