|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, In Exile, Botswana, 1964-1979, Preface, Sketches.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bessie enjoy that she feels South Africa denied her?
(a) Repetition and simplicity in life.
(c) Educational opportunities.
(d) Free expression.
2. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(b) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(c) Her mother was dying.
(d) Her mother was insane.
3. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Adhere to western culture.
(b) Be controlled.
(d) Practice Christianity.
4. According to Bessie, what do the South African blacks possess that evens out all their downfalls?
(a) Innocent simplicity.
(b) Love and warmth.
(c) Deep respect for the culture.
(d) Fire within.
5. What did Bessie create in Botswana?
(a) A new family.
(b) A large garden.
(c) Her ideal life.
(d) A published manuscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie described her friend, Snowball, as perfectly black except for his what?
2. Who does Bessie think the Afrikaner race will one day emulate?
3. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
4. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
5. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)