|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a diversion available at the campground?
2. What is the most compelling reason for Bryson to hike the trail?
3. What is Bryson's longstanding impression of the woods?
4. What is an accurate description of Bryson and Katz's new friend?
5. What makes the trail easier for Bryson and Katz when they hike on after the snowstorm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
2. What is the reaction of Katz and Bryson when they come out of the wilderness to the civilization of Knoxville?
3. Summarize the secret pact that Bryson and Katz make about how to get to Hiawassee.
4. Describe the town of Gatlinburg which is just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
5. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
6. Describe the first look Bryson and Katz have of the Smoky Mountains.
7. Describe the weather as Bryson and Katz cross the ledge of Big Butt Mountain and reach Bearpen Gap.
8. Explain why Katz is angry with Bryson when he says that they are leaving Rainbow Springs in the morning to get back on the trail.
9. Explain the type of hiking that Bryson and Katz will have to do through the Smoky Mountains.
10. Summarize the accomplishments of Earl V. Shaffer during the summer of 1948.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Bill Bryson grows as a character from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward life and hiking?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward civilization from the start of his journey to the end?
Essay Topic 2
The wilderness is the main constant throughout the novel. It is depicted in all the chapters of the book.
1) Explain the different images Bryson uses of the wilderness as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the wilderness in each part of the book?
3) What meaning does the wilderness have for Bryson and Katz?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)