|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ged developed?
2. On which island does Ged stop next?
3. Where does Ged wake up?
4. What does the seller ask for in return for the boat?
5. Why is Pechvarry so unhappy with his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ged know he is going in the right direction?
2. What does it show that Ged respects the couple's decision to stay on the island?
3. Is Ged romantically interested in Yarrow?
4. Is it significant that Ged turns into a hawk?
5. In what way does Ged show he is still not mature enough to defeat the Shadow?
6. What does Ged learn from his confrontation with Skiorh?
7. Why is it significant Ged goes back to see his original teacher?
8. What does Vetch's comment that he was there in beginning so he should be there in the end, mean in context of the story?
9. What is significant about the reintroduction of Vetch?
10. How is it important to the story that Ged's mother died during his early childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is generally told from the point of view of the main character Ged, but on two separate occasions, Le Guin switches point of view. The first time it switches to Ogion when Ged is a hawk and the second time it switches to Vetch when Ged is busy fighting the Shadow. Taking one of these examples, answer the following questions.
1) How does the meaning of the story change when Le Guin switches point of view?
2) Why does Le Guin use this character's point of view and not any of the other characters?
3) Imagine you are the shadow. What do you think his point of view would be? Is he completely evil? Is he as scared as Ged?
Essay Topic 2
When Ged visits Iffish, he says he says he has a good feeling about the place before meeting his good friend Vetch. Why do you think Ged likes the town so much? Does the town reflect Vetch's personality? If so what similarity does the setting have with Vetch's character?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following themes from the story and discuss how it contributes to the story's meaning.
2) Coming of Age
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)