|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Main Character buy after speaking with the Strange Man in Chapter 22?
(a) Warm clothes.
(d) Batteries and a flashlight.
2. Whom does the Strange Man say he represents?
(a) The person in the photograph.
(b) A friend.
(c) The Main Character's father.
(d) The name on the business card.
3. What time does the Strange Man arrive at the office?
(a) 9 AM.
(b) 3:15 PM.
(c) 11 AM.
(d) 11 PM.
4. From where does the Main Character phone his business partner in Chapter 23?
(a) His apartment.
(b) A nearby bar.
(c) The office.
(d) A grungy public phone.
5. What does the Main Character say about honest work in Chapter 7?
(a) It is good for the soul.
(b) It does not exist.
(c) It is not profitable.
(d) It is available only to the poor.
6. How does the Main Character first meet his girlfriend?
(a) Through a mutual friend.
(b) In a bar.
(c) Through a dating service.
(d) Through work at the ad agency.
7. What does the Strange Man believe is really the Boss's problem?
(a) The Japanese government has taken over his body.
(b) The Rat has taken over his body.
(c) The US military has taken over his body.
(d) A sheep has taken over his body.
8. Where does the Main Character go to buy supplies after speaking to the Strange Man?
(a) An outdoors supplier.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) A clothing store.
(d) A pharmacy.
9. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character just before she shows him her ears for the first time?
(a) That they must make love immediately.
(b) That she cannot be responsible for his sorrow.
(c) That he must stay with her for a few months.
(d) That he will be at her command.
10. Where does the bar owner suggest that the Main Character stay while he is in town?
(a) With the Rat's friend.
(b) With the Main Character's family.
(c) With the Rat's family.
(d) With the bar owner.
11. What does the Main Character see when he uses the magnifying glass?
(a) Hidden text.
(b) The Rat's signature.
(c) A starred sheep.
(d) A picture of the Rat.
12. What does the Main Character tell the Business Partner he must do in Chapter 23?
(a) Watch the cat.
(b) Take care of the books.
(c) Hire an assistant.
(d) Quit drinking.
13. Why does the Strange Man Call the Main Character after his return from the Boss's home?
(a) Because the Boss is getting worse.
(b) Because the Boss has recovered.
(c) Because the Boss has disappeared.
(d) Because the Boss has died.
14. What does the Rat tell the Main Character in his first letter?
(a) About the women he has slept with.
(b) About the towns he has traveled to.
(c) About the pictures he is painting.
(d) About his courses at the University.
15. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
(a) Talks on his phone.
(b) Waits motionless.
(c) Types on his laptop.
(d) Stares at the receptionist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party is under the Boss's control?
2. What does the Main Character find in the back of the limo that the Strange Man sends to pick him up and bring him to the Boss?
3. What does the Strange Man tell the Business Partner that the company must do?
4. What time is the Main Character told that the Boss would send a car for him?
5. Whom does the Main Character live with?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)