|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katz tell Bryson he has to protect them from bears?
(a) A Bowie knife
(b) A BB gun
(c) Pepper spray
(d) A toenail clipper
2. Why does Katz leave the trail and go into the woods?
(a) He hears a bear.
(b) He hears someone calling for help.
(c) He wants to be alone.
(d) To wants to get water.
3. What do Bryson and Katz do when they reach the logging road?
(a) Eat lunch
(b) Pitch the tent
(c) Take a nap
4. How many Union troops does Stonewall Jackson capture at Harper's Ferry?
5. What does Bryson discover when he walks to Kmart in Waynesboro?
(a) Walking to Kmart is harder than hiking the Appalachian Trail.
(b) It is a short, boring walk.
(c) It is a pleasant, sunny walk.
(d) It is an easy walk along the highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson use as a confirmation that they are really in the wilderness?
2. What became of the grand hotels that were built on Mt. Washington?
3. How large were the Appalachian Mountains eons ago?
4. What is the historical significance of Harper's Ferry?
5. Why does Katz stay in his room while staying in Waynesboro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the weather conditions in which most people fall victim to hypothermia.
2. Describe Bryson's thoughts on areas through which he thinks the Appalachian Trail should pass.
3. Summarize what Katz does to pass the time while Bryson is at Kmart.
4. Summarize the plans Bryson and Katz make now that they have completed the first stage of their hiking journey.
5. Explain why Katz starts drinking again.
6. Describe the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
7. What has Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massachusetts, inspired?
8. Describe what is killing the hemlock trees along the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains and how is it being treated.
9. What is the decision that Bryson and Katz make after Katz gets lost in the woods.
10. Summarize Bryson's experience hiking in Pennsylvania.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)