|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Main Character realize about his photos at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He is not in any of his photos.
(b) His ex-wife cut out any picture of herself.
(c) He has not taken any photos in three years.
(d) There is a slip on a chair in many of the pictures.
2. What is true of the Main Character when he arrives home in Chapter 2?
(a) He is carrying a large package.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is walking a dog.
3. What does the Strange Man want the Main Character to tell him in Chapter 17?
(a) The Rat's location.
(b) Where he obtained the sheep photo.
(c) How he met the Rat.
(d) How he met the Girlfriend.
4. What does the Main Character say about honest work in Chapter 7?
(a) It is available only to the poor.
(b) It is good for the soul.
(c) It is not profitable.
(d) It does not exist.
5. What does the Main Character tell the Strange Man that he must do in Chapter 23?
(a) Watch the cat.
(b) Come to the office.
(c) Fire the Limo Driver.
(d) Pay for the medicine.
6. What is the trilateral power base that the Boss is said to control?
(a) Bankers, newspapers, and educational institutions.
(b) Scientific institutions, a political party, and gold mines.
(c) Politicians, information services, and stocks.
(d) Japanese imports, publishing, and politicians.
7. Where are they when the Girlfriend first shows the Main Character her ears?
(a) At the ad agency.
(b) At a dinner party given by mutual friends.
(c) In a library.
(d) In an upscale restaurant.
8. What does the Main Character tell the Business Partner he must do in Chapter 23?
(a) Quit drinking.
(b) Watch the cat.
(c) Take care of the books.
(d) Hire an assistant.
9. Who tells the Main Character about a sheep in Chapter 6?
(a) A messenger.
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) The business partner.
10. What best describes the Boss?
(a) A powerful leader of a corrupt family run corporation.
(b) A technological genius with strong liberal viewpoints.
(c) A major player in the conservative publication business.
(d) A major right-wing political figure.
11. What does the person who is at the Main Character's apartment in Chapter 2 tell him?
(a) That he is selfish.
(b) That he owes money.
(c) That she still loves him.
(d) That he is invited to a party.
12. What is in the photograph that the Main Character used in the bulletin?
(a) The Girlfriend and the Boss.
(b) A herd of sheep.
(c) Worms digging in dirt.
(d) A famous and powerful man.
13. Why does the Main Character say that his relationship with his ex-wife is over?
(a) The Main Character is moving.
(b) She had an affair with his best friend.
(c) She is leaving his best friend.
(d) The Main Character is dying.
14. What does the Rat include in his second letter to the Main Character?
(a) A bulletin.
(b) A postcard.
(c) A picture and a check.
(d) An obituary and cash.
15. What does the Main Character say has happened to his business partner over the past several years?
(a) He has become addicted to cocaine.
(b) He has grown weak from a chronic illness.
(c) He has become an alcoholic.
(d) He has become a religious fanatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Limo Driver give to the Main Character?
2. From where does the postmark indicate that the Rat's first letter is sent?
3. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
4. What does the Rat tell the Main Character in his first letter?
5. What relationship does the Main Character share with the person who dies in Chapter 1?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)