|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author run?
2. What was the author's first idea of summer?
3. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
4. How did the author feel about summertime?
5. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
2. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
3. What did the second hand furniture shops remind the author of?
4. During the summer nights in Brownsville, many groups met to have meetings on the streets. What were some of those groups and what were their causes?
5. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
6. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
7. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
8. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
9. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
10. What was it about the Solovey's that had the entire neighborhood intrigued?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author discover in the last section that makes the most impact on him? How does the author's discovery of this person lead him to even stronger feelings of "beyond' being attainable?
Essay Topic 2
During the Jewish Sabbath worship, the author's family did something that was unorthodox. What was that practice and what was it's impact on the family? Explain the emotions and expressions the author's family had.
Essay Topic 3
Shame is a recurring theme in the book. Using examples from the book, describe the 2 main causes for the author's shame.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)