|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
2. What was the greatest mystery about the Soloveys?
3. Who was the neighbor girl dating that her mother was ashamed of?
4. How did Mrs. Solovey commit suicide?
5. The author changed where he walked after supper. Where did he walk to?
Essay Topic 1
During the Jewish Sabbath worship, the author's family did something that was unorthodox. What was that practice and what was it's impact on the family? Explain the emotions and expressions the author's family had.
Essay Topic 2
The author walks through his childhood neighborhood describing significant places and moments. What could his reasoning for walking through his childhood be?
Essay Topic 3
A continuing theme in the book is of light and darkness, both literal and metaphorical. Please give examples from the book how this is portrayed. What other ideas could be connected to the idea of light and dark?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)