|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie describes Botswana men as what?
(b) Not nice.
2. In Chapter2, how does Bessie describe her third novel, "A Question of Power"?
(a) The most satisfying.
(b) A work of excruciating detail.
(c) Intensely personal and private.
(d) Difficult to write.
3. In "African religions," what does African religion focus on?
(d) Mutual cooperation.
4. In "Notes on novels," how is pre-colonial invasion South Africa described?
5. In "Despite broken bondage . . .," in the old days a woman was only regarded as sacred if she what?
(a) Was a virgin.
(b) Was an elder.
(c) Knew her place.
(d) Owned cattle.
6. In "Makeba music," where would Russian people caught dealing in the black market be deported to?
(b) United States.
7. Josef Herman, the artist who lived through the Nazi invasion of Poland, fled to what country?
(d) United States.
8. Who was the great leader of Botswana that protected it's people?
9. By the 1830's, most of the tribes of South Africa were what?
(a) Assimilated into other tribes.
10. According to Bessie in "Despite broken bondage . . .," what do men in Botswana mostly do?
(c) Play games.
11. Bessie states that one day all nations shall dwell under what shadow?
(a) The Pharaoh's.
(c) Total equality.
(d) Global civilization.
12. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that the only education for blacks in South Africa is what?
13. Bessie states that Botswana men do not care about what?
(b) Their children.
(c) Their pride.
(d) Their wives.
14. In old African custom, what were women forbidden to handle?
15. What is the meaning of "didactic" works?
(a) Historical, yet fiction.
(b) Pre-planned conclusions and principles.
(c) Dealing with African culture.
(d) Geographical works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of large mine was discovered in Africa after independence?
2. What is a "bogadi," in African culture?
3. What does Bessie state was totally absent in her?
4. What does Bessie attribute her bad habits and violent nature to?
5. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that the South African blacks have been stripped bare of what?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)