|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author's mother do to remember her parent's deaths?
2. How did the author secretly think of the synagogue?
3. What drove the author's mother to work so hard?
4. What association did the New York World hold for the author?
5. What instrument did the author play as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feelings the author first has when he enters his childhood neighborhood.
2. How does the author describe the Episcopalian church in his childhood neighborhood?
3. Who does the demolished part of the author's childhood neighborhood remind the author of and why was she so important to him?
4. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
5. How does the author feel about his childhood school?
6. In what ways did the kitchen hold the author's mother's character?
7. What is the third street the author mentions in "From the Subway to the Synagogue" and what is it's significance?
8. The author's mother was a dressmaker. What was her process of creation?
9. Describe what happened at the drugstore after the author's childhood therapy session.
10. Why does the author specifically remember the second street in 'From the Subway to the Synagogue'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did the author choose to escape his daily life? Why did the author feel he needed to escape and why is he "walking" through a time when he felt the need to escape? What is he trying to escape from that he wrote the memoir/
Essay Topic 2
Who does the author discover in the last section that makes the most impact on him? How does the author's discovery of this person lead him to even stronger feelings of "beyond' being attainable?
Essay Topic 3
In specific detail from the book, list important objects from the author's childhood kitchen and their role in his daily life and the energy of the home.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)