|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the shacks on Livonia Avenue start filling up with during the depression?
(a) Irish immigrants.
(d) Jobless union workers.
2. What language does the author share with Mrs. Solovey?
3. What was Mr. Solovey's jacket always covered with?
(b) Cigarette ash.
(d) Face powder.
4. What did the author rejoice to see in his kitchen?
(a) His cousin and her friends sitting at the table.
(b) A sink full of fresh produce.
(c) His dad covered in paint from his first job in some time.
(d) More customers than his mother had ever had before.
5. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(b) The Lord's Chosen Way.
(c) The Second Party of Communism.
(d) The Right Hand of the Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hadn't the author learned yet when he had the discussion in a foreign language with Mrs. Solovey?
2. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
3. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
4. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
5. Why did the author run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
2. When the author would play games with his friends, he would usually hide in the monument works. What was significant about the monument works?
3. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
4. The author liked to go to the courtyard to hear music, why was there always music in the courtyard?
5. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
6. The Soloveys were a couple no one could figure out. What about their marriage, specifically, was so mysterious?
7. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
8. The author and his mother take a day trip to a local attraction. Where did they go and what did they experience?
9. During the summer nights in Brownsville, many groups met to have meetings on the streets. What were some of those groups and what were their causes?
10. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)