|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American woman send Bessie?
(a) Happy little notes.
(b) An invitation to her wedding.
(c) A novel to read.
2. What did Bessie have to start doing in 1966?
(a) Take medication.
(b) Report regularly to the police.
(c) Get her manuscript censored.
(d) See a psychiatrist.
3. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(b) Her little piece of hell.
(c) The unholiest place on earth.
(d) A forgotten culture.
4. In "Village people," Bessie states that African peace is what?
(a) Only a dream.
(c) A one-sided truce.
5. In Serowe, what grazes the earth to a shred?
6. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(a) The United States southern racists.
(c) Adolph Hitler.
(d) Their ancestors.
7. What did Bessie learn to hate?
(a) The social service system.
(d) The legal system.
8. Where was Bessie born?
(a) Medical hospital.
(b) Her mother's home.
(c) The horse stables.
(d) In a mental hospital.
9. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother was dying.
(b) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(c) Her mother was insane.
(d) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
10. Bessie had stories to tell but couldn't write them. Why?
(a) She panicked and felt dead inside.
(b) People ridiculed her.
(c) She got angry over issues and her ideas died away.
(d) No one was interested in them.
11. What did Bessie create in Botswana?
(a) Her ideal life.
(b) A published manuscript.
(c) A new family.
(d) A large garden.
12. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(a) Visit friends.
(b) Visit her adoptive mother.
(d) Practice cultural customs.
13. How do most black friends in South Africa meet?
(a) Political activism events.
(d) Family and friends.
14. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
(c) With pride.
15. In "The woman from America," what state in America is the woman from?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Snowball?
2. Bessie states that "in her work" everyone has what?
3. Who is Bessie referring to in "A Gentle People"?
4. What is the basic landscape of Botswana?
5. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)