|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's sister.
(b) Her mother's maid.
(c) A black foster mother.
(d) Her father's parents.
2. How did Bessie define culture?
(a) Where we all come from.
(b) The core of people.
(c) The personality of a people.
(d) The bareroots of a people.
3. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(b) North Africa.
(c) United States.
4. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(d) Race horses.
5. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(c) New York.
6. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Having babies out of wedlock.
(b) Massive poverty.
(c) Cultural indifference.
(d) Young people all leaving.
7. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
(d) Cape Town.
8. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
9. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(b) Her adoptive mother.
(c) Her real mother.
(d) Her father.
10. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) Equal representation.
(b) A right to speak.
(c) A place in her world.
(d) Their story told.
11. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
(b) Those who fear.
(d) The impoverished.
12. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(b) He loves her and is loyal to her.
(c) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(d) They have alot of money.
13. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Practice cultural customs.
(b) Visit friends.
(c) Visit her adoptive mother.
14. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) Report regularly to the police.
(b) See a psychiatrist.
(c) Get her manuscript censored.
(d) Take medication.
15. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(c) Mud huts.
(d) Beautiful landscapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
2. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
3. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
4. What did the American woman send Bessie?
5. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)