|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, From the Subway to the Synagogue, p. 1 - 30..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument did the author play as a child?
(a) The clarinet.
(b) The trumpet.
(c) The violin.
(d) The piano.
2. Where was city land all around Brownsville? What were those pieces of land used for?
(a) The neighborhood garden.
(b) Cutting and storing tombstones.
(c) A plot of land for squatters to camp.
(d) The neighborhood waste site.
3. What were the author's lasting feelings about his school years?
(a) A lifelong sense of being judged.
(b) A feeling of inadequacy.
(c) A hopeful feeling of accomplishment.
(d) A feeling of success.
4. Where does the author step off the train when he first enters Brownsville?
(a) 35th Street.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Broadview Avenue.
(d) Rockaway Avenue.
5. The author stopped at the neighborhood drugstore to have lunch one day. While eating his sandwich, some of it fell into a pile of dust. How did this make the author feel?
(a) Happy, as the sandwich had a hair in it.
(b) Shameful for wasting food.
(c) Abandoned by the world.
(d) Judged by those who saw him have the accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author discovers a new development in a familiar part of town, he had a particular feeling toward seeing the development. What was the feeling he had?
2. What can the author see in every ground floor kitchen window?
3. Where did the author think he lived as a child?
4. What is the era in which the author's childhood took place?
5. What did the author always have in his hands when he was waiting fort the girl by the junkyard?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)