|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Sheep Professor tell the Main Character and the Girlfriend that it is considered a blessing for a sheep to enter a human?
2. What does the caretaker at the ranch tell the Main Character that he must do to the sheep on the day of his visit?
3. What does the Territorial Government name the area where the Sheep Professor's homestead is located?
4. During the naming discussion in Chapter 24, what object is mentioned as a thing that is not named?
5. Why does the Sheep Man tell the Main Character that he fled to the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rat able to destroy the Sheep?
2. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
3. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
4. How does the Limo Driver feel about the cat?
5. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
6. What explanation does the Sheep Man give for the Girlfriend's disappearance?
7. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
8. Describe the Dolphin Hotel.
9. Who is responsible for the Strange Man's death?
10. Was the Main Character a good choice for the Strange Man's sheep finding mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Wild Sheep Chase sends a message about mediocrity and authority. Explain the connection between the two themes and the characters in the novel. Describe which characters represent mediocrity, rising above it and authority and its use or abuse. Analyze the message the author is trying to send.
Essay Topic 2
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)