|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located at the summit of Mt. Washington?
2. What does Bryson consider perfect about hiking in Vermont?
3. What is the percentage of through hikers who make it to the Hundred Mile Wilderness?
4. Why does Katz leave the trail and go into the woods?
5. What prevents Bryson from continuing his hike in Pennsylvania when he is just hitting his stride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
2. Describe Kitattiny Mountain and how it was formed.
3. Summarize why Bryson is so angry about Katz drinking again.
4. How do Bryson and Katz adapt to hiking through Maine's wilderness?
5. Describe how Bryson returns to the hotel room in Waynesboro after he walks to Kmart.
6. Describe Chicken John's claim to fame.
7. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
8. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
9. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
10. Describe what Bryson finds strange about the town of Centralia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the damage to the environment that Bryson and Katz witness as they hike the Appalachian Trail.
2) Include the day hikes Bryson takes in Pennsylvania in the evaluation of environmental issues.
3) Analyze the men's reaction to what they see. Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain the reasons Katz begins drinking again when he returns to the Appalachian Trail in August.
2) What does he reveal about himself to Bryson about his emotional condition?
3) Describe the effect his drinking and change of attitude affect the hike. Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)