|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building does the author miss the most, though?
2. What happened to Mr. Solovey's business?
3. Mr. and Mrs. Solovey had children, what were their children?
4. How did the author feel it meant to be a Jew?
5. What did Mr. Solovey wear that was unusual to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
2. The author liked to go to the courtyard to hear music, why was there always music in the courtyard?
3. The author and his mother take a day trip to a local attraction. Where did they go and what did they experience?
4. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
5. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
6. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
7. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
8. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
9. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
10. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author discover in the last section that makes the most impact on him? How does the author's discovery of this person lead him to even stronger feelings of "beyond' being attainable?
Essay Topic 2
When the author talks about his longing for "beyond," what does he mean and how does he feel he can accomplish this goal? Please make sure to include examples from the text in addition to your own ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the group that he joins, the author meets two young men who make a significant impact on him. Who were the members and what details about these members and their surroundings drew the author in? What aspects of these characters distanced him?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)