|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Main Character do when he cannot reach either of the two people he tries to phone after returning from the Boss's home?
(a) Orders more beer.
(b) Buys some wool socks.
(c) Goes to a movie.
(d) Calls a taxi.
2. What does the Strange Man want the Main Character to tell him in Chapter 17?
(a) The Rat's location.
(b) Where he obtained the sheep photo.
(c) How he met the Girlfriend.
(d) How he met the Rat.
3. Who is the second person that the Main Character tries to phone after Limo Driver on his return from the Boss's home?
(a) The Girlfriend.
(b) The Business Partner.
(d) His ex-wife.
4. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character about her ears?
(a) They bring her great luck.
(b) She gets a high off showing them.
(c) She rarely displays them.
(d) They bring her great misery.
5. What is the name of the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(b) Not revealed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to as the Boss?
2. What best describes the Girlfriend's feelings about her ears?
3. From where does the postmark indicate that the Rat's first letter is sent?
4. What does the Main Character dream about in the limo on the way to the Boss's house?
5. How does the Main Character first learn of the death in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Boss come to gain his power?
2. Does anyone escape his or her association with the Sheep unscathed?
3. What is the cause of the friction between the Strange Man and the Main Character?
4. What is revealed about the Main Character through his conversations with J and the Rat's female friend?
5. How is isolation and alienation of the characters apparent in Chapters 25 and 26?
6. Why is the sex between the Main Character and the woman with the beautiful ears important?
7. How does the Main Character feel about the death of his former lover?
8. Why are sheep important in Japan's history?
9. Describe the Rat's relationship to the Main Character.
10. How does the Strange Man continue to threaten the Main Character in Chapter 22?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)