|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do most hikers begin the Appalachian Trail?
(a) From north to south
(b) From south to north
(c) In October
(d) In September
2. What is the unexpected factor with the snowstorm?
(a) The fierce wind
(b) The total lack of wind
(c) Sudden onset
(d) Rapid accumulation
3. What was the famous event that took place in Dayton in 1925?
(a) Scopes trial
(b) Flash flood
(c) Gangland shooting
(d) Dayton tornado
4. What does Mary Ellen tell another hiker at Plumorchard Gap Shelter about Katz and Bryson?
(a) They are wimps.
(b) They helped her out alot.
(c) She is afraid on the trail without them.
(d) She is grateful for all they did for her.
5. Where does Bryson suggest he and Katz go to begin hiking again?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is college student, Zack, doing about the snowbound situation?
2. Where do Bryson and Katz stay after eight days of hiking?
3. What does Katz buy in Franklin that irritates Bryson?
4. What is the daydream of every hiker as they walk the trail?
5. What kills the Chestnut trees along the Appalachian Trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mary Ellen becomes a hiking companion to Bryson and Katz. Describe her experience as a hiker.
2. Explain why Katz is angry with Bryson when he says that they are leaving Rainbow Springs in the morning to get back on the trail.
3. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
4. What is the reaction of Katz and Bryson when they come out of the wilderness to the civilization of Knoxville?
5. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
6. Describe the forest of the Appalachian Trail in 1948.
7. Why does Bryson describe his first day on the trail as hell?
8. Why are Bryson and Katz looking forward to hiking the eight miles to Waynesboro?
9. Describe the town of Gatlinburg which is just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
10. As Bryson and Katz wait for a cabdriver, what do they suddenly decide about their destination?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)