|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the big Italians sell and during what time?
(a) Baked apples during the fall.
(b) Watermelons during the summer.
(c) Yogurt during the spring.
(d) Roasted nuts during the winter.
2. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
(b) Romantic and ethereal.
(c) Quite plain.
3. Where did the author run away from his father?
(a) The Abraham and Straus Store.
(b) Prospect Park.
(c) Atlantic Avenue.
(d) Grand Army Plaza.
4. What is the era in which the author's childhood took place?
(a) World War One.
(b) The 1920's.
(c) World War Two.
(d) The Great Depression.
5. Who is it the author always sees first when he enters Brownsville?
(a) The old women.
(b) The Negroes.
(c) The children.
(d) The subway guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the author skip pages of his favorite book to read?
2. What did the author always have in his hands when he was waiting fort the girl by the junkyard?
3. Did the author's mother believe her son's generation would succeed?
4. In Brownsville, what room of the house was the largest and most important?
5. What did the author's family regularly do after their Friday night discussions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
2. What are the author's favorite memories from the first street in pages 'From the Subway to the Synagogue',?
3. What was the reaction of the person who read the author's final high school paper?
4. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
5. In what ways did the kitchen hold the author's mother's character?
6. Where did the author's walks take him when he walked to the edge of Brownsville?
7. What was it about the Solovey's that had the entire neighborhood intrigued?
8. The author was given a book and the giver was surprised. Why was she surprised?
9. How does the author describe the second street he remembers and what is it's name?
10. What are the details the author remembers most about the drugstore?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)