Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the author say it was good to be back among?
2. What nickname did the author's father give him?
3. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
4. How did the author feel about being confirmed?
5. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
2. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
3. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
4. What time of day was the loneliest for the author's mother and why? What brought her out of her loneliness?
5. What was the author most embarrassed about during his school years? What made those years worse?
6. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
7. The author's mother was a dressmaker. What was her process of creation?
8. What are some of the memories the author has about his place of worship?
9. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
10. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
During the summer of his 16th year, the author joins a group with Socialist ties. What does the author feel his connection to the Socialist group is? His parents were of the Socialist influence, was that his draw to the party or did he truly believe the party would make what was wrong in his world right?
The author's mother is the glue that holds their family together. What qualities does she possess that give her this position in the family and how does it effect the author?
How much of the author's unhappiness was self-inflicted? How could he have done or interpreted things differently in his life in such a way that he would have been less resentful and more content? Cite specific examples.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)