|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author stopped at the neighborhood drugstore to have lunch one day. While eating his sandwich, some of it fell into a pile of dust. How did this make the author feel?
(a) Happy, as the sandwich had a hair in it.
(b) Abandoned by the world.
(c) Judged by those who saw him have the accident.
(d) Shameful for wasting food.
2. What nickname does the author give the second street?
(a) The "show street."
(b) The "sweet street."
(c) The "slow street."
(d) The "short street."
3. What was marriage to the author's parents?
(a) A life sentence.
(b) More joyous than words could express.
(c) An institution.
(d) A whirlwind of emotions.
4. What nickname did the author's father give him?
5. When did the author feel the only time his favorite food could be eaten in "good conscience"?
(a) After he finished playing stickball.
(b) Saturday night.
(c) On his way home from school.
(d) Friday night.
6. What is seltzer to the poor Jews?
(a) Something only the wealthy could acquire.
(b) Used as a medicine.
(c) Worse than their drinking water.
(d) A luxury.
7. When the narrative begins, how many years has it been since the author left to live in "the city?"
(a) Ten Years.
(b) Three Years.
(c) Five Years.
(d) Thirteen Years.
8. When the author discovers a new development in a familiar part of town, he had a particular feeling toward seeing the development. What was the feeling he had?
9. How did the author secretly think of the synagogue?
(a) He felt more comfortable there than he did at school.
(b) It was a happy place.
(c) As a mean place.
(d) He thought it was haunted.
10. Did the author feel he could openly discuss his feelings about God?
(b) He felt he could only discuss them with his friends from school.
(c) He only felt he could express them to his parents.
11. What time of day is the mind's "grazing time?"
(c) Dinner time.
(d) The time between dinner and bedtime in which only relaxing was done.
12. What profession was the author's mother?
(a) A Maid.
(b) A Cobbler.
(c) A Dressmaker.
(d) A Breadmaker.
13. Who was Mrs. B said to have physical relations with?
(a) The English teacher.
(b) The physical education teacher.
(c) The math teacher.
(d) The principal.
14. How did the author's parents feel of his generation?
(a) They were free.
(b) They were careless.
(c) They were too frivolous.
(d) They were foolish.
15. How did the author feel when he walked into his synagogue?
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
2. What did the author's family regularly do after their Friday night discussions?
3. What is the name of the second road the author mentions?
4. The author preferred the movie house over the synagogue, why did he favor the movie house?
5. What can the author see in every ground floor kitchen window?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)