|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
2. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) The connect you to the right people.
(b) They help you laugh.
(c) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(d) They protect you.
3. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(b) She is very vocal about oppression.
(c) Her art sales benefit the community.
(d) Her art subjects are all local.
4. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) A common bond.
(b) A deep faith.
(d) Respect for one another.
5. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Free expression.
(c) Educational opportunities.
(d) Repetition and simplicity in life.
6. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
(a) Unconscious dignity.
(b) Benign acceptance.
(c) Weary effort.
(d) Determined resignation.
7. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(b) Be controlled.
(c) Practice Christianity.
(d) Adhere to western culture.
8. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(c) Cape Town.
9. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) March, April, and May.
(b) May, June, and July.
(c) August, September, and October.
(d) November, December, and January.
10. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) See a psychiatrist.
(b) Report regularly to the police.
(c) Take medication.
(d) Get her manuscript censored.
11. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
(a) Violence was overtaking common sense.
(b) She couldn't get her stories published.
(c) She had no family.
(d) Blacks were just giving in to the white government.
12. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(d) White people.
13. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A pail of water.
(c) A meal.
14. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(c) A one-sided truce.
(d) Only a dream.
15. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Deep respect for the culture.
(b) Innocent simplicity.
(c) Fire within.
(d) Love and warmth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reminds Bessie of the man, Snowball?
2. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
3. What startled Bessie in 1965?
4. What did Bessie learn to hate?
5. How did Bessie define culture?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)