|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie state is responsible for the elimination of polygamy in Botswana?
(b) Women's movement.
(d) New laws.
2. In Chapter 2, Bessie believes that God is embodied in whom?
(a) Her adoptive mother.
(b) The American woman.
(c) The souls of all black Africans.
(d) The children.
3. Bessie states that the system in South Africa sees blacks as not what?
4. In old African custom, what were women forbidden to handle?
5. What is a "bogadi," in African culture?
(a) Bride price.
(b) Religious statue.
(c) Village square.
(d) Type of bread.
6. What special category did Bessie see her writing in?
(a) Blazing a new trail into the future.
(b) Sufferer exposing the truth.
(c) Black woman with her own style.
(d) South African telling a South African story.
7. How many major tribes are there in Botswana?
8. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that Botswana has survived by what?
(a) Having few whites.
(b) Sheer luck.
(c) The grace of God.
(d) Lack of violence.
9. According to Bessie, revolutionary movements are composed of people living with what?
(c) Mental instability.
10. How many cattle died in the major drought in Botswana?
11. In Chapter 2, what person made Bessie's natural hatred of the white man ebb?
(a) Cambridge volunteer.
(b) A child.
(c) The American woman.
12. In Chapter 2, what did the British go to Rhodesia to find?
13. What is the meaning of "didactic" works?
(a) Historical, yet fiction.
(b) Dealing with African culture.
(c) Pre-planned conclusions and principles.
(d) Geographical works.
14. Bogadi marriages are arranged to retain what?
(a) Cattle wealth.
(b) Suppression of women.
15. Who was the great leader of Botswana that protected it's people?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie feels that the main function of a writer is to communicate what?
2. How did the British refer to Botswana in the early 1800's?
3. Which of Bessie's novels is the only one that truly reflects a black South African viewpoint?
4. According to an account by Dr. W.H.C. Lichtenstein, Botswana men only do work that can be what?
5. What, does Bessie feel that exploitation and evil are dependent on?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)