|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building does the author miss the most, though?
2. What street was the author's house on?
3. What did the author hide under his coat on the way home Passover week?
4. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
5. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the summer of his 16th year, the author joins a group with Socialist ties. What does the author feel his connection to the Socialist group is? His parents were of the Socialist influence, was that his draw to the party or did he truly believe the party would make what was wrong in his world right?
Essay Topic 2
The author felt the most joy in a place where he felt the most uncomfortable. Explore the idea of the author's constant struggle with feeling like an outsider or an alien.
Essay Topic 3
What importance did the Soloveys hold for the author? They had a past and a relationship that was unique, what about those ideas was unique to them? What about Mrs. Solovey was so enticing for the author? What was his made-up name for her and what character from a book did he associate her with? What about Mr. Solovey was important to the author? What connection did they have?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)