|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Boeta L revert to when no one accepts his cause?
2. What race was Bessie's mother?
3. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her art subjects are all local.
(b) She is very vocal about oppression.
(c) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(d) Her art sales benefit the community.
4. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A pail of water.
(d) A meal.
5. What happened to Snowball?
(a) He got thrown into jail for being subversive.
(b) His dinghy collapsed.
(c) He got into a bar fight.
(d) He left town.
6. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
7. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
8. What community was Bessie in in "The Isolation of Boeta L"?
(b) Cape Town
9. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
(a) Their lives.
(c) Freedom to practice cultural traditions.
(d) Their dignity.
10. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) A place in her world.
(b) Equal representation.
(c) A right to speak.
(d) Their story told.
11. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(a) Beautiful landscapes.
(b) Mud huts.
12. According to Bessie, the South Africans have been living in exclusive compartments for so long that they are what?
(a) An isolated people.
(b) Afraid of each other.
(c) Out of touch.
13. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Young people all leaving.
(b) Massive poverty.
(c) Cultural indifference.
(d) Having babies out of wedlock.
14. In "The woman from America," what about this woman and her husband poses the biggest threat to the village people?
(a) They may be loyal to the Afrikaners.
(b) He loves her and is loyal to her.
(c) She is a westerner and not to be trusted.
(d) They have alot of money.
15. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(a) The Afrikaners.
(b) African hunger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
2. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
3. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
4. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
5. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)