|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Was the author good at handball?
(a) The book doesn't clarify.
(d) He was the best in the neighborhood.
2. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
(a) Someone to walk to school with.
(b) Someone to be his true friend.
(c) Someone he could bully around.
(d) Someone to run with at night.
3. How did Mrs. Solovey commit suicide?
(a) She sealed the doors and windows and let the gas stove run.
(b) She jumped of the Brooklyn Bridge and drowned in the East River.
(c) She jumped in front of the El train at Rockaway Station.
(d) She jumped from the fire escape.
4. What did Mrs. Solovey's coffin look like?
(a) It was black and plain.
(b) It was wrapped in a Star of David flag.
(c) It was ornately carved.
(d) It was a plain wooden box.
5. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
(b) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
(c) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
(d) He preferred singers over instruments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was Mr. Solovey a friendly man?
2. What was the author's first idea of summer?
3. What did the author ride from the east side?
4. What had the author's final paper been about?
5. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
2. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
3. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
4. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
5. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
6. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
7. The author and his mother take a day trip to a local attraction. Where did they go and what did they experience?
8. Mrs. Solovey commits suicide late in this section and it shocks the neighborhood. Describe what emotions the neighborhood go through towards the Soloveys.
9. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
10. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)