|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits, after revealing the Rat's situation, to having sent the Girlfriend away?
2. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character that she has learned after their first day of research and hunting for the sheep?
3. What does the Main Character find outside of the villa that indicates someone, other than the Rat, has been there?
4. What object does the Main Character discover in a book at the villa while he is waiting for the Rat to arrive?
5. Where does the man begin his part of the search for the sheep?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, the Caretaker tells the Main Character that is easy to care for 200 sheep because they are cooperative and want to be led. How does this statement work as a metaphor for the mediocrity of humanity in A Wild Sheep Chase? Write an analytical response using support from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that A Wild Sheep Chase is told from a strictly historical perspective rather that with the surreal quality. In other words, that science is used to explain any mystical events in the novel. How would this impact the message of the story, the growth of the characters and the experience of the readers? Do you feel this could be effectively accomplished?
Essay Topic 3
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)