|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(a) Her little piece of hell.
(b) A forgotten culture.
(d) The unholiest place on earth.
2. What startled Bessie in 1965?
(a) The liberation of Africa.
(b) An arrest.
(c) A tsunami.
(d) A letter from her father.
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
(b) A trick.
(c) Good for the people.
4. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(b) They help you laugh.
(c) The connect you to the right people.
(d) They protect you.
5. Who is Bessie referring to in "A Gentle People"?
(a) The black people of Cape Town.
(b) The children.
(c) The missionaries.
(d) The white people of Cape Town.
6. Bessie Head was born in what year?
7. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
(a) Violence was overtaking common sense.
(b) She had no family.
(c) Blacks were just giving in to the white government.
(d) She couldn't get her stories published.
8. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Massive poverty.
(b) Cultural indifference.
(c) Young people all leaving.
(d) Having babies out of wedlock.
9. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
(a) Those who fear.
(d) The impoverished.
10. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(a) Their ancestors.
(b) The United States southern racists.
(c) Adolph Hitler.
11. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) The rest of the world will save them.
(b) Their culture will survive.
(c) They are doomed.
(d) They shall overcome.
12. According to Bessie, the South Africans have been living in exclusive compartments for so long that they are what?
(a) Out of touch.
(b) An isolated people.
(c) Afraid of each other.
13. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) A one-sided truce.
(d) Only a dream.
14. What happened to Snowball?
(a) He got into a bar fight.
(b) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
(c) His dinghy collapsed.
(d) He left town.
15. What reminds Bessie of the man, Snowball?
(a) The sunset.
(b) A child she meets.
(c) A herd of elephants.
(d) The tranquil waters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
2. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
3. What community was Bessie in in "The Isolation of Boeta L"?
4. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
5. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)