|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Block and Beyond, p. 77 - 109.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what battle did the brother of the author's cousin go missing?
(a) The Battle of Tannenberg.
(b) The Second Battle of Oituz.
(c) The Battle of Sarikamish.
(d) The Bergman Offensive.
2. Was the author good at handball?
(b) The book doesn't clarify.
(c) He was the best in the neighborhood.
3. What description does the author give Belmont Avenue?
(a) The "brightest street in Brownsville."
(b) The "loneliest street in Brownsville."
(c) The "loudest street in Brownsville."
(d) The "merriest street in Brownsville."
4. What can the author see in every ground floor kitchen window?
(a) Containers of milk and fresh poppy seed rolls.
(b) Pies cooling for dessert.
(c) Jars of beans and fresh herbs.
(d) Lemonade and jam.
5. What did the big Italians sell and during what time?
(a) Yogurt during the spring.
(b) Roasted nuts during the winter.
(c) Watermelons during the summer.
(d) Baked apples during the fall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did the author's father give him?
2. Why did the author believe the neighborhood madwoman stood on their stoop so long?
3. How did the author feel about the women who sat around his dinner table on Friday nights?
4. What part of the neighborhood tests the author?
5. What did the children buy from the Syrian vendors?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)