|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson notice while walking the trail in Georgia?
2. What are Bryson and Katz's reaction to the commercialism of Knoxville?
3. What is the name of the blind man who hikes the entire Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog?
4. Where does Bryson set up the tent for practice?
5. What is an accurate description of Bryson and Katz's new friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bryson describe his first day on the trail as hell?
2. Summarize the first decision Bryson and Katz make about continuing their hike along the AT.
3. Explain why Bryson thinks woods are spooky.
4. Summarize the realization that Bryson and Katz come to as they look at a map of the Appalachian Trail in Gatlinburg.
5. Describe the reaction Bryson and Katz have toward Hiawassee when they arrive there with Donna and her fiancé.
6. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
7. Describe the weather as Bryson and Katz cross the ledge of Big Butt Mountain and reach Bearpen Gap.
8. Explain why Katz is angry with Bryson when he says that they are leaving Rainbow Springs in the morning to get back on the trail.
9. Why are Bryson and Katz looking forward to hiking the eight miles to Waynesboro?
10. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Bryson is trying to convey about the wilderness and civilization?
2) How does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature and the wild?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters react to the everyday struggles of hiking the Appalachian Trail?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Mary Ellen.
2) How is she depicted by the author?
3) How is she revealed through her own words and actions?
4) In what way is she revealed through other character's comments?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the changes to the Appalachian Trail from the time it first came into being to the present day.
2) What differences from the original plan have been made?
3) What effect does the National Forest Service have on the trail?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)