|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
(a) The fire escapes.
(b) The front porch.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
2. What hadn't the author learned yet when he had the discussion in a foreign language with Mrs. Solovey?
(a) Reular verbs.
(c) Irregular verbs.
(d) Conjugated verbs.
3. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
(b) He preferred singers over instruments.
(c) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
(d) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
4. What was the author's first idea of summer?
(a) This was his summer to find a girlfriend.
(b) Life could slow down.
(c) The summer could speed up.
(d) This was the summer he was going to master follow the leader.
5. What building does the author miss the most, though?
(a) The hardware store.
(b) The candy shop.
(c) The drugstore.
(d) The fabric shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author feel about summertime?
2. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
3. What did Mrs. Solovey's coffin look like?
4. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
5. Who's name was on the sign the boys pasted to the outside wall of a house on Chester Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
2. During the summer nights in Brownsville, many groups met to have meetings on the streets. What were some of those groups and what were their causes?
3. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
4. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
5. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
6. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
7. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
8. What did the second hand furniture shops remind the author of?
9. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
10. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)