|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the Main Character when he knew the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) From age 18 to the present.
(d) From age five to the present.
2. How does the Main Character react the first time he sees the Girlfriend's ears?
(a) He cries.
(b) He is unable to speak.
(c) He thanks her profusely.
(d) He kisses her.
3. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
(a) Types on his laptop.
(b) Stares at the receptionist.
(c) Waits motionless.
(d) Talks on his phone.
4. What does the Main Character realize about his photos at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He has not taken any photos in three years.
(b) There is a slip on a chair in many of the pictures.
(c) He is not in any of his photos.
(d) His ex-wife cut out any picture of herself.
5. Where do the Sixteen Steps that title Chapter 2 actually lead?
(a) To a wall with no door.
(b) To the Main Character's apartment.
(c) To the roof of the building.
(d) To the laundry room.
6. Who does the Strange Man say predicted that the death of the Boss due to his brain cyst would occur years ago?
(a) Japanese doctors.
(b) The Boss's personal physician.
(c) The Girlfriend.
(d) US Army doctors.
7. What does the Main Character eat, while his visitor watches, in Chapter 2?
(d) An apple.
8. Who owns the bar that the Main Character visits in carrying out the Rat's request?
(a) The Gap Toothed Girl.
(c) The Main Character's father.
9. What do the Main Character and his business partner first discuss in Chapter 7?
(a) The Business Partner's church.
(b) A new client that the Main Character wants to work with.
(c) The Main Character's divorce.
(d) The Business Partner's disease.
10. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character during their phone call in Chapter 22?
(a) That the boss started out in the same manner.
(b) That too much drinking is an obstacle to success.
(c) That the fate of the business is in his hands.
(d) That everyone has something to lose.
11. What does the Main Character tell the Strange Man that he must do in Chapter 23?
(a) Come to the office.
(b) Watch the cat.
(c) Pay for the medicine.
(d) Fire the Limo Driver.
12. Where does the Main Character first meet the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) At work.
(b) A wedding.
(c) At primary school.
(d) A coffee shop.
13. What symptoms does the Boss exhibit of the brain cyst and the required medications?
(a) Fatigue and difficulty breathing.
(b) Headaches and hallucinations.
(c) Nausea and a rash.
(d) Dizziness and Depression.
14. What losses do the Strange Man and the Main Character discuss in Chapter 17?
(a) Business losses due to pulling the sheep bulletin.
(b) The Boss's losses due to his health problem.
(c) Losses of loved ones.
(d) The implied loss of the Main Character's life.
15. What does the Main Character see when he uses the magnifying glass?
(a) The Rat's signature.
(b) A starred sheep.
(c) Hidden text.
(d) A picture of the Rat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Strange Man demand to speak to?
2. What is the name of the person who dies in Chapter 1?
3. What does the Main Character see upon arriving home in Chapter 2?
4. Who is the first person that the Main Character tries to phone after Limo Driver on his return from the Boss's home?
5. Where does the opening scene of the novel occur?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)