|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
2. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
3. Where were political rival meetings held?
4. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
5. What did the author rejoice to see in his kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
2. The Soloveys were a couple no one could figure out. What about their marriage, specifically, was so mysterious?
3. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
4. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
5. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
6. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
7. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
8. The author and his mother take a day trip to a local attraction. Where did they go and what did they experience?
9. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
10. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author walks through his childhood neighborhood describing significant places and moments. What could his reasoning for walking through his childhood be?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did the author choose to escape his daily life? Why did the author feel he needed to escape and why is he "walking" through a time when he felt the need to escape? What is he trying to escape from that he wrote the memoir/
Essay Topic 3
In specific detail from the book, list important objects from the author's childhood kitchen and their role in his daily life and the energy of the home.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)