|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Rabbi reluctant to do at Mrs. Solovey's funeral?
2. Who did the shacks on Livonia Avenue start filling up with during the depression?
3. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
4. What did the author and his mother admire as they walked past Belmont Avenue?
5. Why did the author believe the neighborhood madwoman stood on their stoop so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the summer of his 16th year, the author joins a group with Socialist ties. What does the author feel his connection to the Socialist group is? His parents were of the Socialist influence, was that his draw to the party or did he truly believe the party would make what was wrong in his world right?
Essay Topic 2
The last section gives details of relationships the author has with two individuals. What about the "he" is important to the author? What about the "she" he speaks of is significant? How do they solidify his yearnings and his opportunities for "beyond"? What do their involvement in his life make "bearable"?
Essay Topic 3
During the Jewish Sabbath worship, the author's family did something that was unorthodox. What was that practice and what was it's impact on the family? Explain the emotions and expressions the author's family had.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)