|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far had Bryson and Katz hiked when they parted ways?
(a) 500 miles
(b) 65 miles
(c) 175 miles
(d) 250 miles
2. Why does Bryson insist that they sleep in shelters from now on?
(a) Bryson is afraid of bears.
(b) Bryson is tired of the tent.
(c) Bryson's tent has a tear.
(d) Bryson's sleeping bag is not warm enough.
3. What does Bryson use as a confirmation that they are really in the wilderness?
(a) He cannot see the sky through the trees.
(b) He sees a bear.
(c) He sees a moose.
(d) He sees a bald eagle.
4. How does Bryson describe the town of Hanover where he lives?
(a) A rowdy college town
(b) A small, typical New England college town
(c) A quiet, boring town
(d) A busy, overcrowded town
5. What do Bryson and Katz do when they reach the logging road?
(a) Pitch the tent
(b) Eat lunch
(d) Take a nap
6. What does Bryson believe beauty has become for most Americans?
(a) Something to ignore
(b) Something to savor
(c) Something to cherish
(d) Something to drive to
7. When does Bryson get back on the trail for day hikes?
(a) The end of May
(b) The beginning of June
(c) The end of June
(d) The middle of July
8. What is the mountain that is a wall of rock 1,300 feet high above the Delaware River?
(a) Potomac Peak
(b) Kitattiny Mountain
(c) Washington Peak
(d) Potomac Mountain
9. Who set up the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy in 1785?
(a) Alden Partridge
(b) Jeremy Washington
(c) Gene Greylock
(d) Michael McKinley
10. What do Bryson and Katz have to cross over in the Maine woods?
(a) Wooden bridges
(b) Man made rope ladders
(d) Lagoons and rivers
11. What would Bryson like to see along the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Better accommodations
(c) Historic farms and villages
12. What is the oldest shelter on the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Baker Peak Lodge
(b) Bromley Hut
(c) Happy Hill Cabin
(d) Prospect Cabin
13. Who maintains the stone lodges which are located in the White Mountains?
(a) The state of New Hampshire
(b) The Appalachian Mountain Club
(c) The White Mountain Society
(d) The National Forest Service
14. How large were the Appalachian Mountains eons ago?
(a) As large as the Rockies
(b) As large as the Smokies
(c) As large as the Himalayas
(d) As large as the White Mountains
15. What does Katz do because of loneliness and despair?
(a) He sits on the trail and refuses to move.
(b) He jumps into the river.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He starts drinking again.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Bryson yearning?
2. How many Union troops does Stonewall Jackson capture at Harper's Ferry?
3. What do Katz and Bryson decide to stop pretending?
4. How many hotels were scattered in the White Mountains by the 1890's?
5. What are the weather conditions like on Mount Washington?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)