|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Main Character and the Girlfriend get to the station after the cat is picked up?
(a) They take the Girlfriend's car.
(b) They call a taxicab.
(c) They are taken by the same person who picks up the cat.
(d) The Strange Man sends a different car for them.
2. What do the Girlfriend and the Main Character do after planning their strategy for hunting the sheep?
(a) Interview the manager of the Ovine Theater.
(b) Buy and read books on sheep from the bookstore.
(c) Go to a double feature at the theater.
(d) Have dinner with the Sheep Lady.
3. Whom does the Main Character get to agree to pickup himself and the Girlfriend at 8:00 the next morning in Chapter 31?
(a) A mountain guide.
(b) The caretaker's son.
(c) The caretaker.
(d) The livestock inspector.
4. What does the person who speaks to the Main Character in the darkness in Chapter 38 tell him about the Rat?
(a) That the Rat has killed the person who is speaking.
(b) That the Rat is dead.
(c) That the Rat needs will need his help tomorrow.
(d) That the Rat is going to kill him.
5. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character that she has learned after their first day of research and hunting for the sheep?
(a) There are no maps of a certain area of this region.
(b) The government has stopped tracking sheep.
(c) Some local maps have blacked out portions.
(d) The government will not disclose their tracking data.
6. What does the Main Character do on the seventh day of the trip to help locate the Rat?
(a) Calls the female friend of the Rat's.
(b) Posts fliers around the town.
(c) Asks door to door.
(d) Places an ad in the paper.
7. Who drives the vehicle that arrives to pick up the cat?
(a) An American with a poor accent.
(b) The Limo Driver.
(c) The Strange Man.
(d) The Business Partner's brother-in-law.
8. How do the Girlfriend and the Main Character feel about the Limo Driver?
(a) They dislike him.
(b) They are ambivalent towards him.
(c) They think he is hiding something.
(d) They like him.
9. Who does the Main Character discover is originally from Hokkaido?
(a) The Boss.
(b) The Business Partner.
(c) The Strange Man.
(d) His grandfather.
10. Where do the Girlfriend and the Main Character first go to plan their strategy after exiting their flight?
(a) A movie theater.
(b) A bar.
(c) Their hotel.
(d) A coffee shop.
11. What vehicle is sent to pick up the cat?
(a) An animal transport bus.
(b) The Boss's Limo.
(c) A dilapidated taxicab.
(d) The Strange Man's sleek black sedan.
12. Whose death is revealed by the person the Main Character discovers at the unlucky bend in the road?
(a) The Sheep Professor's.
(b) The Boss's.
(c) The Business Partner's.
(d) The Girlfriend's.
13. On what basis do the Girlfriend and the Main Character select a hotel to stay in?
(a) A recommendation from a local.
(b) Its name.
(c) The ad in the phone book.
(d) Its proximity to their location.
14. Where did the Sheep Professor once work?
(a) The Japanese Secret Service.
(b) The US Army.
(c) The Ministry of Forestry and Agriculture.
(d) The Ministry of Science.
15. What does the visitor to the villa tell the Main Character to do before leaving the next day?
(a) Copy down the data in the book.
(b) Unplug all the appliances.
(c) Collect all the sheep wool he can.
(d) Set the grandfather clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Main Character doing on the tenth day of his visit when the Sheep Man returns to the villa?
2. What does the Main Character find on the mountain road that tells him someone else has been there recently?
3. Whom is the Kipper referred to in the name of Chapter 24?
4. Where does the couple first take a train to in Chapter 29?
5. Who says that names are given to things with purpose that are familiar and not mass produced?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)