|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What let the author know how he felt after he read his prayer book?
(a) By the discussions he had with his mother.
(b) By the thoughts he had the rest of the day.
(c) By the song in his head.
(d) By the feeling in his chest.
2. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Palestine, England and Africa.
(b) Italy, France and Scotland.
(c) France, Italy and Ireland.
(d) Palestine, France and Italy.
3. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He preferred singers over instruments.
(b) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
(c) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
(d) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
4. What did Mrs. Solovey's coffin look like?
(a) It was wrapped in a Star of David flag.
(b) It was a plain wooden box.
(c) It was black and plain.
(d) It was ornately carved.
5. Who was the author's favorite of his Socialist party friends?
6. Who did the author call "The Chicken Lady?"
(a) Mrs. Baruch.
(b) Mrs. Klein.
(c) Mrs. Deutscher.
(d) Mrs. Rosenthal.
7. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
8. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Right Hand of the Devil.
(b) The Lord's Chosen Way.
(c) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(d) The Second Party of Communism.
9. Why don't the children sleep inside?
(a) It was too hot.
(b) The bedrooms are closed off to save energy.
(c) The cockroaches made it impossible to sleep in their bedrooms.
(d) Their parents rent out their rooms.
10. What did the women of Brownsville expect to receive from the drugstore owner?
(a) Beauty tips.
(c) Free samples.
11. What building does the author miss the most, though?
(a) The fabric shop.
(b) The candy shop.
(c) The hardware store.
(d) The drugstore.
12. What did Mr. Solovey wear that was unusual to the author?
(a) Patent leather shoes.
(b) A black alpaca trench coat, even in the summer.
(d) A wedding band.
13. Why did the C.P. Organizer say the author couldn't join the Socialist party?
(a) Because he was a Jew.
(b) Because he was Russian.
(c) Because he was a student.
(d) Because he couldn't pay the registration fee.
14. What language does the author share with Mrs. Solovey?
15. What was the Rabbi reluctant to do at Mrs. Solovey's funeral?
(a) Say the necessary prayers over her grave.
(b) Allow her to be burried in the synagogues cemetary.
(c) Allow a viewing.
(d) Say the necessary prayers inside the synagogue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
2. What name does the author keep calling God?
3. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
4. Who was the neighbor girl dating that her mother was ashamed of?
5. What was the name the author made up for Mrs. Solovey?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)