|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Bryson from continuing his hike in Pennsylvania when he is just hitting his stride?
(a) Centralia Mine
(b) Palmerton Gorge
(c) Tuckerman's Ravine
(d) Lehigh Gap
2. What is the last long stretch of hiking for Katz and Bryson before ending the first part of their trek?
(a) The Appalachian Mountains
(b) White Mountains
(c) Hundred Mile Wilderness
(d) Shenandoah National Park
3. What dangers do hikers have to watch for in Pennsylvania?
(a) Rattlesnakes and unreliable water sources
(b) Grizzly bears
(d) Wild boar
4. Why does Katz stay in his room while staying in Waynesboro?
(a) A jealous husband is after him.
(b) He has a cold.
(c) He is catching up on sleep.
(d) He is watching the X-Files.
5. What do Katz and Bryson decide to stop pretending?
(a) To be through hikers
(b) To be tough guys
(c) To be friends
(d) To be mountain men
6. How many hotels were scattered in the White Mountains by the 1890's?
7. What do Bryson and Katz have to cross over in the Maine woods?
(a) Man made rope ladders
(b) Wooden bridges
(c) Lagoons and rivers
8. What does Bryson consider perfect about hiking in Vermont?
(a) Vermont reminds him of England.
(b) Vermont has level, easy hiking trails.
(c) He can commute with his car and be home at night to sleep in his own bed.
(d) Vermont has rolling fields and pleasant streams.
9. What happens to Bryson and Katz in the lagoon at Moxie Bald Mountain?
(a) They see a mother bear and cub.
(b) They get bitten by mosquitoes.
(c) They both fall under the water.
(d) They catch fish for dinner.
10. What is Bryson's goal before he meets up with Katz again?
(a) Hiking as much of Vermont as possible.
(b) Staying in shape
(c) Hiking as much of New Hampshire as possible
(d) Joining a gym
11. How many miles of the Appalachian Trail run through Pennsylvania?
(a) 50 miles
(b) 230 miles
(c) 120 miles
(d) 145 miles
12. What became of the grand hotels that were built on Mt. Washington?
(a) They grew larger and more prosperous.
(b) They closed down one-by-one.
(c) They burned down.
(d) They became tourist traps.
13. What would Bryson like to see along the Appalachian Trail?
(b) Better accommodations
(d) Historic farms and villages
14. What is the name of the mountain Bryson is hiking when it begins to rain?
(a) Mt. McKinley
(b) Mt. Lafayette
(c) Mt. Killingly
(d) Mt. Washington
15. What has devastated a mountain of foliage in Palmerton?
(a) Fire ants
(c) Gypsy moth caterpillars
(d) A zinc factory
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the oldest shelter on the Appalachian Trail?
2. Which beautiful Appalachian ranges are at the north and west of Pennsylvania?
3. Who joins Bryson and Katz in one of the Shenandoah shelters?
4. For what is Bryson yearning?
5. What is killing all the hemlock trees along the Appalachian Trail?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)