|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the person who dies in Chapter 1?
(c) Not revealed.
2. What does the Strange Man believe is really the Boss's problem?
(a) A sheep has taken over his body.
(b) The Japanese government has taken over his body.
(c) The Rat has taken over his body.
(d) The US military has taken over his body.
3. Who does the Strange Man say drew the image he shows to the Main Character in Chapter 18?
(a) The Girlfriend.
(b) The Strange Man.
(c) The Rat.
(d) The Boss.
4. Who is at the Main Character's apartment when he arrives home in Chapter 2?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) His friend.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) The postman.
5. Where does the Main Character go in Chapter 1?
(a) To a temple.
(b) To a funeral.
(c) To a performance.
(d) To a school.
6. What does the Girlfriend tell the Main Character just before she shows him her ears for the first time?
(a) That he will be at her command.
(b) That they must make love immediately.
(c) That he must stay with her for a few months.
(d) That she cannot be responsible for his sorrow.
7. What does the unexpected visitor leave behind in Chapter 3?
(b) A slip.
(c) A book.
(d) A business card.
8. What does the Strange Man do when the Main Character refuses to tell him what he wants to know in Chapter 17?
(a) Tears up a check.
(b) Throws a lighter at him.
(c) Shows him a different photograph.
(d) Threatens him.
9. Who is referred to as the Boss?
(a) The man behind the largest corporation in Japan.
(b) The man behind the largest liberal political party in Japan.
(c) The man behind a mysterious Internet based business.
(d) The man behind the political structure of Japan.
10. Who is the second person that the Main Character tries to phone after Limo Driver on his return from the Boss's home?
(a) The Girlfriend.
(b) The Business Partner.
(d) His ex-wife.
11. What does the Main Character do when he cannot reach either of the two people he tries to phone after returning from the Boss's home?
(a) Orders more beer.
(b) Buys some wool socks.
(c) Calls a taxi.
(d) Goes to a movie.
12. What does the Rat refuse to give to the Main Character in his first letter?
(a) His address.
(b) The dreams he is having.
(c) The money he owes him.
(d) The name of his new wife.
13. What does the Main Character say has happened to his business partner over the past several years?
(a) He has become a religious fanatic.
(b) He has become addicted to cocaine.
(c) He has grown weak from a chronic illness.
(d) He has become an alcoholic.
14. What does the Strange Man tell the Business Partner to do with the object he gives him?
(a) Locks it in a safe.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Memorizes it.
(d) Gives it to the Main Character.
15. How does the Main Character first meet his girlfriend?
(a) Through work at the ad agency.
(b) Through a dating service.
(c) Through a mutual friend.
(d) In a bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Sixteen Steps that title Chapter 2 actually lead?
2. At what age does the person who dies in Chapter 1 die?
3. Who owns the bar that the Main Character visits in carrying out the Rat's request?
4. What does the Main Character say about honest work in Chapter 7?
5. What does the Main Character tell the Strange Man he fears losing?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)