|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Main Character see when he uses the magnifying glass?
(a) Hidden text.
(b) A picture of the Rat.
(c) The Rat's signature.
(d) A starred sheep.
2. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character about her ears?
(a) They bring her great misery.
(b) They bring her great luck.
(c) She rarely displays them.
(d) She gets a high off showing them.
3. What is the name of the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) Not revealed.
4. What does the Main Character eat, while his visitor watches, in Chapter 2?
(c) An apple.
5. Where do the Sixteen Steps that title Chapter 2 actually lead?
(a) To the Main Character's apartment.
(b) To a wall with no door.
(c) To the roof of the building.
(d) To the laundry room.
6. What does the Strange Man do as he waits for the Business Partner to arrive?
(a) Types on his laptop.
(b) Waits motionless.
(c) Stares at the receptionist.
(d) Talks on his phone.
7. Who is referred to as the Boss?
(a) The man behind a mysterious Internet based business.
(b) The man behind the political structure of Japan.
(c) The man behind the largest corporation in Japan.
(d) The man behind the largest liberal political party in Japan.
8. What best describes the Girlfriend's feelings about her ears?
(a) That they are separate from the rest of her.
(b) That they are her only source of beauty.
(c) She is very proud of them.
(d) She is greatly embarrassed by them.
9. What does the Main Character dream about in the limo on the way to the Boss's house?
(a) Pliers and a talking cow.
(b) The Girlfriends ears sitting on the seat next to him.
(c) A hammer and a talking sheep.
(d) The Girlfriend's ears on the Strange Man's head.
10. What is the trilateral power base that the Boss is said to control?
(a) Japanese imports, publishing, and politicians.
(b) Scientific institutions, a political party, and gold mines.
(c) Bankers, newspapers, and educational institutions.
(d) Politicians, information services, and stocks.
11. Who tells the Main Character about a sheep in Chapter 6?
(a) A messenger.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) The business partner.
12. How old was the Main Character when he knew the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) From age five to the present.
(c) From age 18 to the present.
13. What does the unexpected visitor leave behind in Chapter 3?
(a) A slip.
(c) A business card.
(d) A book.
14. How does the Strange Man respond to the Main Character's attempts at small talk during their phone call in Chapter 22?
(a) He is uncharacteristically friendly.
(b) He urges him to get to the point.
(c) He tells him to stop wasting his time.
(d) With silence.
15. Who tells the Main Character that there are only 5,000 sheep in Japan?
(a) The Strange Man.
(b) The Boss.
(c) The Limo Driver.
(d) The Girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Main Character first meet the person who dies in Chapter 1?
2. What does the Main Character do in Chapter 3 after his unexpected visitor leaves?
3. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character just before she shows him her ears for the first time?
4. What does the Main Character drink in Chapter 9?
5. Who owns the bar that the Main Character visits in carrying out the Rat's request?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)