|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
(a) Benign acceptance.
(b) Unconscious dignity.
(c) Weary effort.
(d) Determined resignation.
2. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(b) Her real mother.
(c) Her adoptive mother.
(d) Her father.
3. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
(c) Little bits of things.
4. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
5. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
6. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(b) Free expression.
(d) Educational opportunities.
7. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Visit friends.
(b) Practice cultural customs.
(d) Visit her adoptive mother.
8. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
(a) Freedom to practice cultural traditions.
(c) Their dignity.
(d) Their lives.
9. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(c) White people.
10. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
11. What race was Bessie's father?
12. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) A right to speak.
(b) A place in her world.
(c) Their story told.
(d) Equal representation.
13. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(b) Her mother was insane.
(c) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(d) Her mother was dying.
14. What happened to Snowball?
(a) His dinghy collapsed.
(b) He left town.
(c) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
(d) He got into a bar fight.
15. How does Bessie describe the people from the place that the American woman hails from?
(a) Creative and beautiful.
(b) Wealthy but caring.
(c) Exciting and adventurous.
(d) Lazy and spoiled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Bessie?
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
3. Where was Bessie born?
4. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
5. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)