|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Main Character do on the seventh day of the trip to help locate the Rat?
2. What does the mirror reveal about the Sheep Man?
3. What happened to the Sheep Professor in 1935?
4. Who starts speaking to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38?
5. Who do the Main Character and the Girlfriend discover is waiting when they arrive at the villa on the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does the Sheep Man give for the Girlfriend's disappearance?
2. Was the Main Character a good choice for the Strange Man's sheep finding mission?
3. How are the sheep at the sheep farm similar to the people that the Sheep is trying to control?
4. Explain how the Sheep Professor came to his current state of being.
5. How does the Limo Driver feel about the cat?
6. Is the Limo Driver an intelligent man?
7. Describe the Dolphin Hotel.
8. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
9. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
10. Do the Girlfriend's ears help the quest while staying at the Dolphin Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you feel makes the greatest sacrifice in the novel? Analyze and support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)