|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her adoptive mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her real mother.
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(a) To get away from her family.
(c) Research for a book.
(d) To be with her husband.
3. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
4. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) Report regularly to the police.
(b) Take medication.
(c) See a psychiatrist.
(d) Get her manuscript censored.
5. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) A deep faith.
(c) A common bond.
(d) Respect for one another.
6. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(a) Her grandparents home.
(b) United States.
(d) Missionary orphanage.
7. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
(a) The connect you to the right people.
(b) They help you fight the white supremacy.
(c) They protect you.
(d) They help you laugh.
8. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) May, June, and July.
(b) August, September, and October.
(c) March, April, and May.
(d) November, December, and January.
9. Who is Bessie referring to in "A Gentle People"?
(a) The black people of Cape Town.
(b) The children.
(c) The missionaries.
(d) The white people of Cape Town.
10. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Innocent simplicity.
(b) Love and warmth.
(c) Fire within.
(d) Deep respect for the culture.
11. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(b) North Africa.
(c) United States.
12. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(a) Her little piece of hell.
(c) The unholiest place on earth.
(d) A forgotten culture.
13. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
14. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother was dying.
(b) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(c) Her mother was insane.
(d) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
15. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
2. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
3. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
4. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
5. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)