|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the author's first idea of summer?
(a) This was the summer he was going to master follow the leader.
(b) Life could slow down.
(c) The summer could speed up.
(d) This was his summer to find a girlfriend.
2. Who were the author's friends?
(a) The characters from his books.
(b) The boys from his Hebrew classes.
(c) The characters in the Bible.
(d) The boys who lived on Pitkin Street.
3. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
(a) He got locked in the cellar.
(b) He was beat up in the cellar.
(c) Bats flew out of the cellar when he opened the door.
(d) He thought he heard someone.
4. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
(a) Someone to walk to school with.
(b) Someone he could bully around.
(c) Someone to be his true friend.
(d) Someone to run with at night.
5. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
(a) The front porch.
(b) The living room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The fire escapes.
6. What did Mrs. Solovey's coffin look like?
(a) It was black and plain.
(b) It was ornately carved.
(c) It was a plain wooden box.
(d) It was wrapped in a Star of David flag.
7. What was Mr. Solovey's jacket always covered with?
(a) Face powder.
(c) Cigarette ash.
8. What kind of coat did Mr. Solovey wear?
9. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
(a) The memory of the candy store.
(b) The memory of the mad woman on the block.
(c) The memory of the sandwich dropping in the dust.
(d) The memories of follow the leader nights.
10. Whose house did the author associate with being the furthest from home?
(a) Mrs. Deutscher's.
(b) Mrs. Rosenwasser's.
(c) Mrs. Klein's.
(d) Mrs. Hooper's.
11. Who's name was on the sign the boys pasted to the outside wall of a house on Chester Street?
(a) Dazzy Vance.
(b) Cy Young.
(c) Eddie Cicotte.
(d) Babe Ruth.
12. Why don't the children sleep inside?
(a) The bedrooms are closed off to save energy.
(b) The cockroaches made it impossible to sleep in their bedrooms.
(c) It was too hot.
(d) Their parents rent out their rooms.
13. When the author was a young man, who did he think about after he turned the light out at night?
(a) Mrs. Rylot.
(c) Mrs. Solovey.
(d) The Polish Broads.
14. Why did the author run?
(a) To train for handball.
(b) To escape the junkyard dogs.
(c) To escape his block.
(d) To be the first to play follow the leader.
15. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(b) The Right Hand of the Devil.
(c) The Second Party of Communism.
(d) The Lord's Chosen Way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What smells reminded the author of the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. What book was the author always reading on his job?
3. What did the author rejoice to see in his kitchen?
4. What name does the author keep calling God?
5. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)