|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Beginnings, South Africa, 1937-1964.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Letter from South Africa," what do may refugees not want to do?
(a) Be controlled.
(c) Practice Christianity.
(d) Adhere to western culture.
2. What did their landlady do to Snowball despite Bessie's protests?
(a) Made him clean.
(b) Mistreated him.
(c) Kicked him out.
(d) Cut his hair.
3. What race was Bessie's father?
4. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her adoptive mother.
(c) Her real mother.
5. What additional information did the social worker tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother wanted nothing to do with her.
(b) Her mother was dying.
(c) Her parents wanted her to leave the country.
(d) Her mother was insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bessie referring to in "A Gentle People"?
2. How did Bessie define culture?
3. What did Bessie learn to hate?
4. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
5. How does Bessie describe the Cape Town whites?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)