|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the opening scene of the novel occur?
(b) An unnamed village in Japan.
2. What relationship does the Main Character share with the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) They were co-workers.
(b) They were married.
(c) They are stepsiblings.
(d) They were former lovers.
3. What is true of the Main Character when he arrives home in Chapter 2?
(a) He is carrying a large package.
(b) He is walking a dog.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is drunk.
4. What does the person who is at the Main Character's apartment in Chapter 2 tell him?
(a) That he is selfish.
(b) That he is invited to a party.
(c) That she still loves him.
(d) That he owes money.
5. Where does the Main Character go to buy supplies after speaking to the Strange Man?
(a) A clothing store.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) A pharmacy.
(d) An outdoors supplier.
6. What does the Strange Man tell the Main Character during their phone call in Chapter 22?
(a) That too much drinking is an obstacle to success.
(b) That the fate of the business is in his hands.
(c) That everyone has something to lose.
(d) That the boss started out in the same manner.
7. Why does the Strange Man Call the Main Character after his return from the Boss's home?
(a) Because the Boss is getting worse.
(b) Because the Boss has disappeared.
(c) Because the Boss has recovered.
(d) Because the Boss has died.
8. In what year is the Boss's brain cyst discovered?
9. What time does the Strange Man arrive at the office?
(a) 9 AM.
(b) 11 PM.
(c) 11 AM.
(d) 3:15 PM.
10. What does the Strange Man do when the Main Character refuses to tell him what he wants to know in Chapter 17?
(a) Shows him a different photograph.
(b) Throws a lighter at him.
(c) Threatens him.
(d) Tears up a check.
11. What does the Rat send to the Main Character along with his first letter?
(a) A novel.
(b) A lighter.
(c) An advertisement and a stamp.
(d) An addressed and stamped envelope.
12. What illness does the Boss have?
(a) Lung Cancer.
(b) Multiple Sclerosis.
(c) A brain hemorrhage.
13. Whom does the Main Character live with?
(a) No one.
(b) His father.
(c) His cat.
(d) An unseen roommate.
14. What does the bar owner give the Main Character?
(a) A newspaper.
(c) A book.
(d) A list of addresses.
15. Where does the Rat's second letter tell the Main Character is his final destination?
(a) On a farm.
(b) On an island.
(c) In a city.
(d) In the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Business Partner believe about the business?
2. For what length of time does the Strange Man tell the Main Character that he will leave him alone?
3. Where does the Main Character first meet the person who dies in Chapter 1?
4. What do the Main Character and his guest do together in Chapter 2?
5. What symptoms does the Boss exhibit of the brain cyst and the required medications?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)