|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(c) Cape Town.
2. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) He loves her and is loyal to her.
(b) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(c) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(d) They have alot of money.
3. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
(a) She had no family.
(b) She couldn't get her stories published.
(c) Violence was overtaking common sense.
(d) Blacks were just giving in to the white government.
4. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
5. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) May, June, and July.
(b) March, April, and May.
(c) November, December, and January.
(d) August, September, and October.
6. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) A place in her world.
(b) Equal representation.
(c) A right to speak.
(d) Their story told.
7. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(a) African hunger.
(b) The Afrikaners.
8. Who raised Bessie?
(a) A black foster mother.
(b) Her father's parents.
(c) Her mother's maid.
(d) Her mother's sister.
9. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Blacks and whites.
(b) Western and African cultures.
(c) Science and spiritualism.
(d) Christianity and Hinduism.
10. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
(b) Cape Town.
11. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
(a) She got angry over issues and her ideas died away.
(b) She panicked and felt dead inside.
(c) No one was interested in them.
(d) People ridiculed her.
12. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Young people all leaving.
(b) Having babies out of wedlock.
(c) Cultural indifference.
(d) Massive poverty.
13. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(b) The legal system.
(d) The social service system.
14. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) Respect for one another.
(b) A deep faith.
(c) A common bond.
15. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Free expression.
(b) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(d) Educational opportunities.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
2. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
3. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
4. In "Sketches," how does Bessie describe Botswana?
5. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)