|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
(c) He felt it was fun because he felt like he could escape when he played.
(d) When he practiced, it was for fun. When he played, it was for money.
2. What did the author ride from the east side?
(a) The ferry.
(b) A taxi.
(c) The subway.
(d) The trolley.
3. What was the first restaurant the author ever sat in?
(a) "Adina's Cafe."
(b) "Elliott's Deli."
(c) "The Corner Bakery."
(d) The "Coffee Pot."
4. Where did the author stop his nightly runs around the block during summertime?
(a) The candy store.
(b) The Rylots.
(c) The Soloveys.
(d) The drugstore.
5. What was the author afraid of?
(a) The principal.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The barber.
(d) The "chicken lady."
6. Which of the stations is the author's favorite?
(a) The El.
(b) Rockaway Station.
(c) Bedford Park Station.
(d) Union Station.
7. What political party was said to be unfriendly?
8. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
(a) To see his mother.
(b) To say his final goodbyes.
(c) To use the facilities.
(d) To see his father.
9. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
10. What hadn't the author learned yet when he had the discussion in a foreign language with Mrs. Solovey?
(a) Irregular verbs.
(c) Reular verbs.
(d) Conjugated verbs.
11. What could you see someone doing into the late hours of dusk in Brownsville?
(a) Someone stealing coal from the cellars.
(b) Boys playing handball.
(c) Someone sifting through garbage.
(d) Someone settling down in an empty alleyway for the night.
12. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
13. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
14. On Fifth Avenue, the author found something he was surprised by. What was it?
(a) A painting of his home country.
(b) A painting of a nude woman.
(c) A painting of his mother.
(d) A painting of his grandparents.
15. What part of the neighborhood tests the author?
(a) The drugstore where he dropped the sandwich.
(b) The alley where all the boys played handball.
(c) The school yard.
(d) The back wall of the drugstore.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
2. What name does the author keep calling God?
3. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
4. How did Mrs. Solovey commit suicide?
5. The author changed where he walked after supper. Where did he walk to?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)