|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The north point of the Appalachian Trail begins in which state?
2. How does Bryson feel about not hiking the entire Appalachian Trail?
(a) He feels like a failure.
(b) He feels good about it.
(c) He is angry at himself.
(d) He is disappointed.
3. What is the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome?
(a) Tired and drained
(b) Soaked and filthy
(d) Bloody and bruised
4. Who is the first person to hike the Appalachian Trail in a single summer?
(a) Woodrow Murphey
(b) Earl Shaffer
(c) David Horton
(d) Bill Irwin
5. How long is the Appalachian Trail?
(a) 2700 miles
(b) 800 miles
(c) 2100 miles
(d) 1200 miles
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bryson and Katz decide to return to the trail?
2. Where is 12-year-old David Anderson mauled and killed by a black bear?
3. What is David Anderson doing when the bear attacks?
4. Of what material are the shelters in the Rockies constructed?
5. What does Bryson conclude is the best advice in dealing with a bear in your midst?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mary Ellen becomes a hiking companion to Bryson and Katz. Describe her experience as a hiker.
2. Summarize the weather report the man at the airport check-in gives to Bryson and Katz as they prepare to leave for the Appalachian Trail.
3. Describe the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome.
4. As Bryson and Katz wait for a cabdriver, what do they suddenly decide about their destination?
5. Describe Stephen Katz, Bryson's hiking partner.
6. What is the reaction of Katz and Bryson when they come out of the wilderness to the civilization of Knoxville?
7. Summarize what Bryson does when he brings all his camping equipment home.
8. Explain why Bryson thinks woods are spooky.
9. Summarize the plan that the Appalachian Trail Conference forms from Benton MacKaye's original idea.
10. Why do Bryson and Katz feel guilty about leaving Mary Ellen behind in the woods?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)