|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
(a) Unconscious dignity.
(b) Determined resignation.
(c) Weary effort.
(d) Benign acceptance.
2. In "Sketches," how does Bessie describe Botswana?
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
(c) Cape Town.
4. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
(a) Fed up.
5. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) Happy little notes.
(b) An invitation to her wedding.
(c) A novel to read.
6. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(a) Missionary orphanage.
(b) United States.
(d) Her grandparents home.
7. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(c) White people.
8. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Western and African cultures.
(b) Science and spiritualism.
(c) Blacks and whites.
(d) Christianity and Hinduism.
9. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
(a) Good for the people.
(b) A trick.
10. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(a) Race horses.
11. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(b) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(c) Free expression.
(d) Educational opportunities.
12. What startled Bessie in 1965?
(a) A letter from her father.
(b) The liberation of Africa.
(c) An arrest.
(d) A tsunami.
13. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) White teeth.
(b) Red lips.
(c) Pink soles of his feet.
(d) White hair.
14. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(b) Adolph Hitler.
(c) The United States southern racists.
(d) Their ancestors.
15. What reminds Bessie of the man, Snowball?
(a) The tranquil waters.
(b) A herd of elephants.
(c) A child she meets.
(d) The sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
2. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
3. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
4. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
5. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)