|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Love and warmth.
(b) Fire within.
(c) Deep respect for the culture.
(d) Innocent simplicity.
2. According to Bessie, what had the blacks in Cape Town not made use of?
(a) Government issued cash coupons.
(b) Special travel privileges.
(c) Food coupons.
3. What community was Bessie in in "The Isolation of Boeta L"?
(b) Cape Town
4. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Blacks and whites.
(b) Christianity and Hinduism.
(c) Western and African cultures.
(d) Science and spiritualism.
5. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(b) The unholiest place on earth.
(c) Her little piece of hell.
(d) A forgotten culture.
6. In "chibuku beer and independence," Bessie states that if the government make a statement with no evil in it, then it may be what?
(a) Good for the people.
(b) A trick.
7. In 1975, Botswana had few what?
(c) White people.
8. What startled Bessie in 1965?
(a) A tsunami.
(b) The liberation of Africa.
(c) A letter from her father.
(d) An arrest.
9. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
10. In 1965, what did Bessie write that the people of South Africa need to find in order to live together?
(b) A deep faith.
(c) Respect for one another.
(d) A common bond.
11. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Mistreated him.
(c) Kicked him out.
(d) Made him clean.
12. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
(c) Political activism events.
(d) Family and friends.
13. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) A one-sided truce.
(c) Only a dream.
14. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(c) The social service system.
(d) The legal system.
15. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The exuberant innocent.
(b) The ample artist.
(c) The innocent escapist.
(d) The people's savior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
2. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
3. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
4. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
5. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)