|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the author call "The Chicken Lady?"
(a) Mrs. Rosenthal.
(b) Mrs. Baruch.
(c) Mrs. Klein.
(d) Mrs. Deutscher.
2. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Palestine, England and Africa.
(b) France, Italy and Ireland.
(c) Italy, France and Scotland.
(d) Palestine, France and Italy.
3. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
(a) To look at two pictures from the first world war.
(b) To hear the latest political discussions.
(c) To read the newspapers from New York.
(d) To take lessons from the barber.
4. What did the women of Brownsville expect to receive from the drugstore owner?
(a) Free samples.
(d) Beauty tips.
5. What part of the neighborhood tests the author?
(a) The alley where all the boys played handball.
(b) The drugstore where he dropped the sandwich.
(c) The school yard.
(d) The back wall of the drugstore.
6. What word does the author use to describe many of the places in Pages 77-109?
7. Why did the C.P. Organizer say the author couldn't join the Socialist party?
(a) Because he couldn't pay the registration fee.
(b) Because he was Russian.
(c) Because he was a Jew.
(d) Because he was a student.
8. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
(b) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
(c) He preferred singers over instruments.
(d) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
9. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
(a) He played his violin for them.
(b) He hugged them.
(c) He tried to get an after school job.
(d) He succeeded in school.
10. What name does the author keep calling God?
(c) El Elyon.
11. Who were the author's friends?
(a) The characters in the Bible.
(b) The boys from his Hebrew classes.
(c) The characters from his books.
(d) The boys who lived on Pitkin Street.
12. What was the author's first idea of summer?
(a) Life could slow down.
(b) This was his summer to find a girlfriend.
(c) This was the summer he was going to master follow the leader.
(d) The summer could speed up.
13. What was the first restaurant the author ever sat in?
(a) "The Corner Bakery."
(b) "Adina's Cafe."
(c) The "Coffee Pot."
(d) "Elliott's Deli."
14. What has replaced an entire block of drugstores and candy shops in the neighborhood?
(a) Second-hand furniture shops.
(b) Department stores.
15. What did the author like best about Highland Park Reservoir?
(a) It was quiet.
(b) It was cooler than the rest of the neighborhood.
(c) It was away from home.
(d) It was where the girls went to sun themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. and Mrs. Solovey had children, what were their children?
2. Which of the stations is the author's favorite?
3. What happened to Mr. Solovey's business?
4. What did Mr. Solovey wear that was unusual to the author?
5. What book did Isrolik carry around with him?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)