|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Block and Beyond, p. 77 - 109.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the older neighbor boys do when they came home from work?
(a) Released pigeons.
(b) Go out for a drink.
(c) Play instruments out on the street.
(d) Call on the author's cousin.
2. Where did the author think he lived as a child?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) The most lonely place in the world.
(c) The best place a child could grow up.
(d) The place most suited to his family.
3. The author's mother was a hard worker but there was something she couldn't do. What was that one thing?
(a) Work the victrola.
(b) Read English.
(c) Read at all.
(d) Do basic math.
4. When did the author feel the only time his favorite food could be eaten in "good conscience"?
(a) After he finished playing stickball.
(b) Friday night.
(c) Saturday night.
(d) On his way home from school.
5. What did the author ride from the east side?
(a) A taxi.
(b) The trolley.
(c) The subway.
(d) The ferry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession was the author's mother?
2. Where does the author step off the train when he first enters Brownsville?
3. What nickname did the author's father give him?
4. What kind of books did the author go to his cousin's room to read?
5. What did the Jewish vendors sell roasted potatoes, baked apples and knishes from?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)