|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katz do because of loneliness and despair?
2. What is the percentage of through hikers who make it to the Hundred Mile Wilderness?
3. What is the name of the mountain Bryson is hiking when it begins to rain?
4. What is the total walking distance of the typical American in one week?
5. How does Bryson describe the town of Hanover where he lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kitattiny Mountain and how it was formed.
2. Summarize the statistics Laurie Potteiger, the Information Specialist at Harper's Ferry, gives to Bryson about the number of thru hikers who hiked the Appalachian Trail the year before.
3. Describe the circumstances when Bryson comes close to becoming a hypothermia victim.
4. Summarize Bryson's experience hiking in Pennsylvania.
5. What has Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massachusetts, inspired?
6. Describe the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
7. Summarize what Katz does to pass the time while Bryson is at Kmart.
8. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
9. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
10. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
Essay Topic 2
1) Examine how Bill Bryson uses humor throughout the book, even in dangerous circumstances.
2) Analyze and describe at least three instances of humor depicted in the story.
3) Explain why Bryson writes the situation with comical imagery and what is revealed to the reader through humor.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the fears Bryson experiences throughout the book.
2) Describe three events in the story where Bryson's fears paralyze him.
3) How does Katz help Bryson with his fears?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)