|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second year of The Great Depression, how long had it been since the author's father had work?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Nine weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
2. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
(b) When he practiced, it was for fun. When he played, it was for money.
(c) He felt it was fun because he felt like he could escape when he played.
3. What name does the author keep calling God?
(c) El Elyon.
4. Mr. and Mrs. Solovey had children, what were their children?
(a) Two daughters.
(b) Two sons.
(c) A son and two daughters.
(d) Three daughters.
5. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
(a) The memory of the candy store.
(b) The memories of follow the leader nights.
(c) The memory of the sandwich dropping in the dust.
(d) The memory of the mad woman on the block.
6. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
(a) To see his father.
(b) To see his mother.
(c) To say his final goodbyes.
(d) To use the facilities.
7. What other author did the author feel he could trust?
(a) Samuel Hopkins Adams.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) William Blake.
8. What language was commonly used in the author's neighborhood?
9. What could you see someone doing into the late hours of dusk in Brownsville?
(a) Boys playing handball.
(b) Someone settling down in an empty alleyway for the night.
(c) Someone sifting through garbage.
(d) Someone stealing coal from the cellars.
10. Was Mr. Solovey a friendly man?
(a) He was friendly when he wasn't in the drugstore.
(c) He was friendly when he was in the drugstore.
11. What did Mr. Solovey wear that was unusual to the author?
(b) Patent leather shoes.
(c) A black alpaca trench coat, even in the summer.
(d) A wedding band.
12. How does the author describe David's house?
13. What kind of coat did Mr. Solovey wear?
14. Who was the neighbor girl dating that her mother was ashamed of?
(a) An Italian boy.
(b) A French boy.
(c) An Irish boy.
(d) A Negro boy.
15. What did the author hide under his coat on the way home Passover week?
(a) Packaged white bread.
(b) A jar of pickles.
(c) Packaged matzah.
(d) A bottle of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the keyword when referred to Mendy?
2. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
3. What book was the author always reading on his job?
4. The author changed where he walked after supper. Where did he walk to?
5. How did Mrs. Solovey commit suicide?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)