|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who admits, after revealing the Rat's situation, to having sent the Girlfriend away?
(a) The Rat.
(b) The Sheep.
(c) The Strange Man.
(d) The Boss.
2. What object does the Main Character discover in a book at the villa while he is waiting for the Rat to arrive?
(a) A paper-thin mirror.
(b) The bulletin with the starred sheep.
(c) The Strange Man's business card.
(d) The ad he submitted seeking the Rat.
3. What does the caretaker at the ranch tell the Main Character that he must do to the sheep on the day of his visit?
(a) Read to them.
(b) Shear them.
(c) Brand them.
(d) Disinfect them.
4. What do the Girlfriend and the Main Character do after planning their strategy for hunting the sheep?
(a) Buy and read books on sheep from the bookstore.
(b) Interview the manager of the Ovine Theater.
(c) Go to a double feature at the theater.
(d) Have dinner with the Sheep Lady.
5. What best describes the Sheep Professor?
(a) Meticulously dressed and formal.
(b) Slim with overgrown and graying hair.
(c) Bald, short and timid.
(d) Large frame, long white hair and stinky.
6. What does the Main Character find outside of the villa that indicates someone, other than the Rat, has been there?
(a) A message stapled to a tree.
(b) Cigarette butts.
(c) A woman's glove.
(d) Sled tracks.
7. In what condition is the Main Character at the beginning of Chapter 41?
(a) He is sick with a fever and vomiting.
(b) He is full of hope for the first time in years.
(c) He is drunk and hung-over.
(d) He is sobbing and filled with despair.
8. Whom does the Main Character discover at the unlucky bend in the road?
(a) The Girlfriend.
(b) The Strange Man.
(c) The Sheep Man.
(d) The Sheep.
9. What was the Dolphin Hotel before it was a hotel?
(a) A brothel.
(b) A public clinic.
(c) Ovine Hall.
(d) A public library.
10. How many head of sheep does the livestock inspector say are in the town of Junitaki?
11. What do the Main Character and the Girlfriend discuss after arriving at the station in Chapter 24?
(a) God's inefficiencies.
(b) Time saved by their mode of transportation.
(c) The Girlfriend's ears.
(d) The downfalls of naming a child.
12. What best describes the appearance of the Dolphin Hotel?
(a) Opulent and beautiful.
(b) Seedy and slightly intimidating.
(c) Old and rundown.
(d) Old, but well cared for.
13. Where did the Sheep Professor once work?
(a) The Ministry of Forestry and Agriculture.
(b) The Ministry of Science.
(c) The US Army.
(d) The Japanese Secret Service.
14. What does the mirror reveal about the Sheep Man?
(a) His relationship with the Boss.
(b) His true intentions.
(c) His appearance underneath the sheep costume.
(d) He has no reflection.
15. What do the Main Character, the Girlfriend and the person who comes to pick up the cat discuss early in Chapter 24?
(a) The superiority of animals over humans.
(b) The starred sheep.
(c) The advertising business.
(d) Messages from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person who picks up the cat amazed to discover?
2. What does the Territorial Government name the area where the Sheep Professor's homestead is located?
3. How do the Girlfriend and the Main Character feel about the Limo Driver?
4. What fantasy does the man have as he is cooking dinner in Chapter 35?
5. What does the person who speaks to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38 tell him about the Rat?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)