|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who is at the Main Character's apartment in Chapter 2 tell him?
2. How old was the Main Character when he knew the person who dies in Chapter 1?
3. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
4. Where are they when the Girlfriend first shows the Main Character her ears?
5. Who is the first person that the Main Character tries to phone after Limo Driver on his return from the Boss's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Main Character's dream the first time he rides in the Boss's limo.
2. Describe the Business Partner.
3. Describe the Strange Man.
4. What is the importance of the Whale's Penis?
5. What evidence is there in Chapter 2 that the Main Character and his ex-wife still care for each other?
6. Describe the Rat's relationship to the Main Character.
7. How does the Boss come to gain his power?
8. Why is the sex between the Main Character and the woman with the beautiful ears important?
9. How does the Strange Man convince the Business Partner to meet his demands?
10. Does the Main Character respect the former lover who dies in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Many instances of foreshadowing are used in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is related to mysticism or power and explain its significance.
2) Select an instance of foreshadowing that is simply a literary technique and is unrelated to the power of a character or object. Explain its significance.
3) Which instance of foreshadowing is more effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Both the Rat and the Main Character are weak men who undergo transformations during the story.
1) By the end of A Wild Sheep Chase, do you consider the Main Character or the Rat to be the better person?
2) Which character undergoes the greater transformation?
3) If the Rat had come out of this situation alive, what do you think his relationship to the Main Character would be like?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)