|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Practice cultural customs.
(b) Visit friends.
(c) Visit her adoptive mother.
2. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(b) A common bond.
(c) Respect for one another.
(d) A deep faith.
3. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
4. According to Bessie, what had the blacks in Cape Town not made use of?
(b) Government issued cash coupons.
(c) Food coupons.
(d) Special travel privileges.
5. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(b) Their ancestors.
(c) Adolph Hitler.
(d) The United States southern racists.
6. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Be controlled.
(b) Practice Christianity.
(d) Adhere to western culture.
7. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
8. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) Happy little notes.
(c) A novel to read.
(d) An invitation to her wedding.
9. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) A right to speak.
(b) Their story told.
(c) A place in her world.
(d) Equal representation.
10. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
11. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) They have alot of money.
(b) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(c) He loves her and is loyal to her.
(d) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
12. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) A one-sided truce.
(b) Only a dream.
13. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Kicked him out.
(b) Made him clean.
(c) Cut his hair.
(d) Mistreated him.
14. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's sister.
(b) Her mother's maid.
(c) A black foster mother.
(d) Her father's parents.
15. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(b) Mud huts.
(c) Beautiful landscapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sketches," how does Bessie describe Botswana?
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
3. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
4. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
5. What did Bessie learn to hate?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)