|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the idea of Trail Magic that all AT hikers believe?
(a) When things look hopeless and will never change, along comes a positive change.
(b) A hiking party of five is a bad luck omen.
(c) Camp should be set by 6 p.m.
(d) Never stay more than two days in the same spot.
2. Who is the first person to hike the Appalachian Trail in a single summer?
(a) David Horton
(b) Earl Shaffer
(c) Bill Irwin
(d) Woodrow Murphey
3. Who sees hiking as a dirty, pointless endeavor?
(a) Mary Ellen
(c) Bryson's wife
4. What stands at Fontana Lake's western end?
(a) An electric dam
(b) Huge spruce trees
(c) A large shelter
(d) A cabin
5. What is a diversion available at the campground?
(a) Listening to country music for endless hours
(b) Looking at hanging wall pictures of previous hikers
(c) Hanging out at the stove in the office
(d) Playing board games endlessly
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bryson's joking impression of God's plan for him?
2. How do Katz and Bryson get to Knoxville?
3. What is the only accommodation available at the campground?
4. Which true story by author, Herrero, describes the injuries a grizzly can deliver quickly?
5. What is the third state through which Bryson and Katz travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the weather report the man at the airport check-in gives to Bryson and Katz as they prepare to leave for the Appalachian Trail.
2. Summarize the details of the National Trails System Act which was passed in 1968.
3. Summarize the accomplishments of Earl V. Shaffer during the summer of 1948.
4. Explain the type of hiking that Bryson and Katz will have to do through the Smoky Mountains.
5. Describe the first look Bryson and Katz have of the Smoky Mountains.
6. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
7. How long is the Appalachian Trail and in what states does it begin and end?
8. Summarize why the US Forest Service builds so many roads.
9. Summarize the first decision Bryson and Katz make about continuing their hike along the AT.
10. Describe the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)