|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Main Character say that his relationship with his ex-wife is over?
2. What political party is under the Boss's control?
3. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character during their phone call in Chapter 22?
4. Whom does the Main Character live with?
5. How does the Main Character react the first time he sees the Girlfriend's ears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the Main Character and his ex-wife.
2. Is the Limo Driver an intelligent man?
3. What is the importance of the slip in Chapter 3?
4. Is the Boss a respectable person?
5. Is the Girlfriend a passive person?
6. Who is responsible for the Strange Man's death?
7. Does the Main Character trust his new girlfriend?
8. Describe the Main Character's efforts to connect with others in Chapters 19 through 21.
9. Why is the Sheep able to control the Rat?
10. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The labels used instead of names send strong messages about the characters in A Wild Sheep Chase. Select three characters and analyze the message sent by the label given by the author. Explain how the story would be different if names were used.
Essay Topic 2
Which chapter names are the best and the worst in A Wild Sheep Chase? Support your answer with a discussion of the effect of the title as it relates to themes and literary styles that may include foreshadowing, symbolism, character growth, plot development or anything else you find important to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)