|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the author's lasting feelings about his school years?
(a) A feeling of success.
(b) A feeling of inadequacy.
(c) A lifelong sense of being judged.
(d) A hopeful feeling of accomplishment.
2. What kind of dresses did Mrs. B wear?
(a) Plain, old fashioned dressses.
(b) Stiff Nun's habits.
(c) Ankle length flowery dresses.
(d) Billowing chiffon dresses.
3. What trait did the author's mother posses that she was most ashamed of?
(a) She was superstitious.
(b) She had a limp on her right side.
(c) She couldn't speak English.
(d) She had a large scar on her hand.
4. What did the women of Brownsville force their children to do?
(b) Stay outside until dinner was ready.
(c) Shop for dinner.
(d) Beat rugs on the stoop.
5. What emotion does the author speak of in great length in Section 3?
6. What nickname does the author give the second street?
(a) The "sweet street."
(b) The "slow street."
(c) The "short street."
(d) The "show street."
7. Who could the author hear crying in the streets at night as a child?
(a) The woman down the street who's cat ran away.
(b) The evicted tenants of the neighborhood.
(c) The man who had just lost his wife.
(d) The neighborhood cats.
8. What did the author's mother do to remember her parent's deaths?
(a) She went to the cemetary where they were buried and laid flowers at their graves.
(b) She went dancing, her parents favorite thing to do together.
(c) She sat around and told stories of her parents to her friends.
(d) She lit the mourning candle twice a year.
9. What did the older neighbor boys do when they came home from work?
(a) Call on the author's cousin.
(b) Go out for a drink.
(c) Play instruments out on the street.
(d) Released pigeons.
10. What did the big Italians sell and during what time?
(a) Baked apples during the fall.
(b) Yogurt during the spring.
(c) Watermelons during the summer.
(d) Roasted nuts during the winter.
11. What did the three dressmakers and the author's mother speak of that made the author upset?
(b) The war.
12. What drove the author's mother to work so hard?
(b) Duty to her husband.
(c) They needed the money.
(d) She felt the women in the neighborhood needed her.
13. What did the children buy from the Syrian vendors?
(b) Yaknit al-kama.
14. When the author discovers a new development in a familiar part of town, he had a particular feeling toward seeing the development. What was the feeling he had?
15. What political way of thinking did the author's parents practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. To the author's mother, what was the gateway to romance?
2. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
3. In what battle did the brother of the author's cousin go missing?
4. When did the author feel the only time his favorite food could be eaten in "good conscience"?
5. Who did the author say it was good to be back among?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)