Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
(a) White hair.
(b) Pink soles of his feet.
(c) White teeth.
(d) Red lips.
2. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(b) Research for a book.
(c) To be with her husband.
(d) To get away from her family.
3. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(c) The social service system.
(d) The legal system.
4. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
(a) Their story told.
(b) A place in her world.
(c) Equal representation.
(d) A right to speak.
5. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Free expression.
(b) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(c) Educational opportunities.
6. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's maid.
(b) A black foster mother.
(c) Her mother's sister.
(d) Her father's parents.
7. What does Bessie think that the blacks in Cape Town believe?
(a) They are doomed.
(b) Their culture will survive.
(c) They shall overcome.
(d) The rest of the world will save them.
8. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(b) Her real mother.
(c) Her adoptive mother.
(d) Her father.
9. In "chibuku beer and independence," who sent free beer for the independence celebration?
(a) Cape Town.
10. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(d) Race horses.
11. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Science and spiritualism.
(b) Christianity and Hinduism.
(c) Western and African cultures.
(d) Blacks and whites.
12. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) Only a dream.
(b) A one-sided truce.
13. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(a) Her grandparents home.
(b) Missionary orphanage.
(c) United States.
14. In "The woman from America," who does Bessie say are always in the majority?
(c) The impoverished.
(d) Those who fear.
15. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
(a) Look to God to save them.
(c) Fight against the status quo.
(d) Love their neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startled Bessie in 1965?
2. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
3. How does Bessie describe the people from the place that the American woman hails from?
4. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
5. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)