|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
2. Why did the author daydream of Mrs. Solovey?
(a) He couldn't get past the scar on her face.
(b) She hypnotized him.
(c) She had a mysterious life.
(d) He secretly loved her.
3. What let the author know how he felt after he read his prayer book?
(a) By the song in his head.
(b) By the thoughts he had the rest of the day.
(c) By the discussions he had with his mother.
(d) By the feeling in his chest.
4. Why did the C.P. Organizer say the author couldn't join the Socialist party?
(a) Because he was a Jew.
(b) Because he couldn't pay the registration fee.
(c) Because he was Russian.
(d) Because he was a student.
5. What did the author hide under his coat on the way home Passover week?
(a) Packaged white bread.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) Packaged matzah.
(d) A jar of pickles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the author's friends?
2. Why don't the children sleep inside?
3. What book did Mrs. Solovey take the author back to?
4. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
5. What was the author afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
2. How did the author feel during the summer of his first job?
3. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
4. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
5. How does the author describe summer in Brownsville?
6. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
7. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
8. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
9. When Mrs. Solovey makes a visit to the author's home, she engages the author in conversation but soon becomes frustrated. Why does she become frustrated?
10. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)