|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at the Main Character's apartment when he arrives home in Chapter 2?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) His friend.
(c) The postman.
(d) His ex-wife.
2. What is the trilateral power base that the Boss is said to control?
(a) Scientific institutions, a political party, and gold mines.
(b) Bankers, newspapers, and educational institutions.
(c) Japanese imports, publishing, and politicians.
(d) Politicians, information services, and stocks.
3. What losses do the Strange Man and the Main Character discuss in Chapter 17?
(a) The Boss's losses due to his health problem.
(b) Losses of loved ones.
(c) The implied loss of the Main Character's life.
(d) Business losses due to pulling the sheep bulletin.
4. What does the Rat refuse to give to the Main Character in his first letter?
(a) The money he owes him.
(b) The dreams he is having.
(c) The name of his new wife.
(d) His address.
5. What does the Main Character see when he uses the magnifying glass?
(a) A picture of the Rat.
(b) The Rat's signature.
(c) Hidden text.
(d) A starred sheep.
6. Where does the opening scene of the novel occur?
(d) An unnamed village in Japan.
7. What does the Main Character give to the person he meets per the Rat's request?
(b) A book.
(d) A Kiss.
8. Where does the bar owner suggest that the Main Character stay while he is in town?
(a) With the Main Character's family.
(b) With the Rat's family.
(c) With the Rat's friend.
(d) With the bar owner.
9. How does the Main Character first learn of the death in Chapter 1?
(a) The news.
(b) A phone call.
(c) He sees the person die.
(d) An obituary.
10. What does the Rat send to the Main Character along with his first letter?
(a) A novel.
(b) A lighter.
(c) An addressed and stamped envelope.
(d) An advertisement and a stamp.
11. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character about her ears?
(a) She gets a high off showing them.
(b) She rarely displays them.
(c) They bring her great luck.
(d) They bring her great misery.
12. What time is the Main Character told that the Boss would send a car for him?
13. Why does the Main Character say that his relationship with his ex-wife is over?
(a) She is leaving his best friend.
(b) She had an affair with his best friend.
(c) The Main Character is dying.
(d) The Main Character is moving.
14. Whom does the Strange Man say he represents?
(a) The person in the photograph.
(b) The Main Character's father.
(c) The name on the business card.
(d) A friend.
15. What does the Strange Man give to the Main Character in Chapter 18 before telling him to leave?
(a) A picture of the Girlfriend with the starred sheep.
(b) A large sum of money.
(d) An address.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Main Character do in Chapter 22 before calling the Strange Man?
2. At what age does the person who dies in Chapter 1 predict that he or she will die?
3. Where does the Main Character say he saw a whale's penis?
4. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character during their phone call in Chapter 22?
5. At what age does the person who dies in Chapter 1 die?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)