|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Village people," Bessie states that poverty in Africa is like a second skin and worn with what?
(a) Weary effort.
(b) Unconscious dignity.
(c) Benign acceptance.
(d) Determined resignation.
2. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(b) Her mother was dying.
(c) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(d) Her mother was insane.
3. What community was Bessie in in "The Isolation of Boeta L"?
(b) Cape Town
4. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her real mother.
(d) Her adoptive mother.
5. Bessie feels that the South African people lack what?
6. What race was Bessie's mother?
7. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(a) United States.
(b) Missionary orphanage.
(c) Her grandparents home.
8. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
(a) She was a ward of the state.
(b) Her mother was white.
(c) She had to leave the country.
(d) Her father was a criminal.
9. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(c) Cape Town.
10. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Fire within.
(b) Innocent simplicity.
(c) Deep respect for the culture.
(d) Love and warmth.
11. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
12. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
(a) August, September, and October.
(b) March, April, and May.
(c) November, December, and January.
(d) May, June, and July.
13. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
14. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) Happy little notes.
(c) An invitation to her wedding.
(d) A novel to read.
15. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(b) African hunger.
(c) The Afrikaners.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
2. What was Bessie's biggest frustration in "An Unspeakable Crime"?
3. What happened to Snowball?
4. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
5. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)