|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, In Exile, Botswana, 1964-1979, Essays.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the American woman come to Africa?
(a) Research for a book.
(b) To be with her husband.
(c) To get away from her family.
2. In "African religions," why did Bessie say that most of Asia was blanked out as barbaric in her school's geography book?
(a) Asia was mostly unknown, back then.
(b) They were difficult to convert to Christianity.
(c) They were not democratic.
(d) They were not considered civilized.
3. What is a "bogadi," in African culture?
(a) Religious statue.
(b) Type of bread.
(c) Village square.
(d) Bride price.
4. Bogadi marriages are arranged to retain what?
(c) Suppression of women.
(d) Cattle wealth.
5. In African culture, what can't a woman do to their husband?
(a) Divorce them.
(b) Strike them.
(c) Berate them.
(d) Lodge complaints against them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bessie describe the people from the place that the American woman hails from?
2. Bessie views the author, Pasternak, as the liberator of what?
3. In "Despite broken bondage . . .," in the old days a woman was only regarded as sacred if she what?
4. According to Bessie, what do African people push aside?
5. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)