|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Block and Beyond, p. 77 - 109.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author keep going back to the barber shop?
(a) To take lessons from the barber.
(b) To hear the latest political discussions.
(c) To look at two pictures from the first world war.
(d) To read the newspapers from New York.
2. What did Mrs. E do when she abandoned her housework for a half hour every morning?
(a) She gossiped with the neighborhood ladies.
(b) She sat in the vegetarian restaurant.
(c) She weeded her small flower garden.
(d) She listened to her "shows" on the radio.
3. When the author played handball, was it for fun?
(a) When he practiced, it was for fun. When he played, it was for money.
(c) He felt it was fun because he felt like he could escape when he played.
4. Who did the author call "The Chicken Lady?"
(a) Mrs. Baruch.
(b) Mrs. Klein.
(c) Mrs. Rosenthal.
(d) Mrs. Deutscher.
5. What was the author's favorite school experience?
(a) His weekly visits with the speech pathologist.
(b) Saying the pledge of allegiance.
(c) Walking past the girls' bathroom.
(d) Visiting the assembly hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author want more than anything?
2. What time of day is the mind's "grazing time?"
3. Which of the stations is the author's favorite?
4. Was the author good at handball?
5. Where does the author step off the train when he first enters Brownsville?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)