|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
2. What was the first restaurant the author ever sat in?
3. What other author did the author feel he could trust?
4. Why did the author believe the neighborhood madwoman stood on their stoop so long?
5. What name does the author keep calling God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
2. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
3. What was it about the Solovey's that had the entire neighborhood intrigued?
4. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
5. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
6. When the author would play games with his friends, he would usually hide in the monument works. What was significant about the monument works?
7. The author read from his prayer book every morning. What were his feelings and experiences?
8. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
9. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
10. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the summer of his 16th year, the author joins a group with Socialist ties. What does the author feel his connection to the Socialist group is? His parents were of the Socialist influence, was that his draw to the party or did he truly believe the party would make what was wrong in his world right?
Essay Topic 2
Shame is a recurring theme in the book. Using examples from the book, describe the 2 main causes for the author's shame.
Essay Topic 3
The author walks through his childhood neighborhood describing significant places and moments. What could his reasoning for walking through his childhood be?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)