|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of coat did Mr. Solovey wear?
2. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He preferred singers over instruments.
(b) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
(c) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
(d) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
3. What did the author experience when reading the words of the little blue book?
(a) He had an moment of enlightenment.
(b) His felt his soul die. He felt too much guilt.
(c) The turn of every page was a labored effort.
(d) Words so descriptive he could sense what was happening in the book.
4. When the author gets off at Fulton Street, how does he feel?
5. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Palestine, England and Africa.
(b) Palestine, France and Italy.
(c) France, Italy and Ireland.
(d) Italy, France and Scotland.
6. What language does the author share with Mrs. Solovey?
7. What did Mrs. Solovey's coffin look like?
(a) It was black and plain.
(b) It was a plain wooden box.
(c) It was wrapped in a Star of David flag.
(d) It was ornately carved.
8. What did the author and his mother admire as they walked past Belmont Avenue?
(a) The meats hanging in the delicatessen window.
(b) The architecture of the new buildings going in.
(c) The jars of colored water in the drugstore.
(d) The fruits and vegetables.
9. What was the keyword when referred to Mendy?
10. What could you see someone doing into the late hours of dusk in Brownsville?
(a) Someone stealing coal from the cellars.
(b) Someone sifting through garbage.
(c) Boys playing handball.
(d) Someone settling down in an empty alleyway for the night.
11. Where was the turn off to "all things good" the author's sixteenth summer?
(a) Chester Street.
(b) Eastern Parkway.
(c) Pitkin Avenue.
(d) The turnoff to the Italian neighborhood.
12. What street was the author's house on?
(a) Broadview Ave.
(b) Pitkin Street.
(c) Rockaway Ave.
(d) Chester Street.
13. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
(a) The front porch.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The living room.
(d) The fire escapes.
14. Finish this sentence. " The Socialist Party is _______."
(a) The Right Hand of the Devil.
(b) The Third Party of Capitolism.
(c) The Second Party of Communism.
(d) The Lord's Chosen Way.
15. What happened to Mr. Solovey's business?
(a) It was bought by a chain.
(b) It was robbed.
(c) It burned down.
(d) It went bankrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
2. Was the author good at handball?
3. Who was the neighbor girl dating that her mother was ashamed of?
4. On Fifth Avenue, the author found something he was surprised by. What was it?
5. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)