|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, From the Subway to the Synagogue, p. 30 - 47.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author spend his school days staring at in fear and anxiety?
(a) A notebook that sat on the teachers desk.
(b) The clock.
(c) The boy in the second row who would tease him during lunch.
(d) The ruler that was used to punish the students that hung on the wall.
2. What is seltzer to the poor Jews?
(a) A luxury.
(b) Worse than their drinking water.
(c) Something only the wealthy could acquire.
(d) Used as a medicine.
3. What still lines Belmont Avenue that was there during the author's childhood?
(b) Pots of flowers.
4. Who did the author feel could intercede with God for him?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) The Biblical Deborah.
(d) His Rabbi.
5. What instrument did the author play as a child?
(a) The clarinet.
(b) The piano.
(c) The trumpet.
(d) The violin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author always have in his hands when he was waiting fort the girl by the junkyard?
2. What does the author connect New York rush hour with from his childhood?
3. What belief about Jews did the author grow up with?
4. Who could the author hear crying in the streets at night as a child?
5. Where was city land all around Brownsville? What were those pieces of land used for?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)