|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
(a) To see his father.
(b) To use the facilities.
(c) To see his mother.
(d) To say his final goodbyes.
2. What political party was said to be unfriendly?
3. What made Mrs. Solovey leave the author's house?
(a) He asked her if he could marry one of her daughters.
(b) He asked her why she came to Brownsville.
(c) He told her about his daydreams.
(d) He told her about his mother's depression.
4. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The fire escapes.
(c) The front porch.
(d) The living room.
5. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
(a) Someone to walk to school with.
(b) Someone to be his true friend.
(c) Someone to run with at night.
(d) Someone he could bully around.
6. How does the author describe David's house?
7. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
(a) The memory of the mad woman on the block.
(b) The memory of the sandwich dropping in the dust.
(c) The memories of follow the leader nights.
(d) The memory of the candy store.
8. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Palestine, France and Italy.
(b) France, Italy and Ireland.
(c) Palestine, England and Africa.
(d) Italy, France and Scotland.
9. What was the Rabbi reluctant to do at Mrs. Solovey's funeral?
(a) Allow her to be burried in the synagogues cemetary.
(b) Say the necessary prayers over her grave.
(c) Allow a viewing.
(d) Say the necessary prayers inside the synagogue.
10. What was the keyword when referred to Mendy?
11. When the author gets off at Fulton Street, how does he feel?
12. What did the women of Brownsville expect to receive from the drugstore owner?
(b) Free samples.
(d) Beauty tips.
13. What part of the neighborhood tests the author?
(a) The drugstore where he dropped the sandwich.
(b) The back wall of the drugstore.
(c) The school yard.
(d) The alley where all the boys played handball.
14. What book did Mrs. Solovey take the author back to?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Jane Eyre.
(c) Dr. Zhivago.
(d) Anna Karenina.
15. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(b) The Right Hand of the Devil.
(c) The Second Party of Communism.
(d) The Lord's Chosen Way.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author was a young man, who did he think about after he turned the light out at night?
2. What was the greatest mystery about the Soloveys?
3. What did the author think about museums and parks?
4. Was the author good at handball?
5. What had the author's final paper been about?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)