|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author ride from the east side?
2. Who did the author call "The Chicken Lady?"
3. What political party was said to be unfriendly?
4. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
5. What book was the author always reading on his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author read from his prayer book every morning. What were his feelings and experiences?
2. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
3. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
4. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
5. Mrs. Solovey commits suicide late in this section and it shocks the neighborhood. Describe what emotions the neighborhood go through towards the Soloveys.
6. There were many things the author liked about David's home. What was the one thing that truly made the house stand out to him?
7. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
8. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
9. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
10. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A continuing theme in the book is of light and darkness, both literal and metaphorical. Please give examples from the book how this is portrayed. What other ideas could be connected to the idea of light and dark?
Essay Topic 2
The author felt the most joy in a place where he felt the most uncomfortable. Explore the idea of the author's constant struggle with feeling like an outsider or an alien.
Essay Topic 3
What importance did the Soloveys hold for the author? They had a past and a relationship that was unique, what about those ideas was unique to them? What about Mrs. Solovey was so enticing for the author? What was his made-up name for her and what character from a book did he associate her with? What about Mr. Solovey was important to the author? What connection did they have?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)