|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bryson's wife supposed to pick them up, now that the first stage of the hike is over?
(a) Front Royal
(b) Mount Washington
(d) Cabin Creek
2. What does Bryson use as a confirmation that they are really in the wilderness?
(a) He sees a bald eagle.
(b) He sees a moose.
(c) He sees a bear.
(d) He cannot see the sky through the trees.
3. What was the name of the greatest hotel in the White Mountains?
(a) Mount Washington Hotel
(b) The Profile House
(c) The Crawford House
(d) Bretton Woods Hotel
4. What is Chicken John's claim to fame?
(a) He has been hiking the trail for half a year.
(b) He hikes the trail every year.
(c) He has hiked the trail seven times.
(d) He eats chickens every day.
5. What is Bryson's goal before he meets up with Katz again?
(a) Joining a gym
(b) Hiking as much of Vermont as possible.
(c) Staying in shape
(d) Hiking as much of New Hampshire as possible
6. Where do Katz and Bryson agree to continue their hike in August?
(a) The Hundred Mile Wilderness
(b) The White Mountains
7. What do Bryson and Katz do when they reach the logging road?
(a) Eat lunch
(b) Pitch the tent
(d) Take a nap
8. Why does Bryson insist that they sleep in shelters from now on?
(a) Bryson is tired of the tent.
(b) Bryson's tent has a tear.
(c) Bryson's sleeping bag is not warm enough.
(d) Bryson is afraid of bears.
9. What is the last long stretch of hiking for Katz and Bryson before ending the first part of their trek?
(a) Shenandoah National Park
(b) Hundred Mile Wilderness
(c) The Appalachian Mountains
(d) White Mountains
10. What are the weather conditions like on Mount Washington?
(a) The weather is extreme and quickly changes.
(b) The weather is balmy.
(c) The weather is usually warm and sunny.
(d) The weather is calm.
11. What happens to Bryson while hiking in the rain?
(a) He falls in the mud.
(b) He slips down a cliff.
(c) He catches a cold.
(d) He comes close to hypothermia.
12. What dangers do hikers have to watch for in Pennsylvania?
(a) Rattlesnakes and unreliable water sources
(c) Wild boar
(d) Grizzly bears
13. Which beautiful Appalachian ranges are at the north and west of Pennsylvania?
(a) Overland Mountain, Pike's Peak, and Jefferson Range
(b) Washington, Lafayette, and McKinley
(c) Crescent Peak, Clingman's Bluff, and Tuckerman's Ravine
(d) Nittany, Jacks, and Tussey
14. What is the estimate of people who hike the Appalachian Trail every year?
(a) Three or four thousand
(b) Three or four hundred
(c) Three or four million
(d) One million
15. How many miles of the Appalachian Trail run through Pennsylvania?
(a) 230 miles
(b) 50 miles
(c) 120 miles
(d) 145 miles
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katz leave the trail and go into the woods?
2. How large were the Appalachian Mountains eons ago?
3. What do Katz and Bryson decide to stop pretending?
4. What is it like hiking in the Hundred Miles Wilderness?
5. Who joins Bryson and Katz in Gravel Springs Hut?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)