|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the true creature of the Smokies?
2. Where do Bryson and Katz stay after eight days of hiking?
3. What do Katz and Bryson hear about Mary Ellen two days after they leave her behind?
4. What creatures were living in Birch Spring Gap Shelter?
5. How do Katz and Bryson get to Knoxville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the vision Benton MacKaye has for Appalachian Trail.
2. What are some of the issues Bryson worries about with regard to hiking on the AT?
3. Why are Bryson and Katz looking forward to hiking the eight miles to Waynesboro?
4. Summarize Katz's attitude toward hiking.
5. Describe the town of Gatlinburg which is just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
6. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
7. Summarize the secret pact that Bryson and Katz make about how to get to Hiawassee.
8. Summarize the first decision Bryson and Katz make about continuing their hike along the AT.
9. Summarize what Bryson does when he brings all his camping equipment home.
10. Mary Ellen becomes a hiking companion to Bryson and Katz. Describe her experience as a hiker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Bryson is trying to convey about the wilderness and civilization?
2) How does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature and the wild?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters react to the everyday struggles of hiking the Appalachian Trail?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) How has their experiences on the trail affected their attitudes toward the future?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Bryson and Katz.
2) Describe if they are good hiking partners or not ?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)