Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the author say it was good to be back among?
2. What nickname did the author's father give him?
3. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
4. How did the author feel about being confirmed?
5. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
2. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
3. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
4. What time of day was the loneliest for the author's mother and why? What brought her out of her loneliness?
5. What was the author most embarrassed about during his school years? What made those years worse?
6. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
7. The author's mother was a dressmaker. What was her process of creation?
8. What are some of the memories the author has about his place of worship?
9. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
10. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
Essay Topic 1
The author walks through his childhood neighborhood describing significant places and moments. What could his reasoning for walking through his childhood be?
Essay Topic 2
The author felt the most joy in a place where he felt the most uncomfortable. Explore the idea of the author's constant struggle with feeling like an outsider or an alien.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the author choose to escape his daily life? Why did the author feel he needed to escape and why is he "walking" through a time when he felt the need to escape? What is he trying to escape from that he wrote the memoir/
This section contains 1,752 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)