|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the idea of Trail Magic that all AT hikers believe?
2. Why is Katz walking most places at the time he calls Bill?
3. Who maps out the actual paths and begins construction?
4. What is college student, Zack, doing about the snowbound situation?
5. Which food is Katz complaining about because Bryson left it behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
2. Summarize Katz's attitude toward hiking.
3. What are the benefits Bill Bryson believes he will get from hiking the Appalachian Trail?
4. How long is the Appalachian Trail and in what states does it begin and end?
5. Explain why Katz is angry with Bryson when he says that they are leaving Rainbow Springs in the morning to get back on the trail.
6. Describe the Chattahoochee Forest.
7. What is the reaction of Katz and Bryson when they come out of the wilderness to the civilization of Knoxville?
8. Why are Bryson and Katz looking forward to hiking the eight miles to Waynesboro?
9. As Bryson and Katz wait for a cabdriver, what do they suddenly decide about their destination?
10. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Bryson is trying to convey about the wilderness and civilization?
2) How does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature and the wild?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters react to the everyday struggles of hiking the Appalachian Trail?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Katz and Bryson with the Spring hikers they meet along the trail.
2) Summarize the impact each group has on one another.
3) How is each group realistic in its view of hiking?
4) How do their attitudes toward hiking differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain the reasons Katz begins drinking again when he returns to the Appalachian Trail in August.
2) What does he reveal about himself to Bryson about his emotional condition?
3) Describe the effect his drinking and change of attitude affect the hike. Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)