|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What let the author know how he felt after he read his prayer book?
(a) By the thoughts he had the rest of the day.
(b) By the song in his head.
(c) By the discussions he had with his mother.
(d) By the feeling in his chest.
2. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
(a) He hugged them.
(b) He succeeded in school.
(c) He tried to get an after school job.
(d) He played his violin for them.
3. How does the author describe David's house?
4. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
5. What could you see someone doing into the late hours of dusk in Brownsville?
(a) Boys playing handball.
(b) Someone sifting through garbage.
(c) Someone stealing coal from the cellars.
(d) Someone settling down in an empty alleyway for the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the author's final paper been about?
2. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
3. What did the author experience when reading the words of the little blue book?
4. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
5. What language was commonly used in the author's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
2. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
3. The author read from his prayer book every morning. What were his feelings and experiences?
4. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
5. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
6. The Soloveys were a couple no one could figure out. What about their marriage, specifically, was so mysterious?
7. There were many things the author liked about David's home. What was the one thing that truly made the house stand out to him?
8. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
9. The author met two boys who were part of the Socialist group, David and Isrolik. What was it about these boys that the author enjoyed?
10. What are the author's main means of escape in this section?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)