|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the Sheep Professor?
2. What does the person who speaks to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38 tell him about the Rat?
3. What is the person who picks up the cat amazed to discover?
4. Who does the Main Character discover is originally from Hokkaido?
5. Whom is the Kipper referred to in the name of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the Girlfriend's ears help the quest while staying at the Dolphin Hotel?
2. Is the Cat or the Main Character more at home in the world? Please fully support your answer.
3. What explanation does the Sheep Man give for the Girlfriend's disappearance?
4. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
5. Is the Limo Driver an intelligent man?
6. How does the Sheep Professor's information help the Main Character on his quest?
7. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
8. Who is responsible for the Strange Man's death?
9. Why is the Rat able to destroy the Sheep?
10. What is the importance of time to the characters in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mystical quality of the novel is enhanced by the power of certain characters that drive the plot in specific directions.
1) Is the Main Character helped on his journey in A Wild Sheep Chase by divine guidance or is he merely a pawn of the Strange Man?
2) How would the story be different without the girlfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism in A Wild Sheep Chase sends many messages involving themes like alienation, authority, and transformation. Select three items of symbolism and for each:
1) Describe what theme or idea they symbolize.
2) Analyze the use of that object to send a message at that point in the novel.
3) Relate the object to the author's use of surrealism in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)