|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unexpected factor with the snowstorm?
2. What does Bryson notice while walking the trail in Georgia?
3. Which is another of Bryson's fears?
4. Where do botanists consider the finest mix of mesophytic forest?
5. What do the dreary Georgia towns and the dreary people bring to mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize why the US Forest Service builds so many roads.
2. Describe the town of Gatlinburg which is just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
3. Summarize the secret pact that Bryson and Katz make about how to get to Hiawassee.
4. As Bryson and Katz wait for a cabdriver, what do they suddenly decide about their destination?
5. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
6. Mary Ellen becomes a hiking companion to Bryson and Katz. Describe her experience as a hiker.
7. Describe the reaction Bryson and Katz have toward Hiawassee when they arrive there with Donna and her fiancé.
8. Summarize what Bryson does when he brings all his camping equipment home.
9. Describe the two things Bryson is shocked about when he goes to buy equipment for the hike.
10. Describe the first look Bryson and Katz have of the Smoky Mountains.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the changes to the Appalachian Trail from the time it first came into being to the present day.
2) What differences from the original plan have been made?
3) What effect does the National Forest Service have on the trail?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the fears Bryson experiences throughout the book.
2) Describe three events in the story where Bryson's fears paralyze him.
3) How does Katz help Bryson with his fears?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Bryson uses local color and imagery to describe the wilderness and the towns he and Katz visit.
2) Cite descriptive examples of trees, wildlife, waterways, towns, shelters, and motels.
3) Does the imagery Bryson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the wilderness and towns along the Appalachian Trail? Explain.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)