|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Territorial Government name the area where the Sheep Professor's homestead is located?
2. Whom is the Kipper referred to in the name of Chapter 24?
3. On what basis do the Girlfriend and the Main Character select a hotel to stay in?
4. What vehicle is sent to pick up the cat?
5. How does the person who picks up the cat feel about caring for the cat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rat able to destroy the Sheep?
2. How is isolation and alienation of the characters apparent in Chapters 25 and 26?
3. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
4. What is the importance of time to the characters in Chapter 24?
5. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
6. Do the Girlfriend's ears help the quest while staying at the Dolphin Hotel?
7. Describe the Dolphin Hotel.
8. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
9. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
10. What factors contribute to the eerie feeling of the area near the villa in Junitaki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Wild Sheep Chase uses animal to make specific comments on humanity.
1) Define the author's apparent opinion on humans and animals.
2) Use the animals in the novel to explain the author's views on authority.
Essay Topic 2
Both the Rat and the Main Character are weak men who undergo transformations during the story.
1) By the end of A Wild Sheep Chase, do you consider the Main Character or the Rat to be the better person?
2) Which character undergoes the greater transformation?
3) If the Rat had come out of this situation alive, what do you think his relationship to the Main Character would be like?
Essay Topic 3
The mystical quality of the novel is enhanced by the power of certain characters that drive the plot in specific directions.
1) Is the Main Character helped on his journey in A Wild Sheep Chase by divine guidance or is he merely a pawn of the Strange Man?
2) How would the story be different without the girlfriend?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)