|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vetch worried about when he finds Ged?
2. What does the seller ask for in return for the boat?
3. What does Ged turn himself into to fight the birds?
4. What saves Ged from drowning?
5. Why does Ged want to stay in Atowell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vetch's comment that he was there in beginning so he should be there in the end, mean in context of the story?
2. Why do you think Ged is initially reluctant to allow his friend to come with him?
3. How does Ged's reaction to the town's celebration show a change in his character?
4. Why does LeGuin change the point of view from Ged to Ogion?
5. Why is it significant that Ged and Vetch travel through uncharted seas?
6. What does it show that Ged respects the couple's decision to stay on the island?
7. What does Ged learn from his confrontation with Skiorh?
8. Why do you think the Shadow runs away after Ged tries to grab it?
9. What does it symbolize that Ged cannot get back to Roke?
10. How does Ged realize the Shadow's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ged visits Iffish, he says he says he has a good feeling about the place before meeting his good friend Vetch. Why do you think Ged likes the town so much? Does the town reflect Vetch's personality? If so what similarity does the setting have with Vetch's character?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think would have happened to Ged if the shadow had defeated him? Does Le Guin hint at what this alternative life would be like?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ged has two choices--join the dark side or join the good side.
1) Who represents the good and dark sides in each part of the novel? What is each side working towards? Is Ged ever tempted to join the dark side?
2) Why do you think the Shadow appears? Does Le Guin foreshadow its presence? Is so, how?
3) What is it about Ged's character and upbringing that means he has to fight and defeat his darkside? Why do none of the other characters seem to have a similar problem?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)