Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the author say it was good to be back among?
(a) The children playing handball on the street.
(b) His family.
(c) The women who shouted from the market.
(d) The children playing stickball on on the block.
2. What nickname did the author's father give him?
3. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
(a) Rage, dread and unexpected tenderness.
(b) Fear, loathing, and disgust.
(c) No feelings at all.
(d) Hope, lightheartedness and joy.
4. How did the author feel about being confirmed?
(a) He did it for his mother and out of tradition.
(b) He did it for the gifts.
(c) He was positive it was what he wanted to do.
(d) He did it out of peer pressure.
5. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
(c) Romantic and ethereal.
(d) Quite plain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author connect New York rush hour with from his childhood?
2. What did the author's family regularly do after their Friday night discussions?
3. The author preferred the movie house over the synagogue, why did he favor the movie house?
4. The author's childhood school is still standing in the neighborhood, how does the school feel to the author?
5. Who is it the author always sees first when he enters Brownsville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author do after the other boys had gone inside and why?
2. When the author went to visit a friend in New York who lived in a brownstone, what did he discover?
3. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
4. What time of day was the loneliest for the author's mother and why? What brought her out of her loneliness?
5. What was the author most embarrassed about during his school years? What made those years worse?
6. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
7. The author's mother was a dressmaker. What was her process of creation?
8. What are some of the memories the author has about his place of worship?
9. What is so significant about the author not being able to find his mother during the funeral service for Mrs. Solovey?
10. Who were the two colorful women the author remembers in great detail?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)