|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bryson insist that they sleep in shelters from now on?
(a) Bryson is tired of the tent.
(b) Bryson's tent has a tear.
(c) Bryson's sleeping bag is not warm enough.
(d) Bryson is afraid of bears.
2. Why does Katz leave the trail and go into the woods?
(a) He hears someone calling for help.
(b) He hears a bear.
(c) To wants to get water.
(d) He wants to be alone.
3. What is Bryson's goal before he meets up with Katz again?
(a) Hiking as much of New Hampshire as possible
(b) Hiking as much of Vermont as possible.
(c) Staying in shape
(d) Joining a gym
4. Who is Bryson's hiking partner on his day hikes in New Hampshire?
(a) Bill Abdu
(b) Stephen Katz
(c) His wife
(d) Mary Ellen
5. What is unusual about the town of Centralia?
(a) It has rare flowering trees.
(b) It has toxic waterways.
(c) It has a rare form of iron ore.
(d) An underground fire has been burning for decades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Bryson and Katz hike to old iron works?
2. How many Union troops does Stonewall Jackson capture at Harper's Ferry?
3. What does Bryson believe beauty has become for most Americans?
4. What is it like hiking in the Hundred Miles Wilderness?
5. Where do Katz and Bryson agree to continue their hike in August?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
2. Summarize the behavior of the hikers that Bryson and Katz meet in Gravel Springs Hut.
3. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
4. Summarize why Bryson is so angry about Katz drinking again.
5. Describe Bryson's thoughts on areas through which he thinks the Appalachian Trail should pass.
6. Describe how Bryson returns to the hotel room in Waynesboro after he walks to Kmart.
7. Describe the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
8. Describe Kitattiny Mountain and how it was formed.
9. Describe Chicken John's claim to fame.
10. Explain why Katz starts drinking again.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)