* Bessie Head was born July 6, 1937.
* Bessie was born at Pietermaritzburg Mental Hospital in South Africa where her mother was a patient.
* Bessie's mother was a white, upper class woman, and her father a black stable manager.
* Bessie was given up for adoption to a black family.
* At age 13, Bessie was sent to a missionary orphanage.
* Bessie discovered the library there and developed a life-long love of books and writing.
* The orphange refused to let Bessie visit her adoptive family during school holidays, which devastated her.
* The court and the missionaries told Bessie that her real mother was white and that she was insane, which Bessie may be someday, also, if she isn't careful.
* Bessie developed a hatred for missionaries and Christianity and never went to church again.
* Bessie moved to various cities in South Africa and began a journalism career.
* In "Let Me...
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)