|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson use as a confirmation that they are really in the wilderness?
2. What do Bryson and Katz have to cross over in the Maine woods?
3. What prevents Bryson from continuing his hike in Pennsylvania when he is just hitting his stride?
4. Which mountains are older than the oceans and continents?
5. Who joins Bryson and Katz in one of the Shenandoah shelters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Bryson's experience hiking in Pennsylvania.
2. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
3. How do Bryson and Katz adapt to hiking through Maine's wilderness?
4. Summarize the weather conditions in which most people fall victim to hypothermia.
5. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
6. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
7. Summarize the statistics Laurie Potteiger, the Information Specialist at Harper's Ferry, gives to Bryson about the number of thru hikers who hiked the Appalachian Trail the year before.
8. Describe the circumstances when Bryson comes close to becoming a hypothermia victim.
9. Summarize what Katz does to pass the time while Bryson is at Kmart.
10. Describe Kitattiny Mountain and how it was formed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare Stephen Katz's thoughts and ideas as he hikes in the first section of the novel his emotional state when he goes to hike the Hundred Mile Wilderness with Bryson.
2) Cite examples from the book that describe his emotional problems and the need for alcohol.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Bill Bryson grows as a character from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward life and hiking?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward civilization from the start of his journey to the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the fears Bryson experiences throughout the book.
2) Describe three events in the story where Bryson's fears paralyze him.
3) How does Katz help Bryson with his fears?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)