|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) August, September, and October.
(b) May, June, and July.
(c) November, December, and January.
(d) March, April, and May.
2. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(a) The United States southern racists.
(b) Adolph Hitler.
(c) Their ancestors.
3. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) White teeth.
(b) Red lips.
(c) White hair.
(d) Pink soles of his feet.
4. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(b) White people.
5. According to Bessie, the South Africans have been living in exclusive compartments for so long that they are what?
(b) Afraid of each other.
(c) Out of touch.
(d) An isolated people.
6. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
7. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(b) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(c) They have alot of money.
(d) He loves her and is loyal to her.
8. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
9. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Practice cultural customs.
(c) Visit friends.
(d) Visit her adoptive mother.
10. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(b) Free expression.
(c) Educational opportunities.
(d) Repetition and simplicity in life.
11. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
(a) Fight against the status quo.
(b) Look to God to save them.
(c) Love their neighbor.
12. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
(a) Family and friends.
(b) Political activism events.
13. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(a) The legal system.
(d) The social service system.
14. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(c) African hunger.
(d) The Afrikaners.
15. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(b) Her mother was insane.
(c) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(d) Her mother was dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
2. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
3. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
4. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
5. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)