|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
(a) He got locked in the cellar.
(b) He thought he heard someone.
(c) He was beat up in the cellar.
(d) Bats flew out of the cellar when he opened the door.
2. What book did Mrs. Solovey take the author back to?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Jane Eyre.
(c) Anna Karenina.
(d) Dr. Zhivago.
3. What kind of look did New York City have during the summer nights?
(a) An ethereal look.
(b) An unstitched look.
(c) A mysterious look.
(d) A coarse look.
4. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
5. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
(a) To look at two pictures from the first world war.
(b) To take lessons from the barber.
(c) To hear the latest political discussions.
(d) To read the newspapers from New York.
6. What book was the author always reading on his job?
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) His prayer book.
7. What has replaced an entire block of drugstores and candy shops in the neighborhood?
(b) Department stores.
(d) Second-hand furniture shops.
8. What smells reminded the author of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Tar, ground coffee and soap.
(b) Bleach, ground coffee and spices,
(c) Ground coffee, spices and paint.
(d) Urine, sweat and oil.
9. Why did the author believe the neighborhood madwoman stood on their stoop so long?
(a) Because she would forget where to go after his house.
(b) Because she knew she would get more to put in her cart the longer she stayed.
(c) Because the only person she could relate with was his mother.
(d) Because she knew he liked to watch her.
10. What let the author know how he felt after he read his prayer book?
(a) By the thoughts he had the rest of the day.
(b) By the song in his head.
(c) By the discussions he had with his mother.
(d) By the feeling in his chest.
11. What language was commonly used in the author's neighborhood?
12. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Italy, France and Scotland.
(b) Palestine, France and Italy.
(c) France, Italy and Ireland.
(d) Palestine, England and Africa.
13. How did the author feel it meant to be a Jew?
(a) They were superior to the other religions.
(b) They were free in their part of town.
(c) Their very existance was questioned.
(d) They were the most choice of people.
14. What did the author ride from the east side?
(a) The trolley.
(b) The ferry.
(c) A taxi.
(d) The subway.
15. What kind of coat did Mr. Solovey wear?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the keyword when referred to Mendy?
2. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
3. Who was the neighbor girl dating that her mother was ashamed of?
4. On Fifth Avenue, the author found something he was surprised by. What was it?
5. What did the author experience when reading the words of the little blue book?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)