|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, From the Subway to the Synagogue, p. 30 - 47.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author discovers a new development in a familiar part of town, he had a particular feeling toward seeing the development. What was the feeling he had?
2. What did the street always smell faintly of?
(a) The sewage from the squatter's lot.
(b) The garbage left on the curb.
(c) The candy from the wholesaler's windows.
(d) Freshly baked bread.
3. What did the children buy from the Syrian vendors?
(d) Yaknit al-kama.
4. What did the team receive if they won the competition between the "Army Navy" tests the civics teacher gave?
(a) A free pass to the bathroom.
(b) A gold star.
(c) An automatic passing grade on a test.
(d) A blue star.
5. Where did the author run away from his father?
(a) Atlantic Avenue.
(b) Prospect Park.
(c) Grand Army Plaza.
(d) The Abraham and Straus Store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did the civics teacher come from?
2. The author's childhood school is still standing in the neighborhood, how does the school feel to the author?
3. Where does the author step off the train when he first enters Brownsville?
4. What did the Jewish vendors sell roasted potatoes, baked apples and knishes from?
5. What still lines Belmont Avenue that was there during the author's childhood?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)