|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, In Exile, Botswana, 1964-1979, Notes on Novels.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie feel that the African people need, for their civilization?
(c) Largeness of heart.
2. In Chapter2, how does Bessie describe her third novel, "A Question of Power"?
(a) The most satisfying.
(b) Difficult to write.
(c) A work of excruciating detail.
(d) Intensely personal and private.
3. Bessie feels that the main function of a writer is to communicate what?
(a) One's passion.
(c) True life.
(d) A sense of wonder.
4. In Chapter 2, Bessie believes that God is embodied in whom?
(a) The American woman.
(b) The children.
(c) The souls of all black Africans.
(d) Her adoptive mother.
5. Which of Bessie's novels is the only one that truly reflects a black South African viewpoint?
(b) When Rain Clouds Gather.
(d) A Question of Power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Bessie say is the root of traditional African life?
2. In "Despite broken bondage . . .," in the old days a woman was only regarded as sacred if she what?
3. Bessie feels that the South African blacks have a desperate longing to bring out their own what?
4. In "Despite broken bondage . . .," what does Bessie say the emancipation of women in Botswana was rooted in?
5. In "A Question of Power," Bessie states that what can lead a people or a nation into a terrible abyss of destruction?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)