|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many major tribes are there in Botswana?
2. Who was the great leader of Botswana that protected it's people?
3. Bessie states that the system in South Africa sees blacks as not what?
4. According to an account by Dr. W.H.C. Lichtenstein, Botswana men only do work that can be what?
(a) Viewed as manly.
(b) Dropped suddenly.
(c) Considered too important for women.
(d) Sold or traded.
5. What is the meaning of "didactic" works?
(a) Geographical works.
(b) Dealing with African culture.
(c) Historical, yet fiction.
(d) Pre-planned conclusions and principles.
6. In her research for her novel, "Maru," Bessie worked right at the roots of what?
(c) South African cultural diversity.
(d) Racial hatred.
7. How many years did Bessie live in South Africa?
8. In Chapter 2, whose religious ideas hold great appeal for Bessie?
(a) The local bishop.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Professor Mbiti.
9. Why did Bessie say the South African experience so difficult for her to deal with in a creative sense?
(a) She had too much inner turmoil.
(b) She had no family for support.
(c) She couldn't get past her own personal views.
(d) It was evil.
10. What people did the Bushmen resemble?
(a) White Afrikaners.
(b) Black South Africans.
(c) Black Irish.
11. In old African custom, what were women forbidden to handle?
12. Bessie's suffering in South Africa created in her a reverence for what?
(a) Ordinary people.
13. In Chapter 2, what did the British go to Rhodesia to find?
14. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie state is responsible for the elimination of polygamy in Botswana?
(a) Women's movement.
(d) New laws.
15. In African culture, what can't a woman do to their husband?
(a) Berate them.
(b) Strike them.
(c) Divorce them.
(d) Lodge complaints against them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special category did Bessie see her writing in?
2. When did Bessie first get published?
3. Bessie feels that the main function of a writer is to communicate what?
4. In "Makeba music," where would Russian people caught dealing in the black market be deported to?
5. In "God and the underdog," what do the Ku Klux Klan members discover when they get to heaven?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)