|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reminds Bessie of the man, Snowball?
(a) The tranquil waters.
(b) A herd of elephants.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A child she meets.
2. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The people's savior.
(b) The exuberant innocent.
(c) The innocent escapist.
(d) The ample artist.
3. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) A novel to read.
(c) An invitation to her wedding.
(d) Happy little notes.
4. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother was insane.
(b) Her mother was dying.
(c) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(d) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
5. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
6. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(b) Only a dream.
(c) A one-sided truce.
7. What did Bessie create in Botswana?
(a) A published manuscript.
(b) A large garden.
(c) Her ideal life.
(d) A new family.
8. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) The rest of the world will save them.
(b) They are doomed.
(c) They shall overcome.
(d) Their culture will survive.
9. Who raised Bessie?
(a) A black foster mother.
(b) Her father's parents.
(c) Her mother's maid.
(d) Her mother's sister.
10. What happened to Snowball?
(a) He left town.
(b) He got into a bar fight.
(c) His dinghy collapsed.
(d) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
11. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
(a) She couldn't get her stories published.
(b) Blacks were just giving in to the white government.
(c) She had no family.
(d) Violence was overtaking common sense.
12. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
(c) The impoverished.
(d) Those who fear.
13. In "Sketches," how does Bessie describe Botswana?
14. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her adoptive mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her real mother.
15. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(a) To get away from her family.
(b) Research for a book.
(c) To be with her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
2. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
3. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
4. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
5. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)