|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the Sheep Professor?
2. Where did the Sheep Professor once work?
3. Why does the caretaker admit that he will not take the Main Character and the Girlfriend any further up the mountain road?
4. What does the Sheep Professor tell Main Character and the Girlfriend that the sheep plans to do?
5. During the naming discussion in Chapter 24, what object is mentioned as a thing that is not named?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the Limo Driver an intelligent man?
2. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
3. Explain the caretaker's feelings about escorting the Main Character and the Girlfriend up that mountain.
4. Is the Sheep Man a part of the physical or the spiritual world?
5. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
6. Is the Cat or the Main Character more at home in the world? Please fully support your answer.
7. What explanation does the Sheep Man give for the Girlfriend's disappearance?
8. Explain how the Sheep Professor came to his current state of being.
9. How does the Sheep Professor's information help the Main Character on his quest?
10. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Both the Rat and the Main Character are weak men who undergo transformations during the story.
1) By the end of A Wild Sheep Chase, do you consider the Main Character or the Rat to be the better person?
2) Which character undergoes the greater transformation?
3) If the Rat had come out of this situation alive, what do you think his relationship to the Main Character would be like?
Essay Topic 3
A Wild Sheep Chase sends a message about mediocrity and authority. Explain the connection between the two themes and the characters in the novel. Describe which characters represent mediocrity, rising above it and authority and its use or abuse. Analyze the message the author is trying to send.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)