|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Beginnings, South Africa, 1937-1964.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Bessie's opinion, South African refugees are generally, what?
(c) Fed up.
2. Why does Bessie believe that the artist Gladys Mgudlandlu is so successful?
(a) Her art subjects are all local.
(b) Her "escapism" style appeals to oppressed people.
(c) Her art sales benefit the community.
(d) She is very vocal about oppression.
3. What was the trend in Atteridgeville in 1964?
(a) Young people all leaving.
(b) Cultural indifference.
(c) Massive poverty.
(d) Having babies out of wedlock.
4. What does Bessie call Gladys Mgudlandlu?
(a) The people's savior.
(b) The exuberant innocent.
(c) The ample artist.
(d) The innocent escapist.
5. What does Snowball believe can co-exist?
(a) Science and spiritualism.
(b) Christianity and Hinduism.
(c) Western and African cultures.
(d) Blacks and whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1963, what did Bessie encourage her readers to do?
2. What did Bessie learn to hate?
3. According to Bessie, the blacks of Cape Town accept hell to have what?
4. What does Bessie feel is the most important aspect to having friends in South Africa?
5. Who raised Bessie?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)