|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who set up the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy in 1785?
(a) Gene Greylock
(b) Jeremy Washington
(c) Michael McKinley
(d) Alden Partridge
2. What is located at the summit of Mt. Washington?
(a) A cafeteria and gift shops
(b) A petting zoo
(c) A ranger station
(d) An American flag
3. How far had Bryson and Katz hiked when they parted ways?
(a) 500 miles
(b) 250 miles
(c) 175 miles
(d) 65 miles
4. What is unusual about the town of Centralia?
(a) It has toxic waterways.
(b) It has a rare form of iron ore.
(c) It has rare flowering trees.
(d) An underground fire has been burning for decades.
5. What prevents Bryson from continuing his hike in Pennsylvania when he is just hitting his stride?
(a) Tuckerman's Ravine
(b) Centralia Mine
(c) Lehigh Gap
(d) Palmerton Gorge
6. How many miles of the Appalachian Trail run through Pennsylvania?
(a) 230 miles
(b) 145 miles
(c) 120 miles
(d) 50 miles
7. What is Bryson afraid is staring at him when he sees two glowing eyes in the darkness?
(a) A skunk
(b) A cougar
(c) A wolf
(d) A bear
8. When does Bryson get back on the trail for day hikes?
(a) The end of June
(b) The beginning of June
(c) The end of May
(d) The middle of July
9. What mountain inspired Melville's Moby Dick.
(a) Mount Lafayette
(b) Mount McKinley
(c) Mount Greylock
(d) Mount Washington
10. How does Bryson describe the town of Hanover where he lives?
(a) A rowdy college town
(b) A quiet, boring town
(c) A busy, overcrowded town
(d) A small, typical New England college town
11. Why do Bryson and Katz hike to old iron works?
(a) It is a tourist attraction.
(b) It has a cafeteria.
(c) It has a shelter.
(d) They are looking for a ride out of the wilderness.
12. What does Bryson discover when he walks to Kmart in Waynesboro?
(a) It is a pleasant, sunny walk.
(b) It is an easy walk along the highway.
(c) Walking to Kmart is harder than hiking the Appalachian Trail.
(d) It is a short, boring walk.
13. What is Chicken John's claim to fame?
(a) He hikes the trail every year.
(b) He eats chickens every day.
(c) He has hiked the trail seven times.
(d) He has been hiking the trail for half a year.
14. Which mountains are older than the oceans and continents?
(a) The Smokies
(b) The Himalayas
(c) The Rockies
(d) The Appalachians
15. What does Katz do because of loneliness and despair?
(a) He sits on the trail and refuses to move.
(b) He starts drinking again.
(c) He jumps into the river.
(d) He goes home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Katz and Bryson agree to continue their hike in August?
2. What happens to Katz in the Hundred Mile Wilderness?
3. For what is Bryson yearning?
4. What is the mountain that is a wall of rock 1,300 feet high above the Delaware River?
5. What do Bryson and Katz have to cross over in the Maine woods?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)