|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does the author share with Mrs. Solovey?
2. Whose house did the author associate with being the furthest from home?
(a) Mrs. Klein's.
(b) Mrs. Hooper's.
(c) Mrs. Deutscher's.
(d) Mrs. Rosenwasser's.
3. What happened to Mr. Solovey's business?
(a) It was bought by a chain.
(b) It burned down.
(c) It went bankrupt.
(d) It was robbed.
4. What part of the neighborhood tests the author?
(a) The alley where all the boys played handball.
(b) The drugstore where he dropped the sandwich.
(c) The back wall of the drugstore.
(d) The school yard.
5. During the summer, children sleep somewhere other than their beds in Brownsville. Where do they sleep?
(a) The front porch.
(b) The fire escapes.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
6. What political party was said to be lighthearted?
7. What was the keyword when referred to Mendy?
8. Where did the author stop his nightly runs around the block during summertime?
(a) The drugstore.
(b) The Soloveys.
(c) The Rylots.
(d) The candy store.
9. What did the author like best about Highland Park Reservoir?
(a) It was away from home.
(b) It was cooler than the rest of the neighborhood.
(c) It was quiet.
(d) It was where the girls went to sun themselves.
10. Where were the communist headquarters?
(a) Thatford Avenue.
(b) Rockaway Avenue.
(c) Pitkin Street.
(d) Broadview Street.
11. Why did the author listen to the singers?
(a) He liked to hear the echoes of voices against the brick.
(b) He preferred singers over instruments.
(c) He liked to hear the different parts of the music.
(d) He liked to see the blonde girl in the choir sing.
12. The author changed where he walked after supper. Where did he walk to?
(a) The reservoir.
(b) His girlfriend's house.
(c) The new library.
(d) The new candy shop down the street.
13. What street was the author's house on?
(a) Broadview Ave.
(b) Chester Street.
(c) Pitkin Street.
(d) Rockaway Ave.
14. What countries had the Solovey's lived in?
(a) Palestine, England and Africa.
(b) France, Italy and Ireland.
(c) Italy, France and Scotland.
(d) Palestine, France and Italy.
15. The author needed something urgent at the end of the chapter, The Block and Beyond, Pages 109-131. What did he need?
(a) To see his father.
(b) To use the facilities.
(c) To see his mother.
(d) To say his final goodbyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion did the author feel when he was working during his sixteenth summer?
2. Why did the C.P. Organizer say the author couldn't join the Socialist party?
3. Something frightening happened to the author when we went to get coal one winter day -- what was it?
4. What has replaced an entire block of drugstores and candy shops in the neighborhood?
5. What did the author ride from the east side?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)