|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do botanists consider the finest mix of mesophytic forest?
(a) The Smokies
(b) The White Mountains
(c) The Blue Ridge Mountains
(d) The Rockies
2. How do Katz and Bryson get to Knoxville?
(a) Riding on a horse
(b) Riding in a wagon
(c) Riding in a dump truck
(d) Riding in a cab
3. What is a major drawback to accepting a ride in the Pontiac?
(a) The music is painfully loud.
(b) The young couple shouts and argues.
(c) The car seems to be overheating.
(d) The driver is extremely drunk.
4. Why is Katz determined to take a top bunk?
(a) Heat rises
(b) Odors at floor level are nauseating
(c) He distrusts most of the crowd
(d) He intends to sleep late in to the morning
5. Who gives Bryson gear shopping etiquette instructions?
(b) Daughter's boyfriend
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bryson and Katz decide to return to the trail?
2. What does Bryson want to do right after getting cleaned up?
3. What do Bryson and Katz talk about as they dine in the Georgia Mountain Restaurant in Hiawassee?
4. What is the major drawback of AT trail maps?
5. What is the record for the longest section hike along the Appalachian Trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction Bryson and Katz have toward Hiawassee when they arrive there with Donna and her fiancé.
2. What is the reaction of Katz and Bryson when they come out of the wilderness to the civilization of Knoxville?
3. Describe the bunkhouse at Rainbow Springs Campground.
4. Why does Bryson describe his first day on the trail as hell?
5. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
6. Summarize what Mary Ellen says about Bryson and Katz when she meets other hikers on the trail.
7. Summarize the accomplishments of Earl V. Shaffer during the summer of 1948.
8. Describe the town of Gatlinburg which is just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
9. Explain the type of hiking that Bryson and Katz will have to do through the Smoky Mountains.
10. Summarize the secret pact that Bryson and Katz make about how to get to Hiawassee.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)