|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's name was on the sign the boys pasted to the outside wall of a house on Chester Street?
2. Where did the author stop his nightly runs around the block during summertime?
3. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
4. Which of the stations is the author's favorite?
5. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
2. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
3. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
4. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
5. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
6. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
7. The author liked to go to the courtyard to hear music, why was there always music in the courtyard?
8. What was it about the Solovey's that had the entire neighborhood intrigued?
9. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
10. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much of the author's unhappiness was self-inflicted? How could he have done or interpreted things differently in his life in such a way that he would have been less resentful and more content? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
The author felt the most joy in a place where he felt the most uncomfortable. Explore the idea of the author's constant struggle with feeling like an outsider or an alien.
Essay Topic 3
The author's mother is the glue that holds their family together. What qualities does she possess that give her this position in the family and how does it effect the author?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)