|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three occupations of the Girlfriend?
2. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character just before she shows him her ears for the first time?
3. What does the Strange Man tell the Business Partner to do with the object he gives him?
4. Where does the opening scene of the novel occur?
5. How does the Strange Man respond to the Main Character's attempts at small talk during their phone call in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Whale's Penis?
2. What is the meaning of the chapter title "Wednesday Afternoon Picnic?"
3. Does the Main Character care about the future of the Business Partner?
4. Is the Boss a respectable person?
5. How does the Strange Man continue to threaten the Main Character in Chapter 22?
6. Why are sheep important in Japan's history?
7. Does the Main Character flaunt the authority of the Strange Man?
8. What is the significance of the Rat's second letter?
9. Describe the location of the Boss's home.
10. Is the Girlfriend a passive person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haruki Murakami makes specific choices about what information to include about each character in A Wild Sheep Chase.
1) Imagine that the characters of J, the Business Partner, or the Girl Who'd Sleep with Anyone were not included in the story and explain the impact this would have on the story.
2) What additional information about any single character would have significantly changed the novel? Explain.
3) Is the ex-wife, the Business Partner or the Limo Driver most important to the novel's message? Explain with support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Select three characters from the novel, and explain how each plays a significant role in the awakening and character development of the Main Character.
Essay Topic 3
The mystical quality of the novel is enhanced by the power of certain characters that drive the plot in specific directions.
1) Is the Main Character helped on his journey in A Wild Sheep Chase by divine guidance or is he merely a pawn of the Strange Man?
2) How would the story be different without the girlfriend?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)