|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other author did the author feel he could trust?
2. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
3. What did the author want more than anything?
4. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
5. Why did the author play the violin for the barber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
2. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
3. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
4. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
5. The author read from his prayer book every morning. What were his feelings and experiences?
6. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
7. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
8. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
9. The author liked to go to the courtyard to hear music, why was there always music in the courtyard?
10. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A continuing theme in the book is of light and darkness, both literal and metaphorical. Please give examples from the book how this is portrayed. What other ideas could be connected to the idea of light and dark?
Essay Topic 2
The author's mother is the glue that holds their family together. What qualities does she possess that give her this position in the family and how does it effect the author?
Essay Topic 3
In specific detail from the book, list important objects from the author's childhood kitchen and their role in his daily life and the energy of the home.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)