|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(a) A forgotten culture.
(b) Her little piece of hell.
(d) The unholiest place on earth.
2. What did Boeta L revert to when no one accepts his cause?
3. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(d) Cape Town.
4. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
(a) Fed up.
5. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
(b) Love their neighbor.
(c) Look to God to save them.
(d) Fight against the status quo.
6. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
(a) Their dignity.
(b) Freedom to practice cultural traditions.
(d) Their lives.
7. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Adhere to western culture.
(b) Practice Christianity.
(d) Be controlled.
8. What animal was involved in the story that the American woman told Bessie regarding a vision?
9. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) Their culture will survive.
(b) They are doomed.
(c) They shall overcome.
(d) The rest of the world will save them.
10. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(a) African hunger.
(b) The Afrikaners.
11. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
(a) Cape Town.
12. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The exuberant innocent.
(b) The innocent escapist.
(c) The ample artist.
(d) The people's savior.
13. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
(a) Innate abilities.
14. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Deep respect for the culture.
(b) Innocent simplicity.
(c) Fire within.
(d) Love and warmth.
15. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her adoptive mother.
(d) Her real mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Village people," what kind of porridge do they have for every meal?
2. How did Bessie define culture?
3. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
4. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
5. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)