|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who speaks to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38 tell him about the Rat?
(a) That the Rat needs will need his help tomorrow.
(b) That the Rat is dead.
(c) That the Rat has killed the person who is speaking.
(d) That the Rat is going to kill him.
2. What does the caretaker at the ranch tell the Main Character that he must do to the sheep on the day of his visit?
(a) Shear them.
(b) Read to them.
(c) Brand them.
(d) Disinfect them.
3. On what basis do the Girlfriend and the Main Character select a hotel to stay in?
(a) A recommendation from a local.
(b) Its name.
(c) Its proximity to their location.
(d) The ad in the phone book.
4. During the naming discussion in Chapter 24, what object is mentioned as a thing that is not named?
5. What best describes the appearance of the Dolphin Hotel?
(a) Old, but well cared for.
(b) Seedy and slightly intimidating.
(c) Opulent and beautiful.
(d) Old and rundown.
6. Who is buried in the garage?
(a) The Rat.
(b) The Sheep Man.
(c) The Girlfriend.
(d) The Sheep.
7. Who does the Main Character discover is originally from Hokkaido?
(a) The Boss.
(b) The Strange Man.
(c) The Business Partner.
(d) His grandfather.
8. Who starts speaking to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38?
(a) The Girlfriend.
(b) The Boss.
(c) The Rat.
(d) The Sheep.
9. Why does the Sheep Man tell the Main Character that he fled to the mountains?
(a) He worked for the Ministry of Forestry and Agriculture.
(b) For love.
(c) To follow the Sheep.
(d) To avoid the war.
10. What do the Main Character and the Girlfriend eat after arriving at the station in Chapter 24?
(c) They do not eat. They drink beer.
(d) A snack of peanuts and pretzels.
11. Where does the visitor to the villa tell the Main Character that the Rat is located?
(a) In the garage.
(b) At the Dolphin Hotel.
(c) He says the Rat is dead.
(d) He says he does not know.
12. Whom does the Main Character get to agree to pickup himself and the Girlfriend at 8:00 the next morning in Chapter 31?
(a) The caretaker's son.
(b) A mountain guide.
(c) The caretaker.
(d) The livestock inspector.
13. What do the Main Character, the Girlfriend and the person who comes to pick up the cat discuss early in Chapter 24?
(a) Messages from God.
(b) The advertising business.
(c) The superiority of animals over humans.
(d) The starred sheep.
14. What does the Main Character discover at the unlucky bend in the road?
(a) A brand new jeep.
(b) The road is impassable.
(c) An old red truck.
(d) The road is now paved.
15. What do the Main Character and the Girlfriend discuss after arriving at the station in Chapter 24?
(a) Time saved by their mode of transportation.
(b) The Girlfriend's ears.
(c) God's inefficiencies.
(d) The downfalls of naming a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives the vehicle that arrives to pick up the cat?
2. Where do the Girlfriend and the Main Character find a phone book to look up hotels?
3. Where does the man begin his part of the search for the sheep?
4. What does the Main Character do just before leaving the villa for the last time?
5. After the couple checks into a hotel in Junitaki, what does the Main character do?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)