|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chicken John's claim to fame?
2. What is unusual about the town of Centralia?
3. What does Bryson discover when it starts raining in the mountains of New England?
4. Who set up the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy in 1785?
5. What do Bryson and Katz do when they reach the logging road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
2. Summarize Bryson's experience hiking in Pennsylvania.
3. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
4. Describe Kitattiny Mountain and how it was formed.
5. Describe the circumstances when Bryson comes close to becoming a hypothermia victim.
6. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
7. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
8. Describe Bryson's thoughts on areas through which he thinks the Appalachian Trail should pass.
9. Summarize the statistics Laurie Potteiger, the Information Specialist at Harper's Ferry, gives to Bryson about the number of thru hikers who hiked the Appalachian Trail the year before.
10. Describe what Bryson finds strange about the town of Centralia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Bryson and Katz.
2) Describe if they are good hiking partners or not ?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the damage to the environment that Bryson and Katz witness as they hike the Appalachian Trail.
2) Include the day hikes Bryson takes in Pennsylvania in the evaluation of environmental issues.
3) Analyze the men's reaction to what they see. Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the fears Bryson experiences throughout the book.
2) Describe three events in the story where Bryson's fears paralyze him.
3) How does Katz help Bryson with his fears?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)