|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the women of Brownsville force their children to do?
(a) Shop for dinner.
(c) Stay outside until dinner was ready.
(d) Beat rugs on the stoop.
2. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
(a) Hope, lightheartedness and joy.
(b) Rage, dread and unexpected tenderness.
(c) Fear, loathing, and disgust.
(d) No feelings at all.
3. To the author's mother, what was the gateway to romance?
4. Where does the author believe only truly free people are from?
(a) New York City.
5. What instrument did the author play as a child?
(a) The trumpet.
(b) The violin.
(c) The clarinet.
(d) The piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author's mother do to remember her parent's deaths?
2. What did Mrs. E do when she abandoned her housework for a half hour every morning?
3. What emotion does the author speak of in great length in Section 3?
4. What belief about Jews did the author grow up with?
5. Who did the author's father meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the author believe his cousin and her friends were of his parent's generation?
2. During the day the author's home was different than others. How was it different?
3. Mr. Solovey wasn't the most likable person in the neighborhood. What didn't people like about him?
4. Which of the buildings in Brownsville that has been demolished holds the most fond memories for the author and why?
5. What did the author spend much of his time doing when he wasn't reading or in school?
6. On the day of his confirmation at thirteen, the author discovers something in his study of the Bible. What did he discover?
7. What was the author most embarrassed about during his school years? What made those years worse?
8. The author gave Mrs. Solovey an alternative name -- what was the name and why did he give it to her?
9. What did the author write his final high school paper on?
10. What are some of the memories the author has about his place of worship?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)