|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far had Bryson and Katz hiked when they parted ways?
2. Who joins Bryson and Katz in one of the Shenandoah shelters?
3. How do people get to the top of Mt. Washington if they do not hike?
4. How large were the Appalachian Mountains eons ago?
5. What is the mountain that is a wall of rock 1,300 feet high above the Delaware River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
2. Describe what Bryson finds strange about the town of Centralia.
3. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
4. Summarize why Bryson is so angry about Katz drinking again.
5. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
6. What has Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massachusetts, inspired?
7. How do Bryson and Katz adapt to hiking through Maine's wilderness?
8. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
9. Describe how Bryson returns to the hotel room in Waynesboro after he walks to Kmart.
10. Describe Chicken John's claim to fame.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare Stephen Katz's thoughts and ideas as he hikes in the first section of the novel his emotional state when he goes to hike the Hundred Mile Wilderness with Bryson.
2) Cite examples from the book that describe his emotional problems and the need for alcohol.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Bryson and Katz.
2) Describe if they are good hiking partners or not ?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)