|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Main Character say has happened to his business partner over the past several years?
2. Who tells the Main Character that there are only 5,000 sheep in Japan?
3. Whom does the Strange Man say he represents?
4. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character about the object seen through the magnifying glass?
5. What does the Main Character dream about in the limo on the way to the Boss's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Limo Driver.
2. How important is the cat to the Main Character?
3. How does the Main Character feel about the death of his former lover?
4. Why do the Main Character and the Business Partner disagree on the direction of their business?
5. What is the importance of the Whale's Penis?
6. Is the Main Character a proactive or a reactive person?
7. Why are sheep important in Japan's history?
8. What is the meaning of the chapter title "Wednesday Afternoon Picnic?"
9. How does the Boss come to gain his power?
10. Does the Main Character want to go on the mission for the sheep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Wild Sheep Chase sends a message about mediocrity and authority. Explain the connection between the two themes and the characters in the novel. Describe which characters represent mediocrity, rising above it and authority and its use or abuse. Analyze the message the author is trying to send.
Essay Topic 2
The Will, the Gain, and the empire define the existence of the Sheep in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Explain how the Will, the Gain, and the empire come into existence in the novel.
2) Explain what situations could have existed or occurred that would have prevented these things from occurring.
3) Analyze how the Will, the Gain, and the empire in the novel relate to the world you live in.
Essay Topic 3
Select three characters from the novel, and explain how each plays a significant role in the awakening and character development of the Main Character.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)