|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(a) North Africa.
(d) United States.
2. According to Bessie, what had the blacks in Cape Town not made use of?
(a) Food coupons.
(b) Special travel privileges.
(d) Government issued cash coupons.
3. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Blacks and whites.
(b) Western and African cultures.
(c) Christianity and Hinduism.
(d) Science and spiritualism.
4. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
5. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(a) Their ancestors.
(b) The United States southern racists.
(c) Adolph Hitler.
6. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(a) Her little piece of hell.
(b) The unholiest place on earth.
(c) A forgotten culture.
7. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) Red lips.
(b) White hair.
(c) Pink soles of his feet.
(d) White teeth.
8. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
9. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(a) The social service system.
(c) The legal system.
10. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) Only a dream.
(b) A one-sided truce.
11. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(b) Research for a book.
(c) To get away from her family.
(d) To be with her husband.
12. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
(c) Innate abilities.
13. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) The rest of the world will save them.
(b) They are doomed.
(c) They shall overcome.
(d) Their culture will survive.
14. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
15. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) A right to speak.
(b) Their story told.
(c) Equal representation.
(d) A place in her world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Boeta L revert to when no one accepts his cause?
2. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
4. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
5. According to Bessie, the South Africans have been living in exclusive compartments for so long that they are what?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)