|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katz tell Bryson he has to protect them from bears?
(a) Pepper spray
(b) A Bowie knife
(c) A BB gun
(d) A toenail clipper
2. Why does Katz stay in his room while staying in Waynesboro?
(a) He has a cold.
(b) A jealous husband is after him.
(c) He is watching the X-Files.
(d) He is catching up on sleep.
3. What does Bryson use as a confirmation that they are really in the wilderness?
(a) He sees a bald eagle.
(b) He sees a moose.
(c) He sees a bear.
(d) He cannot see the sky through the trees.
4. What is the last long stretch of hiking for Katz and Bryson before ending the first part of their trek?
(a) Hundred Mile Wilderness
(b) The Appalachian Mountains
(c) Shenandoah National Park
(d) White Mountains
5. What prevents Bryson from continuing his hike in Pennsylvania when he is just hitting his stride?
(a) Tuckerman's Ravine
(b) Lehigh Gap
(c) Palmerton Gorge
(d) Centralia Mine
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katz leave the trail and go into the woods?
2. What are the weather conditions like on Mount Washington?
3. What has devastated a mountain of foliage in Palmerton?
4. What does Bryson discover when he walks to Kmart in Waynesboro?
5. Who is Bryson's hiking partner on his day hikes in New Hampshire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize why Bryson is so angry about Katz drinking again.
2. Describe how Bryson returns to the hotel room in Waynesboro after he walks to Kmart.
3. Summarize the statistics Laurie Potteiger, the Information Specialist at Harper's Ferry, gives to Bryson about the number of thru hikers who hiked the Appalachian Trail the year before.
4. Describe the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
5. How do Bryson and Katz adapt to hiking through Maine's wilderness?
6. Describe Bryson's thoughts on areas through which he thinks the Appalachian Trail should pass.
7. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
8. Describe what Bryson finds strange about the town of Centralia.
9. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
10. Explain why Mount Washington has such extreme weather conditions.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)