|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Mrs. B said to have physical relations with?
(a) The English teacher.
(b) The principal.
(c) The math teacher.
(d) The physical education teacher.
2. How did the author secretly think of the synagogue?
(a) As a mean place.
(b) It was a happy place.
(c) He thought it was haunted.
(d) He felt more comfortable there than he did at school.
3. What is seltzer to the poor Jews?
(a) Something only the wealthy could acquire.
(b) Worse than their drinking water.
(c) A luxury.
(d) Used as a medicine.
4. What did the author do every time he walked into the civics teachers classroom?
(a) Made a bee-line for his seat.
(b) Looked for the girl with the red hair.
(c) Made sure there wasn't "pop quiz" written on the board.
(d) Looked for his name on the blue chart.
5. What did the big Italians sell and during what time?
(a) Yogurt during the spring.
(b) Roasted nuts during the winter.
(c) Baked apples during the fall.
(d) Watermelons during the summer.
6. What nickname does the author give the second street?
(a) The "show street."
(b) The "slow street."
(c) The "short street."
(d) The "sweet street."
7. When the author discovers a new development in a familiar part of town, he had a particular feeling toward seeing the development. What was the feeling he had?
8. What country did the civics teacher come from?
9. What emotion does the author speak of in great length in Section 3?
10. What did the author's mother do out of loneliness every evening?
(a) She would cry silently at the sink while she washed dishes.
(b) She would stare out at the street.
(c) She would cry silently at her sewing machine.
(d) She would read from her parent's memoirs.
11. In what battle did the brother of the author's cousin go missing?
(a) The Bergman Offensive.
(b) The Battle of Tannenberg.
(c) The Second Battle of Oituz.
(d) The Battle of Sarikamish.
12. Who inspired the teaching style and curriculum of the author's civics teacher?
(a) Calvin Coolidge.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
13. What description does the author give Belmont Avenue?
(a) The "loneliest street in Brownsville."
(b) The "merriest street in Brownsville."
(c) The "loudest street in Brownsville."
(d) The "brightest street in Brownsville."
14. How did the author describe the Episcopalian church in the neighborhood?
(b) Romantic and ethereal.
(d) Quite plain.
15. What did the three dressmakers and the author's mother speak of that made the author upset?
(d) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author spend his school days staring at in fear and anxiety?
2. What did Mrs. E do when she abandoned her housework for a half hour every morning?
3. What association did the New York World hold for the author?
4. What did the author's family regularly do after their Friday night discussions?
5. To the author's mother, what was the gateway to romance?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)