|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second year of The Great Depression, how long had it been since the author's father had work?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Nine weeks.
(d) Nine months.
2. Where did Mrs. Solovey grow up?
3. Where were political rival meetings held?
(a) Pitkin Street.
(c) The vegetarian restaurant.
(d) The drugstore.
4. Who did the author call "The Chicken Lady?"
(a) Mrs. Baruch.
(b) Mrs. Deutscher.
(c) Mrs. Klein.
(d) Mrs. Rosenthal.
5. What happened to Mr. Solovey's business?
(a) It was robbed.
(b) It burned down.
(c) It was bought by a chain.
(d) It went bankrupt.
6. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
(a) When he practiced, it was for fun. When he played, it was for money.
(c) He felt it was fun because he felt like he could escape when he played.
7. Who's name was on the sign the boys pasted to the outside wall of a house on Chester Street?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Eddie Cicotte.
(c) Dazzy Vance.
(d) Cy Young.
8. What had the author's final paper been about?
(a) A violin.
(b) His relationship with his mother.
(c) Mrs. Solovey's suicide.
(d) His Socialist party friends.
9. When the author read books, he yearned for something. What did he yearn for?
(a) Someone to walk to school with.
(b) Someone to be his true friend.
(c) Someone to run with at night.
(d) Someone he could bully around.
10. What building does the author miss the most, though?
(a) The drugstore.
(b) The fabric shop.
(c) The candy shop.
(d) The hardware store.
11. What smells reminded the author of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Ground coffee, spices and paint.
(b) Tar, ground coffee and soap.
(c) Urine, sweat and oil.
(d) Bleach, ground coffee and spices,
12. What kind of coat did Mr. Solovey wear?
13. What memory is most strong for the author as he walks down Chester Street?
(a) The memory of the candy store.
(b) The memory of the sandwich dropping in the dust.
(c) The memory of the mad woman on the block.
(d) The memories of follow the leader nights.
14. What was the first restaurant the author ever sat in?
(a) "Adina's Cafe."
(b) "The Corner Bakery."
(c) "Elliott's Deli."
(d) The "Coffee Pot."
15. What did the women of Brownsville expect to receive from the drugstore owner?
(a) Free samples.
(b) Beauty tips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. and Mrs. Solovey had children, what were their children?
2. Why did the author daydream of Mrs. Solovey?
3. How did the author try to show his parents he loved them?
4. What book did Mrs. Solovey take the author back to?
5. What book did Isrolik carry around with him?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)