|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Bryson and Katz hike to old iron works?
(a) They are looking for a ride out of the wilderness.
(b) It is a tourist attraction.
(c) It has a shelter.
(d) It has a cafeteria.
2. Which mountains are older than the oceans and continents?
(a) The Himalayas
(b) The Rockies
(c) The Appalachians
(d) The Smokies
3. What are the weather conditions when most people are victims to hypothermia?
(a) Rain and wind
(b) Temperate weather
(c) Freezing temperatures
(d) Blizzard conditions
4. What do Bryson and Katz have to cross over in the Maine woods?
(b) Wooden bridges
(c) Lagoons and rivers
(d) Man made rope ladders
5. How far had Bryson and Katz hiked when they parted ways?
(a) 500 miles
(b) 175 miles
(c) 250 miles
(d) 65 miles
6. What is the estimate of people who hike the Appalachian Trail every year?
(a) Three or four thousand
(b) One million
(c) Three or four hundred
(d) Three or four million
7. What is located at the summit of Mt. Washington?
(a) A petting zoo
(b) A cafeteria and gift shops
(c) An American flag
(d) A ranger station
8. What is the oldest shelter on the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Happy Hill Cabin
(b) Bromley Hut
(c) Prospect Cabin
(d) Baker Peak Lodge
9. What would Bryson like to see along the Appalachian Trail?
(c) Historic farms and villages
(d) Better accommodations
10. What is it like hiking in the Hundred Miles Wilderness?
(a) It is a casual walk.
(b) It is slow and difficult.
(c) It is pleasant and relaxing.
(d) It is easier than the rest of the trail.
11. What is the last long stretch of hiking for Katz and Bryson before ending the first part of their trek?
(a) Hundred Mile Wilderness
(b) White Mountains
(c) The Appalachian Mountains
(d) Shenandoah National Park
12. What do Katz and Bryson decide to stop pretending?
(a) To be through hikers
(b) To be friends
(c) To be tough guys
(d) To be mountain men
13. What is the mountain that is a wall of rock 1,300 feet high above the Delaware River?
(a) Potomac Mountain
(b) Potomac Peak
(c) Kitattiny Mountain
(d) Washington Peak
14. Who maintains the stone lodges which are located in the White Mountains?
(a) The state of New Hampshire
(b) The National Forest Service
(c) The Appalachian Mountain Club
(d) The White Mountain Society
15. Why does Bryson insist that they sleep in shelters from now on?
(a) Bryson's sleeping bag is not warm enough.
(b) Bryson is afraid of bears.
(c) Bryson's tent has a tear.
(d) Bryson is tired of the tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the town of Centralia?
2. How does Bryson describe the town of Hanover where he lives?
3. What are the weather conditions like on Mount Washington?
4. What has devastated a mountain of foliage in Palmerton?
5. What does Bryson discover when he walks to Kmart in Waynesboro?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)