|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Main Character and the Girlfriend eat after arriving at the station in Chapter 24?
2. Where did the Sheep Professor once work?
3. What does the caretaker at the ranch tell the Main Character that he must do to the sheep on the day of his visit?
4. In what condition is the Main Character at the beginning of Chapter 41?
5. Why does the Sheep Man tell the Main Character that he fled to the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dolphin Hotel.
2. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
3. Who is responsible for the Strange Man's death?
4. Why is the Sheep able to control the Rat?
5. Explain how the Sheep Professor came to his current state of being.
6. Explain the caretaker's feelings about escorting the Main Character and the Girlfriend up that mountain.
7. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
8. What factors contribute to the eerie feeling of the area near the villa in Junitaki?
9. Is the Cat or the Main Character more at home in the world? Please fully support your answer.
10. What is the importance of time to the characters in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, the Caretaker tells the Main Character that is easy to care for 200 sheep because they are cooperative and want to be led. How does this statement work as a metaphor for the mediocrity of humanity in A Wild Sheep Chase? Write an analytical response using support from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Which chapter names are the best and the worst in A Wild Sheep Chase? Support your answer with a discussion of the effect of the title as it relates to themes and literary styles that may include foreshadowing, symbolism, character growth, plot development or anything else you find important to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)