|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
(d) Innate abilities.
2. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her real mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her adoptive mother.
3. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) White teeth.
(b) Pink soles of his feet.
(c) Red lips.
(d) White hair.
4. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
5. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
(b) Little bits of things.
6. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) Happy little notes.
(c) A novel to read.
(d) An invitation to her wedding.
7. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(a) Research for a book.
(c) To get away from her family.
(d) To be with her husband.
8. What reminds Bessie of the man, Snowball?
(a) The sunset.
(b) The tranquil waters.
(c) A herd of elephants.
(d) A child she meets.
9. What did Boeta L revert to when no one accepts his cause?
10. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
11. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(c) New York.
12. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(a) A deep faith.
(b) Respect for one another.
(c) A common bond.
13. What race was Bessie's mother?
14. How did Bessie define culture?
(a) The personality of a people.
(b) Where we all come from.
(c) The bareroots of a people.
(d) The core of people.
15. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(a) White people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
2. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
3. What startled Bessie in 1965?
4. What did Bessie learn to hate?
5. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)