|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Kitchen, p. 51 - 73.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author's mother do to remember her parent's deaths?
(a) She lit the mourning candle twice a year.
(b) She sat around and told stories of her parents to her friends.
(c) She went dancing, her parents favorite thing to do together.
(d) She went to the cemetary where they were buried and laid flowers at their graves.
2. What did the children buy from the small Italians?
(d) Shaved Ice.
3. What were the author's lasting feelings about his school years?
(a) A hopeful feeling of accomplishment.
(b) A feeling of inadequacy.
(c) A lifelong sense of being judged.
(d) A feeling of success.
4. What was the author's favorite delight in all seasons?
(a) Food from the delicatessen.
(b) Roasted apples from the Jewish vendor.
(c) Caramels from the candy store.
(d) Popcorn from the Coney Island dives.
5. Where did the civics teacher stand during the tests he gave?
(a) At the back of the classroom.
(b) In the middle of the classroom.
(c) Behind his desk.
(d) Outside the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author likened his parents and himself to something rather simple. What did he liken them to?
2. What drove the author's mother to work so hard?
3. Did the author feel he could openly discuss his feelings about God?
4. To the author's mother, what was the gateway to romance?
5. What did the three dressmakers and the author's mother speak of that made the author upset?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)