|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does the author give the second street?
(a) The "sweet street."
(b) The "slow street."
(c) The "show street."
(d) The "short street."
2. What emotion does the author speak of in great length in Section 3?
3. Did the author's mother believe her son's generation would succeed?
(a) She thought that if they didn't follow the traditions, they would fail.
(c) She felt that Socialism would lead everyone to succeed.
4. What did the women of Brownsville force their children to do?
(b) Beat rugs on the stoop.
(c) Stay outside until dinner was ready.
(d) Shop for dinner.
5. How did the Jews greet the Sabbath?
(a) "As a groom."
(b) "As a ghost."
(c) "As a bride."
(d) "As a newborn babe."
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
2. What is seltzer to the poor Jews?
3. What drove the author's mother to work so hard?
4. What association did the New York World hold for the author?
5. What was the author's favorite school experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author feel about his religion teachers and why?
2. Describe what happened at the drugstore after the author's childhood therapy session.
3. What is the nickname the author's father gave him? What is the meaning of the nickname and did the author like his nickname?
4. Which of the buildings in Brownsville that has been demolished holds the most fond memories for the author and why?
5. Twice a year, the author's mother would mourn her parent's deaths. What other significance did his mother's mourning hold for the author?
6. What are some of the memories the author has about his place of worship?
7. The author liked to go to his cousin's room right before supper. What did he like to do while he was in there?
8. How has the author's childhood neighborhood not changed?
9. During the day the author's home was different than others. How was it different?
10. How does the author describe his childhood perception of the distance between Brownsville and New York?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)