|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the old British Bechuanaland Protectorate established in Botswana?
2. In Chapter 2, Bessie states that Botswana has survived by what?
(a) The grace of God.
(b) Having few whites.
(c) Sheer luck.
(d) Lack of violence.
3. In "African religions," Bessie states that African religion doesn't receive value because they don't have what?
(a) Deity figurines to worship.
(b) Ornate houses of worship.
(c) Large congregations.
(d) Money for recruiting followers.
4. When did Bessie first get published?
5. What is the only industry that the British used Botswana for?
(d) Timber production.
6. What did the British bring to South Africa, which aided women as food producers?
(a) Iron hand-plough.
7. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie feel that the African people need, for their civilization?
(b) Largeness of heart.
8. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie state is responsible for the elimination of polygamy in Botswana?
(a) Women's movement.
(d) New laws.
9. In "God and the underdog," what do the Ku Klux Klan members discover when they get to heaven?
(a) God is a black woman.
(b) They're really in hell.
(c) The gates are locked, to them.
(d) Their families are not there.
10. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie say is the root of traditional African life?
(a) The land.
(b) Work, rest and prayer.
(c) Respecting your neighbor.
(d) Being at one with all things.
11. How many major tribes are there in Botswana?
12. What did Bessie feel defeated her in South Africa as a writer?
(b) The environment.
(d) Mental illness.
13. Bessie states that the system in South Africa sees blacks as not what?
14. Bessie feels that literature in South Africa is very what?
15. What was the name of the conquered tribe in Botswana?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie's suffering in South Africa created in her a reverence for what?
2. Which of Bessie's novels is the only one that truly reflects a black South African viewpoint?
3. What, does Bessie feel that exploitation and evil are dependent on?
4. Who is the main character in Bessie's first novel, "When Rain Clouds Gather"?
5. Bogadi marriages are arranged to retain what?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)