|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Adhere to western culture.
(c) Practice Christianity.
(d) Be controlled.
2. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(b) Her mother was insane.
(c) Her mother was dying.
(d) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
3. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her mother's sister.
(b) A black foster mother.
(c) Her father's parents.
(d) Her mother's maid.
4. In 1964, where did Bessie move to?
(b) Cape Town.
5. In "The old woman," what is Bessie offered as thanks for feeding the woman?
(a) A pail of water.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A meal.
6. Technologies and ideas in South Africa generally filter in from where?
(a) United States.
(c) North Africa.
7. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
(b) Their ancestors.
(c) Adolph Hitler.
(d) The United States southern racists.
8. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
9. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Western and African cultures.
(b) Science and spiritualism.
(c) Blacks and whites.
(d) Christianity and Hinduism.
10. Who is Bessie referring to in "A Gentle People"?
(a) The children.
(b) The white people of Cape Town.
(c) The missionaries.
(d) The black people of Cape Town.
11. According to Bessie, the South Africans have been living in exclusive compartments for so long that they are what?
(b) Out of touch.
(c) An isolated people.
(d) Afraid of each other.
12. Bessie says that the African people want to develop how?
(a) With pride.
13. What does Bessie call Southern Africa?
(b) Her little piece of hell.
(c) The unholiest place on earth.
(d) A forgotten culture.
14. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
(a) She had to leave the country.
(b) Her father was a criminal.
(c) Her mother was white.
(d) She was a ward of the state.
15. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(d) Race horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startled Bessie in 1965?
2. What race was Bessie's father?
3. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
4. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
5. What does Bessie state that the South African blacks hoard?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)