|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person whom the Main Character discovers at the unlucky bend in the road admit to having?
2. Where does the man begin his part of the search for the sheep?
3. During the naming discussion in Chapter 24, what object is mentioned as a thing that is not named?
4. On what basis do the Girlfriend and the Main Character select a hotel to stay in?
5. How do the Main Character and the Girlfriend get to the station after the cat is picked up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the caretaker's feelings about escorting the Main Character and the Girlfriend up that mountain.
2. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
3. Was the Main Character a good choice for the Strange Man's sheep finding mission?
4. Is the Cat or the Main Character more at home in the world? Please fully support your answer.
5. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
6. How does the Limo Driver feel about the cat?
7. How are the sheep at the sheep farm similar to the people that the Sheep is trying to control?
8. Explain how the Sheep Professor came to his current state of being.
9. How does the Sheep Professor's information help the Main Character on his quest?
10. Who is responsible for the Strange Man's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The labels used instead of names send strong messages about the characters in A Wild Sheep Chase. Select three characters and analyze the message sent by the label given by the author. Explain how the story would be different if names were used.
Essay Topic 2
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
Essay Topic 3
A Wild Sheep Chase uses animal to make specific comments on humanity.
1) Define the author's apparent opinion on humans and animals.
2) Use the animals in the novel to explain the author's views on authority.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)