|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first restaurant the author ever sat in?
2. How did the author feel about summertime?
3. What has replaced an entire block of drugstores and candy shops in the neighborhood?
4. What was the author afraid of?
5. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
2. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
3. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
4. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
5. What did the second hand furniture shops remind the author of?
6. The author and his mother take a day trip to a local attraction. Where did they go and what did they experience?
7. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
8. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
9. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
10. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last section gives details of relationships the author has with two individuals. What about the "he" is important to the author? What about the "she" he speaks of is significant? How do they solidify his yearnings and his opportunities for "beyond"? What do their involvement in his life make "bearable"?
Essay Topic 2
The author felt the most joy in a place where he felt the most uncomfortable. Explore the idea of the author's constant struggle with feeling like an outsider or an alien.
Essay Topic 3
During the summer of his 16th year, the author joins a group with Socialist ties. What does the author feel his connection to the Socialist group is? His parents were of the Socialist influence, was that his draw to the party or did he truly believe the party would make what was wrong in his world right?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)