|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Was the author good at handball?
(a) The book doesn't clarify.
(b) He was the best in the neighborhood.
2. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
3. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
4. What smells reminded the author of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Urine, sweat and oil.
(b) Ground coffee, spices and paint.
(c) Bleach, ground coffee and spices,
(d) Tar, ground coffee and soap.
5. Why did the author run?
(a) To escape his block.
(b) To train for handball.
(c) To escape the junkyard dogs.
(d) To be the first to play follow the leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was commonly used in the author's neighborhood?
2. Where did the author stop his nightly runs around the block during summertime?
3. What did the fat brother that owned the barber shop put through the delicatessen window?
4. Was Mr. Solovey a friendly man?
5. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Soloveys were a couple no one could figure out. What about their marriage, specifically, was so mysterious?
2. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
3. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
4. The author read from his prayer book every morning. What were his feelings and experiences?
5. Why is the idea of "beyond' so important to the author?
6. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
7. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
8. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
9. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
10. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)