|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the Main Character's apartment after he makes his purchase in Chapter 22?
2. What does the Strange Man give to the Main Character in Chapter 18 before telling him to leave?
3. For what length of time does the Strange Man tell the Main Character that he will leave him alone?
4. What does the Main Character say about honest work in Chapter 7?
5. Where does the opening scene of the novel occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the Main Character through his conversations with J and the Rat's female friend?
2. Does the Main Character respect the former lover who dies in Chapter 1?
3. Does the Main Character flaunt the authority of the Strange Man?
4. Why is the sex between the Main Character and the woman with the beautiful ears important?
5. Why do the Main Character and the Business Partner disagree on the direction of their business?
6. Describe the location of the Boss's home.
7. Why does the ex-wife not want the Main Character to deliver her belongings to her new home?
8. How does the Strange Man convince the Business Partner to meet his demands?
9. Why are sheep important in Japan's history?
10. Describe the mystery surrounding the Boss's illness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that A Wild Sheep Chase is told from a strictly historical perspective rather that with the surreal quality. In other words, that science is used to explain any mystical events in the novel. How would this impact the message of the story, the growth of the characters and the experience of the readers? Do you feel this could be effectively accomplished?
Essay Topic 2
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The mystical quality of the novel is enhanced by the power of certain characters that drive the plot in specific directions.
1) Is the Main Character helped on his journey in A Wild Sheep Chase by divine guidance or is he merely a pawn of the Strange Man?
2) How would the story be different without the girlfriend?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)