|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Sheep Man tell the Main Character that he fled to the mountains?
(a) To avoid the war.
(b) To follow the Sheep.
(c) He worked for the Ministry of Forestry and Agriculture.
(d) For love.
2. What vehicle is sent to pick up the cat?
(a) An animal transport bus.
(b) A dilapidated taxicab.
(c) The Boss's Limo.
(d) The Strange Man's sleek black sedan.
3. How do the Girlfriend and the Main Character feel about the Limo Driver?
(a) They dislike him.
(b) They think he is hiding something.
(c) They like him.
(d) They are ambivalent towards him.
4. Where does the Main Character find sheep wool?
(a) In a pillowcase.
(b) In a car in the garage.
(c) Outside the villa.
(d) In the Girlfriend's suitcase.
5. Where does the visitor to the villa tell the Main Character that the Rat is located?
(a) He says the Rat is dead.
(b) At the Dolphin Hotel.
(c) He says he does not know.
(d) In the garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose suicide is revealed in Part 8?
2. What is the person who picks up the cat amazed to discover?
3. During the naming discussion in Chapter 24, what object is mentioned as a thing that is not named?
4. What is the Main Character doing on the tenth day of his visit when the Sheep Man returns to the villa?
5. Why does the caretaker admit that he will not take the Main Character and the Girlfriend any further up the mountain road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the caretaker's feelings about escorting the Main Character and the Girlfriend up that mountain.
2. What is the importance of time to the characters in Chapter 24?
3. How is isolation and alienation of the characters apparent in Chapters 25 and 26?
4. Is the Cat or the Main Character more at home in the world? Please fully support your answer.
5. How are the sheep at the sheep farm similar to the people that the Sheep is trying to control?
6. How does the Main Character react to the Girlfriend's sudden disappearance?
7. Why is the Sheep able to control the Rat?
8. What indicates that the Main Character's journey to Junitaki may be a hazardous one?
9. Why does the Main Character feel that he is being used as a pawn?
10. How does the Sheep Professor's information help the Main Character on his quest?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)