|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does the Boss have?
2. What political party is under the Boss's control?
3. For how long does the Main Character tell the Business Partner that he will be gone?
4. Who owns the bar that the Main Character visits in carrying out the Rat's request?
5. What does the Main Character say has happened to his business partner over the past several years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the way the Main Character responds to the death of his former lover in Chapter 1 reveal about him?
2. Describe the mystery surrounding the Boss's illness.
3. How important is the cat to the Main Character?
4. What do the woman's beautiful ears indicate about her?
5. What is the significance of the Rat's second letter?
6. Is the Boss a respectable person?
7. How does the Strange Man continue to threaten the Main Character in Chapter 22?
8. What evidence is there in Chapter 2 that the Main Character and his ex-wife still care for each other?
9. How does the Boss come to gain his power?
10. Does the Main Character flaunt the authority of the Strange Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 28, the Caretaker tells the Main Character that is easy to care for 200 sheep because they are cooperative and want to be led. How does this statement work as a metaphor for the mediocrity of humanity in A Wild Sheep Chase? Write an analytical response using support from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The mystical quality of the novel is enhanced by the power of certain characters that drive the plot in specific directions.
1) Is the Main Character helped on his journey in A Wild Sheep Chase by divine guidance or is he merely a pawn of the Strange Man?
2) How would the story be different without the girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
The Main Character goes through an awakening during the course of A Wild Sheep Chase. Analyze this awakening with specific events from the story. Consider symbolism, setting and relationships used to further the character development.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)