|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
(a) Bats flew out of the cellar when he opened the door.
(b) He got locked in the cellar.
(c) He was beat up in the cellar.
(d) He thought he heard someone.
2. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
(a) When he practiced, it was for fun. When he played, it was for money.
(d) He felt it was fun because he felt like he could escape when he played.
3. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Second Party of Communism.
(b) The Right Hand of the Devil.
(c) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(d) The Lord's Chosen Way.
4. What was the name the author made up for Mrs. Solovey?
5. How does the author describe David's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author listen to the singers?
2. What book did Isrolik carry around with him?
3. What political party was said to be lighthearted?
4. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
5. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
2. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
3. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
4. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
5. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
6. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
7. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
8. When the author would play games with his friends, he would usually hide in the monument works. What was significant about the monument works?
9. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
10. What did the second hand furniture shops remind the author of?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)