|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the Strange Man say he represents?
(a) The Main Character's father.
(b) A friend.
(c) The name on the business card.
(d) The person in the photograph.
2. Who is the second person that the Main Character tries to phone after Limo Driver on his return from the Boss's home?
(b) The Girlfriend.
(c) The Business Partner.
(d) His ex-wife.
3. What does the Rat apologize for in his first letter to the Main Character?
(a) For leaving when their mother was ill.
(b) For leaving town without saying goodbye.
(c) For their last fight.
(d) For sleeping with the Main Character's ex-wife.
4. What time is the Main Character told that the Boss would send a car for him?
5. How does the Main Character react the first time he sees the Girlfriend's ears?
(a) He thanks her profusely.
(b) He is unable to speak.
(c) He cries.
(d) He kisses her.
6. Why does the Strange Man Call the Main Character after his return from the Boss's home?
(a) Because the Boss has disappeared.
(b) Because the Boss is getting worse.
(c) Because the Boss has died.
(d) Because the Boss has recovered.
7. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character about the object seen through the magnifying glass?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) It puts the Rat in grave danger.
(c) It is part of a sacred text.
(d) It implicates the Main Character.
8. What does the Main Character inadvertently steal from the Limo?
(a) The Limo Driver's gloves.
(b) A lighter.
(c) The Limo Driver's pen.
9. What best describes the Boss?
(a) A major right-wing political figure.
(b) A powerful leader of a corrupt family run corporation.
(c) A major player in the conservative publication business.
(d) A technological genius with strong liberal viewpoints.
10. What does the Main Character see when he uses the magnifying glass?
(a) The Rat's signature.
(b) A picture of the Rat.
(c) A starred sheep.
(d) Hidden text.
11. Whose phone number does the Limo Driver say he has?
(a) The Prime Minister's.
(b) The Boss's.
(c) The Girlfriend's.
12. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character about her ears?
(a) She gets a high off showing them.
(b) She rarely displays them.
(c) They bring her great misery.
(d) They bring her great luck.
13. At what age does the person who dies in Chapter 1 predict that he or she will die?
14. What does the Rat tell the Main Character in his first letter?
(a) About the pictures he is painting.
(b) About the women he has slept with.
(c) About the towns he has traveled to.
(d) About his courses at the University.
15. What does the unexpected visitor leave behind in Chapter 3?
(a) A slip.
(b) A business card.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Business Partner believe about the business?
2. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character during their phone call in Chapter 22?
3. What does the Strange Man believe is really the Boss's problem?
4. Where does the bar owner suggest that the Main Character stay while he is in town?
5. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)