|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome?
2. How long is the Appalachian Trail?
3. Who is the first person to hike the Appalachian Trail in a single summer?
4. Who gives Bryson gear shopping etiquette instructions?
5. What is causing Bryson and Katz to hurry the descent of Blood Mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first look Bryson and Katz have of the Smoky Mountains.
2. Describe the reaction Bryson and Katz have toward Hiawassee when they arrive there with Donna and her fiancé.
3. How long is the Appalachian Trail and in what states does it begin and end?
4. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
5. Describe the contrast between the weather in the south with the weather a hundred miles further north in Virginia.
6. Describe the weather as Bryson and Katz cross the ledge of Big Butt Mountain and reach Bearpen Gap.
7. As Bryson and Katz wait for a cabdriver, what do they suddenly decide about their destination?
8. Explain how a hiker manages to get on the Appalachian Trail at Amicola Falls State Park when it is seven miles from the nearest highway.
9. Summarize what Mary Ellen says about Bryson and Katz when she meets other hikers on the trail.
10. Describe the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Bill Bryson grows as a character from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward life and hiking?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward civilization from the start of his journey to the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Examine how Bill Bryson uses humor throughout the book, even in dangerous circumstances.
2) Analyze and describe at least three instances of humor depicted in the story.
3) Explain why Bryson writes the situation with comical imagery and what is revealed to the reader through humor.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)