|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the greatest hotel in the White Mountains?
(a) The Profile House
(b) The Crawford House
(c) Mount Washington Hotel
(d) Bretton Woods Hotel
2. Why do Bryson and Katz hike to old iron works?
(a) It has a shelter.
(b) They are looking for a ride out of the wilderness.
(c) It has a cafeteria.
(d) It is a tourist attraction.
3. How many hotels were scattered in the White Mountains by the 1890's?
4. Where do Katz and Bryson agree to continue their hike in August?
(a) The White Mountains
(d) The Hundred Mile Wilderness
5. What are the weather conditions when most people are victims to hypothermia?
(a) Temperate weather
(b) Blizzard conditions
(c) Freezing temperatures
(d) Rain and wind
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Union troops does Stonewall Jackson capture at Harper's Ferry?
2. What dangers do hikers have to watch for in Pennsylvania?
3. What is the mountain that is a wall of rock 1,300 feet high above the Delaware River?
4. For what is Bryson yearning?
5. What do Bryson and Katz do when they reach the logging road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
2. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
3. How do Bryson and Katz adapt to hiking through Maine's wilderness?
4. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
5. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
6. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
7. Summarize the statistics Laurie Potteiger, the Information Specialist at Harper's Ferry, gives to Bryson about the number of thru hikers who hiked the Appalachian Trail the year before.
8. Summarize why Bryson is so angry about Katz drinking again.
9. Describe the circumstances when Bryson comes close to becoming a hypothermia victim.
10. Describe Chicken John's claim to fame.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)