|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the highest point on the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Clingman's Dome
(b) Crescent Ridge
(c) Pike's Peak
(d) The Blue Ridge Mountains
2. How many people are attacked by bears each year on the entire AT?
3. How do Bryson and Katz feel once they realize they will never walk to Maine?
4. What is the weather like in Virginia?
(b) Windy and cold
(c) Rainy and cold
(d) Spring is in full swing.
5. What is the strange move Katz makes when he realizes they have chosen too much food?
(a) He removes all items from the cart except the freeze dried.
(b) He removes all the crackers, cookies and candy.
(c) He abandons the full cart in the aisle, gets an empty cart and starts over.
(d) He removes most of the items then reloads with many canned beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the amusement park Dolly Parton built in Gatlinburg?
2. What does the far shore of Fontana Lake border?
3. What is Bryson's joking impression of God's plan for him?
4. What does Bryson notice while walking the trail in Georgia?
5. What is the only accommodation available at the campground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize why the US Forest Service builds so many roads.
2. Mary Ellen becomes a hiking companion to Bryson and Katz. Describe her experience as a hiker.
3. Summarize what Mary Ellen says about Bryson and Katz when she meets other hikers on the trail.
4. Summarize the secret pact that Bryson and Katz make about how to get to Hiawassee.
5. Summarize the details of the National Trails System Act which was passed in 1968.
6. Summarize the weather report the man at the airport check-in gives to Bryson and Katz as they prepare to leave for the Appalachian Trail.
7. Explain how a hiker manages to get on the Appalachian Trail at Amicola Falls State Park when it is seven miles from the nearest highway.
8. Why are Bryson and Katz looking forward to hiking the eight miles to Waynesboro?
9. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
10. Summarize the plan that the Appalachian Trail Conference forms from Benton MacKaye's original idea.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)