|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the primary role of the Forest Service?
(a) Maintaining hiking trails
(b) Road building
(c) Develop scenic views, rest stops, and camping areas
(d) Negotiate with logging contractors
2. What does Mary Ellen tell another hiker at Plumorchard Gap Shelter about Katz and Bryson?
(a) They helped her out alot.
(b) They are wimps.
(c) She is afraid on the trail without them.
(d) She is grateful for all they did for her.
3. What is an accurate description of Bryson and Katz's new friend?
4. What is the third state through which Bryson and Katz travel?
(a) North Carolina
5. What do Bryson and Katz begin hiking?
(a) The Rockies
(b) The Blue Ridge Mountains
(c) The Smokies
(d) The White Mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. Which true story by author, Herrero, describes the injuries a grizzly can deliver quickly?
2. Where does Bryson reside in the beginning of the book?
3. Who sees hiking as a dirty, pointless endeavor?
4. What is one of Bryson's fears about the hike?
5. Where do most hikers begin the Appalachian Trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits Bill Bryson believes he will get from hiking the Appalachian Trail?
2. Summarize what Bryson reads about on winter nights before he sets out on the Appalachian Trail.
3. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
4. Summarize what Mary Ellen says about Bryson and Katz when she meets other hikers on the trail.
5. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
6. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
7. Explain the type of hiking that Bryson and Katz will have to do through the Smoky Mountains.
8. Summarize what Bryson does when he brings all his camping equipment home.
9. Summarize the weather report the man at the airport check-in gives to Bryson and Katz as they prepare to leave for the Appalachian Trail.
10. Describe the forest of the Appalachian Trail in 1948.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)