Chapter 1, Beginnings, South Africa, 1937-1964
1. Bessie Head was born in what year?
2. Where was Bessie born?
(a) Her mother's home.
(b) The horse stables.
(c) Medical hospital.
(d) In a mental hospital.
3. What race was Bessie's mother?
4. What race was Bessie's father?
5. Bessie says that she grew up knowing only whom?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her real mother.
(d) Her adoptive mother.
6. What did Bessie's father take care of?
(c) Race horses.
7. Who raised Bessie?
(a) Her father's parents.
(b) A black foster mother.
(c) Her mother's maid.
(d) Her mother's sister.
8. Where was Bessie sent at age 13?
(a) United States.
(b) Missionary orphanage.
(d) Her grandparents home.
9. What was Bessie forbidden to do on holidays?
(b) Practice cultural customs.
(c) Visit friends.
(d) Visit her adoptive mother.
10. What did the Durban Magistrate Court tell Bessie?
(a) Her mother was white.
(b) She had to leave the country.
(c) She was a ward of the state.
(d) Her father was a criminal.
This section contains 3,657 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)