|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Bryson's fears about the hike?
2. What does railroad man, Henry Bagley, do in 1890?
3. What are the attractions in Gatlinburg?
4. What does Mary Ellen tell another hiker at Plumorchard Gap Shelter about Katz and Bryson?
5. Where is 12-year-old David Anderson mauled and killed by a black bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome.
2. Summarize the weather report the man at the airport check-in gives to Bryson and Katz as they prepare to leave for the Appalachian Trail.
3. How long is the Appalachian Trail and in what states does it begin and end?
4. Describe the reaction Bryson and Katz have toward Hiawassee when they arrive there with Donna and her fiancé.
5. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
6. Describe the first look Bryson and Katz have of the Smoky Mountains.
7. Describe the Chattahoochee Forest.
8. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
9. Explain why Katz is angry with Bryson when he says that they are leaving Rainbow Springs in the morning to get back on the trail.
10. Summarize the first decision Bryson and Katz make about continuing their hike along the AT.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the changes to the Appalachian Trail from the time it first came into being to the present day.
2) What differences from the original plan have been made?
3) What effect does the National Forest Service have on the trail?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Bill Bryson's reasons for wanting to hike the Appalachian Trail.
2) In what ways did he accomplish what he set out to do?
3) In what ways is the hike a disappointment for him?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Bryson and Katz.
2) Describe if they are good hiking partners or not ?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)