|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author hide under his coat on the way home Passover week?
(a) Packaged white bread.
(b) Packaged matzah.
(c) A jar of pickles.
(d) A bottle of wine.
2. What was the greatest mystery about the Soloveys?
(a) Why they were living in Brownsville.
(b) What they fought over.
(c) Where they were originally from.
(d) Why they moved so much.
3. Which of the stations is the author's favorite?
(a) The El.
(b) Bedford Park Station.
(c) Rockaway Station.
(d) Union Station.
4. What was the Rabbi reluctant to do at Mrs. Solovey's funeral?
(a) Allow a viewing.
(b) Allow her to be burried in the synagogues cemetary.
(c) Say the necessary prayers inside the synagogue.
(d) Say the necessary prayers over her grave.
5. What time frame did the author always imagine himself walking through New York in?
(a) The 1850's.
(b) The 1890's.
(c) The 1880's.
(d) The 1900's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Isrolik carry around with him?
2. What book did Mrs. Solovey take the author back to?
3. What did the author and his mother admire as they walked past Belmont Avenue?
4. Where were the communist headquarters?
5. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
2. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
3. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
4. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
5. Mrs. Solovey commits suicide late in this section and it shocks the neighborhood. Describe what emotions the neighborhood go through towards the Soloveys.
6. What was it about the Solovey's that had the entire neighborhood intrigued?
7. What led the author to fantasize about Mrs. Solovey every night before bed?
8. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
9. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
10. The author liked to go to the courtyard to hear music, why was there always music in the courtyard?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)