|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
2. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Mistreated him.
(b) Made him clean.
(c) Cut his hair.
(d) Kicked him out.
3. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(b) Adhere to western culture.
(c) Practice Christianity.
(d) Be controlled.
4. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
(a) People ridiculed her.
(b) No one was interested in them.
(c) She panicked and felt dead inside.
(d) She got angry over issues and her ideas died away.
5. In 1966, Bessie wrote that some people from the American State Department came to Botswana, but they couldn't talk about what?
(a) African hunger.
(c) The Afrikaners.
6. What did Bessie create in Botswana?
(a) A large garden.
(b) A published manuscript.
(c) A new family.
(d) Her ideal life.
7. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) An invitation to her wedding.
(c) Happy little notes.
(d) A novel to read.
8. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
9. According to Bessie, Serowe consists of African people and what?
(c) Beautiful landscapes.
(d) Mud huts.
10. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Young people all leaving.
(b) Massive poverty.
(c) Cultural indifference.
(d) Having babies out of wedlock.
11. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her real mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) Her adoptive mother.
12. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Educational opportunities.
(b) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(c) Free expression.
13. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
(b) Freedom to practice cultural traditions.
(c) Their dignity.
(d) Their lives.
14. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(b) Race horses.
15. Bessie Head was born in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
2. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
3. What community was Bessie in in "The Isolation of Boeta L"?
4. What months does it rain fiercely in Serowe?
5. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)