|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, From the Subway to the Synagogue, p. 30 - 47.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author always have in his hands when he was waiting fort the girl by the junkyard?
(a) His prayer book.
(b) His lucky penny.
(c) His little red books.
(d) His baseball mitt.
2. What did Mrs. E do when she abandoned her housework for a half hour every morning?
(a) She gossiped with the neighborhood ladies.
(b) She listened to her "shows" on the radio.
(c) She sat in the vegetarian restaurant.
(d) She weeded her small flower garden.
3. What did the Jewish vendors sell roasted potatoes, baked apples and knishes from?
(a) A black oil barrel.
(b) A shiny metal cart.
(c) A tin stove.
(d) A wood cart.
4. What nickname did the author's father give him?
5. Where does the author step off the train when he first enters Brownsville?
(a) Main Street.
(b) Broadview Avenue.
(c) Rockaway Avenue.
(d) 35th Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is seltzer to the poor Jews?
2. Who did the author say it was good to be back among?
3. What feelings does the author experience when he gets off the train?
4. The author's childhood school is still standing in the neighborhood, how does the school feel to the author?
5. How did the author feel about being confirmed?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)