|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who agrees to pick up the Main Character and the Girlfriend at 8:00 the next morning in Chapter 31 warn him?
2. Where does the Sheep Professor tell the Main Character and the Girlfriend that it is considered a blessing for a sheep to enter a human?
3. What strategy do the Girlfriend and the Main Character come up with for hunting the sheep?
4. Who does the caretaker say is living in the home on the sheep ranch that the Main Character visits in Chapter 30?
5. Who says that names are given to things with purpose that are familiar and not mass produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rat able to destroy the Sheep?
2. How are the sheep at the sheep farm similar to the people that the Sheep is trying to control?
3. Why is the Sheep able to control the Rat?
4. Explain the caretaker's feelings about escorting the Main Character and the Girlfriend up that mountain.
5. Aside from her powerful ears, is the Girlfriend a help or a hindrance to the Main Character?
6. How is isolation and alienation of the characters apparent in Chapters 25 and 26?
7. What factors contribute to the eerie feeling of the area near the villa in Junitaki?
8. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
9. Is the Limo Driver an intelligent man?
10. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you feel makes the greatest sacrifice in the novel? Analyze and support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A Wild Sheep Chase sends a message about mediocrity and authority. Explain the connection between the two themes and the characters in the novel. Describe which characters represent mediocrity, rising above it and authority and its use or abuse. Analyze the message the author is trying to send.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in A Wild Sheep Chase l flounder looking for a sense of direction and purpose while others are strongly motivated and driven by a passionate purpose.
1) How does having a sense of purpose affect a character's life experience in this novel?
2) Compare and contrast two example in which having a sense of purpose are positive and negative events for specific characters in the book.
3) Analyze how a sense of purpose relates to happiness for the characters in this story.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)