|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Kicked him out.
(b) Mistreated him.
(c) Cut his hair.
(d) Made him clean.
2. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(b) They have alot of money.
(c) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(d) He loves her and is loyal to her.
3. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(b) A common bond.
(c) Respect for one another.
(d) A deep faith.
4. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
(a) Their lives.
(b) Their dignity.
(c) Freedom to practice cultural traditions.
5. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
(a) Love their neighbor.
(b) Fight against the status quo.
(d) Look to God to save them.
6. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) Equal representation.
(b) Their story told.
(c) A place in her world.
(d) A right to speak.
7. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her adoptive mother.
(c) Her real mother.
8. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
9. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) May, June, and July.
(b) November, December, and January.
(c) August, September, and October.
(d) March, April, and May.
10. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
11. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(b) Beautiful landscapes.
(c) Mud huts.
12. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
13. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
14. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(b) Adolph Hitler.
(c) Their ancestors.
(d) The United States southern racists.
15. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The innocent escapist.
(b) The exuberant innocent.
(c) The people's savior.
(d) The ample artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
2. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
3. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
4. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
5. Where was Bessie born?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)